If your looking for solutions to get rid of those bumpy rough patches from your skin, this article will be right up your alley.
Actinic Keratosis or solar keratosis is a problem in which you can observe bumps or rough patches on the skin. It happens due to the excessive exposure of the sun.
It is a side effect of the ultraviolet radiations or even tanning beds. The cells are a non-cancerous problem. However, it can turn cancerous if left untreated.
However, the risk is 20 percent to convert into squamous cell carcinoma. Hence it is important to treat is as soon as possible.
There are many fruitful ways to treat actinic keratosis using ingredient at home. The article will give you a list of home remedies to treat actinic keratosis at home and a brief information about the condition too.
What Is Actinic Keratosis?
When human body comes in contact with sun then it produces Vitamin D. This is good for the system. However, as we are familiar with the term, everything in excess is dangerous for us.
Hence, the excessive sun exposure can be havoc on the human skin. One such problem that can adapt due to the sun is actinic keratosis. These are the rough patches on the skin.
These patches started to appear on the forearms, ears, back of the hands, neck, lips, nose and even scalp. However, if you are in the sun for a few hours then you are safe. This happens because it needs years of exposure to the sun which results in then development of actinic keratosis.
Since, it is a skin condition that must not be taken casually. In the beginning, the patches will be small but with time they tend to grow to a bigger size. This condition is happening in an adult as they spend a longer period of time in the sun.
However, if proper treatment is not taken then it results as skin cancer. You can easily prevent this condition by limiting sun exposure and protect skin from the UV rays.
Home Remedies For Actinic Keratosis
Actinic keratosis is not a harmful problem if treated in time. If you feel the symptoms then you can follow the few home remedies that can stop the problem at the time only. Here are few natural treatments that are followed for the cure of actinic keratosis.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar For Actinic Keratosis
It is one of the most effective remedies for the treatment of many health issues. It can cure several skin ailments and itching.
All you need to do is to apply the apple cider vinegar on the affected area regularly for much better results. You will observe the changes after a few time use itself.
How To Do It?
- You need to take a cotton ball or swab and dip it in the apple cider vinegar and then dap it over the skin area where you feel bumps.
- Then use a waterproof bandage to cover the area tightly.
- Keep the area overnight and remove in the morning.
- The bumps will start to convert into a whitish texture with the use of apple cider vinegar treatment. And slowly, you will observe that the bumps are removed with the help of its acidic content.
2. Virgin Coconut Oil
Treating actinic keratosis with organic coconut oil is a treatment with a lot of patience as the improvement will take some time.
How To Do It?
- Apply the oil on the affected area but make sure to do it regularly. It will remove the bumps from the nose, forehead, neck, scalp, and face.
- When you will start to apply the oil, the spot will turn to red and you might feel the burning feeling.
- After a few months of regular use, you will see the changes as the skin will turn softer and the bump will vanish eventually.
- Make sure to apply the oil daily on the bump. Once a day is essential until the spot fades.
3. Tea Tree Oil
For the treatment of actinic keratosis, tea tree oil, which is stacked with the antimicrobial properties, is one of the effective treatment. The main point to remember is that you must not consume it or apply directly to the affected area or anywhere on the skin.
Method Of Application
- Dilute tea tree oil by using virgin coconut oil.
- Then apply the solution on the affected area slowly.
- Repeat the process for a few days and you will observe that the spots are slowly vanishing.
4. Green Tea
The most effective herbal remedy for many problems is green tea. You can call it an all-rounder for the treatment of this problems.
You can take it as tea or simply apply it on the skin. There are astringent properties that are available in green tea making it a reliable solution to many skin problems.
Even if you get a sunburn, you can place the green tea bag on the area after soaking it in warm water that will prevent more damage to the area.
You can use it in the form of supplement or simply drink as tea which can be bought from any online or health stores. There are no side-effects in consuming green tea if anything it will only help you with your problem.
But don’t over consume it and drink the average of five cups per day otherwise you can have the problem of headaches, diarrhea, and irritability.
However, if you feel any type of itching while applying the bag to the skin then you must stop this process and visit a doctor.
5. Water Intake
Consuming 8 glasses of water in the day helps in keeping our body hydrated. With the hydrated skin, your body can easily flush out the body toxin through the process of urination.
With no toxin substance in the body, it will keep your body away from harmful effects. This way it proves to be an effective home remedy to treat actinic keratosis.
As per the research, the cream or gel with the 10 percent quantity of BEC or solasodine rhamnosyl glycosides is a much efficient treatment for the actinic keratosis, basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma.
Since 1825, Solanaceae plant family is the source of BEC. Doctors widely used this extracted material (from eggplants) as a remedy for the malignant and benign skin issues.
Cider vinegar and eggplants as widely used remedies for actinic keratosis. You can make your natural eggplant cream at home with the simple steps.
Method Of Application
- Mince a medium sized eggplant properly.
- Once the pieces are crumpled then place the content in a jar and add some apple cider vinegar to it.
- Make sure that the content is covered in the vinegar mixture.
- Then place the mixture in the fridge for 3-4 days. Once the color of vinegar turns dark then you can start to use it.
- Take a cotton swab and dip it in the mixture and apply in on the skin. Use for few days for better results.
7. Castor Oil For Treating Actinic Keratosis
Another most used ingredient as a home remedy is – Castor oil. However, there are a few cases that claim that castor oil is not much efficient for the treatment of actinic keratosis. But it is a sure thing that you won’t have any side effects by using this remedy making it a perfect try option.
The burns and inflammation that happen due to lesions are disturbing. You can use it for calming and soothing effect. It is very efficient in the removal of the spots if applied regularly.
8. Dietary Changes
You need to maintain a nutritious and healthy diet that helps in sustaining a healthy life and keeping the disease away.
A healthy diet helps with the proper working of the mind. It also prevents any harmful diseases to come into contact with our bodies such as actinic keratosis and skin cancer.
You don’t have to suffer from actinic keratosis to keep a balanced diet, you must include five type of fresh fruits and vegetable in your daily diet. It is important to include citrus containing vegetable and fruits like organs and broccoli that are Vitamin C rich products, selenium for mineral, and beta-carotene as antioxidants. A balanced diet helps your body in maintaining the health of skin and cell.
You must get a dose of beans, vegetable and whole grains to boost your immune system. Here are some of the anticancer and immune-boosting properties.
- Green Tea
- Hot pepper
- Olive Oil
You can also include the food that is a rich source for the omega-3 fatty acids. It helps in keeping skin healthy and maintain the immune system. In addition to this, it is used for the prevention of melanoma.
You can cook fish in olive oil, fish oil or butter twice a week to maintain an extra layer for the protection. However, it is important to avoid a few food items that are cancer-causing such as artificial sweeteners, red meat, and preservatives.
For the treatment of actinic keratosis, iodine is observed as another of the most effective ingredients. Use a cotton swab or ball to apply iodine on the affected area at least twice a day for better results.
Since iodine leave a stain on the skin for some time so it is better to apply it during the night to avoid going out with yellow-orange skin. Another product used for internal and external use is – Lugol.
10. Colloidal Silver
It is a colorless and odorless supplement that is used for the treatment of actinic keratosis. You can use a spray bottle to store colloidal silver and spray it over the affected area two times a day.
Cause Of Actinic Keratosis
This condition usually experienced with people that stay in the direct sun exposure. It will result in the growth of a small rough spot on the skin which discolored. This skin is raised and rough spot is usually named as solar keratosis with the diameter of 2-6 mm.
Often, it is an appeared as reddish with a small white scalp like thing on top. You will feel soreness and tenderness when you try to rub the rough spot on cloth or finger.
This condition is usually seen in the people who have a fair complexion. With their maximum time out in the sun, they are prone to adopt it.
As mentioned above, it actually requires a lot of year time to form colourless and wrinkled appearance on the skin.
It is important to treat to actinic keratosis as soon as possible without any further delay due to the premalignant nature of these bumps.
So, treat them to avoid skin cancer. Not all the bumps are harmful, some of them are malignant but it is still essential to get a proper treatment.
Symptoms Of Actinic Keratosis
There are many signs and symptoms of an actinic keratosis that can warn you beforehand that it is time to start the treatment before the matter goes out of hand.
- Flat to slightly raised bump on the skin’s top layer.
- It can be colorless or can be red, pink or brown.
- Actinic keratosis is found in the exposed area that has maximum sunlight like ears, lips, neck, hands, scalp, forearms and face.
- Burning or itching in the exposed areas.
- Hardware-like surface but this happens in few cases only.
- A dry, scaly and rough patch of skin that is less the diameter 1 inch that is 2.5 centimeter.
What Does An Actinic Keratosis Look Like?
It can be very difficult and troublesome to have a rough and scaly skin with a bump like structure. However, with the early treatment, you can easily eliminate any type of risk even before it turns bigger skin problem. You need to visit a doctor for earlier diagnosis in case you see any symptoms of actinic keratosis.
There are home remedies that are used for actinic keratosis treatment to help you to get rid of the bumps. You can follow the home remedies with the doctor’s prescription that can help you to cure the bumps.
Alternative For Actinic Keratosis
If the above methods are not that affected to cure actinic keratosis then you can opt some alternative methods that can help you to cure the skin bumps.
In this solution, liquid nitrogen which is an extremely cold substance is used in order to destroy unwanted tissue. The freeze-drying process makes the actinic keratosis to shed off from the skin.
2. Other Surgery Options
Doctors usually recommend surgery methods that are used in order to get rid of the burns or severe actinic keratosis.
3. Medicated Topical Cream
This makes the bump to fall out of the skin. It is an effective method but it leaves a painful and unpleasant skin appearance that stays on the skin, visible for few weeks.
4. Photodynamic Therapy
It is a new method that includes the injection that contains a chemical compound in the nerves. The chemical get collects in the bumps that make them vulnerable.
If a person is diagnosed with actinic keratosis then they are suggested to perform a regular examination to avoid the formation of lesions and also to check that the older bumps are not getting denser that can cause cancer. Also, after the treatment, you must avoid the sun exposure to reduce extra risk.
How To Prevent Actinic Keratosis?
It is important to take preventive measure for the actinic keratosis as it can result in cancer if the condition gets worse.
You must keep yourself protected from the sun to make sure that you don’t go through the issues again and to avoid recurrence of spots of actinic keratosis.
You can follow this preventive measure to keep your skin protected.
- Don’t go out much in the sun especially the time between 10 am to 2 pm as the sun is at the peak during that time. Also, don’t stay in sun much to get suntan or sunburn. This will damage the skin resulting in the risk of skin cancer and actinic keratosis.
- You can also use sunscreen to reduce the risk of actinic keratosis. So, before going out, you must apply sunscreen broad-spectrum with the total SPF (sun protection factor) minimum to 15. It is recommended to use the sunscreen with 30 SPF and make sure it is water resistant.
- Make sure to apply it on the exposed skin and also use the sunscreen lip balm to apply on your lips. When you go out in the sun, apply the cream 15 minutes prior. Reapply the cream after every two hours if you sweat or swim.
- You can use overall or cover-ups. Use the clothes that cover your legs and arms properly without leaving any skin unexposed. Also, make sure to use a hat with broad-brimmed that will be more protected as compared than golf visor or baseball cap. You can also use outdoor gears that are specifically designed for the protection against sun.
- You must also not use tanning beds as they expose your skin to UV rays. It will tan your skin causing damage to already damages skin. The radiation produced in the tanning bed is absorbed in some time. It will accelerate photoaging process that will increase the chance of cancer.
- Also, keep a close track of your skin and if you feel any kind of uneasiness in the areas then contact a doctor. Make sure that any change in skin or existing freckles, moles, birthmarks and bumps must report to a doctor. Use a mirror to check ears, neck, face and scalp. Also, you must check the underside of your hands and arms even the top.
Actinic Keratosis vs. Seborrhoea Keratosis
Seborrhoea keratosis is the skin condition that occurs on the face, trunk and neck region. It can take many colors that include tan, yellow, brown or black which are often oval or flat in shape or a slight bump like structure. Seborrhoea keratosis are itchy sometimes and lesions are marked more as the characteristics pasted-on appearance.
Whereas Actinic Keratosis is a different skin problem that results in lesions and skin growth that are scratchy, dry and scaly in form. They usually appear to be skin in color which makes it difficult to be visible with naked eyes.
However, there are many cases in which they appear to red colored bumps that are larger and scaly skin patches that occur due to the sun exposure.
When To See A Doctor?
If you do not belong to a medical background then it might be difficult for you to differentiate between the cancerous and noncancerous bumps.
So, when you notice the changes in your skin, you must visit a doctor and get a proper evaluation. This is essential if you go through some extreme conditions such as grow, lesion persists or spots or even bleeding.
1. Can Actinic Keratosis Go Away On Its Own?
Occasionally, the problem comes when a person comes in contact with the sun that results in itchy tender sensations. However, they sometimes disappear completely but reappear after some time.
Another things is, if a person avoid sun for few years then theft can go away on its own. Otherwise, it is important to follow the treatment.
2. Can Actinic Keratosis Become Cancerous?
You can easily remove or clear all the actinic keratosis if you treat it in the initial state only. This will help in recovering itself and the skin cancer threat will eliminate completely.
However, if you don’t treat it on time then the spots will progress to next stage forming squamous cells carcinoma which is a type of cancer. This is not a life-threating disease if treated on time.
3. Is Actinic Keratosis Benign Or Malignant?
Since 1825, Solanaceae plant family is the source of BEC. The extracted material is an effective remedy for the malignant and benign skin issues.
For the easy use you can extract it from the eggplants. There are people that claim it to be benign but it is not clear as both are the skin problems.
4. Can Actinic Keratosis Be Itchy?
Not always, Actinic keratosis can be itchy but at very fewer occasions. They are mainly harmless but if exposed to the sun for a longer duration then they can give an itchy feeling.
5. Is Actinic Keratosis Deadly?
It is important to treat carcinoma cells on time only otherwise the condition can be turned to deadly.
However, sun exposure is highly important. Hence, use a long sleeves t-shirt, a pair of pants, hats to cover up the area when you are out in the sun rather than applying sunscreen.
The chemical overuse of the skin can also cause reactions that can cause skin cancer. So, use natural products as much as you can.