Premature graying of hair is a common problem now. Most of the people are facing the issue of premature grey hair at an early age due to various factor.
Though you can use hair dyes to cover them they have serious side effects and don’t provide a permanent solution.
If you are suffering from premature hair grey problem then you can try these effective natural home remedies.
Home Remedies For Grey Hair
1. Coconut And Curry Leaves
Curry leaves have certain pigment that is helpful in restoring the original color of your hair. Include them in your diet to maintain the color of your hair. You can use them as tempering and eat with chutneys and gravy, boil them in water and drink in the form of tea. You can even grind them with curd or buttermilk and drink it. This is one of the effective remedy to get rid of grey hair.
You Can Also Make A Hair Tonic Using Coconut Oil And Curry Leaves By Using The Following Procedure
- Mix 100 ml of coconut oil and the handful of curry leaves together.
- Boil them till the leaves turn black.
- Strain the mixture and store in a container.Use them to massage your scalp only.
- Massage your scalp every night for 20 minutes before going to bed.
- Wash off next morning.
- Use this remedy for at least 3 months to get the results.
2. Ridged Gourd And Coconut Oil
Ridged gourd or the commonly called loofah is used as an external body cleanser. It is also used to treat color related diseases like leprosy and jaundice. This ridged gourd can also be used to treat premature graying in men.It also helps to enrich hair roots and restore pigments. If you use this remedy for a while your hair will get rid of grey hair.
To Make The Hair Tonic Follow The Below Procedure
- Cut half a cup of ridged gourd into small pieces and let them dry under the shade.
- Now soak dried ridged gourd in 1 cup of coconut oil for four days.
- Boil the mixture on a low flame till it turns black.
- Strain the mixture and store the strained oil in a container.
- Massage your scalp using this oil twice a week.
3. Sesame And Carrot
One of the main centers of Ayurvedic practitioners for premature graying of hair is South India. If you already have grey hair then I will tell you a remedy that is used in south India. This will help change the grey color of your hair to its natural color.
You can also use this remedy on other body parts to turn the hair color into its natural colors, like mustache, eyebrows, chest, and beard.
- Take 1 cup of sesame oil and an equal amount of carrot juice.
- Mix carrot juice and sesame seed oil with ½ cup of fenugreek seed powder.
- Leave the mixture under the sun for 21 days. After this, you can apply the mixture on your scalp.
- Use this remedy for three months to get a visible change in the hair color.
This treatment will definitely prevent grey hair on eyebrows, beard.
4. Buttermilk And Curry Leaves
We have already discussed above that curry leaves are beneficial for our hair and how we can use them.
We can drink the mixture of curry leaves and buttermilk but you can also massage your scalp with the mix. This will be of great help to those who already have oily hair and would not prefer applying more oil to their hair.
This Remedy Is Helpful For Those Who Are Suffering From Hair Loss
- Take half a cup of curry leaves and half a cup of buttermilk.
- Extract the juice from curry leaves by grinding them and squeeze the juice out.
- Mix buttermilk and curry leave juice.
- Heat it for 5 minutes and then allow it to cool till it turns lukewarm.
- Apply this on the scalp and allow it to rest for half an hour.
- Wash your hair using lukewarm water.
5. Lemon And Amla
This is one of the age-old home remedy to treat grey hair.Amla is a good source of vitamin A and so is the lemon. Amla helps to reduce the deficiency of the pigment melanin and also repairs the dead cells on the scalp. Lemon has the antibacterial, anti-fungal and antioxidant properties that helps to cure problems like hair-fall, damaged and white hair problems.
For This Remedy You Require
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 teaspoons of water
- 4 teaspoons of Amla powder.
The Process Of This Remedy Is As Below
- Mix all the above ingredients well to make a paste.
- Then leave it for an hour.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and hair roots as shampoo.
- Leave it for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Wash it thoroughly with clean water. But be careful it should not go into your eyes.
- Also, remember not to shampoo your hair when using this remedy.
- Use it every fourth day in a week.
Henna is a herb which has been in use in India since ancient times. It conditions and provides strength to the hair. It also prevents thinning of hair, graying and split ends. It is also an excellent natural remedy to color your hair, which could be made easily at home.
- Make a paste of henna and amla powder by mixing some water with it.
- Leave this paste for 2 hours.
- After two hours, apply this paste to your scalp.
- Then wash it after an hour.
7. Black Bea Remedy
Black tea works as a natural dye that will color your hair and that too without any chemicals.
- Boil some water and put some tea to it.
- Then wait for the water to come to room temperature.
- Strain the mixture using a strainer and put it in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture on your hair and brush your hair with a comb to spread the mixture evenly.
- Then using cold water wash your hair after an hour without using shampoo.
8. Sage Water Treatment
This remedy will help in restoring the natural hair color and also stops the growth of grey hair.
- Boil some water and put some black sage leaves to it.
- Wait till the water comes to room temperature.
- Then the mixture needs to be strained and put in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture on your hair and brush your hair with a comb to spread the mixture evenly.
- Wash your hair with shampoo preferably herbal shampoo after two hours.
- Use this remedy for a few weeks to see visible results.
9. Coconut Oil And Lemon
This remedy will help to make your hair black, soft and shiny. This remedy nourishes your hair and also delays the process of grey hair.
- Mix some amount of coconut juice with three tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Apply the prepared mixture evenly on your scalp.
- Then comb your hair.
- Keep it for half an hour and then wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
10. Earth Wash Remedy
A very straightforward and natural remedy is available in your garden. This remedy will not only help to treat grey hair but it is also beneficial if you are suffering from a headache, sleeplessness and eye inflammation.
- Just dig some earth deep from your backyard.
- Pour some water and strain the mixture using cheesecloth.
- Wash your hair using this strained water.
11. Sesame Seed Remedy
Sesame seed is rich in antioxidants and omega 6 fatty acids that prevent graying of hair. You can use it in many ways to prevent grey hair.
- Soak some black sesame seeds in water. Grind them into a fine paste using a grinder. Now apply the paste on the scalp.
- You could also mix sesame seeds with yogurt and eat it every morning on an empty stomach.
- Grind some sesame seed and mix with amla oil. Apply this mixture on your scalp and leave for half an hour. After that wash using a mild shampoo.
12. Triphala, Bhringraj And Amla Remedy
Triphala works to repair the damaged and grey hair so does bhringraj an ancient herb which treats all hair problems.
Remedy Using Amla And Bhringraj
- Make amla powder and put the powder in a clay pot.
- Soak the mixture with bhringraj juice.
- Boil the mixture and take it off from heat and let it cool.
- Dry them and take about five grams of this mixture with fresh water daily.
This will also help in making your eyesight sharp. Boil this mixture in a clay pot so that it doesn’t oxidize in a metal bowl.
Remedy Using Triphala, Bhringraj, And Amla
- Boil Amla and Triphala in Bhringraj juice.
- Let the mixture dry.
- Take the powder with warm water daily in the morning.
13. Indian Bahera Remedy
This will help to turn your white hair into the black in just a few days.
- Use powdered bahera and Oil.
- Mix the bahera and oil.
- Apply the mixture all over your hair.
- Rinse well with water after a couple of minutes.
14. Amla And Hibiscus Flower Remedy
Regular usage of hibiscus is right to make hair shiny and healthy. It also helps to prevent hair loss and dandruff. This also contributes to turning grey hair into black.
- Crush the Amla to make a smooth pulp.
- Mix it with little hibiscus juice. Use this remedy regularly for rinsing the hair.
15. Fenugreek And Coconut Oil Remedy
This remedy will help in slowing down the graying process.
- Wash some fresh fenugreek leaves and grind them to make a smooth paste.
- Dry these leaves under the sun to make into powder.You can use directly fenugreek powder to skip the above step.
- Mix with coconut oil and apply the paste on the scalp.
- Leave for half an hour and rinse well using water.
Alternatively, you can also use amla, fenugreek and coconut oil for your hair.
- Mix two tablespoon of amla, one tablespoon of fenugreek powder with 1cup of coconut oil.
- Heat the mixture on low flame till you see oil turning brown.
- Strain the mixture and store in an airtight container.
- Apply it every night and wash off in the morning.
16. Mango Kernel Oil
Unrefined mango kernel oil is useful in regaining the hair color and is also easy to apply. This also prevents hair loss. It moisturizes and nourishes the hair.
For The Remedy, You Would Require
- 1tbs of mango seed powder
- 1 tbs of mango kernel oil
- 1 tbs of powdered amla
- Vinegar as desired
- Mix mango seed powder, mango kernel oil, and powdered amla. Then add vinegar to make a paste.
- Let it sit for about 12 hours.
- Apply this paste on your hair evenly.
- Wait till it dries and then wash your hair.
17. Henna And Coffee
The mixture of henna and coffee together will work wonderfully to give your hair its natural color. Use this remedy two times a week.
- Mix 1 cup of henna powder, Coffee powder, 1 tablespoon of curd, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon catechu, 1 tablespoon Brahmi, 1 tablespoon dry mint powder and vinegar. Mix all the ingredients well so as to make a thick paste.
- Leave this mixture for about two hours.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and leave for one hour.
- Wash your hair properly using water after that.
Alternatively, You Can Also Use
Henna Paste, Amla, And Coffee Powder
- Mix the three ingredients to make a uniform paste, if required add a little water.
- Apply this paste to your hair and leave for about two hours.
- Wash this paste out using a mild shampoo.
18. Henna, Shikakai, Amla And Soap Nut Remedy
Amla is useful for stimulating hair growth and giving color to the hair. Henna is a natural dye. Use an iron bowl to prepare this remedy as the iron will oxidize the content and give a darker color.
- Mix 1 cup of henna, two tablespoons of Amla, one tablespoon Shikakai, one tablespoon soap nut, one tablespoon lemon juice, two tablespoons of curd, 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil and vinegar as desired.
- Leave the mixture overnight or for about 8-10 hours. Apply this mixture on your hair and let it sit for 2 hours.
- Wash thoroughly using a mild shampoo after 2 hours.
You Can Also Make Amla And Shikakai Hair Wash
Combine 1/4 cups of Indian gooseberry (amla), 1/4 cups of shikakai and half a cup of vinegar. Leave this mixture overnight. Apply this mixture on your hair the next morning and leave for 20 minutes. Wash out the mixture properly and apply Coconut oil after you have washed your hair.
19. Castor Oil
You can also apply castor oil on your scalp as this will help to stimulate the hair growth and will give color to your hair. Just massage your head with castor oil before going to bed and wash with water in the morning. Use this remedy two times a week.
20. Onion Juice
Onion juice helps to prevent premature graying of hair. You can apply onion juice before going to bed and wash it off in the morning with water. Use this remedy every day. It also prevents baldness and hair loss.
21. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is also good for your hair and it will help to nourish your hair.Massage your hair with coconut oil, aloe vera, and wheat germ oil mixture.
This will help to accelerate hair growth, clean the pores and fight dandruff too.It is also used as the best natural hair cleansers.After one hour of its application wash your hair with mild shampoo.
- Drink 1 glass of fresh carrot juice every morning. This will help to prevent gray hair.
- Massage butter on your hair before taking a head bath.
- 15 minutes before taking a shower, apply the mixture of half a cup of curd, black pepper and one spoon of salt.
- You could also apply herbs like rosemary, peach, nettle, and burdock.
Diet And Lifestyle Advice For Grey hair
1. Go for a morning walk, walking is good for health and also good for hair. To prevent the occurrence of white hair, walk barefoot early morning on wet grass.
2.Instead of drinking aerated juice drink fresh juice which is healthy. Drink juice of carrot and wheat sprouts as these will help to reduce white hair. Juice of lettuce and alfalfa is also beneficial for health, so incorporate them into your diet.
3. Deficiency of vitamin B12 can also result in white hair. So to boost vitamin B12 in your body eat food rich in vitamin B12 like fish, egg, milk, green leafy vegetable, etc. You can also consume vitamin B12 supplements.
4. Iodine helps in preventing grey hair. Fish is rich in iodine. Bananas, carrot also contain iodine so increase the consumption of iodine-rich food. You can also use iodized salt in your diet instead of sea salt.
5. If you are addicted to drinking, smoking or chewing tobacco then give up such habits. Consumption of these is bad for health and also for your hair.
6. Avoid taking any excess stress. Do meditation as this will help you to relax. As far as possible try using homemade remedies. Use them regularly for useful results.
7. Oil your hair regularly along with massaging the scalp. Amla or mustard oil could be used for massaging the scalp.
8. Avoid products loaded with chemicals. Clean your hair every time and avoid places filled with pollution. Drink 10-12 glasses of water to flush out the harmful toxins.
So above were some home remedies and some lifestyle changes to avoid the occurrence of white hair.
You cannot expect that these remedies will show results instantly. You should have some patience for this.You need to continue these remedies for quite some time to see improved results.
If you have any better suggestions or any feedback, then please write to us in the comments section below.