Are you facing itchy skin? Or your skin is full of rashes? Then this article is for you. Prickly heat or heat rash occurs when sweat gets trapped in the body. So, it is better known as ‘sweat rash.’ Heat rash is also known as Miliaria Rubra.
It looks red and appears as small raised spots on the skin. It causes stinging and prickling sensation on the surface. It can develop anywhere in the body. Usually, face, neck, back chest or thighs are the most affected areas of the body.
Heat rash occurs mostly after few days of exposure to hot temperatures. Children are more prone to this because their sweat glands are still developing.
If it has happened to you for the first time, itis no reason to see a doctor. If it keeps repeating at specific intervals, you should see a doctor.
Here, in this article, you will find a detailed list of what causes heat rash, its symptoms and how to get rid of prickly heat.
Table of Contents
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Prickly Heat Naturally?
1. Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal has the property of exfoliating the skin. It clears the blocked sweat ducts. This is an excellent home remedy for treating prickly heat.
- 2 cups of oatmeal
- Lukewarm water
- Run an oatmeal bath.
- Soak yourself in it for 15-20 mins.
- If you do not have a bathtub, use a scrubber to scrub the affected areas with oatmeal bath gently.
- Remember that you cannot be harsh while cleansing your skin.
- Repeat this in every 2 to 3 days.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is antibacterial and antiseptic. This property of the plant helps in reducing and removing most of the skin problems. It is a fantastic skin smoothening and gentling agent. It hydrates the skin and keeps it from dehydrating. It alleviates the redness and inflammation caused due to heat rash.
- A fresh aloe leaf from an Aloe Vera plant.
- Cut this leaf
- Squeeze out the natural gel from it in a bowl.
- Apply this gel to the affected part massaging gently.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes or so.
- After that, wash the area with cold water.
It might be possible that you do not find an Aloe Vera plant. In that case, you can get cream which is aloe based or an aloe-rich moisturizing lotion. You should repeat this daily until you get rid of prickly heat.
3. Chickpea Flour
Chickpea flour is known to help in the cleansing of the skin. It can remove the impurities from the surface. It exfoliates the skin by removing the dead skin cells and unclogging the clogged pores. It is one of the best methods to use eliminating itching and prickling sensation from the body.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of chickpea flour.
- Water or Rosewater
- Make a thick paste of this powder in rose water or water.
- Apply this paste to the affected area.
- Let the paste on for 15 minutes.
- After that wash it properly with cold water.
- You can apply this pack every day unless you are entirely sure that you have gotten rid of heat rash.
4. Fuller’s Earth (MultaniMitti)
Fuller’s earth is an excellent remedy to treat skin and skin problems. It exfoliates skin and clears the clogged pores. It may leave your skin dry on using too much so don’t forget to buy a lotion when you get Fuller’s Earth.
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of Fuller’s Earth
- Make a thick paste of a face mask.
- Apply this paste to the affected area.
- Let it on for around 20 minutes.
- After that wash the affected region with cold water.
- Do this procedure daily in the initial days.
- After a week, start doing it on alternate days.
- Keep doing it until prickly heat, and its effects are gone.
5. Baking Soda
Baking Soda is anti-bacterial. It soothes the skin. It prevents the itchiness and irritation on the surface.
- Two tablespoons of baking soda
- A bowl of water.
- Mix baking soda with cold water making a mild solution.
- Take a clean and soft washcloth and dip it in the solution.
- Gently run this cloth on the affected areas.
- Leave it on for a couple of minutes.
- After that rinse-off.
- You can do this up to 2 times a day.
- Do this regularly to remove prickly heat from your skin fast.
6. Raw Potato
Potato is an excellent emollient. It eases the itchiness in the skin. It also leaves a soothing effect on the skin after the application of potato slices.
- A medium-sized potato
- Slice it.
- Apply these slices on to the affected area.
- Leave the slices in the affected area for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the slices.
- Now rinse that area with cold water.
- If you want, you can also dab the area with slices of potato taken.
- Do this every day for practical and immediate results.
Ginger is an excellent herb. It is very popular in Asian countries. Ginger has a lot of medicinal properties. It also helps the skin in various ways. It helps in easing the redness and itchiness of the skin.
- Small piece of ginger root
- Grate it.
- Boil this grated ginger root inwater.
- Let this boiled ginger water cool down.
- After that take a clean and soft washcloth.
- Dab your skin with this cloth.
- Keep this solution on for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Rinse it off after the decided time.
- You can repeat this activity twice a day. It will make prickly heat go away. It will also increase the functioning of the sweat glands.
8. Ice Cubes
When it comes to rashes or cleansing of the skin, ice cubes are the first thing that comes to mind. They provide coolness to the skin and relieves itchiness at the same time.
Ice cubes are known to cleanse skin because of their ability to penetrate in the skin upon melting. They are capable of opening pores clogged with sweat. And also capable of closing the big open pores which are harmful to the skin.
- 2 to 3 ice cubes
- A soft towel.
- Wrap the ice cubes in a towel and place this wrapping on your affected area for as long as possible. If you want to dab your skin with cold water, put these ice cubes in water and let them melt. Use this water to dab. You can use this ice cube remedy as soon as you start feeling itchy. Repeat this until you get results or feel relaxed.
9. Lime Juice
Lime juice has potential anti-oxidants. These anti-oxidants help in hastening the process of healing heat rashes. Lime juice is an excellent remedy for heat rash. You will start seeing the results in 14 days and your heat rash will disappear. Lime juice also helps in regulating the bowel movements and other functions of the body.
- A lime
- A glass of water.
- Squeeze this fresh lime into the glass of water.
- You can sweeten this drink with honey.
- Drink this juice 3 to four times a day.
- You will start noticing improvements very soon.
10. Sandalwood Powder
Sandalwood is very soothing in nature. It can eliminate prickly heat and its symptoms with immediate effects. It cools down the body temperature. Low body temperature is essential for fast recovery.
- Sandalwood powder
- Prepare a pate of equal parts of sandalwood powder and water
- Apply on the affected skin
- Leave it on till it dries
- Rinse off with cold water
- Follow this twice a week
Neem is an excellent anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. These properties can help in controlling the symptoms of heat rash.
- Handful of neem leaves
- Grind the leaves to make a paste
- Apply this paste on the affected area.
- Allow it to dry
- Rinse it off with cold water
- Follow once a week
- Simmer Neem leaves in 2 cups of water for 20 mins
- Allow it to cool
- Soak a cotton cloth in the solution
- Place the cloth on the affected area for 5-10 mins
- Do it 5 times a day for a week
Watermelon is a fruit which provides coolness to the body. It refreshes the skin and removes the irritation. It contains anti-oxidants which exert anti-aging effects on the skin.
- De-seed the watermelon
- Make a pulp
- Apply this fresh pulp on the heat rash
- Leave it on for 15-20 mins
- Wash off with plain water
- Do this once every day
This remedy falls in the category of grandmother’s home remedies. It provides coolness to the skin and relieves itching. It heals the burning sensation. This remedy also prevents heat rash from resurfacing.
- 1 camphor tablet
- Few drops of Neem oil
- Crush the camphor into powder
- Mix very little neem oil to make a gooey paste
- Apply the paste
- Let it on for a few minutes
- Rinse off with water
- Repeat this every alternate day
14. Henna Powder
This herb which is usually used to decorate hands is a great remedy for skin problems. It is cool in nature and soothes the skin.
Removes rashes and relieves irritation. It also leaves behind a very beautiful light red colour on the skin which fades away in 2-3 days.
- Few teaspoons of henna powder
- Make a thick paste using henna and water
- Apply on to the rash
- Leave it on for 15-20 mins
- Rinse off
- Apply once. It is a great remedy, results will be lasting.
Honey is very popular in Asian cultures. It is known for nourishing skin. It cleanses the skin and exfoliates it. It soothes itchiness and irritation of heat rash on the skin.
- Raw honey
- Cleanse the area
- Apply honey directly on it
- Let the honey stand for 15-20 mins
- Wash off
- Repeat this 1-2 times a day
16. Indian Gooseberries
Amla i.e. Indian gooseberry is an excellent source of vitamins and vital nutrients. It strengthens the immune system. Strengthened immune system fights against heat rash and prevents it from developing now and again.
- Few Indian Gooseberries
- An Earthen Vessel
- Cut the Gooseberries into halves
- Place them in earthen vessel
- Pour some water to cover the pieces
- Let it stand overnight
- Mash the Gooseberries with the same water the next morning
- Strain the mashed mixture
- Add honey
- Drink this mixed water
- Drink this concoction every day. It will support faster healing.
Cucumber is one of the cacti plants. It has excellent elements which are helpful for the purpose of cooling the body. It provides coolness to wherever applied. It soothes skin and prevents irritation. It also makes the rashes go away.
- Half a cucumber
- Take the cucumber and peel it
- Slice it in thin long slices
- Put these slices in fridge for a couple of minutes
- Now take them out and place on the rashes
- Keep these slices on until the slices come back to normal temperature
- Repeat this if required
- Do this at least once every day
Papaya is a tropical fruit. It eases the burning sensation. It also provides relief from itching. It is an excellent remedy to unclog pores. It exfoliates dull and damaged skin cells.
- A piece of ripe papaya
- Mash the papaya
- Apply this to your skin
- Let it stay for 20 to 25 minutes
- Wash off with normal tap water
- Repeat this on alternate days
19. Talcum Powder
Talcum powder is used to hasten the healing process. Get herbal talcum powder for yourself. Talcum powder helps in keeping skin dry in the hot and humid weather.
It thus heals rashes very quickly. Do not use a scented talcum powder, it will cause even more itching to your skin.
- Talcum Powder
- Pat your skin dry after taking a shower
- Sprinkle some talcum powder on the rashes
- Do this every time you take a bath, preferably every morning and night.
20. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is rich in antibiotic properties. It soothes the itchiness and irritation. It is a powerful healer. It prevents harmful bacteria from settling in the rashes. It prevents infection.
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 1 bucket of lukewarm water
- Put the oil in the water
- Mix well
- Bathe with this water
- Or, you can just apply the oil to the heat rash area and then bathe
- Repeat this every day till you feel completely relieved
21. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is known to balance the skin pH. It is anti-inflammatory. Thus, it reduces itchiness and irritation to zero and benefits the quality of skin at the same time.
- 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Mix just enough water to dilute apple cider vinegar
- Soak cotton ball in this
- Dab this cotton on the affected area
- Let it dry
- Rinse off after around 10 mins
- Repeat this every day
Cornstarch is capable of absorbing excess sweat and sebum from the body. It prevents the pores from clogging. It also prevents the skin surface from forming any more of the rashes.
- Cornstarch powder
- Put some corn starch powder on the affected area by sprinkling
- Reapply during the day as and when required
23. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is very nourishing. It is anti-microbial in nature. It hydrates the skin. It is capable of healing the rashes. It significantly reduces the itching sensation.
- Extra virgin coconut oil
- Melt the oil between your fingers
- Apply this oil on the rashes directly
- Do this every night before going to bed
24. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is capable of drawing out toxins from the body. It exfoliates skin and removes dead skin cells. It unclogs the clogged pores. It helps to solve heat rashes.
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- Warm water
- Put Epsom salt in a warm water bath
- Soak yourself in it for 15 mins
- Do this every alternate day
- Or, you can also take a soft cloth soaked in this water and dab on the rashes
25. Greek Yogurt
Yogurt is an excellent cooling agent. It relieves irritated and inflamed skin. It unclogs the pores. It helps in healing rashes quickly.
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Apply the yogurt on your rashes directly
- Keep it on 10-15 mins
- Wash off with normal water
- Repeat it every day
26. Olive Oil
Olive oil is an excellent exfoliating agent. It is an awesome skin conditioner too. It nourishes skin and keeps it supple.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Cleanse your skin
- Put a few drops on the affected area
- Leave it on overnight
- Do this every night before going to bed.
How To Treat Prick Heat On Babies?
First, you need to cool off your baby. Cool off by loosening or better removing your baby’s clothing. Take him/her to an air-conditioned room or a shaded spot. You can run cold water on the skin to rinse away the sweat and body oil. You can also wipe the baby’s skin with wet wash clothes.
After removing the sweat layer from the baby’s skin, let the skin dry. Use a fan to dry or just let him/her air-dry. Prefer not to rub with a towel. If the doctor of the baby hasn’t advised, do not use any ointments or creams on the rash.
Expose the skin of your baby to as much air as possible. Do not wrap him/her in tight clothing. If possible, leave the baby naked. At the most, you can make him/her wear very loose clothing.
Trim your baby’s fingernails. This will keep him/her away from scratching the rash when it starts itching. Put little socks on his/her hands during the night to avoid scratching while sleeping.
You can use some very mild talcum powder to make him/her feel soothing. Severe rashes should be treated using hydrocortisone creams after doctor’s advice.
How Long Does Prickly Heat Last?
Mild or moderate heat rashes tend to leave in some days by themselves. Although, these outbreaks may deepen over time if air does not penetrate the skin over the period.
When the rashes start occurring, you should air that part of the body as much as possible. This will increase the chances of the outbreaks leaving soon.
Usually, the prickly heat rashes take 3 to 4 days to leave your skin surface. The situation worsens only when the skin is not cleaned correctly, or air does not enter the pores.
How Do You Prevent Prickly Heat?
Always remember to keep your skin well aired to prevent prickly heat. Delaying baths for 2-3 days in tropical zones can bring these kinds of situations on for you. The Golden rule is to keep the body cool and well aired.
Whenever you can, keep most parts of your body exposed to air. This relieves skin. In case of babies, do not make them wear diapers as much as possible to prevent prickly heat.
Wear light-colored and loose clothes especially in the weather of summer. Avoid wearing synthetic clothes. Synthetic garments prevent air circulation. Cotton-based clothes let your body stay cool. You should also avoid tights, especially in the chest and thigh zone.
Hot and humid climate usually drains the energy out of you. So, remember to keep yourself hydrated all the time. Drink cold and calming drinks like buttermilk or coconut water. Try to keep yourself away from alcohol and aerated drinks as much as possible. Eat seasonal fruits or drink their fresh juices.
Eat lots of raw vegetables and fruits. Eat as much healthy food as possible. These vegetables will keep you hydrated and provide nutrition at the same time. Avoid oil-based food and greasy fruits. Sweets are not also recommended, and you should avoid them as much as possible.
Keep your skin dry and try not to leave it damp as much as possible. Always pat yourself with a towel after bathing so that bacteria do not build up on your skin. Put talcum powder to ensure that your skin remains cool.
Can Heat Rash Spread?
Heat rashes do not spread from person to person. They are not contagious and do not spread upon contact. Although, heat rash can spread to other parts of the body quickly.
As far as your skin is concerned, avoid scratching the infected area. This will prevent worsening the situation. To not let skin rash spread, avoid spending time under the sun in an open pool.
You can go swimming if you want. But if the blisters are oozing or the infection is secondary, avoid chlorinated water. The chemicals in the water add to the pain and itchiness in the skin.
In case of babies, prevent the baby from the scratching the rashes as much as possible. Cut the nails and cover the hands with mittens.
Contagious or not, skin diseases are something that you should treat from the very start. The situation might not be dangerous, but if not cured it might lead to leaving some marks behind.
You would not want to have any ugly marks on the surface of your body, would you? So, we suggest that you start the cure from the day you feel that there is something wrong. You can pick any of the above methods and stay healthy. Happy living!