Rosemary oil supports a healthy lifestyle regimen and well-being. It is used to relieve pain and mental fatigue. It can address body circulation. Also, works as a decongestion of the respiratory system.
Oil works like the skin and hair care agent. It can also stimulate the hair growth. Rosemary oil can be blended with many massage oils.
It can be used in the bath, creams, lotions, and shampoos. It can be utilized in our kitchen for cooking.
Table of Contents
What Is Rosemary Oil?
Rosemary Herb has flat pine needle shaped leaves. It looks as if they are touched with silver. The word Rosemary means “dew of the sea.” And, this is shown in the uses of the oil.
Rosemary essential oil is extracted from the leaves (biological name Rosmarinus officinalis) and flowers of the single species of the plant through the process of steam distillation.
The oil has a woody, citrus-like fragrance. There are many varieties of the rosemary herb, and this depends on the place where it is cultivated.
Due to the difference in the area and climatic conditions, there are minor differences in the chemical composition and aroma of the oil.
The variation in an essential oil is called Chemotypes. Rosemary essential oil has three main Chemotypes, and they are:
a. Rosemary Essential Oil (Camphor Dominant)
The rosemary essential oil that is camphor dominant means it has a high concentration of camphor. It is considered as a powerful energy booster. The herb is grown in Spain and Croatia. Due to the richness of camphor, the aroma of the oil is sharp and cool. This oil should always be used in a diluted form.
b.Rosemary Essential Oil (Verbenone Dominant)
The Rosemary oil that is verbenone dominant is more gentle. The herb is grown in Corsica. The oil extracted contains less camphor, so it has a pleasing and herbaceous smell. This essential oil is very safe to use and is non-irritating to the skin.
c. Rosemary Essential Oil (Eucalyptol Dominant)
The herb grown constitutes eucalyptol, which is also known as 1,8 – cineole an aromatic compound and alpha-pinene. This is the most common variety of rosemary. Most rosemary essential oils are made from this variety of the plant. The herb is grown in Morocco and Tunisia.
Rosemary Oil is colorless to pale yellow and has a unique mix aroma of camphor, flora, and herbs.
Health Benefits Of The Rosemary Oil
- Benefits Of the Rosemary Oil
Rosemary Oil has remarkable health benefits
1. Rosemary Oil For Skin
Rosemary essential oil rehydrates and tones your skin. It rejuvenates the skin for an even toned complexion. It pacifies the dry skin and improves its elasticity.
Rosemary Essential Oil has a property of cell regeneration that helps in treating damaged and affected tissues of the skin, and this results in reducing the appearance of scars and spots.
The Oil helps in lightening dark spots and blemishes. The Oil has an astringent property that can keep the skin firm and tighten, thus it reduces the sagging of the skin
It can also counter fine lines and wrinkles. After that, working as an anti-aging remedy giving you a refreshing youth look for years. Antioxidant property of the oil curbs the free radicals that damage the skin.
The antibacterial property and non-comedogenic nature of the rosemary oil treat the tissues that cause acne. Therefore, giving you a pimple free skin.
It is also useful on insect bites. Oil can reduce the swelling and itching on the skin caused by the insect bite. Due to its antimicrobial and antiseptic qualities oil is beneficial in fungal infections and helps eliminate skin disorders and treating eczema, and psoriasis.
Also, try moringa oil to get a flawless skin.
How To Use Rosemary Oil For Skin?
- You can add 4-5 drops of rosemary essential oil to 20 ml of carrier oil. Massage it into your skin to give it a soothing look. It will also tone your skin.
- You can add rosemary oil and vitamin E to carrier oil. This helps in reducing wrinkles and fine lines.
- Apply some drops of rosemary essential oil on the insect bites to reduce the swelling and the redness. This will also help in treating ringworms.
- You can add rosemary essential oil and aloe vera gel in a beeswax base and apply only on the itchy patch this will help in eczema and psoriasis.
- You can also blend Rosemary essential oil with coconut oil and massage it over your stretch marks to make them fade.
- Blend the rosemary oil with the castor oil and massage thoroughly and after that rinse your face with warm water. This helps in curbing your acne.
2. Rosemary Oil For Haircare
Rosemary oil stimulates the cell division and dilates the blood vessels; this helps in revitalizing the hair follicles, which promotes to grow the hair long and strong.
It is way results in the thickening of the hair. Oil slows down premature hair loss and graying of the hair.
Rosemary Oil is an excellent tonic for bald people, using the oil can reform and open the scalp, root tissues, and results in hair growth again. Rosemary essential oil works wonders for dry and flaky scalps. It nourishes the scalp and removes dandruff.
Oil has a darkening attribute which can gently and softly darken your hair without the side effects of harsh chemicals caused due to dyes and colors.
Rosemary essential oil helps in preventing fungal scalp infections.
Evidence has proved that using the rosemary essential oil resulted in the increase of 22.4% in the new hair growth. It decreased the hair loss and improved the hair’s ability to resist traction. So, if you want to see the growth of your hair faster use the rosemary oil. You can also try grapeseed essential oil for hair growth.
How To Use Rosemary Essential Oil For The Hair?
- Rosemary oil can be mixed with tea tree oil and basil oil and massaged into the scalp to treat the hair problems.
- Rosemary oil can be combined with olive oil and massaged to darken and strengthen hair.
Oil can be used with carrier oils like coconut, olive or almond oils for producing new hair growth.
- You can also add 6 – 8 drops of rosemary essential oil in a shampoo (preferably herbal shampoo) and wash your hair. Now, massage the scalp with a few drops of rosemary essential oil blended with jojoba oil. This helps in growing the hair long.
- Apply rosemary essential oil with lavender, sage oil in smaller amounts on the scalp; this assisted in the regrowth of hair over the bald scalp.
- It is recommended to use the rosemary essential oil in the diluted form on the scalp. It can be diluted with any carrier oil.
3. Mental Health Benefits – Memory And Concentration
Rosemary Essential oil is a remarkable brain and nerve tonic. It awakens a person; it can improve the alertness and make you confident.
The oil helps you to focus on an issue and appropriately deal with it positively.
It stimulates mental activity and reduces mental fatigue and proves to be an excellent remedy for depression and the emotion of exhaustion.
Oil improves memory retention property of the brain, so helps us learn and remember things for years. It improves speed and accuracy when performing certain mental tasks.
Our saliva has a component called cortisol. This is the main stress hormones released during the tension. This can result in hormonal imbalance and the deficiency of the metabolism. Rosemary oil helps to decrease the level of cortisol thus relieving the body from stress.
Oil is also a mood enhancer and is an excellent remedy for mitigating tension, anxiety. It reduces depressive thoughts. Inhaling this oil rests your tired brain while stimulating and improving productivity.
Oil also has nervine property. Using the oil can keep the nervous system healthy.
Oil is relaxing and invigorating.
How To Use Rosemary Essential Oil For Mental Health?
- You can inhale rosemary oil straight from the bottle can calm the brain. It helps to think positively.
- You can massage the oil on the backbone this will protect and strengthen the nerves. Oil reduces nerve damage.
- Diffuse the oil in the car when you go on long drives. This will make you alert and confident.
- During the exams, you can inhale the oil and increase your concentration. It can also remove the boredom.
- Blend the rosemary oil with the lavender oil and inhale it this will reduce chronic stress and reduce anxiety.
- Mix 3 drops of rosemary oil with 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil and massage on upper neck this will improve your memory.
4. Pain Relief
The rosemary essential oil has an anti-inflammatory property that stimulates the blood circulation. This results in faster healing of wounds.
It also can relieve pain, cramps, spasms. It is magnificent for alleviating the pain from sprains and joint aches.
The healing quality of rosemary oil is useful in treating headaches. It can also help in migraines.
It also helps in treating arthritis, joint pains.
Oil has a diuretic attribute that helps in removing acids and wastes from the body. This may be in the form of urine.
How To Use Rosemary Essential Oil For Painful Aches?
- You can massage the rosemary essential oil on the painful joints to get instant relief.
- You can also add 6 – 8 drops of rosemary oil with olive oil and massage on the sore muscles to relax.
- Vaporize the oil in your room. The aroma can treat your headache.
- You can also inhale the oil to get relief from the pain.
Rosemary oil is an appetite stimulant. It used for indigestion. It relieves from stomach cramps, constipation, and bloating.
The oil also helps to regulate the creation and release of bile, thus improving the digestive system.
It aids in the proper blood circulation, these benefits the full absorption of nutrients from food.
How To Use Rosemary Oil For Digestion?
- You can combine the rosemary essential oil with the carrier oil and massage it on the stomach to get rid of bowel movements.
- Apply the oil to the bottom of your feet to alleviate indigestion.
- Add 1-2 drops of rosemary essential oil in the meat or heavy calorie dishes this helps in digestion properly.
- You can also add a few drops of Rosemary oil to your bathtub and have a warm water bath to aid your digestion.
6. Respiratory Problems
The rosemary essential oil has an antiseptic quality that gives relief from respiratory infections and throat congestion.
Due to its antispasmodic attribute oil can also treat bronchial asthma. Oil is used to treat respiratory allergies, colds the flu.
The aroma of rosemary oil can aid in dilating the bronchi and allowing air to flow easily through the body. This reduces chest congestion, and we can breathe properly.
How To Use Rosemary Oil For Respiratory Problems?
- You can add 4 – 6 drops of rosemary essential oil to a vaporizer and diffuse its aroma in the room. This smell is also helpful in asthma.
- You can put some peppermint leaves and rosemary essential oil in an empty nasal inhaler. A smell from this inhaler. This also helps in unblocking a nose. Diffuse the oil in your room to breathe filtered air.
Rosemary has a mesmerizing aroma, so it is an excellent inhalant. The oil is used in room fresheners, cosmetics, food, bath oil, candles, and perfumes because of its unique and intoxicating aroma.
How To Use Rosemary Oil Aroma Naturally?
Spray a mixture of rosemary essential oil and water to remove bad odors from rooms. It can also soothe and calm your mind.
8. Immune System Boost
Rosemary Essential oil has an antioxidant characteristic that fights off diseases and comforts our immunity system. It treats the free radicals that cause infections and thus boosts our immune system.
How To Use Rosemary Oil For Immunity?
Inhale the rosemary essential oil in the aromatherapy session to boost your immunity.
Side Effects And Toxicity
- Rosemary essential oil is a strong oil. It is advised to dilute it before applying to the skin; it may irritate if used undiluted.
- Rosemary essential oil should be utilized in small quantities for cooking.
- Rosemary essential oil should not be used by pregnant and nursing women.
- Excessive use of the oil may even lead to miscarriage.
- Do not ingest the oil it may cause vomiting
- Keep out the oil from the eyes, ears, and nose.
The chemical components of rosemary oil include 43.9% of a-pinene which has an anti-inflammatory property that works against fungal injection, 11.5% of camphor which is a volatile compound that is sharp and cool.
It can provide relief from respiratory problems, 8.6%of camphene that gives the aroma, 29.4% of 1,8-cineole that helps kill the airborne bacteria, 3.6% of myrcene that is a powerful antioxidant, 12% of dimethylphenol, bornyl acetate borneol, b-pinene, and limonene.
Oil is very low in essential fatty acids. It is rich in micro-nutrients and aromatic compounds.
Characteristics Of Rosemary Oil
The primary attributes of the rosemary oil are
- Anti-inflammatory – Oil reduces the redness and pain when applied topically.
- Analgesic-Oil reduces pain.
- Anti-epileptic – Rosemary essential oil calms epilepsy attacks and seizures.
- Cholagogue – Oil helps to relax liver, and it stimulates the discharge of bile acids.
- Choleretic – It aids in the digestion of fats and better cleansing of the guts.
- Carminative – Oil helps in expelling excess intestinal and stomach gas.
- Anti-colitis – It alleviates painful bowel movements
- Anti-rheumatic – It works wonderfully on arthritis pains.
- Anti-edema – Oil reduces swelling caused as a reaction to injury.
- Anti-depressant – Rosemary Oil can relieve depression.
- Digestive – Oil improves digestion of the stomach. The essential oil can improve the quality of gastric acid secretions.
- Anti-spasmodic –It calms the sprains and muscular spasms.
- Astringent –It can make the skin firm.
- Sudorific – Oil induces more sweat production, thus keeping the body healthy.
- Nervine -Rosemary Oil supports and stimulates the nervous system.
- Diuretic – It aids to get rid of excess water in the system.
- Anti-bacterial– It helps to get rid of airborne bacteria through aromatherapy blends.
Rosemary oil has versatile uses. It is used in aromatherapy. It can blend well with any other oil. The oil boosts your immune system, calm your brain and relieve you from pains and respiratory problems. It is an amazing oil that freshens your home.