Hair dye allergy is one of the biggest problems associated with hair coloring these days. Allergy due to hair dyes become quite widespread. If you are suffering from hair dye allergies then, we have a few effective home remedies to treat hair dye allergies.
If you have dyed your hair to hide the grey hair or to add the extra oomph to your personality then, you should be a bit careful of the allergic reactions that might happen with hair dye.
Dying is one of the easiest trendy methods to add glamour and at the same time hide grey hair if any. It is probably the practice of coloring hair using different colors.
All the hair dyes contain an ingredient called paraphenylenediamine (PPD). Often chemicals such as PPD present in the hair dyes can cause a lot of problems These problems can range from dandruff and hair fall to serious allergic reactions.
Table of Contents
Home Remedies To Treat Hair Dye Allergies
Hair dye allergy is a newly emerging problem among people. Whenever the symptoms come, you either avoid it or run to a doctor. Allergies can be reduced by taking antihistamines for hair allergies prescribed by doctors.
Nevertheless, there are several simpler remedies than these medicinal courses. Instead of loosening your pockets and bearing the hassle of running to a doctor, you can find simple remedies to get rid of your hair dye allergy at home.
These home remedies to treat hair dye allergies are cheap, feasible and have no side effects.
These remedies act quickly and they help you to get rid of all the irritating symptoms. Moreover, all these will be readily available in your kitchen, your medical kit or your bathroom essentials!
So, let’s go on with the list to treat hair dye allergy:
1. Shampoo Or Soap
Soaps and shampoos are very basic in nature. A mild concentration of soaps and shampoos would add a base to the allergy affected area. This would help is soothing the skin, cool it down and providing relief from the irritation.
How To Do?
- Apply soap or shampoo on the entire length of the hair and scalp.
- Rinse properly for 2-3 minutes.
- Then wash the area with cold water. You will experience immediate relief.
- You can use regular soaps, mild soaps or glycerine soaps. Mild herbal shampoos are also a great choice.
2. Potassium Permanganate
Potassium permanganate is also a basic agent. It has properties which can help heal wounds and other skin troubles. It has several properties which may help to fight the allergic reaction.
Potassium permanganate has a counter effect on PPD. You can find Potassium permanganate easily in medical stores.
How To Do?
- You can purchase potassium permanganate in any medical store in the form of violet crystals.
- Add water to the crystals and form a solution. To a pinch of crystals, add 1 mL water.
- Add this solution to the affected region. keep it as it is or if you wish you can wash it after some time.
- This will oxidize the affected area and soothe the skin. It acts as a magical relief from allergies!
3. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide in a small amount can cure the allergy. It can reduce the allergy to a large extent and even make the skin feel better as it acts like an oxidizing agent.
How To Use It?
- You can buy hydrogen peroxide from medical stores as well. This is available in the form of a liquid.
- Apply the solution directly to the affected area and wait for 2-4 minutes.
- Then wash it off with cold water.
- The itching and the burning sensation will disappear immediately. Hydrogen peroxide to the rescue!
4. Antihistamines For Hair Dye Allergy
Taking an oral antihistamine such as Benadryl can also reduce inflammation. It can cure rashes, redness, itching and skin irritation.
Although antihistamines are mostly consumed after a doctor’s prescription, you can have Benadryl in a small amount for immediate relief. It has almost no side effects. So you can consume it without worrying!
It will cure the allergy in a matter of hours. It will soothe the skin and reduce the problem very quickly.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice can have a soothing effect on the skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties which can help the irritation like magic.
How To Use It?
- Take one and a half lemon. Cut it and squeeze the juice out of it in a small container.
- Then apply the juice directly on to the affected region.
- It will start showing its effect very soon. After some time, wash off the juice. Your skin will feel better immediately.
- You can cut the lemon and apply it to the scalp directly as well by rubbing it.
Yogurt contains lactic acid. Cool yogurt can help the affected area. It can also stop the burning sensation. It has other compounds present as well. These can heal the irritation to a large extent.
How To Do It?
- Take a small amount of yogurt in a bowl.
- Massage it on to the affected area with your fingers. This will cool your skin down very quickly.
- Wash it off according to your convenience.
- To make it more effective, add lemon juice to the yogurt. This will have a stronger effect on the allergy! You can also apply it in the form of a pack.
7. Jojoba Oil
This oil can cure the inflammation and itching. Natural oils can have a very good effect on the skin. It is extracted from the seed of a shrub.
It has very high medicinal value and is excellent for skin health. This is one of the most natural and effective home remedies to treat hair dye allergy. It has anti-inflammatory effects. This will help your skin in multiple other ways too!
How To Carry Out The Method?
- Heat the oil to a lukewarm temperature.
- Then massage it on to the scalp gently with your fingertips. Then it will reduce the skin aberration.
- This method will be more effective if you wash off the oil with a mild herbal shampoo.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda has many skin benefits. In several health and beauty videos, baking soda is mentioned repetitively. It can help in rejuvenating the skin.
Moreover, It can also help to cure skin problems such as allergic reactions. It helps to cure itchiness and redness.
How To Carry It Out?
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Add 2 teaspoons of water to it. Mix it well.
- Then apply it to your scalp and other affected areas. Wash it off after 15-20 minutes.
9. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is very famous for its healing properties. It is also famous for its aroma. It is has a lot of medicinal value. Applying cool chamomile tea can help the skin to cool down. It can also help in rashes and inflammation.
How To Do It?
- Add ice cubes to the camomile tea to cool it down.
- Then pour the tea on to your scalp and the affected areas.
- Then let your hair dry. Try this for 2-4 days and the allergy will disappear in no time!
10. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a magic ingredient. Its presence in your life can make you healthy. You can either consume it or apply it on to the skin. In the case of allergies, it can cool the skin down. It can also reduce rashes, redness, and dryness, burning sensations and flaking. It will soothe the skin.
You can use readily-available Aloe Vera gel and apply it directly on to the allergy affected regions.
Or you can also take an Aloe Vera leaf. Cut the leaf in a half, scoop the gel and apply it to the affected region. You can leave this on for long hours.
Apply this for a few days and your allergy will disappear.
11. Tree Tea Oil
One should use tree tea oil to curb itchiness and redness. People use tree tea oil has since ages to cure scalp problems. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. These properties can reduce the allergy.
How To Do It?
- Take a few drops of tree tea oil.
- Mix it with a base oil like coconut oil.
- Massage it on your entire scalp.
- Leave it overnight and next morning wash it with tea tree shampoo.
12. Coconut Oil
Its one of the most common ingredients. Coconut oil is beneficial for scalp health. It can also reduce allergies and soothe the skin. It has antibacterial and penetrative properties. This will also help to soothe the allergy.
How To Use It?
- Apply the coconut oil to your scalp, your hair and the affected areas for 30 minutes. You can also keep it on overnight.
- Wash it with lukewarm and cool water and an herbal shampoo. Doing this for a few days will make your skin absolutely normal.
13. Apple Cider Vinegar
This also has anti-inflammatory properties. These can be beneficial in treating allergic reactions. It can help to get rid of the pain, redness and the itching. It can reduce symptoms very effectively.
How To Do It?
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. You can apply this solution directly to the affected region. Or you can choose to add lemon juice to the solution and then apply it.
- Leave it on for an hour. Then wash it off with herbal shampoo. Then add a solution of apple cider vinegar and water to the allergy affected areas. Let it stay. Do not wash it off!
- Try this for every alternate day for 10 days. Your skin will be as good as new!
14. Olive Oil
Olive oil is a multi-talented ingredient. It can be consumed and also applied on the skin. It is also a very effective ingredient in curing hair dye allergy. The remedy works quickly to cure several symptoms caused by hair dyes.
How To Do It?
- Heat the oil until it is slightly warm. Apply it on to the affected areas for 30 minutes. You can also choose to leave it on overnight.
- Wash this off with herbal shampoo. Try this for 10 days to make your allergy symptoms disappear!
15. Witch Hazel
It’s a very well-known herb with several medicinal properties. It can act very well on allergies. It can work fast and reduce allergies soon.
How To Do It?
- Take the witch hazel extract and spread the extract evenly onto the area and massage it softly with your finger. After 20-30 minutes, rinse it out with lukewarm water.
- Try this for a week and your skin will be back to normal, without a hint of any aberration at all!
Honey works wonders for your body! It can help in weight loss, hair treatments, facial treatments, etc. What you may not have known is that it can also help hair dye allergies!
How To Do It?
- Apply a coat of honey directly on to the skin and leave it on for 10 minutes. Try this twice a day for 3 days. This will help to reduce the allergy
- You can also add a teaspoon of honey to a glass of water and add lemon juice to make a solution. Then, add this solution to the allergy affected region directly.
- Try this for once every day, for 5 days.
This is a surprising element. This is an ingredient which is consumed as a full meal.
How To Do It?
- Add a cup of oatmeal to the water directly. Relax for 20-30 minutes. Then wash up. Do this for 5 days and you will see a difference.
- You can also add it to your bucket of water while taking a bath.
- This funny ingredient will work very well for you!
18. Sesame Seed
Sesame seed oil is an excellent remedy for all your hair problems.it helps to soothe your scalp during hair problems. It also prevents greying of hair. It has basically a lot of benefits for your skin!
How To Use It?
- Heat the oil to a lukewarm temperature. Then, massage it gently to the affected region. Thereafter, keep it on for 30 minutes or throughout the night.
- Wash it off with herbal shampoo!
- Like all the other oils, this will help your skin feel much better!
19. Basil Leaves
It’s a culinary herb. It is used in cuisines worldwide. It is very famous for the taste it adds to food items. Yet, it can also help to reduce your hair dye allergy as well.
How To Carry It?
- Add 2 tablespoon extracted basil juice to a cup of water.
- Heat it to a lukewarm temperature and add it on to your hair, scalp and affected areas.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes. Then wash it off with cold or lukewarm water.
- Do this 2-3 times for a week and your allergy will go away!
20. Mint Leaves
Mint leaves are very famous for their unique flavor. It has a cooling effect which is an add-on! It makes you feel fresh and cool! Mint leaves can also help to soothe your skin during an allergy. It will also help relieve the itching.
How To Carry It?
- Boil a few mint leaves in a cup of water for 10 minutes. Then strain the leaves out of the solution.
- Thereafter, pour the solution on to the affected areas. Let it stay and dry.
- Apply this 2-3 times a week for a permanent solution!
Antihistamines For Hair Dye Allergies
When your body comes in contact with allergens, it produces chemicals called histamines in the body. These chemicals cause the series of symptoms mentioned above. Antihistamines are medicines which block these histamines, hence preventing the allergy and the discomfort.
Antihistamines can be of a variety of kinds and can be taken in through different methods. Some of these medicines can be availed easily. Yet a lot of them require a prescription by a practitioner. These can be effective for different kinds of allergies.
Yet, antihistamines can only be used for treating mild hair dye allergies. For the strong allergies, this remedy will not be of any use.
Some common antihistamines that can be used to treat allergies include Benadryl, Carbinoxamine, Hydroxyzine, Levocabastine, etc.
Some Ayurvedic Treatments
This painful problem can have painless ayurvedic treatments with no side effects. Ayurvedic treatments have been trusted since time immemorial.
These remedies are also mentioned in the scriptures. These treatments are 100% natural. There are freshly picked from herbs. They have no synthetic aspect about them. Not only does it help to cure the ailment, but it also improves the existing conditions. Two kinds of ayurvedic treatments can be undertaken.
- Internal Medication– Certain Ayurvedic medicines can be consumed internally. They can be taken in the form of herbs or oral pills. There are several such ayurvedic agents such as Samarpita Loha, Gulkhand, Gandhara Rasayana, etc. There is a long list of such ayurvedic substances that can be used. These are a few examples. These have no side effects.
- External Medication– These Ayurvedic agents can be applied externally. They can be directly applied and massaged on to the allergy affected areas, just like the other treatments mentioned above. Some of these substances are Mandalia Talia, Bhringaraja Talia, Kayyunyadi keram, etc.
How To Prevent Hair Dye Allergies?
1) Patch Test- This is the most effective way to prevent hair dye allergy. For this, take some of the dye and apply it to a small patch. This can either be behind an ear or on the elbow. Leave the dye on for 24-48 hours. If it does not cause any allergic reaction, then you can proceed with hair coloring.
2) Use Natural Dyes- Use henna or other organic ingredients to prevent such allergies. This is because natural ingredients do not contain PPD.
3) Wear gloves while using the dye- sometimes, the allergy may not happen through the skin. It may happen through the hands or other body parts. So you must wear gloves while putting on hair dye. It is also recommended that the neck remains covered as well.
4) Research well and then use the correct dye with least side effects.
5) Test For Allergies- It is important to go to a doctor and test for allergies. If you already have sensitive skin and suffer from skin problems, you should avoid hair dying.
6) Consult a Professional- It is always better to get a professional to color your hair. It is much better than trying it out on yourself. The professional will know how to deal with the dyes. Your hair color will also turn out better.
7) Use lighter colors such as blond or light brown. Dark colors such as black and dark brown have chemicals in a larger concentration. This can be harsher for the skin of the scalp.
8) Consult your doctor or dentist before trying this out. They might be using an anesthetic containing these chemicals. These may start a strong allergy in your body.
Causes Of Hair Dye Allergies
Some people have very sensitive skin. They are vulnerable to a skin condition called contact dermatitis. This reaction may be very uncomfortable for the skin.
The hair dyes have PPD in them in quite a large amount. Several other purposes put this ingredient to use. We can find PPD in tattoo ink, gasoline etc.
In hair dyes, we mix PPD with an oxidizer before use. This mixture causes allergic reactions in many people. PPD is safe to use in general. Yet, when it gets oxidized, it can act as an allergen. It may be very irritating to the skin. It can also damage the skin.
The hair dye, when applied to the length of hair, may also reach the roots. When it comes in contact with the skin of the scalp, it may cause these allergies. In some severe cases, it may also damage the skin. The allergies can be of a few types.
First, it might appear as mild symptoms. This is sensitivity. This may have symptoms of dermatitis. A stronger reaction may also appear. This phenomenon is anaphylaxis. This can be very fatal.
Symptoms Of Hair Dye Allergies
Like other allergens, PPD also has a list of symptoms. Some of these symptoms are very generic. Yet, after applying hair dyes, you should be cautious about these symptoms.
- Irritating skin– One of the easiest ways to identify an allergy is skin irritation. The affected area will appear red. It also might feel itchy. The skin might also feel hot.
- Raised skin– The affected part of the skin can also become raised. As compared to the skin in its vicinity, it may seem inflamed.
- Burning sensation– You might feel like your skin is burning. This is also a very common symptom.
- Rashes– Temporary itchy bumps can be irritating for the skin. Rashes are such bumps which can be very irksome. These are the most common symptoms of allergies.
- Flaky skin– Your scalp might start flaking in certain regions. It might start coming off in bits.
- Swollen eyes– Allergies can make your eyes puffy and watery. This might cause itching in the eyes. The eyes get very swollen.
- Swollen lips– Your mouth can also swell as an allergic reaction. The insides of your mouth can get swollen. It might feel very tight and uncomfortable. On the exterior, your lips might get swollen. This can be very noticeable.
- Swelling of the throat– Your throat might feel itchy. One might also experience difficulty in gulping down food items. In such a case, swallowing water can also be painful.
- Stomach ache– Unwarranted stomach ache and nausea can also be a symptom of skin allergy. If you experience such symptoms a few hours after applying the dye, then it could be a symptom of hair dye allergy.
- Vomiting– Throwing up a few times is a symptom very indicative to allergy.
- Fainting– One might feel dizzy and light headed as well. Such allergies can cause the person to feel weak and even faint in certain cases.
- Breathing difficulties– You can also experience trouble in breathing. These are shortness of breath, incomplete breaths, short and quick breaths and suffocation.
- Facial swelling– In some severe cases, the face might turn red and become swollen. This is one of the lethal cases.
- Blood pressure fluctuation– Blood pressure may drop or rise. This is a case of severe allergy.
The hair dye allergies if mild last for a few weeks to months. Chronic hair dye allergies last for years if proper treatment is not taken.
Mild to moderate kind can be treated easily using the below home remedies to treat hair dye allergy. However, the chronic ones are best to be consulted by a doctor as it might cause other infections and health issues.
So, make sure to judge the severity of your hair dye allergy to find out the correct method to treat hair dye allergy.
How Long Does It Take To React To Hair Dye?
If a person is allergic to hair dye, the dye will show its symptoms within 24 to 48 hours. The symptoms may also appear very fast in some cases.
It depends on the tolerance of your skin. For sensitive skin types, the allergy might show up within a few hours. It can also show up minutes after initial exposure.
For others, it may take a day or two to the surface. The skin may react very quickly to PPD or any of its other components.
Allergic Reaction To Hair Dye How Long Does It Last
The allergy can be of different varieties. Its symptoms can last for different durations for different people. Hence, the healing time will also vary.
For mild allergies (sensitivity), the symptoms will last for 10 to 15 days from the usage of the dye. The problems are such as itchiness, redness, rashes, and inflammation. They can get cured within 10-15 days.
Yet, sometimes the allergy may also be very severe. It takes a much longer time to heal from this allergy. The symptoms can be sneezing, red patches on the skin, vomiting, sneezing and swollen eyes. It can last for a month and a half. These problems are a sign of major allergy.
There can also be a third kind of infection called Anaphylaxis. This can show signs of facial swelling, blood pressure fluctuations, and shortness of breath. Such symptoms mean that it is a lethal case. In such cases, you must call emergency helplines or rush to a doctor!
When To See Doctor?
It is advisable that if any of the symptoms appear, you should see a doctor. You can cure the symptoms which appear on the scalp can using home remedies.
Yet, it is imperative to see a doctor if the symptoms start spreading into the body. If you see the swelling of the face, eyes, mouth, throat, etc., you should consult a doctor as soon as possible. You may face shortness of breath or fluctuating blood pressure.
In this case, you must contact an emergency helpline number. In such cases, you should take the patient to the hospital and given medical care.
1. Can Hair Dye Allergy Be Life-Threatening?
Allergies can be of different degrees. Mild allergies can be cured using simple home remedies or simple antihistamines prescribed by doctors. But if your allergic reaction is extremely severe, it can be fatal as well.
As mentioned above, strong allergies have a different set of reactions. If any of these reactions are seen, the patient needs to be taken to a hospital immediately.
2. If Someone Is Allergic To Hair Dye, Can They Never Colour Their Hair?
If someone is allergic to hair dyes, it is recommended that they do not color their hair using synthetic colors. However, there are several naturals, ayurvedic dye options which can be used instead to color your hair.
Some of the options can be henna, gooseberries, Terminalia belirica, etc. Although the usage of these substances has become rare in the recent times, they can act as a good substitute for chemical hair dyes.
Hence, we should remember that health is always more important than beauty. An action can be mild or lethal. In either case, an allergy causes discomfort in the body which is unpleasant.
Hence, you must test for allergies. If you have sensitive skin, it is better to keep away from hair color. Also, it is very important to keep your doctor updated. You need to check for allergies and get tests done.
If you have to experiment, carry out research first. Research online, consult your doctor and experienced people. It is most advisable to ask a professional to dye your hair! Experimentation and colors are fun, but it is imperative to pay heed to your health.