If you are worried about having oily and greased hair then by following these simple homemade remedies you can get rid of them.
Let us start with this small imagination. You get up in the morning very happy.You wash your hair nicely, brush them up beautifully.
But to your surprise after few hours when you look yourself in the mirror your hair looks oily and all messed up. It’s looks like as if you haven’t washed your hair.
Don’t worry. We have a solution to this.First let us understand how this oil is produced.
This oil is produced naturally in the scalp to keep hair healthy, but when the secretion is more, the hair becomes oily.
It looks heavy and unmanageable, it further makes the scalp prone to dandruff and itchiness. To protect your hair from oil, you need to keep the scalp free from grease.
However, having a head bath daily is not always a good idea. Some chemicals in shampoos can further aggravate the problem.
The Causes of Oily Hair:
To prevent and remove the grease from hair, it is important to look at the root causes.
Excess secretion of oil from the sebaceous glands leads to the accumulation of sebum/oil causing greasy scalp. It is necessary to avoid the spread of sebum into scalp to prevent any hair damage.
Moreover, sebum blocks the hair follicle and disturbs the blood circulation, resulting in weak hair. This condition can be caused due to the following factors:
- Abnormalities in hormonal functions in women due to the menstrual cycle, use of birth control pills, etc.
- Excess stress
- Excess consumption of oily, rich food
- Poorly adapted hair care
Easy And Effective Home Remedies
Here below are some quick and easy home remedies that you can try at home to get rid of oily and greasy hair.
Everyday washing your hair will help you get rid of excess oil from the scalp.
- Rinse your hair properly every time you shampoo to prevent any oil left over residues. These residues if persists, can easily attract more oil and dirt.
- Get shampoos that are specifically designed for oily hair. Oily hair would need a shampoo that is beyond the pH range of 4 to 7.
2. Aloe Vera
One of the best home remedies to treat oily hair is the use of aloe Vera gel. Steps to be followed are:
- Take one cup of mild shampoo and mix a tbsp of lemon juice to it. To this mixture add one tsp of fresh aloe Vera gel.
- Mix all the items well and apply the required amount on your oily hair.Leave it for a few minutes and then rinse it off completely.
- Use this every day for better results and store the mixture in the refrigerator.
3. Egg Yolk
Egg yolk is an easily available item that you can use on your hair as it helps to condition your hair and to remove excess oils. Steps to use egg yolk for oily hair are:
- Take two beaten egg yolks and add a few drops of lemon juice to it. Mix well.
- Wet your hair, apply this mixture on your hair and leave it for five minutes.
- Then carefully rinse off your hair.
- You may use this mixture on your hair two to three times a week to get rid of oily hair.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
This can do wonders in removing hair grease from the scalp. You need to make sure that you use only diluted apple cider vinegar on your hair. Steps to be followed are:
- Take about two to three tbsps of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in a mug of water and mix it well.
- Use this mixture to rinse your hair and quickly wash it off after a few minutes.
- Use it 2 to 3 times on a weekly basis.
5. Witch Hazel Oil
Steps to use Witch hazel oil in removing oil from the hair are:
- Take four drops of witch hazel oil and mix two tablespoons of water with it.
- Dab a cotton ball in it and then you can apply this cotton ball on your scalp.
- This helps in reducing the oiliness of the hair. Use it daily for best results.
6. Occasional Usage of Bath Soap
This is a pretty easy solution and does not require many items.
- Try using bathing soap on your head while you are bathing.
- Apply it on your scalp and hair and use your hands to get a rich lather. Let it sit there for 2 minutes and then wash it off.
- Use bath soap just once a week on your hair to get rid of excess oil. Regular usage may damage your hair.
7. Black Tea
Tea contains tannic acid that helps in making your hair dry, thus preventing oiliness.
- Boil a few black tea leaves or tea powder in a glass of water.
- Let this mixture become lukewarm and then apply this directly on your scalp and hair, and wait for about 4 minutes.
- Use some water and shampoo to wash it off and get relief from oily hair.
Vodka is the ideal hair tonic to treat oily hair.
- Mix vodka and water in 1:2 ratio.
- Rinse your hair with this vodka mix and wait for a few minutes. Then wash it off. It will make your hair dry in few minutes.
- Alternatively, you can use this mix as a spray on your hair to get rid of excess oil in very less time.
Honey can also be used in the following way:
- Take 2 tsp of pure honey, one egg yolk and mix them together. Allow it to dissolve for 30 minutes.
- Then apply this mix on your hair and massage all over your scalp for a few minutes.
- Rinse it properly after that and then use a hard shampoo to wash it off.
- Follow this process twice weekly for good results.
10. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice, which has so many nutritional qualities can also be used for treating oily and greasy hair.
- Take a cup of water. To this water mix some lemon juice and 3 teaspoons of honey in it.
- Allow this mixture to dissolve completely while mixing them well. Apply this on your hair and wait for about 4 minutes.
- Wash it off with a good shampoo. Repeat this thrice weekly to get best results.
11. Follow a Healthy and Routine Diet
Maintaining a healthy diet helps to get rid of excess oil from your hair.
- Drinking plenty of water daily to keep your body hydrated.
- Learn to say no to oily foods. Eat foods rich in omega three fatty acids, vitamin A, and protein to maintain healthy hair.
- Try and include certain fats like olive oil, nuts, and fish in your diet.
- Include a lot of fruits in your diet, which will keep your scalp clean.
12. Henna and Olive Oil
- Mix 3 tsp of powdered henna and 1 egg in a bowl.
- Then add 2 tbsps of honey and a tbsp of olive oil to it and mix all the ingredients well.
- Make a smooth paste using little lukewarm water.
- Apply this paste on your hair carefully from root to tip.
- Cover your head and let it rest there for about 2 hours.
- Then wash your hair carefully with a mild shampoo.
13. Diluted Beer
Beer is acidic in nature and thus helps in removing the excess oil from your hair and makes it look flawless. Make sure that you use only diluted beer on your hair.
- Make a mixture of beer and water in the ratio 1:1.
- After washing your hair regularly apply it to drain your hair and leave for about 4 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with water.
14. Baking Soda
Steps to use baking soda to treat oily hair are:
- With water- Mix one tbsp of baking soda in a cup of water and wash your hair thoroughly with this mixture.
- With shampoo-You can also use baking soda with an ordinary shampoo and rinse your hair thoroughly with it.Do this twice a week.
15. Henna Powder
Henna powder makes the hair smooth and shiny and also helps in removing the excess oil.
- Take 2 cups of water and mix 6 tbsps of henna in it.
- Mix them well to make a smooth paste.
- Now apply this on your hair and leave it till it dries on your hair.
- Rinse off your hair with plain water or by a mild shampoo.
16. Say No to Scratching
- Comb your hair only when it’s required, excessive combing will spread the oil on the scalp and make your hair look even more oily.
- Rubbing your scalp or scratching your scalp excessively will agitate the sebaceous glands thus producing excess oil in your scalp. So never scratch your hair or the scalp.
17. Fuller’s Earth
Being a natural absorbent, fuller’s earth can be used to solve the problem of oily hair. Steps to be followed are:
- Add a few drops of water to 3 tbsps of fuller’s earth to make a paste. (You may need to adjust the amount of fuller’s earth.)
- Apply this paste on your scalp and hair.
- Let it rest there for about 20 minutes and then wash it off using lukewarm water.
Note: Use this treatment once a week or a few times in a month.
Getting Rid Of Greasy Hair Overnight
- One of the best ways to get rid of oily and greasy hair overnight is to wash your hair with a high-quality oil free shampoo to remove the sticky oils from your hair and scalp.
- As discussed earlier, you can also use inexpensive natural ingredients like baking soda, apple cider vinegar, aloe-Vera, lemon and egg yolk to keep the grease and oil in your hair under control.
Getting Rid Of Greasy Hair Fast At Home
1. Don’t Wash Your Hair Every Day:
In the process of washing your hair, natural moisturizing oils are also gets removed. So wash your hair with a good oil removal shampoo not more than three times a week to get rid of the excess oil from your hair.
Note: During the first couple of weeks your hair may look oily in between each hair wash, as your scalp is still used to producing more oil. But with time, it will balance out.
2. Ditch the Hair Conditioner:
Some hair experts advise skipping the conditioner altogether. If you still want to use it then limit it only to the tips of the hair.
Using more conditioner can make your hair get oily faster, so the frequency of washing your hair would increase which will unnecessarily harm your hair.
3. Use Good Quality Shampoos, Conditioners, and Hair Products:
Go for Natural products, which will lead to a less build-up of oil and you won’t have to wash your hair too often. Prefer to use oil controlling shampoos.
4. Rinse Your Hair Thoroughly To Avoid Residue on Your Hair:
After shampooing, rinse your hair thoroughly so that no residue is left behind which can otherwise make your hair attract more dirt and oil. The mantra is to rinse for at least 30 seconds to avoid any leftover residue.
5. Minimize Contact With Hot Temperature:
When your hair comes in contact with hot temperature, oil production increases, and the hair looks more greasy.
Hot temperature not only makes your hair oily but also causes premature graying of your hair and early hair loss. So you can follow three simple tips to protect your hair from hot temperatures:
- Use lukewarm or cold water for washing your hair daily.
- Use hair dryers at low temperatures.
- Protect your hair from sunlight in summers. Wear hats or tie bandana around your head when you go out in the hot summer days.
6. Avoid Stress And Depression:
Stress and depression cause the hormonal imbalance that can result in more production of oil on your skin and hair. Stress and depression can be tackled by exercising, doing yoga or meditation.
This will help you to get rid of the oily hair and other skin and hair problems.
The Oil production on the scalp is a natural and healthy secretion by the scalp. When this flow exceeds a certain limit and makes your hair look stringy and greasy all the time then it’s high time that you check on your hair.
By using the above-stated tips and home remedies, you can get rid of excess oil easily.
Write us your valuable suggestions and feedback in the comment section below.