A summer cold is a common cold you catch during summer. Summer cold can be very annoying and stressful. Often people may think you can only suffer from, a cold during winter.
But it is not necessary to be cold outside to get cold. It is exactly like the cold you catch in the winter.
A summer cold is also known as hay fever. There are more than 200 viruses that can cause colds. But the virus that causes summer cold is enteroviruses. Enterovirus infections can also cause severe symptoms, such as rashes.
People feel summer colds are worse because it is not cold outside and they are not supposed to get cold. People also mistake summer cold for allergies.
It can ruin your summer fun time. But don’t worry you can treat this problem at home with some remedies.
This article will help you know everything about the summer cold. This will also help you to treat it with our easy home remedies.
Table of Contents
Home Remedies To Treat Summer Cold
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar creates an alkaline environment in the body. This helps the body to kill the viruses and bacteria faster.
How To Use ACV?
- Take 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and a glass of water.
- Mix the ACV and water well and drink this. You can also add some honey to taste.
- Drink 1-2 glass of this every day. Do this until you get a result.
2. Vitamin C
Vitamin C improves the immune response to the viral infection. It helps the body to fight the virus better and remove it faster from the body.
- Take a vitamin C supplement every day.
- Take it as advised on the box.
Ginger can help reduce the inflammation in your nasal passages. It can also lessen the excessive mucus produced.
The warmth of the ginger tea can also soothe your nasal passages. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
How To Use Ginger For Summer Cold?
- Take 1/2 inch ginger root, a cup of hot water and 1 teaspoon, honey.
- Make some hot ginger tea by soaking the chopped ginger in hot water for a few minutes.
- Then add honey, and drink this tea.
- Drink 2-3 cups of ginger tea in a day.
Echinacea is also known as the purple coneflower. It increases the number of white blood cells in the body. This is good for treating infections such as colds.
- Take Echinacea capsules or tincture
- Take this herbal supplement as directed.
- Take about 900 mg of the herb. Take this 2-3 doses in a day.
Turmeric is one of the best remedies to treat any infection. Turmeric acts as an excellent antimicrobial agent. It helps to reduce inflammation and aids quick recovery.
How To Use Turmeric For Summer Cold?
- Take 1 teaspoon salt,1 teaspoon turmeric and a glass of hot water.
- Add turmeric and salt to the water and mix.
- Gargle with this mix.
- Do this in every 3-4 hours.
6. Herbal Tea
Herbal tea is an effective remedy for a summer cold. These herbs give relief from the summer cold symptoms. They have antimicrobial properties and can fight the infection.
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 1/4 cup fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon honey
- First, roast all the dry herbs together.
How To Use Herbal Tea For Summer Cold?
- Boil 1 cup water and add one tablespoon of the herb mixture to it.
- Heat this on a low flame.
- After the mixture boils strain the decoction.
- Add some honey to it and mix well.
- Drink this warm tea twice a day.
7. Essential Oils
Essential oil stimulates the immune system. The antiviral properties of eucalyptus oil make it best remedy for treating cold.
How To Use Essential Oils For Summer Cold?
- Take a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil, the bowl of hot water and a towel
- Mix the essential oil in hot water.
- Cover your head and neck with the towel and inhale the steam from the water bowl.
- Inhale the steam for about 7-8 minutes.
- You can also use tea tree essential oil, peppermint oil, or thyme essential oil for this.
- Do this once or twice a day until you get relief.
Garlic has antibacterial and antiviral properties. It can help boost the immune system and flush out toxins from the body.
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
How To Use Garlic For Summer Cold?
- Blend all the ingredients and drink the liquid.
- Drink this every day until you get results.
Honey is antimicrobial in nature. It contains compounds that kill the bacteria and virus that cause cold. It also has anti-inflammatory properties.
How To Use Honey For Summer Cold?
- Take 2 teaspoons honey and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. You can also take ginger juice.
- Mix them and drink the mixture.
- Drink this mix 2-3 times in a day.
10. Red Onion
Red onions work well to treat summer cold. Because onions have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
How To Use Red Onions For Summer Cold?
- Take 2-3 red onions and 1/4 cup honey
- Cut the onions.
- Place a slice of onion and pour some honey on it. Place another slice on top of this and pour some honey. Do this until all the slices are on top of each other.
- Cover the bowl and keep it for 10-12 hours.
- Drink a tablespoon of the syrup present in the bowl.
- You can take the same syrup for 2-3 days.
- Drink the syrup twice a day.
If you mix milk with turmeric and ginger, it can help you get rid of cold. It can also help you get rid of the symptoms of a headache, runny nose, and watery eyes. The combination has antimicrobial properties.
- A glass of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
How To Use Milk For Summer Cold?
- Boil a glass of milk and add turmeric and ginger powder to it.
- Drink this warm milk twice a day.
Cinnamon also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. This will help relieve cold and its symptoms.
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 2 cloves
- A glass of boiling water
How To Use Cinnamon For Summer Cold?
- Add cinnamon and cloves to the water. Let it boil for few minutes.
- Strain the liquid and drink a tablespoon of this.
- Drink this syrup 2-3 times in a day.
13. Saline Spray
Saline water can clear up the crusty and built-up mucus from your nostrils. It acts as a nasal decongestant and keeps the mucus loose. Do not use sea salt for this remedy as it can cause further irritation in your nose.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- A cup of water
- A pinch of baking soda
- A saline spray bottle
How To Use Saline Spray For Summer Cold?
- Heat the water until it is warm.
- Put some salt and baking soda into the spray bottle.
- Add the warm water and mix well.
- Spray this into your nostrils to rinse your nasal passages.
- Do this once or twice a day.
14. Neti Pot
Neti pots can treat symptoms like congestion, pressure, and facial pain. The solution also comes in a bottle with a nozzle and are available at most health food stores. It generates the force to flush out your nose and sinuses with a saline solution.
- Insert its spout into one nostril.
- Tilt the head to the side to allow the saline solution to flow up.
- Do the same with the other nostril.
15. Chicken Soup
This is one of the tasty remedies to get rid of a summer cold. The vitamins present in the chicken soup will cure a cold.
The antioxidants will make the healing process faster. Inhaling the steam can also relieve a stuffy nose. The warm soup can also treat sore throats.
- Make a thick soup using chicken and vegetables.
- Drink this soup two times every day.
Pepper provides relief from common cold and helps to reduce chest congestion. It is also antibacterial in nature. Pepper is rich in Vitamin C and works as a good antibiotic. It helps relieve nasal congestion and breaks up mucus.
- Add ground pepper and turmeric powder to hot milk and mix well.
- Drink it daily to cure summer cold
Causes Of Summer Cold
There are some summer habits that can cause enterovirus to enter your system. This enterovirus then leads to a summer cold. Some of the common causes are:
1. Sudden Exercise
Sometimes exercising too much too fast during summer can bring down our immune system a bit. This doesn’t give our body the time it needs to fight the infection. As the body diverts more energy to sustain our exercise. This makes easy for the virus to enter the body.
2. More Use Of Air-Conditioning
In summer we like to enjoy the air-conditioning and its pleasant cooling breeze. But, this also makes our mouths and noses dry.
This means that it makes the mucous lining of our respiratory tracts less sticky. And it becomes less effective to trap enterovirus. This makes easy for the virus to multiply in the dry environment.
Stress can make your immune system weak. This makes the body more prone to catching a cold in summer.
4. Long Flying
When you are flying for a long time you share space with other germ-ridden people. You come in contact with their coughs and sneezes for several hours. More time spent in the air and exposed to bugs increases your chances of catching a summer cold.
5. Foreign Places
When moving away from home to another place your body faces unfamiliar viruses. This can make your immune system weak. Different foods can also upset your digestive system.
Symptoms Of Summer Cold
Some symptoms that you can see when you have summer cold are:
1. Nasal Congestion
Congestion is the common symptoms of a summer cold. The nasal passage gets swollen and inflamed. This makes difficult for air to flow through the nostrils. This is also called as a stuffy nose. It can take about 12 hours for the first symptoms after the virus attacks. The swelling of the inside lining of the nose causes nasal congestion.
2. A Dry Cough
Coughing is another common symptom of a cold. A hacking cough or a dry cough lasts the long. This type of a cough becomes more severe while sleeping. Severe hacking cough can cause the chest area, to become sore. Small receptors in the throat that have become agitated causes hacking cough.
3. Watery Eyes
A summer cold can also lead to watery eyes. The sinus area of the nose becomes inflamed and produces more tears. The eyes become irritated by excess sneezing or coughing and releases more tears. Children are more likely to have watery eyes. A summer cold can last up to seven days without any treatment.
Prevention Of Summer Cold
There’s no such way to completely prevent your body from getting a cold. But you can take certain steps to reduce the chances of getting cold.
1. Immune System
Always try to take care of your immune system and keep it strong. You can do this by eating nutritious foods and avoiding stress. You can also take supplements to boost your immune.
Getting good sleep can also help your body to stay away from cold. Sleep helps to reset the immune system each day so that it functions well.
3. Wash Your Hands
Make a habit of washing your hands especially in restrooms of public spaces. Because these areas have pathogens which can harm your body.
4. Avoid People With Cold
Always try to avoid people suffering from cold. If you come close to or touch them, then remember to wash up.
1. When To See A Doctor?
We know that scratchy throat, cough, and sneezing are common when you have a cold. You may also have a stuffy nose and some aches and pains.
But when these symptoms get severe you need to consult a doctor. Some of the serious signs that you should keep in mind are:
- Trouble breathing and chest pain
- Fever doesn’t get better
- Hurts to swallow
- Can’t get rid of a cough
- A continuous headache
If you face any of the above problems, then you should consult a doctor as soon as possible. This signs could be symptoms of some other disease or allergy.
2. How Long Does A Summer Cold Last?
A summer cold could last about as long as 10 days. The symptoms start to improve within 7 days. Children resolve colds much faster than adults. They resolve it in less than a week.
Some adults, deal with colds for up to about 2 weeks. If you take good care of yourself and use cold care remedies, you can cure a cold faster. If your cold lasts more than two weeks, it is better to consult a doctor.
3. Is It Good To Sweat When You Have A Cold?
You may try to get rid of the aches and pains and stuffy nose by sweating it out. But this doesn’t change the recovery time. You can’t get rid of a cold by sweating it out. You may feel better by exercising, but this will not cure your cold.
4. Are Summer Colds Contagious?
Summer colds are very contagious and can spread. This can spread when you inhale small drops of fluid or transfer by touch.
There are no such vaccinations to protect from a summer cold. It can spread through the fecal-to-oral route and cause more complicated symptoms. Summer colds are difficult to get rid of as compared to winter cold.
A summer cold is common, and it goes away within 2 weeks. so, don’t panic too much about it. Always stay hydrated and stick to water and avoid beverages. Beverages can dry you out in summer, and you may suffer from cold.
Another tip that you can try is to sleep with a humidifier in your bedroom. This may also help you prevent cold.If you get summer cold, you can try any of the above natural home remedies to cure it.Hope you have got enough information about the summer cold and the home remedies that you can use to cure it.