Chikoo is known to be effective in curing constipation, improves mental health, treats hemorrhoids, prevents water retention, prevents cancer, provide nourishment for hair and scalp.
Chikoo is scientifically known as ‘Sapodilla.’Discover the amazing health benefits of Chikoo also known as Sapodilla in this article.
Table of Contents
Health Benefits Of Chikoo
Sapota is rich in nutrients and minerals. Sapota or chikoo benefits for health are various. It’s a tasty fruit and at the same time can give you a variety of health benefits.
1. Chikoo Fruit For Digestion
Chikoo is very rich in fiber, and thus behaves as a Laxative. So, consumption of chikoo is good for digestion and gastritis.
It works by stimulating the secretion of digestive enzymes and thereby increasing your digestive ability and metabolic rate too.
2. Chikoo For Constipation
A mixture of Chikoo with a pinch of salt is used as a treatment for constipation. Chikoo is rich in fiber so can help you loosen your stool and prevent constipation.
3. Chikoo For Weight Loss
This one is the well-known sapota health benefits. Even doctor recommend chikoo for weight loss. It has high fibers that can increase your digestion and metabolic rate and thus aid in weight loss.
4. Chikoo For Cancer
Chikoo is good for health for people suffering from cancer. Studies Suggest Chikoo helps in preventing the occurrence of Colon Cancer, Oral cavity, and Lung Cancer. it works by suppressing cancer producing cells. Moreoff, the Fibre present in Chikoo protects the mucous membrane in the Colon from developing colon Cancer.
5. Chikoo For Eye Sight
The Vitamins, Minerals, and sugars like sucrose and fructose present in Chikoo energize the body, provide resistance against pathogens and help in destroying free radicals. Particularly Vitamin A helps in maintaining good vision. If you have low eyesight you can start eating chikoo regularly.
6. Chikoo For Healthy Skin
Chikoo has many anti-oxidants, mineral, and vitamins that can help you keep your skin healthy and glowing. More off, it also has anti-oxidants that reduce the oxidative stress on your skin and help you delay the aging process of your skin.
7. Chikoo For Hemorrhoids
Chikoo fruits or sapota fruit is good for health. The chikoo fruit consists of Tannins which act as a medicine to hemorrhoids. it works by providing a warm effect to the hemorrhoids.
8. Chikoo As An Anti-inflammatory agent
Not only chikoo fruit but also the chikoo leaves are used as medicine to reduce inflammation. After taking fresh leaves and boiling them in water for ten minutes, leaves are separated, and water is consumed. This water can also be used for gargling. This way the anti-inflammatory properties of chikoo benefit your health.
9. Chikoo For Piles
The chikoo fruit has hemostatic quality which helps in preventing the loss of blood during piles and injuries. With time due to its medicinal properties has also the ability to cure piles permanently.
10. Chikoo During Cough And Cold
Consumption of Chikoo helps in reducing bacterial and viral infections and also helps in ease of pain and muscle spasms. It also helps in removing blockage of nose. Chikoo fruit for a cough and cold is an effective medicine.
11. Chikoo For Depression
Chikoo acts as natural sedative helps in reducing stress and relaxation of nerves. It is considered to be a best natural anti-depressant. It acts as a medicine for insomnia, anxiety and panic disorders. Thus, Chikoo is good for your health if you have any stress issues.
12. Chikoo For Dental Health
Chikoo is rich in latex, which is used by dentists to fill tooth cavities.
13. Chikoo For Pregnancy
The chikoo fruit has lots of Folic acid present in it. Folic acid is essential especially in the first trimester as it helps in the formation of red blood cells. Chikoo supports in the development of the fetus during pregnancy. Thus, you should always take Chikoo during pregnancy.
14. Chikoo For Blood Pressure
Potassium in chikoo fruits regulates blood pressure and blood circulation. Further when these both are regulated there is a lower risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. If you suffer from blood pressure issues try including sapota fruit in your daily diet.
15. Chikoo As A Detoxifier
Chikoo helps in removing toxins from the body through frequent urination. It helps in removing body wastes. It protects kidneys and also supports in the removal of kidney and bladder stones.
16. Chikoo For Insect Bite
Chikoo seeds can be made into a paste and used as an ointment for insect bites.
17. Chikoo As A Source Of Energy
Chikoo has loads of glucose in it. So, you can use this fruit to give you the required energy for a day. Keep it in your breakfast menu for getting maximum energy.
18. Sapota For Bones
Chikoo benefits for bones are many as it can prevent joint pain, arthritis, and increase your bone density. It does so as it has vital minerals like calcium, phosphorus, and potassium that are good for bones.
19. Chikoo For Diarrhoea
The chikoo fruit is anti-diarrheal due to its purgative properties. For diarrhoea, prepare a decoction made by boiling Chikoo fruit in water. Drink this decoction twice a day to get relief from Diarrhoea.
20. Chikoo For Relaxed Mind
Chikoo is a sedative and has a potency to calm down mind, body, and soul.
21. Chikoo For Kidney Stones
Chikoo is an excellent diuretic. It can help to expel out the kidney stones. Not only this, it can also protect against any kidney diseases too.
22. Chikoo As An Anti-ageing Agent
Chikoo fruit has huge amounts of anti-oxidants. It can help to reduce the oxidative stress and thus prevent signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, and dull skin.
23. Chikoo Tree For Removing Warts
The chikoo tree especially the chikoo leaves can be beneficial to remove warts. It is because of the milky sap in it that can remove of skin wart and other fungal infections easily without much pain.
Use chikoo leaves for the same. Try to wrap around chikoo leaves using a cotton cloth along the infect or wart area to remove them.
24. Chikoo Fruit For Diabetes
Even diabetic people can eat chikoo fruit. However, in moderate amounts. The chikoo fruit, when taken in moderate amounts, can provide an array of health benefits to diabetic people.
The most important benefit of chikoo fruit for diabetic people is its ability to maintain the kidney health.
25. Chikoo Fruit During Pregnancy
- Chikoo helps in reducing weakness in pregnant women.
- It provides instant energy and offers relief from nausea and dizziness during pregnancy.
- It is considered for good for both pregnant and feeding mothers.
26. Chikoo For Babies
Chikoo is considered very good for a growing baby. It doesn’t cause any allergies, and so it is deemed to be safe. A child can be introduced to chikoo at 6-8 months of age.
Vitamins present in chikoo help in the physical and mental growth of a baby. They are very essential for the body. Vitamin A develops proper eyesight. Vitamin B helps in the functioning of the body. It supports brain development, production of hemoglobin and red blood cells. Vitamin C helps in developing a strong immune system which is quite essential for children.
Minerals present in Chikoo support the growth of bones and various functions of the body.
Chikoo is considered an excellent remedy for cold and cough in infants. It helps in reducing congestion and clogging, thereby preventing the formation of mucous.
Chikoo is a source of antioxidants which are highly useful for a child’s health. Chikoo acts as a best natural medicine for diarrhea and dysentery in infants.
A raw Chikoo fed to a baby can cure diarrhea and dysentery. The tannins present in the bark of Chikoo tree can be boiled in water and used as medication.
Precautions To Be Taken While Feeding Chikoo For Babies
- Unripe fruits are to be avoided. It will be difficult for babies to swallow and digest.
- Ripened chikoo which can be made into a paste by pressing gently can be fed.
- Store chikoo in a cool and dry place.
- Children should not be given unripe chikoos.
- Eating unripe chikoos causes ulcer and irritation in the throat. It causes problems in breathing.
- Raw chikoos are rich in latex and tannins which create a bitter taste.
Know How To Feed Chikoo For Babies
Chikoo puree for babies:
- First, peel off the skin of chikoo.
- Then, remove the seeds carefully.
- Gently crush the fruit pulp with a blender.
- Make it pure by adding breast milk or formula.
- And then, feed it to your baby.
Uses Of Chikoo
- Chikoo has amazing benefits for your hair and skin.
- Eating chikoo helps in maintaining healthy hair.
- Chikoo acts as a medicine for seborrheic dermatitis.
- Chikoo seeds can be made into a paste and applied to the scalp, which treats dandruff.
- Oil extracts of chikoo seeds provide nourishment for hair and scalp.
- Consumption of chikoo helps in maintaining glowing and healthy skin.
- Vitamins present in chikoo moisturize the skin and make it look beautiful.
- Seed kernel oil of Chikoo is used as a skin ointment.
- Antioxidants present in chikoo fight against aging and reduce wrinkles.
- Chikoo helps in making skin smooth and fights against fungal infections.
Side Effects Of Chikoo
Though Chikoo is a great source of nutrients, it has a few side effects which have to be taken care of, while eating chikoo.
100 – 120 grams of chikoo can be eaten per day depending on the requirements of the person’s age weight and sex.
- Overeating of chikoo may cause an increase in weight due to high calories.
- Overeating may cause discomfort and pain in the abdomen.
- Eating raw chikoo may cause same effects as it causes to children, like itching in the throat, breathing problems and mouth ulcers.