You must have faced this problem of itchiness in your eyes. You rushed to your mother when you have got it the first time and ask her why my eyes are getting red. Why is it burning? I am not able to see properly.
This article contains all the home remedies that you can use for the treatment of itchy eyes. Home remedies are the best way to get rid of the itchiness of eyes as it is free from any harmful chemicals.
It is swelling. This is the problem that is faced by everyone as the environment is polluted and this normally occurs due to the pollution in the environment especially when the pollen grains fly in the environment.
Causes Of Itchy Eyes
There are various causes of itchiness in the eyes.
Some of them are:
- Allergies to the pollen grains those are present on the various types of flowers. These pollens grains cause itchiness in the eyes.
- Dryness in the eyes can also lead to itchy eyes.
- Contact lenses and using improper hygiene can also lead to itchy eyes.
- Various bacterial infections also lead to itchy eyes.
- Warm climate also leads to an increase in the itchiness of the eyes.
- Some persons are sensitive to various cosmetic products. Using these cosmetic products also lead to the itchiness in the eyes.
Symptoms Of Itchy Eyes
The symptoms of itchy eyes are:
- Burning sensation in the eyes.
- Continuous itching in the eyes.
- Runny eyes.
- Sensitivity to light.
- Discharge from the eyes.
- Irritated and red eyes.
- Inflamed eyelids.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Itchy Eyes
Various home remedies that you can use to get relief from itchiness of the eyes are:
Aloe vera is a natural plant that is easily available in every home. Aloe vera is known to be very soothing, moisturizing and of healing nature. It is found in a lot of cosmetic and medicinal products.
Aloe vera is a very useful and easily available home remedy. You need to prepare the following mixture with aloe vera to get rid of the itchy eyes.
- Aloe vera leaf
- Honey – 1 Tsp.
- Elderberry blossom tea – ½ cup
Procedure You Need To Follow
- Take a leaf of aloe vera leaf from aloe vera plant. Extract the aloe vera juice from the aloe vera leaf.
- Add 1 tsp. Of honey to this juice. Add ½ cup of elderberry blossom tea to the mixture.
- Rinse your eyes using this mixture with at least two times a day. Repeat this again and again until the itchiness is completely removed from your eyes.
Raw vegetable juices especially carrot juice and spinach juice and their mixture are effective in treating itchy eyes.
- Take the carrots and extract juice from them. Drink this extracted juice two times a day for curing the itchy eyes.
- Take the spinach and extract juice from them. Take this juice at least two times a day. Spinach juice is really helpful for treating itchy eyes.
- You can also try the mixture of both. A mixture of carrot and spinach is also very effective.
Fenugreek seed is a type of herb. It is used in Indian homes for making vegetables. It has various medicinal properties, that’s why it is used in making various medicines and in many medicines, it is used to cover the taste of various medicines.
Fenugreek seeds are also very famous for being a home remedy for various purposes so is the case with the itchy eyes. You need to make a paste from these fenugreek seeds by following the given procedure:
Ingredients That You Need
- Fenugreek seeds
Procedure To Be Followed
- Take fenugreek seeds and soak them in water for about 10 hours. Grind these seeds to make the paste by adding enough water.
- Apply this prepared paste on the eyes. Keep the paste on the eyes for about 5 minutes.Wash your eyes, and you will feel relief. Do this at least two a day and observe the incredible results.
Raw potatoes are also the very effective home remedy for the treatment of itching eyes.
You can use the raw potatoes in the following way:
- Take a raw potato. Cut the thin circular slices of the potato and keep these slices in the refrigerator for some time.Now, keep these slices on your eyes, one on each eye and remain in the same position for about 30 minutes.
- These cool slices of potato will give you relief. Repeat this again and again after every 6 to 7 hours till you get relief from the itchy eyes.
Cold milk is also very effective for the treatment of itchy eyes. You can use cold milk in the following way:
- Take a ball of cotton and dip the cotton ball in the cold milk and clean your eyes with cold milk again and again.
- Or you can also place the cotton ball filled with milk on your eyes for 20 to 25 minutes.
- This cotton ball filled with milk can be used as a cold compress. Repeat this every 7 to 8 hours again and again till you get complete relief from the itchy eyes.
6.Natural Eye Wash
Natural eyewash is very famous for the treatment of itchy eyes. Salt and water are used in this natural eyewash. You need to follow the following procedure:
- Add a teaspoon of salt in a cup of water. Boil the water till the salt completely mixes in the water.
- Now let the water cool down. Then wash the eyes with this salt water.
- Repeat this again and again at least 3 times a day till you get relief from the itchy eyes.
Goldenseal herb is a type of perennial herb. It is used as a medicine for various problems like respiratory problems, digestive problems or for any type of skin inflammation.
Goldenseal herb is also very effective for the treatment for itchy eyes.
You Can Use This In Two Ways As Given
- Take two tablespoons of goldenseal herb powder and mix it in a cup of water.
- Warm this mixture.Now, you can use this warm solution as a warm compress.
- Or you can also use this solution as eye drops. Put 2 to 3 drops of this solution in eyes.Repeat this at least three times a day for better results.
Water is very important for keeping you hydrated. Drink plenty of water every day and try to increase the amount if you are facing the problem of itchy eyes. Take at least 10 to 12 glasses of water to keep your eyes hydrated so that you get relief from itchy eyes as early as possible.
It is a plant whose various parts like roots, stems and leaves are used in making medicines. Witch hazel contains chemicals known as tannins. These tannins are the reason for its various uses. When you apply witch hazel directly then it helps in repairing the broken skin, it fights with bacteria and it also helps in reducing swelling.
Witch hazel is the very good ingredient for the treatment of itchy eyes especially for removing the swelling of itchy eyes.
- You can use cotton balls dipped in witch hazel and can keep these cotton balls on itchy eyes for some time.
- You need to repeat this at least three times a day. You can also use witch hazel as a warm compress for getting relief from the itchy eyes.
Castor oil is extracted from the seeds of the plant known as castor plant. It is famous for a vegetable oil. It possesses antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties due to which it is a lot of famous oil. It is used as an ingredient in various cosmetics, textiles, soaps etc. It is very beneficial for your skin, health, and hairs.
Castor oil is the very good treatment for the itchy eyes. It not only treats the itchy eyes but also provide the soothing effect to the burning eyes when you put this in eyes.
- You need to take castor oil. Fill a dropper with this castor oil and put one drop of castor oil in each of the eyes of yours.
- Repeat this again and again at least 3 times a day.
A cold compress is very effective for the treatment of itchy eyes especially for removing the redness of itchy eyes.
You need to follow the given procedure to use the cold compress for eyes.
- Take a clean cloth. Soak cold water with this cold cloth and keep this cold cloth on the eyes for at least 15 minutes. Repeat this at least 4 times a day for instant relief.
- You can also take ice cubes and wrap them in a cloth and put them on eyes for getting relief from itchy eyes.This should also be repeated 3 to 4 times a day.
Chamomile is a very old herb which has various medicinal properties. Being anti-inflammatory and of calming nature, it has various benefits related to health. It is used as a remedy for various purposes like asthma, fever, nausea and various inflammations.Chamomile flowers are also very effective for the treatment of itchy eyes.
- Boil 1 cup of water. Add chamomile flowers in the boiled water. Keep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution and let it cool. Use this mixture for washing your eyes.
13.Chamomile Tea Bags
Chamomile tea bags are also very effective for the treatment of itchy eyes.
Follow this procedure to get relief from itchy eyes.
- Take chamomile tea bags and chill them in the refrigerator.
- Put these chilled bags on the eyes for at least 20 minutes.
- Repeat this 3 to 4 times a day for instant results.
Cucumber is also a very effective remedy for the treatment of itchy eyes. It reduces irritation of the eyes. It is also helpful removing redness of the eyes.
You can use cucumber in the following way:
- Take a cucumber and wash it properly.Cut the cucumber into thin slices.
- Put these slices in refrigerator for cooling them.Keep these chilled cucumber slices on the itchy eyes.
- Keep them on eyes for 15 to 20 minutes.Repeat this at least 4 times a day for effective results.
Green tea is also very effective for the treatment of itchy eyes. Follow the given procedure to use green tea for the treatment of itchy eyes.
- Take two green tea bags. Put them in a cup of water to make green tea. Now use this solution to wash your eyes.
- This green tea solution is very helpful for the treatment of itchy eyes. Repeat this 3 times a day for better results.
16.Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is prepared from apple and cider. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and antiseptic properties. That’s why it is very helpful for fighting the bacteria of itchy eyes.
Follow this procedure:
- Take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.Mix it in the cup of water.Wash your itchy eyes with this solution.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day. This solution really provides the soothing effect to the eye.
Baking soda is also very effective in fighting with the infection causing bacteria and it also provides the soothing effect to the eyes.
- Take the ½ spoon of baking soda. Mix this much of baking soda in 1 cup of water. Mix them well.
- Wash your eyes with baking soda. Wash, again and again, at least 2 times a day. Observe the incredible results.
- Take 3-4 metal spoons. Chill the metal spoons in chilled water.
- Place the chilled spoons under your eyes. Keep on changing the spoons as they get warm.
- These chilled spoons are very effective in the treatment of the itchy eyes.
Frozen vegetables also provide the soothing effect for the itchy eyes.
- Take the frozen vegetables and wrap them in a cloth.
- Put this cloth on the eyes.
- They will really provide you soothing effect.
20.Warm Milk And Honey
Antibacterial properties of honey are very helpful for the treatment of itchy eyes. You can use this mixture in the following way:
- Take warm milk and honey in equal amount.Mix them well.
- Put 2 to 3 drops of this mixture in the eye for the treatment of itchy eyes.Or you can also use it in the form of the warm compress.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day.
- Rose water is also very helpful for the treatment of itchy eyes.
- Put 2 to 3 drops of rose water which are easily available on the market 2 to 3 times a day.
- Rose water provides a very nice soothing effect to the eyes.
Cold bread is also very helpful for providing the soothing effect to the itchy eyes.
- Just take cold bread and put them on the eyes.
- Keep them on the eyes for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day and observe the results.
If you are facing the itchy eyes then take proper sleep. In this situation, you need to give proper rest to your eyes. And avoid watching television or using a laptop or computer for much of the time.
Need To Visit A Doctor
If you are continuously using home remedies but you are not recovering from the situation then do visit a doctor for the proper medical treatment.
There are some preventive measures that you can take to save yourself from itchy eyes. These preventive measures are:
- Avoid purple and pink eye makeup as this color usually, lead to itchy eyes.
- Save your eyes and keep your eyes covered in the case of a polluted environment.
- Try to save your eyes from pollen grains as much as possible.
If you have faced the problem of itchy eyes, then you must be aware of the irritation that the itchy eyes cause. So, take preventive measures as much as possible. If you have got the infection, then take home remedies properly and as soon as possible.