Discover how can you get rid of ulcerative colitis by using the below mentioned effective home remedies.
There was a party yesterday, and you ate a lot of spicy food. The next day when you got up, you felt a burn in your stomach and some bumps inside your mouth.
You take an antacid and carry out for the rest of the day keeping the early morning symptoms at the back of your mind.
The bumps in your mouth are nothing but ulcers. In today’s unhealthy lifestyle, ulcers are becoming quite a common problem, especially in the youth. They tend to keep their stomach empty in the morning and eat a heavy lunch.
And then they feel that the lunch they ate will make them survive the day. NO, it is a big myth. The constant empty stomach is a big reason to develop ulcers.
Many of you are not aware of ulcers. Let’s see below.
- What are Ulcers?
- Types of Ulcers:
- What is Ulcerative Colitis?
- Causes of Ulcerative Colitis:
- Signs and Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis:
- Complications of Ulcerative Colitis:
- How to Diagnose?
- General Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis:
- Home Remedies To Get Rid of Ulcerative Colitis:
- Recipes for a Healthy Diet:
What are Ulcers?
Ulcers are an open wound area in the external or internal areas of the body caused by a break in the mucous membrane or skin, which has ceased to heal. Ulcers are quite painful as whenever they come in contact with something even as simple as water.
They produce the sensation of burning. There are various types of ulcers found in the human body.
Types of Ulcers:
These form in the mouth, beside tongue or on the tongue region.
These develop inside stomach.
These develop on the wall of the oesophagus.
They form the upper part of the small intestine which is known as the duodenum.These are most commonly known as peptic ulcers and are seen in almost all cases of ulcers.
There are other ulcers which are coming out nowadays are Bleeding ulcers, Stress ulcers and also colonic ulcers.
Ulcers can be acute (lasting for a short period) or chronic (longer period).
A more chronic form of ulcer is Ulcerative Colitis.
What is Ulcerative Colitis?
This is a disease which is classified under Inflammatory Bowel Disease. It is an idiopathic (cause not known) form of acute or chronic inflammation and ulceration of rectum and descending colon.
It begins in the rectum and then spreads proximally. In about 50% cases the entire rectum is affected and very rarely terminal ileum is involved known as backwash ileitis. This can occur at any age grouped person but usually affects the person in 2nd or 3rd decade of life.
The exact cause of this disease is not known, but the overactive immune response, nutritional status, and psychological factors have been postulated.
Causes of Ulcerative Colitis:
The cause of ulcerative colitis is not known as it is an idiopathic form of a disease. But some experiments have given us an established result about what the possible causes can be:
- Abnormal immune response to the good gut bacteria of our body.
- A bacterial infection which might have increased.
- Excessive unplanned diet.
Signs and Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis:
The clinical features are largely determined by the severity of the inflammation, colonic involvement and duration of the disease.
- Violent diarrhoea.
- Loose bloody stools.
- Abdominal cramps.
- High fever.
- Painful rectal spasm and urgent need to defecate.
- Weight loss.
- Exacerbation and remission.
Complications of Ulcerative Colitis:
In this disease, following two categories of complications are reported. They are:
- Colon cancer.
- Stricture formation with partial obstruction.
- Toxic megacolon also is known as fulminant colitis.
- Retarded growth.
- Joint pain.
- Conjunctivitis, iritis, choroiditis.
- Blue-red skin sores.
How to Diagnose?
There are many ways you can diagnose this disease:
- Physical examination.
- Blood test.
- Stool examination.
- Biopsy study.
General Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis:
An allopathy treatment is the most common approach seen in most people today.
There are certain drugs used by doctors like Loperamide, which is an antidiarrheal drug, Prednisolone Phosphate which is an oral corticosteroid and Sulfasalazine to reduce inflammation.
Surgery is also required in many severe and complicated cases.
Often these drugs might lead to another disease. What if the severity of this disease can be controlled at home by using just a few home ingredients? Let us find out.
Home Remedies To Get Rid of Ulcerative Colitis:
Home remedies using natural herbs can be used to reduce ulcerative colitis. There is no guarantee that it will cure 100%, but it will help reduce the symptoms and will provide you relief to the greatest effort.
The dietary modification includes the elimination of such food which you are allergic to and betterment of living conditions.
- Some eliminated dairy products and high levels of carbohydrates from the Many people find problems such as diarrhoea, abdominal pain, and gas, improve by limiting or eliminating dairy products. You may be lactose intolerant, i.e.; your body can’t digest the milk sugar (lactose) in dairy foods.
- A low-fat diet is very efficient in delaying the recurrence of ulcerative colitis. Olive oil, medium-chain triglycerides, omega-3 fatty acids, and fermentable fibre might have a protective effect. Avoid butter, creams, and deep fried foods.
- Eating small meals may help you feel better. Eat five or six small meals a day rather than two or three large ones.
- Drink plenty of liquids daily and by field means water because it is simply the best. Alcohol and beverages that contain caffeine have a stimulating effect your intestines and can make diarrhoea worse while carbonated drinks frequently produce gas, and they also contain sugar which is not good for your health at the present situation.
- Multivitamins and mineral supplements are often helpful as diarrhoea often dehydrates your body and starves you of many essential nutrients. But surely check with your doctor before taking any vitamins or supplements.
- Talk to a dietitian always if you begin to lose weight or your diet has become very limited.
- High fibre intake may be helpful in some patients as it improves bowel regularity and may help in removal of toxins and chemicals from the body.
- High vitamin C intake has a defensive effect. Vitamin C–rich foods are associated with a longer abating phase (these include berries, spinach, pepper, and parsley).
- Similarly, eliminating alcohol, meat, processed foods, and high-carbohydrate food may decrease the frequency and severity of flares.
- Folic acid supplements should be taken as people with colitis often develop the risk of getting colon cancer.
- Acupuncture is also useful.
2.Foods to be Avoided:
Various food items might add up to the uneasiness you are already feeling due to the disease. Hence, it is best to avoid them.
Some of them are:
- Carbonated drinks like cold drinks or sodas.
- dairy products, like milk or curd if you’re lactose intolerant
- dried beans, peas, and legumes
- dried fruits
- foods that contain sulphur or sulphate
- foods high in fibre
- nuts, crunchy nut butter
- Products that have sorbitol like sugar-free gum and candies.
- raw fruits and vegetables
- refined sugar
- spicy foods
Exercising regularly would increase bowel movement and help in decreasing severity. It would help reduce stress and depression. But consult a doctor as to which exercise will be right for you.
Breathing exercises and yoga also helps.
- Psyllium seed/husk enhances gut motility, alleviate the symptoms of constipation, and improve the elimination of waste. It is available in the market as famous Isabgol.
- You can also prepare a solution by allowing Isapegol seeds to stay in water overnight.
- Boswellia is a naturally occurring herb obtained from the resin part of tree bark. The mode of action of Boswellia is to manage ulcerative colitis and inhibit certain chemical reactions that produce an inflammatory response.
- It is desirable to take 400 milligrammes of Boswellia tree extract to cure colitis, and it is also very safe for a long term use.
- Bromelain is a proteolytic enzyme found in fruits like pineapple, papaya, kiwi, etc. It helps to reduce the symptoms and also reduces flares.
- Fresh pineapple juice is a very good source of bromelain. You can slice two pineapples and put in a mixture and blend it. Extract the juice and drink.
- It may be noted that a lot of pineapples can give you heartburn so you can also drink mixtures of juices of papaya and pineapple to get plenty of bromelain and less of side effects!
- Probiotics are healthy gut bacteria which restore and maintain a natural microbial flora in the gut. This may be helpful in reducing harmful inflammatory responses and maintain remission.
- Yoghurt, kimchee, fermented cabbage, pickles, sourdough bread, tempeh are some examples of natural food containing probiotics. Including these in your diet would provide you with plenty of the good gut bacteria.
- Turmeric, the spice used in a kitchen, may help patients with ulcerative colitis. The curcumin found in turmeric aims to improve the effectiveness of traditional medical therapy.
- A raw turmeric should be peeled and eaten every day in the morning with jaggery to treat colitis effectively.
- Chamomile tea is best known for its calming properties. It reduces muscle spasms and also any inflammation in your bowel.
- Prepare tea by mixing 3 gm. of tea powder in 1 cup of water and let it soak for 10 minutes. Drink this tea three times a day. Always prepare it freshly.
- Aloe vera is used in a treatment of various diseases as it has anti-inflammatory, antiviral and anti-bacterial properties. Therefore, it is very much useful for reducing the symptoms of colitis. How to prepare? Let us see below.
- Extract the aloe vera or you can use prepared aloe vera gel from a market. Mix 2 tablespoon of this gel with one cup lukewarm water and drink it twice a day.
- Ginger is a popular anti-inflammatory drug and is useful for the treatment of colitis.
- You can chew ginger pieces throughout the day, or you can juice it up with the help of a mixture and blender and drink it with tea. The minimal requirement is 4 gm. Per day.
- Apart from all these other herbs like liquorice, wheat grass, red clover and barley also help to reduce the symptoms of colitis and thus treating it completely.
- Eating 1 or 2 bananas a day also reduces colon irritation.
It is very hard to maintain all these do’s and don’ts and also lead a healthy lifestyle by following a healthy diet. That is why we want to enlist some recipes which are delicious and provides wholesome nutrients while avoiding the unnecessary items which might cause complications.
Recipes for a Healthy Diet:
1.Simple Roast Chicken:
There’s no reason to get mad with complex techniques for making a flavour filled, rich and simple roast chicken, the ultimate tasty diet food.
- One small onion, skin taken out and cut into square pieces.
- Three cloves of garlic, which has been peeled and cut
- Three twigs fresh tarragon powder
- Three twigs fresh thyme
- One 5-pound of chicken
- Two spoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- One teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place all the onion, garlic, tarragon and thyme in the chicken’s cavity.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string, to close the cavity opening.
- Rub the chicken with very little oil, salt, and pepper. Set in a roasting pan, breast-side down.
- Roast the chicken for 25 minutes.
- Turn breast-side alternatively and continue roasting, occasionally with pan juices.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. Remove the string.
2.Warm Chicken Sausage & Potato Salad:
This warm salad is a perfect dish to digest all essential nutrients without disrupting your special diet.
- 1 pound small potatoes, cut in half
- One 5-ounce bag spinach (about 4 cups)
- 12 ounces precooked chicken sausage cut pieces
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar (optional)
- One tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- One tablespoon whole-grain
- One tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in the oven.
- Place potatoes in a steamed basket and steam it, covered, until just cooked thoroughly, for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and spinach, cover with foil to keep warm.
- Cook sausage in a medium heat, often stirring, until browned and heated thoroughly about 5 minutes.
- Add to the potato-spinach mixture. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in vinegar, maple syrup, and whole grain, removing up any browned bits.
- Gradually whisk in oil. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until the spinach is wilted.
3.Curry Carrot and Apple Soup:
This is soup which is simple and tasty and very colourful.
- tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- large onion, chopped
- tablespoon turmeric powder
- large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- large apples peeled and cut thickly
- One bay leaf
- 4½ cups saltless chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, dill or basil for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in onion and cook until the onion is softened.
- Stir in turmeric powder, and then add carrots, apples, and bay leaf.
- Stir well over medium heat for 2 minutes, and add broth and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a low boiling temperature.
- Cover tightly and allow to simmer until the carrots and apples are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- You can now remove the bay leaf and carrot to form a smooth puree.
- Add it to the soup, let it mix and serve when warm.
If you experience the severity of symptoms, it is always better to visit a doctor nearby and get consultations.
To avoid chronic diseases like these try to exercise daily and maintain a healthy diet because the greatest wealth is health.