It is essential for us to keep our teeth and gums strong. Toothpaste, nowadays, contain some dangerous and harmful chemical. But there is a simple substitute for this- coconut oil toothpaste. Yes, it was considered only as an alternative medicine for a long time but not anymore. It is scientifically proved that it has many other benefits.
The other toothpaste, unlike coconut oil, have a lot of harmful chemicals such as,
- Triclosan can disrupt the endocrine function and decrease the antibiotic resistance of the body.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)is linked to skin irritation and sores. It also has carcinogenic compounds in it.
- Fluoride can get collected in your tissues and can cause serious neurological and health issues.
- Microbeads accumulate in the gum and can turn it into a breeding ground for bacteria and gum diseases.
- Artificial sweeteners have some chemicals that help produce methanol in the body. That can travel through the blood vessels and create a lot of health problems. It can even cause behavioral disturbances and neuritis.
- Propylene glycol is used as a surfactant in the toothpaste. It can be highly toxic to our organs, especially, skin, eye, and lungs.
- Diethanolamine (DEA), like propylene, is also used as a surfactant. It can also disrupt your hormone functions and has been linked to stomach, esophagus, liver, and bladder cancer.
All these are highly dangerous and have the potential of giving you life threating diseases. Even though they are banned, they are still used in toothpaste.
It is better to avoid these and use something natural and homemade. Coconut oil is the best remedy that you can easily prepare at home.
Is Coconut Oil Better Than Toothpaste?
Yes, coconut oil is way better than any of the commercial toothpaste you use. Here are some of the reasons why coconut oil is better than toothpaste.
- Coconut oil is natural so it doesn’t have any side effects. The other toothpaste contains harmful chemicals such as fluoride and triclosan which are dangerous to our health.
Triclosan is known to disrupt our endocrine function which can lead to breast, prostrate, and ovarian cancer and it can even lead to precocious puberty in girls and undescended testicles in young boys.
Fluoride is a toxic waste product which I really harmful to our body. And these are the two most common ingredients in your toothpaste.
- It has no foaming agent so it won’t interfere with our taste buds. The SLS chemical in the commercial toothpaste interferes with the functioning of our taste buds by breaking down phospholipids on our tongue. This gives you a bitter taste and also why you have a bad taste in your mouth right after brushing.
- Lauric acid in the coconut oil removes the plaque formation on the teeth. This turns them white.And regular use will keep your teeth and gum healthy and strong.
- Coconut oil can stop tooth decay. The medium chain fatty acid in the coconut oil helps in fighting off bacteria which cause plaque formation and lead to tooth decay.
- Plaque formation contributes to gingivitis. Massaging coconut oil on the teeth and leaving it for 10 minutes can reduce this plaque and in turn cure gingivitis.
- Coconut oil can be prepared at home easily. It is inexpensive and all the recipes below contain home ingredients, cheap and available at home. You can make a large quantity and keep it stored without afraid of getting it spoilt.
- It is useful for dogs and other pets too. You wouldn’t want to use the normal toothpaste you use for your pets as it can be really harmful for them. But coconut oil is as beneficial to them as it is to you. Just using the coconut oil should be fine but the recipes below are not recommended for them as some of the ingredients can be toxic to them.
- It as effective as any mouthwash. It can prevent bad breath and the microorganisms that cause it. Swishing the oil in the mouth for a few minutes can help you get rid of plaque and other bacteria. And this can even whiten your teeth.
- Coconut oil also helps maintain the natural balance of lipids on your tongue. Some toothpaste can disturb this balance and can give you bitter or bad taste in the mouth. Even some bacteria can cause this. Coconut oil toothpaste takes care of those bacteria and keeps the natural balance of the lipids.
The best way to use coconut oil is to use either the ‘oil pulling’ method or to use it as a toothpaste. Both the methods are explained in the article.
Let’s first look at the coconut oil toothpaste.
Here is the recipe for preparing coconut oil to brush your teeth.
Coconut Oil Toothpaste Recipe
1. Coconut Oil Toothpaste Without Baking Soda
Baking soda can be added to coconut oil for greater benefits. Baking soda helps in removing plaque and teeth stains. But sometimes it is too rough on the teeth if you use it daily. You can add other ingredients such as xylitol and essential oils to the coconut toothpaste.
- Half a cup of coconut oil
- 10-15 drops of essential oils
- 2-4 spoons of Xylitol
How To Use?
- Keep it in a sterilized bottle.
- When you use, apply properly on the brush.
- Avoid dipping a wet brush in the bottle.
But if you would like to add extra benefits to your homemade toothpaste then the following recipes will help you more.
2. Homemade Toothpaste – Coconut Oil Paste, Baking Soda, And Sea Salt
Baking soda can remove the plaque and helps in whitening of teeth. It is effective than most products used for whitening the teeth.
When sea salt is mixed with baking soda., It makes it more effective. It has anti-bacterial properties and it helps in strengthening the gum.
Sea salt also helps in neutralizing acids in the mouth and protects the mouth from bad breath.
How To Use?
- Mix ½ cup of baking soda with 1 tsp. of sea salt.
- Add 3 tsp. of xylitol or 1 tsp. of stevia.
- Add ½ cup of coconut oil and 10 drops of essential oils.
3. Castile Soap, Coconut Oil Toothpaste
How To Use?
- Mix 1 tbsp. of castile soap with ½ cup coconut oil.
- Add 3 tsp. of xylitol or 1 tsp stevia.
4. Coconut Oil, Bentonite Clay, Filtered Water, Sea Salt, Essential Oil Toothpaste
How To Use?
- Mix 4 tbs. of coconut oil with 4 tbs. of bentonite clay.
- Add 2-3 tbs. of filtered water.
- Mix 1/2 a tsp. of sea salt and 10-15 drops of peppermint essential oil
Bentonite Clay is used as a gentle abrasive ingredient. It contains essential minerals and helps you to get rid of toxins.
5. Baking Soda, Bentonite Clay, Coconut Oil Toothpaste
- Mix ½ cup of baking soda with 1 tbsp. of bentonite clay.
- Add 3 tsp. of xylitol or 1 tsp. of stevia.
- Add ½ cup of coconut oil and 20 drops essential oil.
Brushing teeth with only coconut oil
Only coconut oil can be used by for brushing too.
Coconut oil has antibacterial properties. It doesn’t erode the enamel from the teeth, soothes gum inflammation and slows down the tooth decay.
Coconut oil is rich in saturated fat. This fat is 50% lauric acid. When you eat the coconut or coconut oil, the body breaks it down into monolaurin. These two, the lauric acid and the coconut oil are known to kill bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
The lauric acid is, according to research, is the main factor contributing to the health benefits associated with coconut oil.
- Lauric acid is known to kill Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacillus bacteria, which cause tooth decay.
- It even fights against bacteria that cause bad breath and gum disease known as gingivitis. It is caused by the building of plaque on the teeth. Lauric acid kills these bacteria that encourage plaque building and reduces the swelling in the gums.
Can You Brush Your Teeth With Organic Coconut Oil?
Yes, and I would recommend that you brush your teeth only with organic coconut oil. This is because organic coconut oil is not refined.
Refined coconut oil is made from dried coconut or copra. When it is refined it loses some of its nutrient and anti-oxidant properties.
Also, when coconut oil is refined some of the unsaturated fats are hydrogenated and create trans fats which are unhealthy and risky for heart diseases.
There are several overall benefits for the uses of organic coconut oil. They are listed below.
- Organic coconut oil helps to keep your skin smooth and healthy.
- It increases the metabolic rate which helps in faster regeneration of new cells.
- It has anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial that may reduce fungus, bacteria and the other viruses that can cause illnesses.
- Organic coconut oil can help in protecting your body from cell-damaging free radicals.
Precautionary Steps To Use Coconut Oil Toothpaste
Coconut Oil Has Very Few Side Effects
- Use organic coconut oil only.
- If you use the oil pulling method then avoid swallowing the oil. It contains harmful bacteria, dead skin, plaque and other waste material which can be harmful.
- Before using coconut oil toothpaste, make sure you are not allergic to it.
- Use in a moderate quantity.
- Avoid ingesting it.
- Saturated fatty can lead to increase in the level of LDL cholesterol that can lead to heart diseases. It is not that impactful but it is better to consult a doctor if you have any problems.
a. Coconut Oil Toothpaste Whitening
Coconut oil doesn’t whiten your teeth by bleaching. It uses the lauric acid. This medium-chain fatty acid helps in getting rid of the plaque and bacteria. These are major contributors to making your teeth yellow.
Coconut oil swishing is an ancient method for whitening your teeth. It is an ayurvedic technique and helps in what is known as an oral detoxification.
Oil pulling detoxifies oral cavity. It pulls off the bacteria and toxins out of your mouth and creates a clean oral environment that is needed to prevent cavities and disease. There are thousands of different types of bacteria in the mouth.
Some of the bacteria are helpful, and the others aren’t. Those that are harmful create a thin yellowish layer known as plaque. A little bit of plaque is normal but when it is too much, it can result in inflamed gums, cavities, yellower teeth and even gingivitis.
Also, coconut oil is very effective in whitening your teeth when mixed with baking soda. Baking soda is used as teeth whitening product and is very effective.
b. Coconut Oil As A Mouthwash (Oil Pulling)
Coconut oil is swished in the mouth for 15-20 minutes to improve oral health. This is known as oil pulling. The oil is able you remove the plaque and toxins from your teeth and gums while moving around your mouth.
Benefits Of Oil Pulling
- Killing bad breath.
- Reducing plaque and gingivitis.
- Whitening your teeth.
- Healing bleeding gums.
- Reducing inflammation.
- Fighting tooth decay.
- Preventing cavities.
- Boosting the immune system.
- Strengthening the jaw and gums.
How To Use The Oil Pulling Method?
- Take 2 tbsp. Of coconut oil.
- Swish it in your mouth for 20 minutes at least. It takes at least that much time to remove the plaque and bacteria. It might be difficult at first so start with 5-10 minutes.
- Do not swallow. It contains toxins and harmful materials.
- Rinse your mouth properly after you spit it out.
- Avoid making children do oil pulling. They will tend to swallow it.
- Don’t gargle with it.
- Brush your teeth after you have rinsed your mouth properly.
Coconut oil has lots of benefits. It can be used for brushing as well as a for rinsing mouth. The best part about coconut oil toothpaste is it is completely natural and is affordable to all. It has been backed by science and proven to be as good as or even better than any toothpaste or mouthwash.