If you will feel a burning throbbing or tenderness around the heel while walking or lifting, then it can be Achilles tendonitis pain. The pain is mainly felt around the ankle bone also known as the tendon and the backside of the heel.
You can easily confuse the Tendonitis with the other problems such as heel spur or plantar fasciitis. There are many common running injuries problem too that can be muddled with tendonitis.
However, the tendonitis pain is said to be an overused problem resultant in the tension and pressure that is placed on the tendon area and causes micro tears.
There are many natural ways to treat Achilles tendon pain. We have done a thorough research and have come up with the most effective home remedies to treat Achilles Tendon pain.
Table of Contents
Achilles Tendon And Its Sign
Tendonitis or Achilles tendonitis is another name for the Achilles Tendon Pain. It is usually caused by the stiffness, tearing or swelling in the connective tissues that are located around the heel and the side part of the ankle.
The main risk factors of the Achilles tendon pain are the stretching, skipping, stiffness, inflexibility, and the weak muscles of the leg and the degeneration of joints owing to the aging problem that slows down the recovery rate.
The biggest tendon in the human body is known as Achilles tendon that helps in the activities like running, walking, lifting and climbing in which your feet plays the most important part. It is present in the back area of the leg where it connects the heel bone with calf muscles.
This means that the tendon bears the maximum of the human weight that maximizes the pressure on that area. However, more pressure results in higher tension related injuries.
The tendon pain advances with age as connective tissue suffers the micro tears with time at the back side of the leg due to the excessive pressure put on them. This usually occurs due to over exercising, performing aggressive exercise and putting a lot of stress on the leg at once.
It also depends on the age as it is very common to feel the wear and tear with the increase in an age that degenerates the tissue at a lower rate.
The disorder is usually due to the disorder in the human body. The disorder is divided into two parts to explain it in a better way – Achilles tendonosis and Achilles tendonitis. The main difference between the disorders is that tendonosis is a serious problem as compared to tendonitis. They both might be similar but this simple thing put a lot of difference between them.
- Tendonitis can be cured with the help of some treatment, rest and exercise like stretching. It is just the inflammation in the tendon region that makes people feel uncomfortable. It could be continued if the tissue regeneration process slows down. This will be converted into a serious problem known as tendonosis.
- Tendonosis is an overuse injury that is explained and termed as tendinopathy. It is the swelling and pain of the tendon area that results in weakened ability to perform tasks.
This is said to be more complicated as in this, the tendon region losses its ability and normal structure due to the chronic degeneration that results in reputing of tissues. It is extremely common in the athletic competition as they perform intense exercise, osteoarthritis and over-exercise.
However, the two are determined by the location of the inflammation that gives the proper information about the disorder of Achilles tendinitis to the doctor.
- Insertional Achilles tendinitis results in the extreme pain in the lower section of the heel area where you can feel the connection between heel and tendon-bone.
- Noninsertional Achilles tendinitis results in the pain in the middle section of the tendon.
Home Remedies For Achilles Tendon Pain
Before proceeding to the surgery, you can try out the few better options on how to treat Achilles tendonitis pain quickly.
However, it is not effective in all the cases and it becomes important to seek medical help to overcome the problem.
So, if your pain is mild try out these home remedies to treat Achilles tendon pain quickly.
1. Cold Compress
You can try out an easy and effective manner to overcome the swelling and reducing pain. It is effective for all sort of disorders that you might face in the tendon area.
Simply put on the ice bag on the region wrapped in a thin towel. Apply it for 10-15 minutes a day and keep repeating the process.
You will start to observe the changes on your own. Avoid putting the cold ice bag directly on the skin as it can cause frostbite. Nevertheless, it’s a good remedy to heal Achilles tendonitis quickly.
2. Stretch And Rest
Another thing you must do is rest as much as possible. However, it won’t be possible with the daily life schedule that needs out active participation. Simply take a short break from your exercising schedule like 5-7 days.
Nonetheless, you can practice yoga postures but make sure that you are only following those that don’t affect your tendon region more than it already is.
You can stretch your heel region but don’t test your limit as it can even cause more problem. Yoga stretching is an effective remedy to treat achilles tendon pain.
Don’t put aggressive exercise or weight in the region that can push back the recovery and worse can leave you with a lifelong problem. Don’t overdo it and keep it still for a maximum 30 seconds only.
Try to stand on your own on half a foot and then slowly lower down your heels. Try to improve the flexibility of the ankle joints. You can even try calf exercises that fall under yoga.
3. Castor Oil
It is a natural plant-based oil that is used in a number of medicines to treat ailment and stomach pain problems. It is also used to reduce dandruff and wrinkles.
All you need to do is apply the oil on the affected region like you are giving a massage. It will relieve you from the pain and reduce the inflammation problem.
This happens due to the presence of Vitamin E in the oil. The Vitamin E Oil nourishes the muscles and acts as a natural way to treat Achilles tendon pain
It is a world-famous and highly popular ingredient that is used to recover from any sort of pain. It is a natural element that has been used in medical science for ages due to the presence of curcumin in it that helps in fighting off the pain. For ages, turmeric is used as the most natural way to heal achilles tendonitis pain quickly.
Many medical researchers have named it as a natural painkiller due to its ability to reduce the pain instantly. You can simply add it to your daily diet or took it with a glass of milk. This will show the changes instantly and you will feel that you are recovering from the pain.
5. Say No To Tobacco
The consumption of tobacco or smoking slows down the healing process. It plays a negative effect on the blood supply which gradually decreases.
If the blood supply tends to zero then the rate of recovery of tissues is pushed to a minimum. This will only make you feel pain for a long while. So, it is better to quit tobacco products that can only cause trouble.
6. Elastic Bandage
Another thing to do is do tie the warm wraps on the effective area. It will lower down the pain and slow down the swelling problem.
You simply have to keep it wrapped for a few days so that it can recover steadily away from any more soreness or swelling. However, make sure that the bandage is not wrapped tightly and the blood is able to circulate easily.
There are many things that you must add to your daily life like collagen, Anti-inflammatories and Omega 3s. Collagen is the protein-rich diet that increases the strength and durability of the connective tissue. It actually helps in reducing pressure and adds pads in the space between joints and bones.
However, Omega 3s are mainly included in flaxseeds, wild caught fish, and grass-fed beef and chia seeds. It also includes the herbs like ginger and garlic and organic fruits and vegetables.
The inflammatory food includes the vitamin and mineral rich products that helps in reducing stress and lead a better life.
Precautions For The Treatment Of Achilles Pain
Well, the thing is that the pain is endless and no matter what you do it will find a loophole to come back. However, in this case, you can simply reduce the chance of any sort of rupturing or getting severely injured. Here are the precautionary steps you can take in order to avoid the problem.
- Make sure to stretch your body properly before starting any exercise.
- Don’t overuse your body and make sure you take proper rest in between.
- Don’t test your limit and relax your muscles as much as you can.
- While doing yoga make sure you perform better postures that can increase the strength of tendon.
- Talk to a doctor if you feel that the pain is unbearable as more exercise can be harmful.
Symptoms Of Achilles Pain
The Achilles tendon help in raising and lowering the heels from the ground which is most important for the common activities like walking, running and exercising. This is the reason that this is a highly popular injury among sportsperson, exercising experts and runners.
However, if the injury remained untreated or ignored for a longer period of time then it will only grow with the time that can be very harmful to the person.
Here is the list of common symptoms that can give you an indication that it is important to visit a doctor as soon as possible.
1) When you feel a sensation of pain along the back section of your foot, at the side part of ankle bone and just above the heel area.
2) Sensation or throbbing felt while moving or lifting the ankle or heels. This will be felt properly when you try to stand on your toes and lift your heel off the ground. Especially if you participate a lot in intense exercises then it is common for you to feel it.
3) You might feel inflamed tissue, swelling, stiffness, tenderness or thickening near the heel part.
4) You won’t be able to move your heel or ankle at a larger distance.
5) It is possible that you will hear some strange noises while walking from the Achilles tendon area like popping or cracking sound.
However, it is possible that you will get confused about the noise. You can simply, test for the Achilles tendonitis. All you need to do is pinch the side and back of your leg near the ankle and heel bone.
If you feel the sharp buzzing pain and it limits your motion tendency, even the sign of inflammation or swelling then you must visit the doctor as soon as possible.
Another test is simple, raise your heel off the ground and keep them lifted about 2-3 inches above the ground and try to feel them.
If you feel that the skin about heels is tender and you are facing problem in the lifting of your leg then get to the exercise routine. Stretch and rest, if it won’t work then visit a doctor.
Causes And Risk Factor Of Achilles Tendon Pain
As mentioned about, tendon pain is caused due to the inflammation of the connective tissue that is soft and tender tissue surrounding the bones and muscles.
Tendon can be explained as a stretchy mob of fibrous tissues that helps in connecting bones and muscles together.
The man task performed by tendons are to allow pulling of the muscles through which it is easy to lift a bone that helps in the process of movement.
On repeating the process, the tendon becomes stiff that result in the straining and stretching of the muscles. With the increase in age, the problem of tendonitis also grows and sometimes becomes out of control. As with age, it becomes weaker, more flexible, and more prone to injuries with the excess exercise.
The following are the main causes of Achilles tendon pain. It can happen with the combination of more causes.
1) No stretching before intense exercise is the common cause of tendon pain. The person who vigorously workout after a break of once a week is more prone to have the tendon pain. As the muscles relax during the time and without any indications they are exposed to the pressure.
2) The intensive exercise that requires the proper attention of the tendon area. It can include anything like hiking, climbing stairs, running and walking with not comfortable or supportive shoes.
3) Athletes usually undergo a lot of training with less or no resting time between the sessions. It put unnecessary tension and strain on the tendon area. Also, with not much time to recover or repair the tissues, the condition becomes worse with time. It includes jumping, acceleration and tackling.
4) The weak or tight calf muscles could be caused when the person forget to stretch his muscles that lead to adding the pressure on the Achilles tendons. This usually happens due to the poor form, muscular recompense and postural problem.
5) Inflexibility and rigidity in the muscles and joints happen mainly due to the problem of arthritis, aging or inactive lifestyle.
6) Inflammation and joint deterioration that happens because of the autoimmune diseases. Other than that if a person is suffering from diabetes, thyroid disease, gout and frequent infection then they are prone to the tendon pain.
Predictable Action For Achilles Pain
Overuse or an inflammation are the most common causes of Achilles tendon pain.
In this condition, the most predictable action that must be taken is as follows.
1) Avoid exercising and take a proper interval of rest in between. Especially if you are suffering from a long time injury then it is important to avoid intense exercise.
2) The area that underwent the pressure and stress, make sure to ice the area regularly.
3) In order to reduce the swelling, you must try to compress it by wearing a night. They are a very effective technique used for the Achilles tendinopathy.
4) You can even try out anti-inflammatory medicines and corticosteroids that help in the reduction of excessive pain. There are other medicines as well as aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc. that are highly popular for the treatment of Achilles tendon pain.
5) However, if the common ways of controlling the problem are not effective then the last option is to undergo the surgery. In the open surgery, the tissues are repaired and the pressure is relieved from the tendon area. However, you would need approximately 7 months to be back to the normal schedule after the surgery.
We can’t say bye to our daily life activities but all we can do is to be a tad bit more careful while running around and lifting off the heel from the ground.
You must add the above-mentioned diet in your daily routine and make sure to properly rest. These ways are just a way to make you feel a little bit better. However, if the pain turns severe then immediately visit the doctor.