If you want to cure a cough in a natural way then homemade night cough syrup is must try for you. Can’t stop that dreaded cough?
Tired of being that person who coughs in a quiet room during a class? Coughing can be discomforting both for the person suffering from it and for the people around.
Can’t stop that dreaded cough? Tired of being that person who coughs in a quiet room during a class?Coughing can be discomforting both for the person suffering from it and for the people around.
Drugstore cough syrups aren’t a solution for most people, mostly because of either their taste or because of the drowsiness that takes over after consumption.
Thankfully, there are other options available! What can be better than a homemade cough syrup?This article guides you through recipes to prepare your very own cough syrup.
Homemade Cough Syrup For Cough
Now, that you have seen how easy it is to make a cough syrup at home and that too with ingredients of everyday use, you can also form a better cough syrup combining all the benefits of the above ingredients listed above.
1. Lemon, Ginger And Honey Cough Syrup
- Cut a ginger into slices and also zest 2 lemons alongside.
- Put a pan on the stove, add water to it and to the water add ¼ cup of the ginger slices and 11/2 to 2 tablespoon of lemon zest.
- Allow the mixture to boil and simmer it for 5 minutes. Strain the solution and keep it aside.
- To a pan add raw honey and heat it. Be careful to only heat the honey and not boil it.
- To the heated honey, add the ginger and lemon zest solution prepared earlier
- Squeeze 2 lemons and add the juice to this mixture.
- For a few minutes over low flame, heat the mixture
- After some minutes take the pan off the flame. Let it cool and your cough syrup is ready.
- For this homemade cough syrup the dosage is 1-2 tablespoons every 4 hours for ages 12 and above. For ages, 5 to 12 administer 1-2 teaspoon every 2 hours and ½ to 1 teaspoon every 2 hours for ages 1 to 5 years.
2. Honey, Olive, And Lemon Cough Syrup
This cough syrup is not to be taken instantaneously and needs to be refrigerated for at least 3 months or on the countertop for a month and a half.
- Squeeze 3 lemons, ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil and ¾ cup raw honey.
- Put these 3 ingredients in a bowl and heat until steaming. When the mixture starts to steam take it off the flame and let it cool. Store it in a jar with an airtight lid and either refrigerate it for 3 months or counter top it for 1.5 months.
- For use stir and warm and administer a teaspoon or tablespoon as needed.
3. Honey, Ginger, Pepper And Thyme Cough Syrup
- To 3 tablespoons of warm water, add 8 tablespoons of honey.
- Now add 1.5 teaspoons each of ginger (fresh or ground), pepper and thyme (fresh or ground) to the honey and water.
- Mix all the ingredients well until the texture is even and the mixture becomes consistent.
- The dosage for this cough syrup is 3-5 teaspoons a day.
Homemade Cough Syrup For Dry Cough During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, it is advised to avoid unnecessary medications. For a simple cough and cold one can easily make a homemade remedy with ingredients available in the kitchen. Some few, to start with are as follows.
1. Basil Leaves And Honey
Boil some water with basil leaves in it. Strain the water and add some honey to it. Drink it according to your need
2. Onion Juice With Honey
Blend an onion and add a tablespoon of honey to the juice. This acts as a nice remedy as well
3. Gargle With Salt Water
Bring a glass of water to lukewarm and add salt to it. Gargle with this water. Salt helps as it cures the itchiness in the throat tissues.
4. Turmeric With Honey
Turmeric and honey are the elixir of life. It is the best remedy when it comes to a cough. Add a tablespoon of honey and a pinch of turmeric to water and drink it at bedtime
Soak some almonds (7 pieces) overnight and in the morning peel them, crush and form a paste. Add a tablespoon of sugar and a tablespoon of butter. Mix it well and eat this twice a day. You should always soak our almonds.
Homemade Cough Syrup For Kids
Before taking your baby to the doctor it is better to try some homemade cough syrup.
1. Carom Seeds (Ajwain) With Jaggery (For Kids 6 Months And Above)
Add a pinch of carom seed and (ajwain) and a teaspoon of jaggery to a cup of water and bring it to boil. Cool it and strain it. Give a teaspoon once a day to your baby.
2. Fennel Seed And Carom Seed Infused Water (For Kids 6 Months And Above)
Add a teaspoon of fennel seeds and a pinch of carom seeds (ajwain) to a cup of water and bring it to boil. Let it cool and then strain it. Give 2 teaspoons a day in morning and night to your kid.
3. Honey (For Kids Above 1 Year)
If it is a mild cough you can give your kid (for kids 1 year and above) to lick a teaspoon of honey. Honey has soothing properties and will help to overcome dry throat.
4. Lemon Juice And Honey (For Kids 1 Year And Above)
Put a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon to a glass of warm water. Mix it well and your kid’s favorite yummy cough syrup is ready.
There are also many health benefits of drinking warm water and honey.
5. Ginger And Basil (For Kids Above 1 Year)
Crush some ginger and basil leaves to extract the juice. Add honey to it and your cough syrup is ready.
6. Basil Ginger And Black Pepper Mix (Kids 1 Year And Above)
To a cup of boiling water, add basil leaves (5), ½ inch ginger and some crushed pepper (2 pods). Cool it and strain it before giving it to your child.
7. Honey And Cinnamon (For Kids 1 Year And Above)
To a teaspoon of honey, add a pinch of cinnamon powder. This will cure a cough and will keep the cold away.
A cough and cold are very common and if one if is careful, chances of catching cough and cold deteriorate gradually. Keep your hands sanitized especially before eating, wear a mask when going in the smoky or dusty environment are a few healthy habits, to begin with.
Besides, these the above homemade cough syrups will help you fight your war against a cough.
You May Also Like Reading