Many people face the problem of their fingertips peeling off. There is nothing to panic about. This problem is common and can be taken care with the help of a few home remedies and follow some precautions. This article gives you all the information you need to get rid of peeling fingertips.
What Is Fingertip Peeling?
As the name suggests, fingertips peeling is when the upper covering or the upper layer of your skin starts to come off. In simple words, it is when the fingertips start to lose their upper skin. There can be other problems that may occur alongside with peeling fingertips like rashes, pain, itching and dryness.
Causes Of Fingertips Peeling
Fingertips peeling can be because of common reasons like a simple reaction from harsh environment conditions or it can be a symptom of some other disease developing inside the body.
Common causes for fingertips peeling include:
- Reaction from harsh environmental conditions or prolonged exposure to environmental elements like sun, wind, dryness or humidity.
- A common reason for this is sunburn. A lot of exposure to the sun can damage the upper skin and in order for the new skin to appear the upper skin starts to peel off.
- Frequent washing of hands or washing utensils and clothes with prolonged exposure to washing powders or soaps can also be one of the reasons. Washing hands with harsh soaps can make the skin dry and this dry skin will tend to peel off easily.
- There is also a skin disorder called as eczema during which the upper layer of the skin becomes prone to peeling. The sensitive areas like the fingertips are more vulnerable to such a condition.
- Certain kind of allergies and fungal infections can also result in peeling fingertips.
- Another skin disorder called as psoriasis triggers the frequent renewal of skin causing the old skin to peel off.
- When one is suffering from immune system disorder or from an autoimmune or an inflammatory disease the chances of fingertips peeling become high.
- When the body suffers from the deficiency of vitamins namely Niacin or Vitamin B3 and Biotin or Vitamin B-7 or from an overdose of Vitamin A there can be peeling of fingertips. It is advised to keep your diet well balanced so that the body has a healthy amount of vitamin and mineral balance.
- Using certain acne or wrinkle creams or gels can result in skin peeling off from the fingertips as a side effect.
- Extreme cold climatic conditions can also be a reason for peeling fingertips as the cold climate robs the body of its moisture, leaving it dry. As a result dryness in the skin causes it to peel off.
- Dry skin can also occur as a side effect when one is under medication and this can lead to scaly or peeling fingertips.
- Peeling fingertips are common among babies or toddlers if they have a habit of sucking their fingers. Their skin is already delicate and if a child has a habit of sucking fingertips then the skin starts to peel off. This is generally not accompanied by pain or discomfort.
- Another reason which affects more than 40% of Americans called Keratosis can be a reason behind peeling fingertips. Under this condition, the skin becomes itchy especially during cold weather resulting in peeling of the skin.
Symptoms Of Fingertips Peeling
Various symptoms of fingertips peeling include:
- Dryness in the skin
- Sensitive and irritated skin
- The skin becomes reddish in the appearance
Home Remedies To Cure Fingertips Peeling Instantly
A fingertip peeling is a common and does need medical help if the condition becomes tamed with the aid of a few easy to do home remedies.
1. Use Warm Water
Soaking hands in warm water is a great way to moisturize your hands. Soaking hands in warm water for 10 minutes every day and even better if you add a little bit of lemon juice and honey to it does wonders for your peeling skin.
By doing this, the skin around the fingertips absorbs the water and the dry skin starts to fall off. After doing this procedure pat dry your hands and apply some moisturizer so that the moisture in your hands remains locked or you can also use some olive oil instead of a moisturizer.
Cucumber has anti inflammatory and healing properties which will help cure your peeling skin. Applying cucumber to the affected area will bring back the moisture to the skin. For this you need to cut a cucumber into slices and rub it over your skin gently.
In this way, the skin will absorb the cucumber juice and the goodness of the cucumber juice will be absorbed into your skin. You can also grate a cucumber, apply it over the affected area and wash with lukewarm water after 30 minutes.
3. Use Of Oats
Using oats as a remedy is also useful. For this you need to add oats to a bowl of warm water and soak your hands in it for 10 to 15 minutes. By doing this the dead skin cells will be removed and afterward you can pat the skin dry and finish by applying a good moisturizer.
Besides providing the body with calcium, milk also acts as a great moisturizer. Consuming warm milk with honey or nuts not only helps one have a good night sleep but it also treats dry skin.
Another way possible is to soak your fingers in warm milk for 10 minutes and then wash it off with water and finish off by applying a good moisturizer. Or you can gently massage your skin with a homemade milk pack.
For this you need to add one tablespoon of honey to two tablespoons of milk and rub it on the affected area. This will help in moisturizing the skin.
5. Using Aloe Vera
As we already know aloe Vera works like a miracle and benefits the skin in various ways. But besides this it also cures all kinds of skin disorders.
Applying pure aloe Vera gel to the affected area with give the skin a cooling effect and help moisturize the skin and reduce itching or irritation if any. The use of aloe Vera will remove dryness and will soothe the skin.
6. Use Of Banana
You can use banana to treat dry and flaky skin. This fruit is useful as it contains essential salts, vitamins and potassium content which are beneficial for the skin.
Banana can help cure peeling fingertips if consumed on a daily basis. It can also be mixed with sour cream and applied to the affected area for better results.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is an essential for your skin and hair routines. It has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties which guard against infections. If used on the affected area the oil will remove dryness and keep the skin healthy and soft.
It will remove flaky and itching sensation from the skin. Gently rub coconut oil on the peeling fingertips when needed or simply apply and leave overnight for better results.
8. Olive Oil
Olive oil is extremely beneficial for your skin as it contains omega 3 and other important fatty acids which will cure dryness and help moisturize the skin.
For peeling fingertips you can massage your hands with olive oil or can simply use water and olive oil mixture to wash hands. Also you can soak your hands in warm olive oil for 10 minutes. This will greatly impact your peeling fingertips.
9. Mint Juice
Mint juice has many excellent properties which makes it the best natural moisturizer. It helps in the treatment of many skin disorders like eczema and also works for peeling fingertips.
You should apply mint juice over the affected area, leave it overnight and wash the next day with lukewarm water.
10. Using Honey
Honey is a natural antibacterial and has moisturizing properties that will soothe and supply the dry skin its needed moisture.
You can either rub some honey on the peeling skin, leave it for 10-20 minutes before washing it with lukewarm water or you can make a honey and olive oil paste and apply on the peeling skin daily.
You can also make a honey, rose water and sandalwood powder pack and apply to the peeling fingertips and wash it off after 20 minutes with warm water.
For this you need a fresh pineapple. Peel its upper layer, cut the pineapple into pieces and squeeze out its juice. Apply the juice on the affected area, gently massage it and allow the juice to dry the skin. Rinse it off after 15 minutes.
12. Grapes And Grapeseed Oil
Pineapples and grapes are useful in the treatment of fingertips peeling as they contain AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) which remove the dead skin cells.
Mash grapes and apply the juice to the fingertips and rinse after 15-20 minutes. Grapeseed oil is also an alternative and it is good for hair growth. It is easily available in the market and will heal dry and peeling skin instantly.
13. Vitamin E
Vitamin is essential for the skin. Hence nowadays we see a lot of lotions in the market flaunting their Vitamin E value. You can use vitamin E in the form of lotion, oil or capsule.
Massage vitamin E oil or lotion on the dry skin or cut open a vitamin E capsule and apply the liquid on the affected part. Vitamin E helps the skin to get rid of dryness.
Not only is apple cider vinegar a good home remedy for healthy and shiny hair but it also is effective in treating cracked and peeled skin. Take vinegar and apply it over the affected area and leave it overnight. Wash it the next morning.
15. Almond Oil
Just like coconut oil and olive oil, almond oil too can be brought into action. It will provide the dry skin with the essential oils and help to get rid of peeling skin. Alternatively you can make a paste of almond leaves and apply on the affected area.
16. Castor Oil
You can make use of castor oil as well. Rub castor oil over the dry peeling skin. Castor oil is helpful as it help the skin to retain its lost moisture and repair it.
17. Sesame Oil
Like all the oils listed above, sesame oil also aids to cure dryness and helps to provide the skin moisture. Massage the area with sesame oil regularly for good results.
Eating an apple a day not only keeps the diseases away but also softens the skin and makes it healthy. For a healthy skin eat an apple daily basis and for quick results for fingertips peeling, apply a grated apple on the affected area.
19. Baking Soda
Every once in a while you should have a baking soda dip. Baking soda is great as it not only helps the body to get rid of harmful bacteria and infections but also maintains the hygiene of your intimate areas.
Add two cups of baking soda in a bath tub of warm water and soak yourself in it for 15-20 minutes. Baking soda will help you get rid of irritation and redness of skin as well.
Applying curd can clear the skin and give you a glowing complexion. Also if applied to peeling and dry skin, the curd will moisturise and repair it.
Papaya is very rich antioxidants and helps exfoliates the dry skin. Mash a papaya and apply it over the dry skin. Including papaya in your diet will greatly benefit the skin y giving it a glowing and healthy appearance.
22. Homemade Pastes
You can also prepare some pastes at home by making use of commonly available ingredients. For example:
- Sandalwood, turmeric, honey and olive oil paste: To make this paste add a teaspoon of sandalwood powder, honey and turmeric powder and olive oil to make a thin solution. Mix it well and apply the paste over the affected area. Wash it after 30 minutes.
- Olive oil, lemon juice, rose water and egg yolk paste: All you need for this paste is to add a teaspoon of olive oil, lemon juice, rose water to egg yolk. Mix the solution well and apply over the dry peeling skin.
23. Chamomile Or Black Tea
Chamomile tea and black tea will greatly benefit as it has tannins which remove inflammation and prevent skin damage. Make a cup of chamomile or black tea and let it cool down. Strain it and apply over the peeling skin.
Precautions To Take For Avoiding Fingertips Peeling
- You should stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. Peeling fingertips can be a sign of lack of fluids in the body. To sweep toxins from the body and keep the skin hydrated and moisturised you should drink at least 8-9 glasses of water daily.
- Keep your hands moisturised. Dryness is the main cause of peeling fingertips and you can avoid this if you religiously moisturise your hand with a good lotion after every wash.
- When you are about to do laundry or the dishes be careful and use gloves to avoid the harsh washing soaps from doing harm to your hands.
- Have a well-balanced diet. Dry and rough skin start to surface when there is a deficiency of Vitamin A, C and E in your diet. Consume lean meat and plenty of fruits and vegetables to provide the body with its required vitamins and nutrients.
The problem of fingertips peeling is not major if you take necessary precautions and bring home remedies to the rescue. But if you notice no improvement in your skin even after a week or if yourY condition starts to become worse then you should take help from your doctor.
You May Also Like Reading: