If you or your daughter’s clitoris is larger than normal, then this rare condition is known Clitoromegaly.
It is the visible part of the clitoris which is also called the external clitoris. This condition can happen due to many causes but is not at all life-threatening.
Usually, it is congenital that is present from birth. Your clitoris can get larger due to sexual arousal also but that is completely normal.
But, it is different from what clitoromegaly is! You might be having many questions related to this rare condition.
So, for your ease, in this article, we have discussed Clitoromegaly its causes, size, symptoms, when to see your doctor, treatment, clitoromegaly surgery, PCOS and clitoromegaly and much more.
Causes Of Clitoromegaly
- If you use a high amount of androgens or your body itself produces high testosterone levels. This can lead your clitoris to enlarge.
- Using testosterone for medical purposes can also lead your clitoris to enlarge.
- It may also occur in puberty due to an imbalance in the hormonal levels.
- If you are suffering from PCOS (Polycystic ovary syndrome), then androgen levels may increase. This can lead to an increase in size of the clitoris.
- This condition is usually seen in newborns. This can be so because they are born with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH). This disorder produces too much androgen levels leading the clitoris to enlarge.
- It may occur in a girl if she was revealed to more masculine hormones than normal when she was in her mother’s womb.
The normal clitoris can be 3 to 4 mm wide and 4 to 5 mm lengthwise. If you suffer from clitoromegaly, the clitoromegaly size of your clitoris can be almost double than the mentioned normal size.
The size for clitoromegaly is defined as a measure of the clitoral index. Clitoromegaly in new born is also reported. Clitoral index means the product of length and width of the clitoris.
If your clitoral index is approximately more than 35 mm square, you may have the condition of an enlarged clitoris.
- There are no particular symptoms of Clitoromegaly but your clitoris will remain enlarged for a longer time.
- When you are sexually aroused, your clitoris will enlarge. This is so because the blood flow to your genitals will increase. But, it will become normal after sometime. If it does not become normal and causing you much discomfort, it is time to talk to a doctor.
- You may also feel pain, irritation, swelling and burning in the clitoris. This condition can start affecting your sex life also. So, you should reach for a doctor if you find these symptoms.
Clitoromegaly And Steroids
I must tell you that this condition is usually present from birth. But, some of the women provoke this condition. This may happen if you use a high amount of drugs.
If you take a large number of anabolic steroids, you may see an increase in the size of your clitoris.
The reasons for using these steroids are many. It can be for developing muscles, increasing sexual desires, bodybuilding etc.
These anabolic steroids will introduce male hormones in your body. This can lead to many side effects and sudden changes.
You may suffer from menstrual cycle problems, increase in clitoris size, birth defects etc. Do not to take such steroids which have a high amount of androgen levels in it. This is so because they might be the worst choice for a woman.
When To See Your Doctor?
If your clitoris is larger as compared to usual for more than two days, you should consult your doctor. Also, if you feel pain, irritation, bleeding etc. then reach for your doctor.
All these can be symptoms of other infections too. But, it is always better to reach for the doctor’s help rather than delaying and facing these problems.
If the size of your clitoris is somewhat different from normal and affecting your sex life, it is important for you to talk to a doctor for proper consultation and help.
Sexual arousal will lead your clitoris to enlarge and this is completely normal. But if it does not become normal for a longer time and causes discomfort, pain etc. then reach your doctor.
Treatment Of Clitoromegaly
The first thing you should do is to consult your doctor. Your doctor will do a proper checkup and find out the cause.
There are many treatment options for this condition. But, the treatment will depend on the cause of your enlarged clitoris. Treatments can be-
- You may have an infection in that area. For this, the doctor may suggest you take some oral medicines. The doctor can also give you a medicated cream to apply and reduce the symptoms. Applying this is actually enough to ease your symptoms in most of the cases.
- Another treatment for you is hormone therapy. The doctor will suggest you do this if your body has high androgen levels. This therapy will control your hormonal levels and reduce the symptoms too. Also, in some cases, this therapy can even help you to reduce the size of your clitoris.
- If the cause is Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH), the doctor will use surgical methods. The surgery is also suggested if you have endocrine disorders like PCOS.
As you know, the doctor can do surgery after seeing the causes of your enlarged clitoris. This surgical procedure is called reduction clitoroplasty.
The doctor will use surgical methods to reduce the size of your clitoris. The surgery is simple and you will be able to do your daily activities after 3 to 4 days.
In some cases, it can lead to complications like excessive bleeding, numbness, infection etc. You should wait until the swelling and the wound goes away before you do any sexual intercourse.
PCOS is referred to as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It can occur if you have high androgen levels in your body. If you suffer from heavy periods, excess body hair, acne etc, it might be PCOS.
If the enlarged clitoris is acquired, the main cause can be an endocrine hormonal imbalance. This can be due to PCOS. It is so because PCOS includes a higher level of androgens. This can result in the enlargement of the clitoris.
Is It Dangerous To Have An Enlarged Clitoris?
Enlarged clitoris will not lead you to some other risks of diseases. But, if you have an enlarged clitoris and it is causing you discomfort, it is important to talk to your doctor.
But, it is not considered as dangerous. The doctor will suggest you proper treatment for removing the symptoms.
As you know, the condition of the enlarged clitoris is rare. Thus, if you find any of the mentioned symptoms reach for your doctor. Do not panic when it comes to these kinds of problems because doctors are always the best option.
Sometimes enlarged clitoris is not much of an issue if it does not create problems in your daily life. If it does, then it requires help.
You have to be patient with the treatment of this condition. Do not worry and if you find any such problem, better consult a doctor and you’ll be free with this issue soon.