Exfoliation tends to remove the dead skin cells and also even out the lip tone. This is done so that the lips appear fresh, smooth and reddish. Further, exfoliating lips becomes a need when lips become chapped or stained.
Let’s know how to exfoliate lips naturally with home remedies.
Causes Of Chapped Lips
There are a ton of reasons why we face this problem. Some of the major causes of chapped or discolored lips are:
- Changes in weather
- Exposure to sun
- Breathing with an open mouth
- Frequent intake of coffee or tea.
Benefits Of Exfoliating Lips
The reason why exfoliation of lips is given a lot of importance these days is that its benefits are immense. There are many benefits which you may derive once you start exfoliating your lips. Some of the usual ones are herein mentioned:
1. Over time as the weather changes your lips get chapped and flaky which is uncomfortable and unsightly. Further, your lips may generate dead skin cells over a period of time. Therefore, occasional exfoliation of the lips via natural home remedies helps to remove the dead skin cells from the lips and provides a wonderful texture to the lips.
2. Lip discoloration, darkness, blackness, shadowy spots or melanin pigmentation fades away.
3. If you apply lipstick on chapped lips, you usually experience a clump and flaky effect from the dried skin. For the best results, start exfoliating your lips. After exfoliating, you’ll have a smooth and even surface on your lips. Your lip texture will improve and your lips will start looking healthy as well.
4. Exfoliating lips via your own natural remedies prove to be a very inexpensive job. You do not have to spend thousands for getting a perfect glamorous look. Simply, exfoliate your lips in the most inexpensive manner.
5. Over time our lips may have even developed dark spots or uneven color. Gently exfoliating regularly helps in the gradual and natural removal of uneven dark spots from our lips.
6. Exfoliation eradicates dry, dirty, dead or cracked skin cells.
7. Keeping up appearances can be hard when you are facing dark spots and discoloration on the lips. Yet, by exfoliating the lips, you will be able to neutralize lip discoloration and get rid of those annoying dark spots and impurities.
8. Exfoliation helps to moisturize the lips. This happens as exfoliation aids in providing a unique type of luster to the lips. This enables the lips to naturally glow without the use of harmful and chemical products.
How To Exfoliate Lips Naturally At Home?
To avoid this from happening, you may either use homemade lip scrubs or the readymade ones. But, it is suggested to stick to homemade scrubs as they are more effective and natural. Some of the homemade scrubs which will help you exfoliate your skin are mentioned below:
1. Olive Oil And Sugar
Sugar is considered one of the most effective remedies for the exfoliation of lips. This is because sugar, when mixed with a bit of olive oil, tends to moisturize the lips and tries to remove the dead skin cells from the lips.
How To Use This Scrub?
a) Take some sugar and a few drops of olive oil in a bowl.
b) Continue to mix until you get a solid paste.
c) Then, massage your lips with this scrub with a clean washcloth. You may also use fingertips in circular motions. Keep in mind that massaging should be soft.
d) Avoid doing it more than 2-3 minutes.
e) Wash your lips off with lukewarm water.
f) Now, because the upper skin of your lips has become more sensitive it needs hydration.
So, put a lip balm on your lips to make them hydrated.
2. Petroleum Jelly And Toothbrush
This method of exfoliation has been used for ages to exfoliate the lips. It removes all the unnecessary burdens from the upper lips.
How To Use This?
a) Take a straight bristle soft toothbrush.
b) Put a dose of Vaseline or any other type of Petroleum Jelly on the lips.
c) Rub your lips with the toothbrush in the spherical motions.
d) Rinse off your lips with water.
e) Leave a bit of petroleum jelly on the lips so that it can continue to moisturize and hydrate your lips.
3. Baking Soda And Toothbrush
This is an ideal home remedy to get rid of the impurities or dead skin cells from your lips. Further, this remedy will help your lips look sharp and clean.
How To Use This?
a) Take some baking soda in the palm.
b) Pour several drops of water and mix them together.
c) Put the mixer on the toothbrush and then scrub your lips with the brush for 2 minutes. A washcloth may be also used to rub the lips.
d) Cleanse your lips off with lukewarm water.
e) Then put whichever lip balm suits you the best on your lips. This will keep your lips hydrated.
4. Honey And Sugar
This is considered the best way to remove dead skin cells from the lips and skin. This remedy is also used as it is very easy to follow the steps.
How To Use This Scrub?
a) Take some sugar and several drops of honey in a small bowl.
b) Mix them together.
c) Scrub your dry or black lips with this scrub with your fingertips for 3 minutes.
d) Clean up your lips with warm water. You may also leave some pure honey on your lips.
In this way, they can remain hydrated and soft. This will also help to remove the discoloration in the lips.
5. Sugar And Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a nice natural remedy to hydrate the dry lips. It also moisturizes the lips. This particular scrub provides a unique texture to your lips also.
How To Apply This Scrub?
a) Mix some sugar with a few drops of coconut oil in a bowl.
b) Apply this scrub on your lips and scrub for 3 or 4 minutes with the fingertips. You may use a toothbrush for scrubbing as well.
c) Clean up your lips with fresh water.
6. Jojoba Oil And Brown Sugar
This remedy is being used nowadays. This is because the use of jojoba oil and its availability has increased in today’s time. Further, using brown sugar in lieu of white sugar is also a good decision.
How To Use This Scrub?
a) Mix some vitamin E or Jojoba oil together.
b) Scrub your dry lips with this scrub for some minutes, not more than 3 minutes.
c) Cleanse your lips with warm water.
d) Then apply your preferred lip balm.
7. Rose Water And Glycerin
This combination of exfoliation of the lips is a secret beauty tip of all the celebrities. Further, rose water sets on a pink tint on your lips. It also helps to soothe them.
How To Use This Mixture?
a) Mix rose water and glycerin together.
b) Pat your lips with this mixture with the fingertips for 2 minutes.
c) Wash your lips with fresh water.
d) You can also leave this mixture on your lips overnight. In this manner, your lips will remain exfoliated.
You can also use a clean wet washcloth to scrub your dry lips. Firstly, make sure that your lips are wet. Then start rubbing the washcloth on them gently to slough off the dull skin cells.
9. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a wonderful bleaching agent for lips. It exfoliates and also lightens the lip color. But, if your lips are chapped then do not use this remedy as lemon juice may sting a bit.
How To Use This Remedy?
a) Cut a lemon half. Then rub one piece onto your lips gently.
b) You can spread some salt on the lemon slice. Do this for 2 minutes.
c) Then cleanse your lips off with a washcloth.
d) Thereafter put some pure honey on the lips for 10 minutes.
10. Coconut Oil And Coffee Grounds
If you have some extra coffee grounds at your place then utilize it in a better manner. You can make a beautiful recipe to exfoliate your lips. Further, coconut oil dissolves the impurities and moisturizes the lips.
How To Use This Mixture?
a) Mix some coffee grounds with some coconut oil.
b) You can also use a toothbrush to exfoliate the lips in a spherical motion.
Oatmeal exfoliates the skin completely as it is grainy. Further, oatmeal helps to remove the dirt, oil, and impurities from the skin.
How To Use This?
a) Mix 1 tablespoon of oatmeal with 3 teaspoons of milk or lukewarm water.
b) Apply it to lips and rub the lips softly for 2 minutes.
c) Then rinse off the lips with water and apply a lip balm.
11. Rose Petals
This is another way to exfoliate the lips. Rose petals help to nourish the lips and they remove the dead skin from the lips.
How To Use Them?
a) Soak rose petals in milk or raw milk for a few hours.
b) When the rose petals are soaked, make a paste out of it and apply on the lips.
c) Wash away the paste after 2 minutes. This will provide redness o the lips also.
These were some of the natural ways to exfoliate the lips. You can choose any one of the above-mentioned methods as all are equally reliable. Once you have exfoliated your lips you should know how to take care of the lips after that. Below mentioned are some techniques which help to provide you with aftercare methodology:
- Avoid licking your lips. If you have the urge, apply some chapstick.
- Moisturize your lips on a regular basis. This will avoid drying and cracking of the lips.
- Chronic and persistent dry and chapped lips can be a sign of a syndrome hence seek treatment.
- As a moisturizer, use chap-stick, petroleum jelly or balm.
- Scrub the lips softly because a hard massaging can create sores or flaky skin on the lips.
- Rub the lips softly 1-2 minutes.
- Don’t scrub your lips more than two times a week.
- Avoid exfoliating your lips if they are severely chapped or dry.
How Often You Should Exfoliate Lips?
Another query which people generally have while exfoliating their lips is that how often they should indulge in such a practice. There is no precise and accurate answer for this. Every physician and dermatologist has a different answer to give. Usually, it is considered that exfoliation of the lips should not happen more than 2-3 times a week.
The reason behind this is that excessive exfoliation may even damage the lips. If you try to exfoliate the lips more than 3 times a week it may cause unnecessary soreness and redness on the lips.
It may also lead to excessive itchiness and pain on the lips. Therefore, exfoliation is an amazing treatment for the lips. However, it should be done in a controlled fashion.
So, exfoliation of lips has become a necessity these days. Therefore, all of you should try out these amazing home remedies for the same. But, one thing should be kept in mind that, it should be done in a controlled manner otherwise it may lead to severe consequences.