If you wonder how many cups of coffee a day is too much, then you are at right place. You should drink a certain amount of coffee to feel energized. If you drink in excess, then it causes lots of health issues. Discover how many cups of coffee in a day is healthy in this article.
Drinking coffee previously was considered a habit of the upper class in the society, but then it spread widely, and now almost everyone drinks coffee. Many people have a habit of drinking coffee early in the morning, and they would not do anything before that cup of coffee.
Coffee mainly contains a chemical known as caffeine which is a Central Nervous Stimulant and helps to boost energy level and bring about the feeling of freshness even after a hectic day.
But have you ever thought about the fact that how much cups of coffee should you drink per day? Let us find out answers to your questions.
There is a general rule that the normal intake in a person should be from 100 mg caffeine to 400 mg of caffeine per day, which is about 4 cups a day. The total content should be not more than 400 mg of caffeine intake, and I am mentioning this because there are other ways of caffeine intake and if you drink 4 cups of coffee and take other ways of caffeine then it is not good for your body.
Well, the appropriate amount of caffeine is very much beneficial to you.
How Many Cups Of Coffee Is Safe?
Harmful Side-effects Of Drinking Excess Cofee
- Coffee stimulates the production of Hydrochloric Acid. So if you drink coffee on an empty stomach, it might lead to problems related to stomachs, like gastroenteritis or gastric ulcers.
- Digestion of food becomes slow, and coffee gives you the feeling of false hunger which leads to weight gain.
- Coffee causes acid reflux and heartburn.
- Coffee acts as a laxative hence drinking too much give you diarrhea.
- Coffee affects the mineral absorption mechanism of your body and hence starves your body. It mainly affects iron absorption.
- There is a chemical found in coffee which is known as acrylamide. It is said to be a carcinogenic agent.
- Coffee, as I said earlier is a stimulating agent; hence, release the hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine which is bad for the long-term health. People mistake this as energy; this is stressing on your body.
How To Know Wheather You Are Drinking Too Much Cofee?
Now you may have questions that how will you know whether you are drinking too much coffee or not. You can understand that by checking the following symptoms-
- Stomach problems.
- Constant irritation.
- The increase in the rate of heartbeat.
How Many Cups Of Coffee In A Day Is Healthy?
So as you must have understood that coffee is good for health until you take it in a moderate and standard amount. Too much coffee might cause severe health damages and is not at all good for you.
Coffee should be avoided by pregnant women and who have been into addictions previously. Coffee is an addictive agent and hence should be taken cautiously. While taking coffee try to draw a line between habit and addiction.
So as much as you love coffee, I am sure you love yourself more. The bottom line is that do not drink more than 4 cups of coffee per day. If you have other sources of caffeine intake, then you should reduce those 4 cups to 1 or 2 cups a day.
If you are drinking more than 4 cups, stop immediately and if you cannot stop then visit a doctor now itself. Always remember anything you eat or drink should always be done in a moderate amount.
Caffeine Benefits If Taken In Appropriate Amount
- It lowers the risk of heart diseases.
- It helps to fight diabetes type 2.
- It helps to reduce the post-workout muscle pain.
- It is a source of natural fiber.
- It protects against the cirrhosis of the liver, liver cancer, and gout.
- Lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lowers suicidal tendencies and helps in combatting depression.
- Protects the nerve cells against Parkinson’s disease.
- Coffee helps to make DNA stronger and in turn strengthening immunity.
- It lowers the risk of multiple sclerosis and colorectal cancer.
- It is effective against retinal damage and also from cavities on your teeth.
Stay fit and enjoy your cup of coffee!