Crickets are the species that you normally find in your homes, garden, etc. If they are not present in a large number, then they are not much harmful, but their harmful effects increase with an increase in their number. So, you need to get rid of them as early as possible.
By thinking that they are not much harmful in the small amount, don’t let them in your homes as they are harmful to your environment.
So, you must take preventive measures for not letting them enter in your surroundings, and if they have entered, then you must take actions against them as soon as possible. The upcoming article contains all the home remedies to get rid of them.
What Are Crickets?
Crickets are the insects which look like the grasshoppers, but they have shorter legs in comparison with the grasshoppers.
The male member of this species produces a chirping sound which is irritating from which these crickets can be recognized.
They are mainly classified into four categories which are:
- House crickets
- Field crickets
- Mole crickets
- Camel crickets
Ways To Getting Rid Of Crickets
There are three ways in which you can get rid of them.
- You can either catch them from the surroundings and throw them away.
- Or you can kill them wherever you found them.
- Or you can disinfect your surroundings.
Do whatever you want to but get rid of them as soon as possible.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Cricket Instantly
There are various home remedies to get rid of crickets which are:
1. Try Molasses
Molasses are helpful in getting rid of crickets as crickets like molasses a lot.
Procedure To Use Molasses
- Put molasses in a bowl and fill this bowl with water.
- Keep this bowl near crickets’ prone area.
- Crickets will jump into the bowl, and you can change the mixture again and again.
2. Set Traps
Traps can also be used to get rid of them. You can place traps at various points like windows, doors or walls. You can also place the traps in moist areas as moist areas attract crickets’. Crickets’ will be trapped by the traps and you can easily throw them away.
3. Bug Spray
Bug spray can also be used to get rid of them as bug sprays are easily available in the market. You can spray it on the walls or windows and all the places where you see them. Do not use it near children as this spray is poisonous.
4. Remove The Eggs
Remove the eggs as early as possible wherever and whenever you see them.
These Eggs Can Be Killed By Two Ways
- The Vacuum cleaner can be used to clean out the eggs from various portions of carpets or floors etc.
- Various bugs’ spray also kills the eggs, so spray it wherever you see eggs.
- Spray especially at those places where they usually lay eggs like baseboard or leaves.
5. Seal Your Home
The easiest method to get rid of them is not letting them come inside your homes by completely sealing your home.
- Remove all the cracks from the windows and the walls.
- Your vents must have screens.
6. Keep Trash Covered
The Smell of trash attracts the crickets a lot so you must keep your dustbins and other containers containing trash covered wherever you place them.
7. Cut Back Vegetation
Crickets usually form their nests on tall grasses and other vegetation, so, you must trim them regularly and should mow your garden from time to time. You must keep wood piles, compost piles, and mulch piles away from your surroundings. They attract the crickets.
8. Remove Bright Lights
Don’t use bright lights anywhere as crickets are attracted towards bright lights. So, if you bright light lamps for homes or garden, then these crickets will be attracted towards you. So, avoid the bright lights.
9. Allow Natural Predators To Thrive
Cats, birds, and lizards are natural predators of these crickets, and if you allow them to stay in your house then definitely they will not allow crickets to live in your homes.
But do not spray insecticides in your homes as insecticides are harmful to these predators, and you need these predators.
10. Diatomaceous Earth
Diatomaceous earth is rich in silica. It dehydrates the crickets and kills them whenever they come in contact with this powder.
Sprinkle this powder wherever you see them or the areas where they are usually seen. But do not let this powder get wet as if this earth comes in contact with water then it is of no use.
11. Vapour Barrier
Crickets love moisture or damp area. They flourish there wherever some water extent is greater. So, install a vapor barrier that will reduce the water content and will not make the conditions suitable for crickets.
12. Keep Your Environment Clean
A dirty environment is the most suitable condition for crickets to grow. So, keep your environment and surroundings tidy and clean. Keep the leaf litters, waste materials away from the living environment.
13. Soap Water
Prepare a solution of soap mixed in water. Crickets repel this soap water. So, pour this water into the spray bottle and spray it on walls, windows, and other crickets prone areas.
14. Homemade Spray
Prepare a spray from red chili and water. You can use red chili powder or red chili sauce and mix it in 2 cups of water. Strain the mixture.
Add two more cups of water to dilute it. Pour it in a spray bottle and spray it over crickets or the windows and walls. This spray will kill the crickets.
15. Nitrogen Fixing Plants
Plant nitrogen-fixing plants like garlic, clover, sweet peas. These plants irritate crickets. So, they will automatically visit your place.
16. Commercial Borax Method
- Take 2 cups cornmeal in a mixing bowl and add two teaspoons of borax to it.
- Mix them well.
- Place the liquid at the places where you think these crickets are present and see the result.
- Crickets will be attracted to this solution and will jump into the solution and die.
- Replace the solution from time to time.
17. Beer And Borax Method
- Take one teaspoon of beer and one teaspoon of borax.
- Mix them well.
- Place the bowl containing this mixture at crickets prone area.
- Crickets will die as soon as they come in contact with this solution.
How To Recognise That The Insects That Have Entered In Your House Are Crickets?
It is very easy to recognize the crickets by their following features.
- They look like grasshoppers, but they have shorter legs in comparison with grasshoppers.
- They produce a chirping sound which is very irritating and is the most basic way of recognizing them.
Why Crickets Enter Your House, Garden, Or Field?
There are many reasons due to which these crickets come and settle in your surroundings.
- As these crickets like cold and dark places and these places can be easily found in your homes.
- Crickets love the damp environment.
- The Presence of garbage dumps near the house, garden or field also attracts these crickets.
- The Presence of wild bushes also encourages crickets to stay near them.
- The Dirty environment is also one of the attractions of crickets.
Why Do You Need To Get Rid Of Them Asap?
They grow in cool and dark places. Once they enter your houses, they will destroy almost everything in your house.
Obviously, you want to save all your things mentioned above. So, you need to get rid of them as early as possible.
Things You Need To Remember When You Are Trying To Get Rid Of Them
- Cut down all the grasses or bushes if any that are attracting crickets.
- Keep wooden, mulch, and composed tiles away from crickets prone area.
- Keep the surroundings neat and clean.
- You can use a bird feeder like your cat to sit near crickets’ prone area.
Things You Need To Avoid While Taking Measures To Get Rid Of Them
- Do not let water be collected
- Do not throw dirt here and there.
Prevention Is Always Better Than Cure
There are many preventive measures that you can take that will not let these crickets to even enter your surroundings, and these measures are obviously better than the remedies that you will take when they start destroying your surroundings.
These Preventive Measures Are
- Tidy and clean surroundings.
- No collection of water anywhere.
- No collection of dirt.
- Keep pet animals in your homes.
- Regularly mow your garden.
These are the various home remedies that you can take to get rid of crickets. Home remedies are best as these remedies will give the least harm to these crickets and your surroundings.
Some of these remedies are expensive, but they are worth each rupee. So, try these home remedies whenever you feel the need and protect your surroundings and stuff to get destroyed by these crickets.
You May Also Like Reading: