If you want to lose weight and looking for more methods to do it, then you should try bottle gourd juice. Bottle gourd juice has 96% water contents and it is full of dietary fibers.
Eating bottle gourd makes you feel full and curb hunger. By making you feel full it helps you lose weight. Apart from that, it has many other health benefits.
Some of you might not like the idea of eating bottle gourd. So I have given you few awesome recipes of bottle gourd that you should try.
Table of Contents
Why Is Bottle Gourd Good For Weight Loss?
While there are several fruits and vegetable that aid in weight loss, bottle gourd is considered one of an ideal vegetable that aids in the process especially when had in the form of juice.
Some of the reasons for this are:
1. It is 96.1 % water, and 100 grams of Bottle gourd contains just 12 calories since it has practically no fat content making it very light on the digestive system and in no way leading to an increase in weight.
2. It contains a lot of dietary fiber which reduces hunger pangs by making you feel full quickly preventing you from having unhealthy snacks and putting on weight
3. The dietary fibers help in aiding digestion and keep the digestive system clean and functioning. This helps to prevent an apparent increase in weight due to dysfunctioning of the digestive system.
4. It has diuretic properties which help in flushing out excess water from the body. This prevents weight gain due to bloating which is an increase in weight due to water retention in the body. This also helps to prevent urinary infections
5. Mixing sesame oil with bottle gourd juice helps in treating insomnia by inducing sleep. Deprivation or lack of sleep can lead to an increase in weight over a period. Hence by treating sleep disorders, bottle gourd juice indirectly also helps in reducing weight.
6. A cup of bottle gourd juice contains 26 mg of Vitamin C which is an active antioxidant. It protects the cells from being damaged and also prevents DNA oxidation.
7. It boosts the production of collagen by rejuvenating and hydrating the skin.
8. A cup of bottle gourd juice provides your body with about 1.8 mg of zinc which helps in maintaining healthy functioning of cells and regulation of hormones in the body.
9. Bottle gourd juice helps in maintaining the body’s water content by keeping the body hydrated and replacing lost water. This helps in preventing gain in weight due to water retention.
10. It reduces inflammation in the liver and helps in its functioning. The liver helps in breaking down food and releasing energy, especially substances like alcohol which promote weight gain.
11. Reduces blood cholesterol levels and keeps the heart healthy. A healthy heart can take all exercises required for weight reduction and maintain a healthy body.
12. Bottle gourd contains choline, a neurotransmitter which helps in improving the functions of the brain and prevention of stress, depression and other mental disorders. Stress and stressful eating are one of the major reason for weight gain in today’s times
Apart from helping in losing weight Bottle gourd has several other health benefits.So you must include this in your diet.
Bottle Gourd Vs. Bottle Gourd Juice. Which One Is Better For Weightloss
While bottle gourd is commonly used as a vegetable, it is considered more beneficial to have the juice rather than consuming the bottle gourd in its vegetable form.
Bottle gourd juice contains all the required water and minerals that are needed by the body which makes the bottle gourd beneficial for health. It is also easier and more refreshing to consume the gourd in its juice form.
However, bottle gourd juice should not be mixed with any other vegetable juice as it can be harmful to health. A dash of lemon, amla, ginger and mint leaves is fine but more than that can cause side effects.
Also, before juicing the bottle gourd, peel and skin, cut a small piece and taste it. If the bottle gourd tastes bitter discard it immediately and do not use it for juicing or cooking.
Bitter bottle gourd carries a highly toxic compound called Tetracyclic Triterpenoid Cucurbitacins that makes the bottle gourd bitter and can cause serious side effects like vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, gastrointestinal bleeding and in extreme cases even death.
In the case of consumption of bitter gourd, it is advisable to immediately consult a doctor to avoid any further health complications.
Bottle gourd, when consumed as a vegetable, can be mixed with tomato puree, daals, and other vegetables and cooked into a variety of dishes.
This is because in the process of cooking some of the toxic chemicals of the bottle gourd get destroyed making it safe to mix with other vegetables.
However, cooking also destroys the beneficial nutrients present in bottle gourd, making it only an ideal and light snack and substitute for heavier food.
For this reason, bottle gourd juice should be consumed for its health benefits while bottle gourd as a vegetable should be consumed for light snacking and reducing food consumption and unhealthy eating.
Bottle gourd juice is very beneficial for one’s health and can cure a huge range of problems and disorders. The only caution should be taken to not consume a bitter bottle gourd as it can have very negative effects instead of positive ones.
Composition And Nutritional Value Of Bottle Gourd
Regarding composition and nutritional value 100gms of bottle gourd has the following:
- 1% Moisture
- 20 mg Calcium
- 2% Protein
- 10 mg Phosphorus
- 1% Fat
- 7 mg Iron
- 6% Fibre
- Small quantities of Vitamin B Complex
- 5% Minerals
- 5% Carbohydrates
- 12 Calories
It is 96.1% water and has practically no fat and a very low calorific value, making it ideal for weight loss.
Bottle Gourd Recipes For Weight Loss
Being a vegetable bottle gourd can be cooked into a variety of dishes which are light and act as a good substitute for unhealthy, calorie-loaded snacks and food. Even consuming bottle gourd juice itself helps to reduce hunger and aids in weight loss.
Some of the recipes for cooking and consuming bottle gourd are:
A. Bottle Gourd Juice
- 250 gm or small Bottle gourd
- 5 Mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- One tsp jeera powder
- Two tsp black pepper powder
Peel the bottle gourd and wash, cut the mint leave and mix in the mixture. Add jeera, pepper powder, and salt. Stir well and drink
Another Recipe For This Is
Juice a small bottle gourd without straining it and add a tablespoon of lemon juice (half a lemon). Drink in the morning on an empty stomach.
B. Stuffed Bottle Gourd Recipes For Weight Loss
- One medium bottle gourd
For The Marinade
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Two tsp garam masala
For The Filling
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- One diced onion
- 150 gm diced tomatoes
- Three chopped green chilies
- One tsp ginger paste
- Two tsp chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp chopped coriander
- 200 gm grated paneer
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch the bottle gourd in boiling water.
- Peel, de-seed and split it horizontally.
- Pour the marinade over the bottle gourd and set aside for an hour. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds along with the remaining ingredients for the filling.
- Stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Set the filling inside the bottle gourd and tie with string.
- Wrap it in a foil and bake in a very hot oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with mint/coriander chutney.
C. Bottle Gourd Yakhni/ Broth For Weight Loss
- 8-10 round pieces of lauki
- Two tsp ghee
- 3-4 Tbsp chopped onions
- 1 cup dahi – mixed with a pinch of maida
- Two tsp saunf (fennel) powder
- One tsp saunth (dry ginger powder)
- Three tbs cream
- One tsp dhania (coriander) powder
- 1/2 tsp jeera (cumin) powder
- 2-3 green cardamom)
- Salt to taste
- Fry bottle gourd in ghee and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pan and add the onions till they become golden brown
- Add curd to it and stir well till it comes to a boil.
- Add fennle seed and dry ginger powder, stir again.
- Mix in the cream, stirring all the while.
- Add coriander powder, salt, jeera powder cardamom and mix well.
- Place the bottle gourd pieces in the gravy, gently mix it and cook for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and mint and serve it hot.
D. Bottle Gourd Kofta
A healthier alternative to the regular kofta
- 500 gm bottle gourd-peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a pinch of black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- oil for deep frying
For The Gravy
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- Eight curry leaves
- One tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- Two tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- One tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Soak the cashew nuts and the coconut together in water for an hour and then grind them into a paste.
- For the Kofta, mix the bottle gourd, salt, ginger and black pepper. Using a heavy-based pan, put over high flame and stir
- Cook until the liquid dries and then remove from flame once it starts to stick together.
- Allow the mixture to cool and add poppy seeds and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into 14-15 round balls for the kofta
- Heat the oil in a kadhai. It should be hot enough to make a small pinch of the mixture rises to the top immediately.
- Slide the kofta one at a time into the oil, ensuring that they do not touch each other.
- Fry over a high flame to a golden color, removing the excess oil and put aside.
- For the gravy, heat the clarified butter in a pan and add the curry leaves and the cumin seeds. When the seeds start to splutter, add the ginger and sauté it to a light brown color.
- Add the tomatoes and stir-fry over a high flame till well mixed.
- Add the coriander powder, salt, turmeric, garam masala and the black pepper and sauté them over a medium flame, till the oil separates.
- Mix the cashews and the coconut and sauté them further till the oil separates.
- Add about 2 cups water and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the flame and leave the gravy to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Gently add the kofta into the gravy and leave it to simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve it hot garnished with coriander leaves.
E. Sauteed Bottle Gourd With Curry Leaves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 250 gmlauki/ bottle gourd/dhoodi
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp celery, minced
- One tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- One green chilly, sliced
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- A few sprigs of fresh oregano
- Some rosemary leaves
- A few thyme leaves
- A few capers, rinsed (optional)
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- Four cherry tomatoes cut in half
- Two black olives
- 1 cup green beans blanched and cut into half
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the bottle gourd, cut away the pith and slice into bite-sized bits.
- Sauté the onions and celery in the olive oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add the minced ginger, garlic, and chilies.
- Add the slices of bottle gourd and roast them in the pan.
- Put green beans, curry leaves and olives and continue to toss the mixture.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, a dash of lemon juice and some freshly chopped parsley, thyme, oregano, and rosemary.
- Garnish it with basil leaves and serve
F. Handvo For Weight Loss
- One medium bottle gourd
- 3 Tbsp coriander chopped
- 3-4 green chilies finely chopped
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Three tsp soda bi-carb
- One tsp each urad and channa dal
- One tsp each cumin and mustard seeds
- 4-5 Tbsp oil
- salt to taste
For Grinding Together
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- Take buttermilk in a large vessel and add salt, soda, and flour. Mix well and keep it aside for 6-7 hours.
- Grate the bottle gourd and squeeze out the excess water.
- Mix the bottle gourd, coriander, and green chilies.
- Heat oil in a pan, add urad & channa dals, and the cumin and mustard seeds.
- Allow them to splutter. Pour half into the batter and mix it thoroughly.
- Put it in a greased oven proof deep container and pour the remaining seasoning on top.
- Place it in a preheated oven at 280C for 10 minutes.
- Reduce to 200 C or 180 C for 40 minutes or till it is done.
- Check by inserting a skewer or a knife, which should come out clean.
- Slice it into wedges and serve hot.