Eczema is a chronic skin condition which is characterized by dry skin, red patches, and itchiness. These patches might ooze out, become scaly and hardened.You can use home remedies to get rid of eczema without any side effects.
This irritating disease is known as Eczema and is commonly known as Dermatitis. Many of you are not aware of this disease, and that is why it doesn’t get detected easily. Let us see in short what eczema is.
- What is Eczema?
- Symptoms of Eczema:
- Types of Eczema:
- Causes of Eczema:
- General Treatment of Eczema:
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Eczema Fast:
- 1.Normal Prevention:
- 2.Aloe Vera Juice:
- 3.Coconut Oil:
- 4.Warm Baths:
- 5.Vitamin E:
- 7.Epsom Salt Bath:
- 8.Olive Oil:
- 11.Apple Cider Vinegar:
- 12.Neem And Turmeric:
- 13.Fish Oil:
- 14.Jojoba Oil:
- 15.Oil Butter:
- 17.Cornstarch Paste:
- 18.Diet Remedies:
- 19.Gentian Root:
- 20.Horsetail Plant:
- 21.Use Flowers:
- 23.Juniper Berry:
- 24.Homemade Calamine Lotion:
- 25.Healing Salve:
What is Eczema?
You must have seen some people itching their hands and bodies and getting frustrated with it. Most of the time they have really bad patches which seem like they have been bleeding recently or sometimes it looks as if they are oozing out some white fluid.
Its symptoms may range from mild to severe and may have a negative on the psychology of the person.It can be found anywhere on the skin. There is no specificity of the patches.
Symptoms of Eczema:
There are various symptoms of eczema, as follows:
- Unstoppable itching of the skin.
- Red patches like that of rash.
- Oozy when scratched.
- Dry and sensitive skin.
- Numerous inflammations.
- Scaly areas.
Types of Eczema:
There are various types of eczema. Some of them are enlisted as follows:
Dermatitis linked with asthma and hay fever.
2.Allergic Contact Dermatitis:
It is body’s immune system reaction to a normal substance.
3.Irritant Contact Dermatitis:
It is caused when a body is in contact with substances like detergent, soaps, etc. every day.
4.Adult Seborrhea Eczema:
Happens to people between 20-40 years of age and is found on the scalp in the form of dandruff.
5.Infantile Seborrhea Eczema:
It is found in babies with one or fewer years old.
It affects the lower body due to poor circulation of blood.
Coin-shaped areas or red skin found in adults generally in the lower body areas.
There are various complications which can take place if eczema is left untreated like skin infections, eczema heretical, neurodermatitis, and eye complications.
Causes of Eczema:
The cause of eczema is not known and is called as an idiopathic disease. But it is estimated that eczema is usually an overactive response of our body’s immune system.
Sometimes it can also be due to constant use of some reactant substance and it can also be a flare up of any existing allergies. It is commonly seen in patients having asthma.
It can also be due to defects in skin barrier which is responsible for passage and blockage of moisture and pathogens respectively.
It can also be activated by upper respiratory tract infection and cold and can worsen due to stress.
This is a non-communicable disease.
General Treatment of Eczema:
The main treatment of eczema is focused on reducing the itchiness and red patches from the skin and further protecting it the from skin infection.
As the skin becomes dry doctors prescribe lotions and creams to keep the moisture intact and cold compress to reduce itching.
Drug therapy includes drugs like antihistamines and immune-modulators.
Usage of allopathic drugs will help reduce the problems, but it might trigger some really bad side effects. And that is why we bring to your some very natural home remedies for you to cope up with the disease in a pleasant and inexpensive way.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Eczema Fast:
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting, rough, or scratch triggering clothing.
- Avoid itching the rash. If you can’t stop yourself from scratching, cover the area with Wear gloves at night to decrease skin damage from scratching.
- Anything that causes sweating can irritate the rash. Avoid strenuous exercise during a flare.
2.Aloe Vera Juice:
The juice that you extract from the Aloe Vera leaves has been used for centuries to treat burns, wounds, and other skin diseases. It has soothing and healing properties that will also help you in getting rid of eczema problems.
Aloe Vera will not only help in reducing itchiness, but it will also work as a moisturizer for your dry and scaly skin.
- It is always recommended to use fresh Aloe Vera juice that is extracted from the leaf of the plant.
- Apply this gel-to-fluid on the affected area and let it settle on the skin for a few minutes.
- If you apply it on a daily basis, you will get good relief from the burning and itching skin in less than two minutes.
The best coconut oil is cold compressed coconut oil available at various organic stores.Or you can make compress out coconut oil by yourself because it is always better to use fresh oil and not the marketed oils.
- Take handful amount of cold pressed coconut oil and apply it evenly on the inflamed skin and also in the dry areas of your skin.
- Let it stay on your skin undisturbed for about 10 to 15 minutes so that the oil is well absorbed.
- Repeat this process daily two to three times a day till you feel a complete reduction in skin irritation and itching.
How much you love cold shower doesn’t matter anymore. If you have this disease, it is very much recommended for you to take hot showers only as cold shower dries up your skin and is not much of help to an already dried skin.
You can add some of the below ingredients along with your showers to decrease the discomfort and itchiness.
- You can add a tablespoon of baking soda to the hot water which will help in reducing the itchiness of the skin.
- Oatmeal can also be added to the warm water that you use for bathing which will help to soothe your dry skin.
Vitamin E is rich in tocopherols which help to reduce the symptoms of eczema and renders you relief.You can use the oil present in Vitamin E capsules by squeezing or breaking them into halves.
- On your eczema scar, put on a thick application of Vitamin E oil and leave it for around 15 minutes.
- It will react with the skin and help in reducing itchiness and redness.
- Apply every day for three times a day for better results.
Natural honey is widely used for treating various skin problems. It is a soothing agent and will provide relief to the eczema patients by reducing the skin irritations.
It is not recommended to use the marketed honey.
- Wash the sore area carefully with water and pat dry.
- Apply honey carefully and evenly on the area and leave there undisturbed for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off and let it dry naturally.
- Repeat 3 to 4 times a week for good results.
7.Epsom Salt Bath:
Epsom salt is a widely used skin detoxifying agent. It heals the skin and allows it to repair quickly.Adding it yo your warm bath will help you bask in the salts giving the essential benefits to your skin.
- Add one teaspoon of Epsom Salt and one spoon of coconut oil in warm water.
- Take a long warm bath with this mixture of salt and oil to heal faster.
Olive oil is an anti-inflammatory agent and is very helpful for skin diseases like eczema to cure the swelled up red skin patches which are prone to bleeding and infections.
- Apply the handful of olive oil on the affected portion of your skin and allow it to settle down for 5 minutes.
- Gently massage on the area for better absorption.
- Soak a clean towel in warm water and keep it in that area till it cools down.
- Remove the excess oil with lukewarm water or cotton.
- Repeat every day to see the reduction in swelling in a week.
It is naturally soothing and relaxing ingredient used in various massage techniques in salons.It has the cooling effect and hence will reduce skin irritations in eczema. Remember to use only freshly cut cucumbers.
- Cut a round piece of cucumber peeled or unpeeled and let the fleshy part lies on the affected area.
- Let it stay for 1-2 hours.
- Repeat it daily for good results.
- You can also use freshly extracted cucumber juice and apply it with cotton on the affected part.
A very popular natural skin remedy is chamomile. It helps by reducing skin irritation, inflammation, and itchiness.
- You can mix chamomile oil with your daily bath water to let it soak in naturally.
- You can directly apply chamomile oil on the affected part and massage it gently for 10 minutes.
- You can prepare chamomile tea by steeping dried chamomile flowers in hot water for 20 minutes.
- You can apply it with the help of a cotton roll on the affected part of your skin and let it dry naturally.
- Repeat any one of the procedures daily till you see a significant decrease in your disease.
11.Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is an antibacterial and antifungal agent. It will help to soothe the skin and reduce irritation.
- Mix one spoon of apple cider vinegar with one spoon of water and apply it evenly to the affected areas of your skin.
- Let this mixture remain on your skin for 30 minutes and then pat it dry.
- Repeat it for two to three times a day for a week to achieve good results.
12.Neem And Turmeric:
Neem or The Indian Lilac leaves are very effective in reducing skin irritations, inflammation, and skin redness. It is considered to be the best natural home remedy to treat eczema.Turmeric has anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant properties that will help in soothing the skin and reducing irritations.
The combination of both becomes a catalyst in treating eczema.
- Grind the neem leaves and extract juice out of the leaves. Then mix this juice with one tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to the above mixture.
- Put on this solution on the affected areas of the skin and leave it to settle on the skin for 30 to 45 minutes at least.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat the area dry.
- Repeat it twice a day for a week to reduce skin itching and irritation.
Fish oil supplement contains omega three fatty acids that are very useful for the treatment of eczema.It will help with healing inflammation of the skin and also help to reduce skin irritation.
- You have to take one or two fish oil supplements every day after lunch and dinner to reduce eczema skin problems.
- You can include foods like salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, and likewise fishes, in your diet to see quick results.
It is a type of liquid wax which is very rich and thick and penetrates deep into your skin.It will keep your skin moisturised for a long time and effectively treat the dryness and flakiness that people suffer from during eczema.
- Gently massage little amount of jojoba oil on the affected areas for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this for almost a week and three times a day.
If you have very severe symptoms, you can mix coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, beeswax, Shea butter, and lavender oil and prepare a fine paste to apply on the patches.
- Mix all the above ingredients in a pan over very low heat.
- When it has a smooth and even texture, remove it from the pan and shift to a clean container.
- Allow it to cool or you can keep it in the fridge.
- Apply evenly on the affected areas daily once or twice a day.
Glycerin is a viscous liquid used to trap in moisture. You can use it as a substitute for all the oil mentioned above.
- Prepare a 1:1 ratio mixture of glycerin and water.
- Spread it on the dry skin areas.
- Leave it there till fully absorbed.
- Do it every day after bathing.
This is also a moisture locking ingredient which is essential for eczema patients.
- Make a fine paste of cornstarch powder and olive oil using a mortar pestle.
- Apply it evenly on the affected skin portions and let it stay for 20 minutes approximately.
- Clean with lukewarm water.
- Do it every day.
Skin problems like eczema can be a direct message from your stomach that you are not eating the proper diet. Hence, it is time for you to do some rectifications.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- Avoid oily foods as they contain saturated fats which are not at all healthy.
- Include more of green vegetables.
- Eat a lot of probiotics like curds, yogurt, kefir, etc.
- Eat fruits.
- Stay hydrated, so drink a lot of water.
- It is recommended to prepare a diet chart from your nearby dietician.
- Take ten drops of gentian tincture before each meal, as it helps the digestive system to eliminate toxins that can irritate the skin.
- Take as often as needed.
- Place 50 grams of grounded horsetail plant or herbs in a liter of water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool, and then strain the liquid into the water you will bath in for a 10-minute
- Make a tea of calendula, a marigold flower, with five drops of lavender essential oil.
- Put it on to the affected area twice a day until the irritation is reduced.
- Peel three carrots and boil them till they’re soft.
- Mash until you get a smooth paste.
- Put it on to affected areas for 15 minutes.
- Wash with cool water when finished.
- Mix a tablespoon of powdered juniper berry, with a tablespoon of sage and a tablespoon of thyme into a bowl of boiling water.
- Cover and let it steep for five minutes.
- Drink the whole cup after your main meals like lunch or dinner.
24.Homemade Calamine Lotion:
Calamine lotion is a great healer for the skin as it has various properties which reduce itching, keeps skin moisturized, and also removes the patches.
- Four teaspoons of Bentonite clay.
- Four teaspoons of Baking soda.
- 1 or half teaspoon of Sea Salt.
- A mixture of Essential oils. (lavender oil, chamomile oil, ) as per requirement.
- Half a teaspoon of Glycerin.
- A 2-3 spoon of Pink kaolin clay (optional).
- A quarter cup of fresh distilled water.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Constantly add water and keep whisking it.
- Do it till you hear the clicking sound.
- Then add the essential oils and glycerin.
- As soon as the clicking sound stops, your calamine lotion is ready.
- Spread evenly the affected areas of your skin and massage gently for better absorption.
- Keep it in a fridge and you can use it for up to one week.
This is a very helpful home remedy for treating skin irritations and especially it is used for kids having eczema.
- 2 cups of olive oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax pastilles
- One teaspoon of Echinacea root (optional)
- 2 Tablespoon of dried comfrey leaf
- 2 Tablespoon of dried plantain leaf (herb-not banana!)
- 1 Tablespoon of dried calendula flowers (optional)
- One teaspoon dried yarrow flowers (optional)
- One teaspoon dried rosemary leaf (optional)
- Prepare a mélange of the herbs mentioned above by stirring them on a low heat for 3 hours or keep them in an airtight container for one week with the excess of olive oil.
- Strain them through a muslin cloth.
- Heat the obtained solution with beeswax till you get an even mixture.
- Store it in a clean container.
- Apply with cotton on the affected part and let it stay for 15 minutes.
- You can massage it if you want.
- Wash with lukewarm water and pat dry with clean cotton.
These home remedies are easy to use and are very effective to give you a clean cheat from the disease of eczema.
Always visit a doctor if you see any reactions on taking the above remedies and do not forget that we are here for everything that you need.
Also do not forget that prevention is better than cure!