If you are here that itself suggests that you are aware of Lion’s Mane Mushroom. It’s a bit different type of mushroom with loads of health benefits.
Frankly speaking, people are aware of it because of the health benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushroom. It is also known as Hericium Erinaceus has nerve-regenerative properties.
This mushroom treats nerve factor and works as nerve growth factor. It enhances memory and stimulates brain functions and thus Lion’s Mane Mushroom is not less than a magical herb.
The Latin name of this mushroom is ‘hedgehog’ and some people often refer to as a ‘Smart Mushroom.’It belongs to the family or group of the tooth fungus. It is found in North and South America, Asia and Europe.
To get more information about the health benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushroom scrolls down.
Table of Contents
Health Benefits Of Lion’s Mane Mushroom
The part of the lion’s mane mushroom which will provide you the health benefits are the saccharides and peptides of the “poly” family that contains the mushroom its ability to heal various injuries.
The health benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushroom may vary from clinical treatments to big scale researchers. Nevertheless, the following are well-researched health benefits of Lion’s Mane Mushroom:
1. Help To Recover From Nervous System Injuries (Neuroprotection)
You can use it as an ointment or herbal treatment for some brain injuries or various neural damages.
It works by stimulating the growth of the nerves present in your neural system. It is also capable in the regeneration of the damaged nerves and hence produces new ones in case of an injury.
Studies suggest that the lion’s mane helps in the protection of the neural system of your body. Moreoff, it is likely said that it helps in repairing the nerve known as myelin in the brain
Lion’s Mane Mushroom do so by improving the functioning of nerves in the brain to produce certain types of enzymes.
Overall, as a medicinal herb, it is used to increase the content of NGF in your brain which further helps in enhancing the health and the functionality of the brain. Additionally, if you suffer from inflammation of neurons you can take it for the same.
2. Enhance The Brain Functioning
Mane mushroom makes the memory sharper as compared to the popular breeds of mushroom. It can also help you to think better and more by increasing your concentration power,
Of all the mushrooms present in this group, lion’s mane mushroom easily passes the barrier that occurs between the blood and the brain due to it’s lower molecular structural properties and helps in the stimulation and repairing the nerves present inside our body.
You can give it to your children as a brain tonic or you yourself can use Lion’s Mane Mushroom for enhancing your brain functioning.
Earlier studies suggest almost all types of Mushroom has the power to improve the cognitive ability in humans and this one is among the best for the same.
Trust me, it will help you to work effectively by enhancing your ability to work and focus properly. if you are in your old age and suffer from memory issues you can take this too
3. Lion’s Mane Mushroom Can Improve Your Digestion
Lion’s Mane Mushroom is used for the treatment of various stomach disorders. It works by enhancing the functioning of the organ of the digestive system which will also prevent stomach cancer and colon cancer. It can also stimulate the secretion of gastric juices.
Studies also suggest that Lion’s mane mushroom can reduce the body inflammation and also prevent damage to the intestinal area. An animal study showed that Lion’s mane mushroom can treat inflammatory bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
4. Help Your Detoxify
Lion’s Mushroom mane benefits can detoxify your body effectively. It can remove all the waste material from your body. The detoxification process can help you purify your blood and keep the infections caused by bacterial toxins at bay.
5. Prevent Ulcers
This mushroom is also used in the treatment of ulcers in the stomach or the liver present in our body.
Gastrointestinal disorders such as the gastric ulcers in our body are cured using this type of mushroom with the help of the crypto protection phenomenon possessed by it.
6. Cure Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s Disease
Lion’s Mane Mushroom has also helped in curing diseases like Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s diseases. These neurodegenerative diseases can even cause death if not cured timely. In Ayurveda, many medicines with name Lion mane mushroom brain damage are made to cure such diseases effectively.
The lion’s mane mushrooms contain two special compounds that can stimulate the growth of two important brain cells: hericenones and erinacines. These compounds can stop the degeneration of such deadly brain-damaging diseases.
A few studies done on mice showed that the extracts of the lion’s mane mushroom can reduce symptoms like memory loss and also prevent neuronal damage caused by amyloid-beta plaques. Plaques are responsible for causing neurodegenerative damage.
6. Strengthen The Immune System
Lion’s Mushroom is being used as a tonic for various sorts of health treatment since ages. In a study done on a rat, it was seen that the rat lifespan increased as their immune system strengthened with a daily intake of Lion’s Mane mushroom.
It works as it contains compounds like palmitic acid and threitol that have loads of antioxidant property.
Research shows that the lion’s mane has always affected the immune system of the human body in a positive way with the help of saccharides and peptides of the “poly” family.
In addition to this, it can help prevent cancer and also reduces the chances of tumor growth. It is also used to cure various impairments in your body as it strengthens the immune system.
7. Control The Cardiovascular Diseases
You suffer from heart diseases due to obesity, high triglycerides, and high amounts of cholesterol. With these elevations, the blood in your body clots and you tend to develop a cardiovascular disease.
Research shows that lion’s mane mushroom extract contains factors that can control these rising levels in your body and can reduce the risk of heart disease. Not only this the lion’s mane mushroom extract can improve your fat metabolism and lower the triglyceride levels too.
Obesity and high triglycerides level are considered to be the major factors of cardiovascular diseases. So, lion’s mane mushroom benefits can be good for your heart too.
There is a compound called hericenone B in it that reduces the blood clot rate and further decreases the risk of heart attack or stroke
8.Reduce Anxiety and Depression
Most of the people who are in old age suffer from anxiety and depression. The major cause of these two diseases is anxiety and depression.
As per WebMD, Lion’s mane mushroom extract can help you reduce the inflammatory effects and thus can control the signs of depression and anxiety too.
Another study showed that the lion’s mane mushroom benefits by regenerating the brain cells and the functioning of the hippocampus. Hippocampus in the brain is responsible for memories and emotional responses. The improved functioning of hippocampus can lead to reduced anxious and depressed behavior.
One small study in menopausal women found that eating cookies containing lion’s mane mushrooms daily for one month helped reduce self-reported feelings of irritation and anxiety. However, still, a lot is to be studied to find out the effect of Lion’s mane mushroom on the human.
9. Help You Maintain Your Diabetes Levels
Diabetes is related to high blood sugar levels which can further if left uncontrolled cause kidney diseases, nerve damage, and weak eyesight. Lion’s Mande Mushroom benefits can improve your blood sugar levels.
A study was done on diabetic mice to check the effect of lion’s mane mushroom extract on the sugar levels. The results suggested it lowered the blood sugar levels in mushroom as it blocks the activity of the enzyme alpha-glucosidase which controlled the break down of carbs and further controlled sugar levels.
You can use Lion’s mane mushroom capsules as a potential therapeutic supplement for diabetes.
10. Fight Cancer
Cancer is a condition occurring when the DNA is damaged and as a result causes the body cells to proliferate unconditionally. Lion’s Mane Mushroom extract has few compounds that have the cancer-fighting ability. It can fight against the various type of cancers like liver, colon, stomach, and blood cancer.
11.Improve Blood Circulation
The Lion’s Mane Mushroom extracts can prevent blood clots. There is a special component in it called the hericenone B that can inhibit the blood clot aggregation significantly.
12.Lower The Blood Pressure
There are few compounds in Lion’s mane that can regulate your blood pressure. it does so by maintaining the cholesterol levels, the triglyceride levels, and preventing the increase of bad cholesterol. This all together can reduce the blood pressure.
Medicinal Properties Of Lion’s Mane Mushroom
Lion’s mushroom has antibiotic, hepatoprotective, nephroprotective, anticarcinogenic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, cardioprotective, and antifatigue properties.
Nutrient Value Of Lion’s Mane Mushroom
Lion’s Mane mushroom has palmitic acid and threitol that have good health benefits.
It contains several polysaccharides, such as B-glucan, glucans, and xylans of the hetero family and also derivatives of triterpenes.
It has about 20 percent of the protein content.
How To Consume Lion’s Mane Mushroom For Best Health Benefits?
1) For best results, this mushroom must be consumed in the form of its powdered extracts. These powdered extracts are generally available in the form of Lion’s Mane mushroom capsules that are to be taken with shakes or any other liquids.
2) In tincture form, it is useful for those people who are under proper medication or therapy.
3) Third comes the dried form of the lion’s mane mushroom that can be used as an additive in tea or any other herbal drink.
4) A fresh mushroom is also a form which can be consumed in the steamed form. The liquid in which these mushrooms are steamed or cooked must be consumed along with the mushrooms in order to get the best healing effects.
5) It can also be consumed in its raw form as a part of the vegetarian diet in snacks or can be taken during the breakfast meal. This can also help in curing gastritis, a stomach disorder.
1) To cure the Disease, it must be taken in the quantity of ½ ts . It must always be consumed with water or any other liquid. It releases spirochetes very easily into the bloodstream that strengthens the immune system of the human body.
2) In order to stimulate the growth of the nerve cells, one teaspoon must be taken twice daily with small amounts of liquid or with water.
3) The approximated dose is supposed to be 500 mg that must be taken once daily or at maximum twice a day.
Lion’s Mane Mushroom Side effects
- It can lead to allergies on the skin if not consumed properly and can even make the skin very itchy. This may arise due to the increased levels of NGF that is the Nerve Growth Factor in our body.The NGF that is the nerve growth factor that is released leads to an imbalance in the functioning of the body.
- The derivatives of fungi present in these mushrooms can even cause perforations in the walls of the stomach, leading to improper digestion of food and health problems like acidity.
- When taken in excess, it can also hamper the functioning of the liver, the stomach, the heart and the intestines.
- Also, large amounts of minerals like potassium, zinc, iron, manganese that are present in this mushroom can hamper the growth and functioning of the body.
- It can also form a layer of fatty acids in the lower stomach, abdomen or the liver, leading to improper digestion of food preventing the secretion of variously required juices secreted by the intestines and the liver.
- It increases the concentration of mucus inside our body which can prove to be harmful.
- Lion’s mane mushroom can prove to be harmful if a person is on medications that pertain to some other disease or taken in high dose. It might not show immediate side effects, but with time can cause harm to the internal organs of the body if the content of polysaccharides is not taken in a controlled amount.
Now, when we have read about the uses and effects of Lion’s Mane Mushroom, we can say it is useful and inexpensive, it can be cultivated easily as it is grown using various types of kits that are available at several health and food stores and also has therapeutic benefits.
They are supposed to increase on high trees rather than on shrubs or at the base, so in this way, they are considered to be safe from the animals. It is deemed to be a saprotroph i.e. it feeds on dead plants and animals.
Thus, it is safe, and you can use it. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy