Have you ever woken up with a bad kind of feeling in mouth? Does it feel bitter? Well, don’t worry, because there are many of us here who have felt the same things many times when they wake up in the morning.
You can easily get rid of a bitter taste in mouth by using the below-mentioned effective home remedies.
There can be a number of factors which lead to a bitter taste and bad breath in your mouth after you wake up. Let us see the main reasons behind the bitter taste in the mouth.
- Reasons Behind Bitter Taste In Mouth-
- Home Remedies For Bitter Taste In Mouth:
- Some additional tips-
Reasons Behind Bitter Taste In Mouth-
1.Poor Oral Hygiene:
If you do not brush your teeth regularly and do not floss regularly and do not keep the internal environment of your mouth clean, then you might experience a bitter taste in your mouth when you wake up in the morning.Plus ignoring to clean your mouth might lead to various problems like infection, gum inflammation, gum bleeding and cavities. These can be treated with medicines.
Plus ignoring to clean your mouth might lead to various problems like infection, gum inflammation, gum bleeding and cavities. These can be treated with medicines.
Medicines sometimes aid to bitter taste in the mouth to deposition of the drug in between the teeth. The medicines include antihypertensive drugs, anti-psychotic drugs and antibiotics. When they are absorbed in the blood, they come out through the saliva and leave a dry mouth, also affecting the salivary glands.
3.Vitamin and Supplements:
Vitamin capsules and supplements contain a lot of heavy metals like zinc, chromium and copper which aids to the feeling of bitterness in your mouth. Mineral supplements like calcium and iron also bring about the bitterness. This taste usually suggests that you have overdosed yourself with the particular vitamin or metal supplements and is an indication to stop. It usually goes away when they have been completely absorbed by your body.
This taste usually suggests that you have overdosed yourself with the particular vitamin or metal supplements and is an indication to stop. It usually goes away when they have been completely absorbed by your body.
4.Inhalation of pollutants:
Bitterness in your mouth can be caused due to excessive smoking, as cigar smoke affects the taste buds immensely. You can also get the bitter feeling when you have inhaled some environmental pollutants like dust, gas or benzene.
Acid reflux is a very common cause for the bitterness of mouth and accounts for 80% of the cases. It occurs when stomach acids move upwards in the oesophagal track and come into your mouth and mix with the saliva.
This leads to bitter taste and foul smell from your mouth. This condition can be avoided by eating less oily and spicy food. You can also take medications like antacids and suppressants.
Pregnancy is the time of maximum hormonal imbalance in women’s body. This can lead to the feeling of bitterness in your mouth. It is a symptom of pregnancy and it cures itself naturally within a few days. You can treat yourself to candy bars and chewing gums with lemon or mint flavour to get rid of the bitterness instantly.
7.Some other causes include:
Some health conditions like dehydration, glossitis, allergies, dry mouth and infection of mouth, absence of zinc in the body, Vitamin B12 deficiency, liver diseases, jaundice, and polyps’ formation can cause bitterness in the mouth.
Other common causes can be breathing through your mouth, inflammation of airways and autoimmune diseases can cause bitterness of mouth.
Injuries and traumas especially in the head, neck, tongue, and nose can cause bitterness in your mouth.
Dental fixtures like braces, wire, caps, surgeries of a tongue, anaesthetics of mouth and any kind of radiation therapy can also lead to a bitterness of mouth.
Bitter taste in the mouth can be very irritating. It might affect your personal as well as professional life as it is often accompanied by bad breath. It is not necessary that it goes away as soon as you brush in the morning. It might stay the whole day. So it is very necessary to be treated immediately.
The best way to treat it is to treat it naturally. Below I am mentioning some of the amazing home remedies with which you can treat the bitterness of your mouth easily.
Home Remedies For Bitter Taste In Mouth:
Salt is a very good remedy for the treatment of bitter taste in your mouth. Salt acts as a natural scraper removing any kind of metal deposition, food deposition, bacterial growth and dead cells from the tongue surface. It also has an antiseptic property and kills any kind of bacteria that is present in your mouth and is causing bad breath and bitter taste.
- Sprinkle salt on your tongue and scrub slowly on it with the help of a brush or tongue scraper.
- Scrub for like 5 minutes.
- Rinse and wash your mouth thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- You can repeat after you brush daily twice a day.
- You can also mix salt in warm water and gargle with the solution many times a day.
- For better results use toothpaste containing salts.
Probiotics promote the growth of good bacteria, in turn destructing the bad bacteria. Probiotics contain L. acidophilus bacteria which help to maintain the acid balance in the mouth and also neutralise any kind of excess acid present in the mouth. It also controls the growth of bacteria in your mouth.
- Crush one or two probiotic capsule.
- Mix the crushed capsules along with little water to make a paste-like substance.
- After brushing your teeth as per your normal schedule, brush with this paste once.
- You can also make a solution of the probiotic capsule along with water and use it as a mouthwash after brushing your teeth. Remember to use your tongue to move the solution around your mouth and cover all corners of your mouth.
- Repeat this once a day daily till you get the results.
- You can also consume yoghurt in your daily diet.
- Consult a doctor and take probiotic supplements if necessary.
Vegetable glycerin is a widely used remedy for the bitter taste of mouth, bad breath and white coated the tongue. It is very effective when the above conditions are caused due to dry mouth. It is available in all the general and medical stores. Be sure to buy a good brand.
- Place 3 drops of vegetable glycerin at the centre of your tongue.
- Now spread the glycerin evenly by using a spreader or by using your finger.
- Then brush the surface of the tongue using a soft brush.
- Repeat this 2 times a day daily, till you get the desired results.
This is a certified Ayurveda method for treatment of bitter tongue and white-coated tongue. This treats bitter taste due to acid reflux and is very helpful for maintaining oral acid-base balance. It also removes any kind of bacterial growth due to acid reflux present in your mouth. It also releases toxins from your body.
- Perform this remedy as soon as you get up in the morning before brushing your teeth because this is when the acid reflux is at the maximum stage.
- Take one spoon of virgin coconut oil or sesame oil and put it in your mouth.
- Swish and swash it around your mouth with the help of your tongue and make sure to reach the corners of your mouth as well.
- Keep doing for about 15 minutes at least.
- Spit the oil out and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- Do this once a day daily even after getting cured because it will keep your internal mouth healthy.
- Remember to not swallow the oil by any chance and especially the mouth-washed oil.
Hydrogen peroxide is a very strong antibacterial agent. It kills any bacterial growth present inside your mouth which is causing the bitter taste. It also has teeth whitening properties. To use hydrogen peroxide never use concentration above 3%.
- Make a mixture of hydrogen peroxide along with water in the ratio of 1:2.
- Dip a soft-thistle brush or a tongue cleaner in the above-prepared solution.
- Rub on the tongue and the areas inside your mouth slowly for 5 minutes.
- Spit all the saliva out which was secreted when you were brushing.
- Wash your mouth thoroughly with the help of cold water.
- Do this remedy once before sleeping off at night till one week.
- Never ever swallow the hydrogen peroxide solution.
6.Aloe Vera Juice:
Aloe Vera juice has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It also has healing properties which heal the tongue or internals of your mouth from any kind of injury which is aiding to the bitterness of your mouth. It kills the bacteria and helps to keep your mouth healthy.
- Take one spoon of Aloe Vera juice and put it in your mouth.
- Move it all around its mouth with the help of your tongue for 5-6 minutes.
- Spit it out fully.
- You can also drink Aloe Vera juice if the other remedy is not working out.
- You can repeat this remedy for 2 weeks till you achieve desired results.
Turmeric is a strong antibacterial agent and is very helpful for killing the bacteria present in your mouth. It is a good remedy to maintain the oral hygiene.
- Squeeze out a lemon juice and prepare a mixture with half a teaspoon of turmeric with it.
- Use this as tongue scrubber and scrub all around the mouth.
- Avoid the teeth white region as turmeric might cause staining on them.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
- You can also make a solution of turmeric, salt and lemon juice along with water and use this as a gargle.
- Repeat the above remedy once a day for 2 weeks.
Baking soda is a very common remedy for removal of the bitter taste in the mouth. It has an exfoliating nature which helps to get rid of any kind deposition from the mouth which is leading to bitterness and opens up the taste buds. It maintains pH levels of the mouth and helps in bitter mouth done by acid reflux.
- Mix baking soda along with lemon juice to form a paste like texture.
- Use this as a paste to brush your tongue and all over the mouth.
- If you have sensitive teeth, dilute the lemon juice with water.
- Brush with the paste once a day, daily.
- You can also make your own mouthwash with baking soda by mixing baking soda with water. Rinse with this solution after every time you brush your teeth. Repeat this twice a day at least.
Colloidal silver is helpful in controlling yeast infection of mouth, bitter taste, white tongue and bad breath. It has antimicrobial properties present in it.
- Make a diluted solution of colloidal silver and water.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash and rinse your mouth thoroughly with the solution for 5-10 minutes.
- Spit everything out and wash your mouth with water properly.
- Do this remedy 2-3 times a day for 2-3 weeks.
Commonly known as Neem, Indian Lilac is very effective for the bitter taste of mouth. Neem has antimicrobial properties and has the ability to maintain very good oral hygiene. It is also a blood purifier and helps to remove any kind of toxin present in your mouth.
- Dry fresh leaves of neem in sunlight.
- Powder the dried neem leaves and boil it in a cup of water.
- Let the water boil till the water quantity reduces to its half.
- Allow the solution to cool.
- Use it as a gargle, and gargle with it for a few minutes.
- You can repeat this remedy twice a day for good results.
Citrus fruits like orange and lemon contain vitamin C and acid which helps to the pH levels of your mouth and also maintains oral hygiene. Make a mouthwash of your own with the help of citrus fruits to remove the bitter taste of mouth.
- Juice out 2 lemons or 1 orange or both of them.
- Dilute it with water.
- Rinse your mouth with the help of the above solution.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy once daily for one week till you get rid of the bitter taste.
12.Apple cidar vinegar:
Apple cedar vinegar as I always say is the magical home ingredient which can be used for various ailments, so why not for mouth bitterness?
- Make your own mouthwash with apple cedar vinegar and water and wash your mouth everyday twice with the help of the above solution after brushing your teeth once in the morning and once at night.
Some additional tips-
- Drink a lot of water to keep hydrated and keep dry mouth at bay.
- Eat less oily and spicy foods.
- Eat clove, cinnamon or garlic cloves once a day.
- Use natural breath mints.
- Wash your mouth thoroughly after eating anything.
- Chew your food slowly and nicely to achieve maximum saliva secretion.
- Brush minimum 2 times a day and never forget to brush before you sleep at night.
- Use tongue cleanser every alternate day.
- Drink unsweetened lemon juice on an empty stomach in the morning for blocking the acid reflux.
Do not let a simple thing like bitter taste and bad breath affect your life in any way. Use the home remedies and get rid of it as soon as possible and keep your mouth healthy. Smile away the bitter taste!