Baking soda and lemon are items that can usually be found in every household.Baking soda is the common name given to sodium bicarbonate, which is a chemical base that regulates acidic pH levels in substances. This property makes it a useful component of healing therapies and concoctions.
Lemon also has numerous benefits. It is a citrus fruit with a high content of vitamin C, and it can provide the body with antioxidants, calcium, potassium, and fiber.
It is known as a booster of the immune system and a promoter of body detoxification.When the properties of these two ingredients are combined, the result could be indeed extraordinary.
Are you wondering how? Read this article to get to know about the benefits and uses of baking soda and lemon juice.
USES OF BAKING SODA AND LEMON JUICE
The mixture has several uses in different aspects of life. It can be used as a drink, as a body care product, and even as a home tool. This article enumerates the different benefits under each category:
The mixture made of baking soda and lemon juice is a potent detoxifier that can provide many health benefits to the body when consumed. The ingredients are inexpensive and commonly found in the kitchen or nearby food stores.
The benefits that baking soda and lemon juice can provide to the health when consumed in the right proportions include:
2. pH Neutralization
Acidic or low pH can increase the chances of fatigue, disrupted sleep, and disorders like cancer, arthritis, and osteoporosis.
The juice extracted from lemon along with baking soda can regulate the pH level of the body by making it more alkaline. It helps it in reaching the ideal value, which is around 7.35.
3. Natural Antacid
Sodium bicarbonate is a natural antacid that neutralizes the excessive acid secreted in the stomach. The mixture of soda with water triggers burping, and hence the relief from gas. This makes it a useful remedy for acid reflux and heartburn pain.
4. Body Purification:
Lemon juice is a natural and mild diuretic that helps in the detoxification of the body. It promotes the flushing out of toxins and water from the digestive system, rejuvenates the liver, and the gallbladder. It also helps in the absorption of nutrients.
5. Energy Boost:
Intense exercises lead to the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles, which causes tiredness and pain. To overcome this, you can prepare a natural energizing drink with a teaspoon of sea salt, half a teaspoon of baking soda, a tablespoon of lemon juice, and two tablespoons of honey. Add these ingredients to four cups of water.
6. Detox Promotion:
Lemon is also a natural antioxidant rich in vitamin C. It neutralizes the free radicals and prevents them from harming the body. The limonene component present in lemon stimulates the flow of lymph and in the removal of carcinogens. It also prevents the buildup of cholesterol.
7. Decrease Of Inflammation:
Inflammation of the joints can lead to building up or uric acids in the blood, urine, body tissues, and pain. The alkalizing effect of baking soda can help in relieving this condition when consumed.
8. Relief from urinary tract infection:
Baking soda taken with cranberry juice or lemon juice mixed with water helps in dealing with urinary tract infections. It does so by decreasing or neutralizing the acid content in the urine.
9. Digestion Enhancement:
Lemon juice releases the toxins from the digestive tract while baking soda helps in breaking down the fatty acids, thus enhancing digestion. This neutralizes the acidic gastric juices of the stomach and prevents indigestion and heartburn.
10. Stomach Flattening:
It is rumored that baking soda helps in losing weight. However, this is scientifically proven wrong. Baking soda does not have any effect on the way that the body absorbs the fats or accumulates them.
But it can surely help in making your stomach look flatter due to its digestion-aiding properties which promote the release of gas and prevent its accumulation in the stomach.
11. Regulation Of Cholesterol:
The content of vitamin C in lemon juice helps in the decrease and prevention of cholesterol in the blood, especially if it has a lot of pulp. Baking soda enhances the benefit because of its effects on heartburn and indigestion.
12. Liver Improvement:
The compounds present in lemon and baking soda help in removing the toxins from the liver and detoxifying it. They are even said to help in flushing radioactive poison from the tissues.
13. Boost Of Enzyme Production:
Lemon is a great booster of the liver’s health. The liver is responsible for the processing of nutrients and the removal of toxins and wastes from the body. Lemon helps in improving the production of enzymes in the liver and nutrient absorption, waste removal, and it enhances the liver health overall.
14. Cancer Prevention:
According to ongoing students, baking soda has an alkalizing effect that can neutralize the properties of tumor cells. Combined with the vitamin C content of lemon and the antimicrobial and antioxidant effects of limonoids, it can be an effective health booster.
RECIPE FOR LEMON AND BAKING SODA
The basic formula for the preparation of this healthy mixture is as follows:
- 500 ml of water
- four teaspoons of lemon juice
- one teaspoon of baking soda
The mixture can be made in the morning right before consumption, or it can be made in the night for drinking it the next day. Other flavoring agents can also be added, but the proportions of lemon, baking soda, and water should not change.
If baking soda is not available, you can combine apple cider vinegar with lemon to make a detox drink that helps in alkalizing the body.
This mixture can be consumed up to four times per day, but never after meals. Make sure your stomach is empty before drinking it. Also, it is advisable to start consuming this drink with gaps of a day or two in between to let your body get used to it gradually.
The best time to have this health-boosting drink is as soon as you wake up in the morning. At this time, the fluids of the body are slightly more acidic than normal due to detoxifying activities of the system performed in the night.
Their pH can measure up to 6.0 to 7.0 in the morning, though the ideal value should be from 7.0 to 7.2. Drinking about three glasses of the mixture will help in restoring the natural pH balance of the body.
Another important time for the consumption of this drink is in the night before going to bed. Make sure you do it at least two hours after the last meal.
After a few days of following this procedure, you will notice improved health and increased energy.
CAUTIONS TO KEEP IN MIND
Baking soda and lemon is indeed a healthy mixture. However, there are certain things to consider before the regular consumption of this drink due to the properties of its ingredients.
- Baking soda is a substance that is high in sodium. Therefore patients with liver disorders, kidney diseases, or edema should drink just a glass of the mixture in the morning and glass in the night. Moreover, this should be monitored and regulated by the healthcare provider.
- Patients with high blood pressure or cardiac disorders are not recommended to drink this mixture.
- Never consume baking soda in excess, as it could cause serious side effects like alkalosis.
- Pregnant women and nursing women are not advised to have this mixture until the doctor recommends otherwise.
- There is a chance of experiencing slight cramping and thirst when drinking this mixture for the first few times.
- In case of weakness, nausea, breathing difficulty or swelling in any part of the body upon having this drink, consult the doctor immediately.
- Keep in mind that baking powder and baking soda are entirely different. Baking soda should not be substituted by baking powder in lemon juice, as it could harm the body.
- Consult the doctor before consuming this drink if you are under any drug treatment.
- Also, consult the doctor before starting to drink this mixture if you have a severe or chronic disease.
- If you are an athlete or sports person, discuss with your trainer, coach, or dietician about this drink and its benefits.
- Do not let children below five years consume baking soda with water.
- Consume this drink always on an empty stomach, especially first thing in the morning and last thing in the night. Drink it after at least two hours from meals.
- For good health, a good diet, regular exercise, and proper sleep are necessary regardless of the natural tonics or drinks you take.
- Keep in mind that baking soda is by no means a substitute for the conventional cancer treatments. The research and scientific evidence of the lemon and baking soda mixture being a cancer treatment or preventer are encouraging, but they are still limited.
APPLICATION OF BAKING SODA & LEMON JUICE
The benefits of baking soda and lemon are not restricted to its consumption. The combination has many other benefits when used as a body product and as a home tool.
Read on to discover some interesting uses of this natural mixture:
- The alkalinity of baking soda softens the sebum, dead skin cells, bacteria, and dirt accumulated on the skin.
- It eases their removal. The result is a soft and hydrated skin that is protected from pimples and outbreaks.
- Make a natural exfoliating mixture for the face and skin by adding a pinch of baking soda into warm water along with a few drops of lemon juice and tea tree oil.
- Rub it gently on the skin using circular motions for a couple of minutes before rinsing it with warm water. Follow by applying a moisturizer.
2. Bath soak
- When added to the bathing water, lemon and baking soda can be absorbed through the skin.
- This will have an alkalizing effect on the body and enhance the detoxification and removal of impurities near its surface.
3. Skin Lightening Agent
- The mixture of baking soda and lemon juice can have bleaching effects on the skin and lighten its tone.
- It can also reduce freckles, acne scars, and dark spots or marks. For this purpose, mix lemon juice with baking soda such that it forms a paste.
- Apply it to the skin by rubbing softly and wash it with water after a few minutes. You can add olive oil to the mixture for an increased benefit.
- You can also make a natural face pack by adding a pinch of turmeric and a few drops of rose water to the mixture.
- Let it act on the skin for twenty to thirty minutes and wash it with cool water. Follow by patting the skin dry and applying moisturizer to it.
4. Natural Deodorant
- Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with the juice from a lemon slice. Let the mixture stops fizzing and applies it to the underarms after your morning shower.
- Baking soda has a neutralizing effect on the acids produced by the body and lemon prevents the accumulation of odor-causing bacteria.
- The mixture is a perfect, natural, and fresh deodorant that can be used every day.
5. Natural Toothpaste And Teeth Whitener
- Prepare a mixture of a couple of teaspoons of baking soda and lemon juice to make a paste.
- Add water if required. Apply this paste to the teeth after wiping off any excessive saliva from them.
- Let the paste act on the teeth for no more than one minute and make sure you rinse it properly with water. Leaving it for a longer time could affect the enamel of the teeth.
- This natural toothpaste has a visible whitening effect on the teeth. Mixing coconut oil or mint essential oil can enhance its antimicrobial properties.
6. Dandruff Treatment
- Baking soda can help in balancing the pH of the scalp and removing the dandruff flakes from it. The antimicrobial properties of lemon will keep dandruff triggering agents at bay.
- Mix the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon with a teaspoon of baking soda and apply it on your scalp.
- Let it act for two to three minutes and rinse it with water. Repeat this process twice a week.
7. Color Remover
If you accidentally stained your skin with dye or you want to lighten the color of your hair, baking soda and lemon could be of help for you.
- Mix two teaspoons of lemon juice with two tablespoons of baking soda to make a paste.
- Apply it to the skin with the help of a washcloth or wet hair with the help of your fingertips.
- Let it act for ten minutes and rinse it with water after softly scrubbing it off. Follow by using a gentle cleanser.
8. Shoe Deodorant:
Substitute the chemically loaded aerosols with baking soda to prevent bad odor in the shoes. It will not only prevent the contact of the feet soles with harmful chemicals but also add a natural and fresh scent.
9. Bug Bite Healer:
Baking soda can also reduce the itchiness on the skin caused by insect bites. However, it should not be used with lemon for this purpose as it can cause an extreme burning sensation.
Baking soda and lemon are also excellent tools for the maintenance of a neat house. Here is how you could make use of this mixture:
- Clean your fridge and freezer with the help of baking soda and lemon added to your regular cleanser. This will keep them free from odor for a longer time.
- Sprinkle baking soda around the areas of an entrance of insects to prevent them from coming in.
- Clear your clogged drains with natural substances instead of chemicals. Pour down the drain a glass of boiling water mixed with half a cup of baking soda and lemon juice or vinegar. Cover the drain hole for fifteen minutes and follow by running water through it. This tip can be used once or twice a month, and it will maintain the drains cleaner and free from clogging and smell.
- Use it as a dish scrubber. Clean the charred pots and pans by using a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice added to water. Scrub or brush this mixture on them with the help of a scrubbing pad.
- Baking soda mixed with water can also prevent the entry of molds, worms, and insects into your gardens. Dilute around four teaspoons of baking soda in a gallon of water before pouring it on the plants.
- The conventional detergents used for washing clothes are acidic and harmful to the skin, especially toddler skin. Use baking soda and lemon diluted in water to scrub stains from baby clothes and keep them clean in a natural way.
- Wash fruits and vegetables before consumption with the help of baking soda mixed with water and lemon. It will be much more beneficial than using a chemical-based agent.
As you can see, the mixture of lemon juice and baking soda has numerous benefits. The availability and low cost of its ingredients just add to the advantages and encourage its use.