Sattvik state of mind is the most desired state in Ayurveda.
It’s not only Ayurveda but also human inherent desire to be sattvic.
Sattvic brings up a balance and gives you the peak of happiness and peace in life that we all crave for.
A sattvic lifestyle and sattvic mind is not an unendurable task.
You can bring sattva in your life by making mindful decisions in terms of sensory inputs, personal and professional relations, lifestyle, diet, and the environment.
The article is all about how to become sattvic and increase the sattva guna. We have provided a detailed guide relating to sattvic lifestyle, sattvic mind, sattvic diet, and sattvic activities.
So you can use this guide to transform yourself into a Sattvic.
Table of Contents
Why Should You Become Sattvic?
Before telling you how to become sattvic, you should know why to become Sattvik. Sattvik is one of the most recommended mental constitutions as per the Ayurvedic principles.
Becoming sattvik is actually attaining the peace, mental and physical balance in your life. If you are someone who wants to live happily, be at peace, enjoy relationships, and the most important lead a healthy life then, sattvic is the balance you should go for.
A sattvic balance in your life would help you attain the following things:
- Lead a healthy well-being
- Maintain the balance in your mind and body so will keep the modern day diseases at bay
- To find happiness in what you are and what you do
- Tell you how to be mindful of others
- Help you to maintain healthy inter and intra personal relationships
- Maintain a peace and harmony environment in the society
Now let’s move on with each of the sattvic guna characteristics in detail:
How To Become Sattvic
Down below are few effective steps that will help you to become sattvic. Read every minute aspect in detail. This is an approach. However, nobody is asking you to do everything the next morning.
Instead, give yourself time to start following the practice one by one in your life. And the most important thing is to be patient. You need to be slow and steady, change your mindset, and put consistent efforts.
First what you can do is to take an assessment of the current state of gunas using this Ayurveda Guna Analysis Test.You can check the progress after follwoing the instructions mentioned below after couple of weeks.
1. Sattvic Mind
The sattvic mind plays an important role. They are very gentle, compassionate, and pure in their intentions. Sattvik mind people think right and that’s how they act right.
The mind guides the person how to live, what to, and what not to do. So, the aim to achieve a sattvic mind is to attain a healthy mind and have control over it.
For example, a sattvic mind won’t indulge too much in social media platforms like facebook, Instagram instead would indulge in social and welfare meetings for the good of others.
Overuse of technology can cause an imbalance in your mind so be mindful when using gadgets. Additionally, stress is another major factor.
A sattvic mind is free from tension and stress. The key here is not to let the stress overcome your mind and body and be positive in all the situation.
Thus, the approach of your mind should be calm, correct, and stress-free. The sattvic mind is the most ideal conduct of a person that brings about internal happiness and peace in life.
You will take time but, if you change your thought process you can definitely attain the same easily.
2. Sattvic Lifestyle
The sattvic lifestyle routine is as follows:
- Getting up early in the morning before sunrise. These are ambrosial hours of the day that brings about clarity in mind and thought.
- Following the morning ritual like eliminating, cleaning your senses, bathing, and brushing. Maintain a proper hygiene.
- Meditating for as minimum as 10 minutes. If you don’t wish to meditate just close your eyes sit in a silent place and listen to your breaths.
- Moving your body i.e. performing yoga or any other form of exercise.
- Eating all three meals at the same time every day. While eating maintain a healthy atmosphere and eat without any distraction like phone, TV, or tablet
- Maintaining a proper work pace. You have to stick to a routine. Make a timetable of your work hours. Refrain from overextending your work time. The key here is to listen to your body and do things that your body permits you to do.
- Give some time to yourself in the evening to relax. The evening is meant to be spent with family and friends. So, try to be with others or indulge in an activity that you love to do.
- Sleep before 10 pm. Sleep is very important for the mind, body, and soul. You should always have a good quality sleep of 7-8 hours every day. Never extend or reduce the time beyond this as it will hamper your body clock.
3. Sattvic Personality
- Be contented and satisfied with yourself and what you have in life. The desire to get more and more is not good.
- Engage yourself in hard work that is for your good and for the good of others.
- Be true to yourself and others. Lying for small or big reasons imbalances your mind so refrains from it.
- Be calm and at peace. Don’t be angry, irritated, or frustrated for things. This will only let the bad come out of you so avoid it.
- Speaking pleasantly to others, in a way not to hurt other emotions. Being mindful of others is a very important quality. When you act keeping other in mind, you will always end up doing good for yourself and others.
- Respecting the elderly and everyone else whosoever you meet.
- Don’t be egoistic. An ego is a major factor behind anger, frustration, and anxiety. if you are down to earth you will never face stress issues in life.
- Lastly, have very good self-control. Self-control is very important to avoid the want of more and more. You need to practice it to reach a sattvic state of mind.
However, whenever you are trying to make your personality sattvic don’t do just for the sake of it. The personality should come out of your heart then only you can your attitude.
Try to cultivate sattva little by little every day. Practice it and act according to it, to live a more balanced, peaceful, and clear personality.
4. Choosing Sensory Inputs
Your senses are the doorway between your mind and the external world. You bring sensory impressions to yourself via your eyes, ears, mouth, skin, and nose.
If the sensory impulses brought by you are proper and balanced i.e. sattvic you will feel happy and uplifted.
If the sensory impressions are in excess you will be the deficit, imbalanced (more rajasic and tamasic), agitated, feel disturbed, and always have the urge to have more.
The mind is extremely sensitive towards the senses. The senses that you choose brings a negative or positive impact on the mind.
For example, if you watch a horror movie or watch too much of fantasy serial or movies, you will have a distorted sense of attaining satisfaction.
Thus, choose sensory impulses that make you peaceful and calm. While you can not control all that you see, smell, or hear but there are a variety of things that you can choose.
Choosing the correct sensory input is the best way to change your mind and attain self-consciousness.
An example of shifting towards healthy sensory impulses is watching beautiful nature movie or comedy over a horror movie or talking to someone in person rather sending forward messages to someone on various social media platforms.
5. Enjoy Your Relationships
You have many relationships in your life from personal to professional and to society. If you have an imbalance mental constitution enjoying the relationships would be difficult for you. To enjoy your relationships to the fullest, you should have a sattvic mind.
Your relationships are meant to uplift you. You spend time with people who uplift you. However, sometimes even the greatest friend can bring you down.
So, if you recognize the that someone’s energy is bringing you down then, its time to part ways.
The sattvic relations with others are expectation free and tend to inspire us to be better people. Develop an open-minded attitude and do things that are good for own well-being.
If you have a healthy relationship with someone do more to make it more pleasurable. And if you have a negative relationship with someone choose love over arguing and choose grounded over ego. This will automatically make the other person behave well to you.
Additionally, surround yourself with spiritual teachers, ayurvedic scholars, yogis, and sattvic people who follow a mindful path.
6. Sattvic Activities
There are a lot of sattvic activities that you can practice to attain the sattvic balanced mental constitution. They are good for the overall well-being. A few of them are explained below:
i) Walking With Nature
Being associated with nature will make you feel calm and revived. Rajasic and tasamic gunas disalign you from nature. The more you move away from nature the more you make your life and lifestyle cluttered.
Natura has the power to naturally heal your mind, body, and soul. They make you sattvic be developing a feeling of calmness and satisfaction.
When you live in city, you tend to move away from the truth as you are attracted towards material possessions and unrealistic things. To be spiritually developed it is important for you to spend some time with nature.
Walking on the green grass early morning or late evening, swimming in the ocean, watching mother nature, living in greenery, swimming in the ocean, or walking through a forest is what will bring you closer to nature. This will also help you be away from the artificial world and awaken your soul.
Its impossible to go to a forest or to swim in the ocean daily. But, take time to do it whenever you are free. Additionally, a walk in a green park is what you can do daily take 20 minutes time to walk with nature.
Attaching yourself to God is another important sattvic activity. Take some time out from your daily schedule and pray or worship the God you wish too.
This will make you calm at mind and soul. Do it daily and you automatically will see the difference in your thoughts and activities.
iii) Change Your Home
Your home is the place where you have your own personal space. So, your home should be a place where you feel peaceful and happy.
Try to make your home a temple. Keep it clean as it is rightly said cleanliness is godliness”). An uncluttered unorganized place make promotes an uncluttered mind.
Fill your home with aromatherapy, soft music, and soft lights. Designate a space for meditation, yoga, spiritual practices, and for yourself.
iv) Regulate Your Sex Life And Stay Away From Toxic Things
Too much of lust or sex is Rajasic. A sattvic mind won’t inclined itself with too much sex instead regulate the sex life.
Sex is a kind of addiction that you should not over indulge in. However, regulating it at a normal pace is what is desired and looked for.
Interestingly, there are few toxic things that make you inclined towards sex. A few of them are alcohol, drugs, and weed.
Do not consume these toxic things as they just hamper your physical and psychological health and take you towards the imbalance.
7. Sattvic Diet
A sattvic diet is a healthy well-balanced diet aimed to keep your body and mind fit and balanced. What you eat has a strong effect on your body and mind, so diet shouldn’t be overlooked.
A sattvic diet tends to eliminate the food that agitates the mind, makes you feel dull, or hamper the calm and stable state of mind. it starts with a light breakfast, a heavy lunch, and a light dinner. You can always go for small snacks in between the meals.
Moreover, sattvic diet is a more off vegetarian diet that consists of well-cooked, well-spiced, and fresh food. Your diet should have all the five taste that is sweet, sour, bitter, astringent, and pungent.
Down below is a list of food items in a sattvic diet plan.
- Fresh fruit: Your diet should have all the varieties of fruits that have a sweet, sour, bitter, astringent, and pungent taste. Some of the good sattvic fruits are kiwi, apple, prunes, tangerine, bananas, black plum, berries, jackfruit, and pineapple.
- Vegetables: Go for green and leafy vegetables. They are a good source of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. You should choose a different variety of vegetables, never stick yourself to one variety. A few vegetables that fall in this category are artichokes, onion, ginger, garlic, eggplant, squash, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, beans, and kale.
- Grains: Include wholesome grains in your diet. Avoid the highly processed grains. A few good variety grains are barley, buckwheat, quinoa, oat, whole wheat, and rye.
- Legumes – Consume plenty of beans like chickpeas, black beans, lentils like moong daal and peanuts.
- Dairy: This is equally important for your health. Avoid cakes, pastries, mouse and other dessert delicacies prepared with milk. Instead go for seed milk, almond milk, cow milk, goat milk, and hemp milk.
- Natural sweeteners: Try jaggery, stevia or raw honey. Don’t opt for artificial sweeteners or white sugar as they add a lot of calories and are nutrient less.
Benefits Of Being Sattvic
The sattva guna is though difficult to possess but, is extremely beneficial for the healthy rich soul, mind, and body.
Down below we have jotted down few of the prime benefits of being sattvic:
- You will have a healthy body. When you follow sattva, you follow a sattvic diet too. This diet is aimed to abolish all the body imbalances, removal of toxins from the body, and also helps in regulating the body functioning. Such a diet automatically keeps you away from diseases
- You will have a healthy mind. A normal person mind is often cluttered with thoughts like the desire to want more, attraction towards materialistic things, greed, selfishness, stress, anger, anxiety, and jealousy. If you practice sattva slowly and gradually all these symptoms subside on their own. Sattva also makes you peaceful, calm, happy, and patient at mind.
- Sattvic people tend to have healthy positive relationships. The attitude of the sattvic individual is gratitude. They love each other and win others heart through their love and mindfulness.
- Happiness is the key in everybody’s life. sattva takes you to the stage of fulfillment and satisfaction. This kind of lifestyle opens up your mind and make you contended in all aspects.
Sattvic lifestyle and mind is the sole mantra of Ayurveda. Ayurvedic principles suggest this kind of lifestyle will make you lead a happy and healthy life.
It is the required balanced state of the mind, body, and soul. The above guidelines if followed regularly can take you to the sattvic pathway. However, you can not attain this in one day.
A constant regular effort and practice will do the job and eventually make sattva your habit. Try to inculcate slowly and steadily the sattva principles. Moreoff never over pressurizes yourself, if you do that you will hamper your mental state.
The idea is to imbibe sattva in your thought process. Once you start thinking in this manner then automatically you nature, your habits and your mind will turn towards it.