Allergies, a very irritating phenomenon in which various parts of skin used to get patches. No one likes to have these allergies.
If someone gets this, then they want to get rid of this as early as possible. Essential oils are the best remedy for these allergies. They are the natural and very effective treatment.
Which essential oil is best for getting rid of various allergies are given below with the ways how should they be used?
- What are Essential Oils ?
- Causes of Allergies:
- How Essential Oils Fight With Allergies?
- Essential Oils for Allergies:
- Are There any Side Effects of Using Essential Oils for Allergies?
- Some of the Considerations:
What are Essential Oils ?
Essential oils are the natural oils that are extracted from different types of plants. They have their very own and different aroma, and they have so many medicinal properties that you can’t even imagine. Various essential oils are:
- Peppermint essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Basil essential oil
Causes of Allergies:
An allergic reaction starts from your immune system. Sometimes, some substances trick the immune system and immune system think it as an invader, these substances are known as allergens as they are the root for developing the allergies.
When the immune system is tricked by these allergens, the immune system overreacts to these allergens which are in reality a harmless substance and immune system start producing antibodies named as immunoglobulin E antibodies.
These antibodies visit cells that release the chemicals like histamine and others. These releasing of the chemicals cause the allergies to various parts of your body.
Various substances that can cause allergies are:
1. Pollen grains:
Pollen grains are the small particles that are present on the flowers. Many of the people have the allergies to the pollen grain as their immune system think them as a harmful substance which is not and immune system starts fighting with them and leads to the allergy on your body.
Yes, genes are also the main reason for your allergies. If someone has an allergy then their children may have the chances of having the allergy of with same or different allergens.
3. Exposure to dust particles:
Dust particles can also be the reason of allergy. Some people are allergic to various types of dust particles. Here also like pollen grains immune system treat the harmless dust particles as harmful and start fighting with them.
How Essential Oils Fight With Allergies?
Essential oils keep the inflammation with in the body and immune system balanced. If the immune system remains balanced with the inflammation of the body, then the immune system will not treat the harmless substances a harmful, and you will not suffer from allergies.
Essential oils fight with inflammation and boosts your immune system. It prepares your immune system not to overreact on the harmless substances. In this way, essential oils prepare your body to fight with allergies.
Essential Oils for Allergies:
There are various essential oils that are used for treating the allergies which are:
1. Lavender essential oil:
Lavender essential oil is a type of essential oil that is present in every kitchen, and it should be as it has a lot of benefits in almost every field.
This essential oil is extracted from the flowers of Lavendula angustifoliate. It is helpful in the type of allergies respiratory and skin as well.
The oil contains antihistamines in it that keep the inflammation of the body and immune system balanced to prohibit immune system to treat allergens as harmful substances.
Lavender essential oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties that help to get rid of various types of allergies of chest, cheeks, and forehead. It provides you very calming and soothing effect.
How to use?
- Lavender is helpful in effective sleeping that’s why it is always advised to use lavender essential oil at night.
- You can apply some drops of it on your sinuses, cheeks, and other portions to get rid of allergies.
- You can also put some drops of it your diffuser for continuous intake of it through breathing.
- You can also apply it on the soles of your feet.
- Mix some drops of it in the carrier oil like almond oil or coconut oil or olive oil and apply it over the area you are having an allergy at least three times a day.
- You can take some drops of it on your palm and can inhale it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- During the season of allergy, you can take with you cotton balls dipped in lavender essential oil in a glass jar.
Note: Lavender essential oil can be used without mixing with any other oil safely but if you have sensitive skin then do not forget to mix some drops of carrier oil like coconut or almond oil in it. Sensitive skin people should use essential oils in dilute form.
2. Peppermint essential oil:
Peppermint essential oil has a different aroma which is usually liked by people. It provides you calmness. Everyone must be familiar with its characteristics.
This essential oil is extracted from Menthe Piperita. It is used for solving the digestion problems. The main component in it is methanol which is the reason for its lot of benefits.
Anti-inflammatory and analgesics properties of this lavender essential oil make it effective for the treatment of various types of allergies and other pains related to the allergies.
When you have allergies in the respiratory tract, then methanol present in the lavender essential oil loosens up the thick accumulation of mucus and clears the respiratory tract.
In this way, lavender essential oil is helpful for treating the secondary infections. It is useful basically for the food allergies that disturbs the digestive system and cause vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea. It provides soothing and calming effect as well.
How to use?
- There are various ways in which you can consume peppermint essential oil like you can put some drops of it in your drink like tea or water to settle down your stomach and for giving relief to the stomach infections and allergies.
- You can apply one drop of peppermint essential oil on the base of your neck.
- You can also apply some drops of it near your nostrils. It is helpful in the relief from sinuses congestion. But never apply it on your nostrils in concentrated form.
- Always mix it with some carrier oil like coconut oil or almond oil and then apply on the nostrils.
- For getting relief in the respiratory tract. You need to take 1 to 2 drops of lavender essential oil, mix it with some carrier oil like almond oil or olive oil and then massage with it on your chest for 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat this two times a day for better results.
- Peppermint essential oil works well in a diffuser as well. You just need to pour some drops of it in your diffuser and inhale the peppermint essential oil through the air coming from the diffuser.
- You can also take some drops of it on your palm and can inhale it by bringing your palm near your nose. Do this for 2 to 3 minutes.
- You can also keep some cotton balls dipped in essential in an airtight container always with you and whenever you feel need you can inhale it.
- For getting relief from sinus congestion, take a bowl full of boiling water. Pour some drops of peppermint essential oil in it and take a towel over your head.
- Cover your head with a towel and take the steam of the boiling water containing lavender essential oil.
3. Lemon essential oil:
Lemon essential oil is an essential oil having cleansing and very refreshing properties. It is mostly used as a disinfectant, but it is also helpful for combating various seasonal allergies.
It works wonderfully when combined with peppermint and lavender essential oil. It is very helpful for the treatment of various types of seasonal allergies. Lemon essential oil helps in the increment of the blood circulation.
It, therefore, clears respiratory tract as well.
How to use?
- It is an edible essential oil so you can consume it very easily. Take 1 to 2 drops of it for effective results.
- You can put in tea or water and take it. This oil in this way shows very effective results.
- You can put some drops of it the diffuser for continuous and light intake of this essential oil.
4. Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is extracted from the stem and the leaves of gum and eucalyptus trees. This essential oil has a very strong smell and a very strong action as well.
For sinus congestion, eucalyptus essential oil works well. If you have any problem related to the respiratory tract, then take this oil, but use must not use it without any carrier oil like olive or coconut oil.
How to use?
- Put some drops of it in the diffuser for regular intake.
- Apply it on the various patches of allergies but only after mixing it with some carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil.
- You can also take steam of this by putting some drops of this oil in boiling water.
- But if you are taking steam of this boiling water then you must cover your eyes as this can be harmful to your eyesight.
Note: if you are taking eucalyptus essential oil then drink a lot of water as it dries your respiratory tract. So, to keep yourself hydrated you must take a lot of water.
5. Roman chamomile essential oil:
Roman chamomile essential oil is obtained from a herbaceous plant called chammaemelum nobile. It is a mild essential oil, so its best benefit is it can be used for infants as well.
It provides calming effect and works very well with different types of allergies especially skin allergies. You just need to apply this oil on various patches of allergies on your skin.
The aroma of this oil is very sweet and provides a soothing effect. It also removes the patches that are caused by various allergies due to insects or mosquitoes.
How to use?
- Take a teaspoon of coconut oil. Put 2 to 3 drops of roman chamomile essential oil in it and apply this mixture on the red patches that come due to the allergies.
- You can also put some drops of it in the diffuser at night as it is very helpful for the calming sleep.
6. Tea Tree essential oil:
This essential oil is very helpful for destroying the pathogens that cause various types of allergies. If you put some drops of this oil in the diffuser, then this oil will kill the bacteria and germs present in the air.
So, indirectly it prevents the allergies on your body. Tea tree oil can be freely applied to the skin to kill the germs present on the skin. You can put some drops of it in your cleaner to kill the germs present in your household accessories.
How to use?
- You can put some drops of it in the diffuser for killing the germs in the air.
- You can also apply it on your skin at the patches of rashes but apply only after diluting it with the carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil or almond oil.
7. Basil essential oil:
Basil essential oil is obtained from the plant of basil. The leaves and the seeds of the plant of basil have various medicinal properties, and these properties are present in the oil of basil as well.
Various health benefits of basil essential oil are treating constipation, respiratory problems, the problem of indigestion. Basil possesses antiseptic properties, so it is useful for the treatment of various types of allergies.
Basil essential oil decreases the response of immune system due to the allergens. Basil oil has antimicrobial properties as well die to which it fights with various types of bacteria that cause allergies.
For balancing the inflammation and immune system, you can take the essential oil orally by adding it to the salad or tea or coffee.
You can also apply the mixture of basil essential oil with coconut oil on chest or forehead for better respiration system.
8. Cypress essential oil:
Cypress essential oil is obtained from a cypress tree. This essential oil has a rejuvenating and clean aroma. This oil is anti-bacterial and antiseptic. The main ingredients of this oil are alpha-pinene, limonene and careen.
It has various benefits like healing infections; it is also helpful in treating various types of cramps. Cypress essential oil is mainly helpful for increasing the blood flow in your body.
Cypress is also helpful in treating a lot of respiratory problems.
How to use?
- You can use it by adding some drops of it in your diffuser so that you breathe it in continuously.
9. Ginger essential oil:
Ginger, you must have heard it. It is used in our homes as a part of spices. It is used in the food items as it is good for the digestion process.
Ginger essential oil is the oil obtained from the ginger, and this oil contains all the medicinal properties of ginger.
It is useful for various purposes like for proper digestion, for healing various types of infections, for correcting the respiratory problems, for reducing inflammation.
So, ultimately it balances the immune system and inflammation of the body.
How to use?
- You need to place few drops on it on the nape of your next, under your feet; behind your ear and you can also put some drops of this in your diffuser for better results.
- Breathe properly so that you can breathe in the vapours of the essential oil.
10. Frankincense essential oil:
Frankincense essential oil has an aroma that makes you feel spiritual connectivity. It is also helpful for maintaining your skin’s radiance.
So, it is very helpful for maintaining your natural beauty. It is used for immune support as well. This is the oil which has a lot of natural effects.
This helps in curing a lot of the diseases and various types of allergies.
How to use?
- You can place some drops of it under your tongue.
- You can also place some drops of it behind your ears.
- Breathe the steam of this oil by putting some drops of it in water and boiling it.
- Do this daily till you feel properly normal.
11. Trio For Allergy:
- LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL
- PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL
- LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
When you use the combination of these three for the treatment of the allergies, then it works most effectively. The antihistamines of these three work great for the treatment of allergies.
How to use this trio?
- Take 1 to 2 drops of all the three essential oils and put them in a glass full of water. Gargle with this solution properly. Make sure that your essential oils are of good quality that it can be taken.
- Take 1 to 2 drops of each of the essential oil. Mix it with some carrier oil like almond or coconut oil and apply this solution on the rashes and allergy areas.
- Take a spoon full of honey. Add 1 or 2 drops of all the three essential oils in this honey and swallow it. But make sure that your essential oils are suitable for in taking orally.
- You can also use it as a rub by mixing each of the essential oils in equal amount and adding required amount of carrier oil in it. Use this mixture on the chest or feet or forehead.
- Pour some drops of the mixture of all the three oils in a diffuser for continuous intake of the essential oils for relief.
Are There any Side Effects of Using Essential Oils for Allergies?
Yes, essential oils can be harmful as well!
Sometimes essential oils can react with various substances and form the substances that are treated as allergens by the immune system. These are the following examples:
1. Geranial essential oil:
When you take geranial essential oil, then it reacts with enzymes of the skin and forms the allergens called geraniol that leads to the allergy on your body.
2. Lavender essential oil:
Lavender essential oil reacts with oxygen to form hydrogen peroxide which acts as an allergen. So, in this way essential oil can also act as an allergen.
Essential can also cause other problems like reduction in the affectivity of some drugs, phototoxicity, etc.
Some of the Considerations:
Before using any essential oil first read everything about the herb of essential oil.Essential oils are usually concentrated so you should use essential oils in small quantity and dilute form.
To know the essential oil you are allergic to if you are with any then use one essential oil at a time.