Oiling hair with coconut oil is a good practice but what becomes frustrating is the struggle to take the oil out from the hair. Even after shampooing and conditioning, the oil remains in the hair giving a greasy look.
So, here are some secrets which will tell you about ways of getting coconut oil out of your hair quickly. You will need simple kitchen ingredients to do the same. These ingredients will not only remove the oil but also give you shiny smooth hair just after the wash.
Table of Contents
How To Get Rid Of Coconut Oil Out Of Hair?
1. Soak It Up Using Paper Towels
When there’s nothing at all near you, this one is the easiest way to remove coconut oil from hair without a shampoo.
Grab a few paper towels and press it on your hair. It’ll soak up any excess oil. Try using three to four sheets of paper towel for good results.
2. Use Clarifying Shampoo
One of the simple and most common methods to remove the stuck coconut oil in your hair is by using clarifying shampooing.
Clarifying shampoo are meant for removing the buildup in the hair so they can work for the coconut oil too.1
Rinsing your hair with clarifying shampoo and suitable conditioner will make it look clean, and help in removing oil from it. Prefer going for shampoos made for oily hair.
We would suggest you shampoo your hair twice and then use the conditioner for good results. This is also the most desired way to wash your hair after applying coconut oil.
3. Baking Soda
You can also use baking soda to get coconut oil out of hair. It will remove all the oil and dirt build up in your hair from the roots and will also give you smooth shiny hair.
Take 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda and add sufficient water in it to make a paste. Apply the paste all over your scalp starting from the roots.
The paste should be appropriately applied so that it reaches the bottom of the hair and cover the whole head. Let is sit for good 15 minutes and then Rinse with warm water.
4. Use Dry Shampoo
For an immediate effect, you can use any store bought dry shampoo or use a homemade alternative for soaking up excess oil from hair.
Method To Make A Pure Homemade Dry Shampoo
Dry Shampoo is just like a body talc, except it is supposed to be used on your hair (scalp).
Mix together 1/2 a teaspoon of rice flour, baking flour, uncooked oatmeal, and cornstarch.2 If it has a corse consistency prefer blending in a dry blender to form a smooth powder.
Now, sprinkle the dry shampoo onto your scalp, wait for 5 minutes and then brush it off. You can use this method to get coconut oil of baby hair too.
However, it is better to wash your hair later, so that the dry shampoo doesn’t collect on your scalp and block your pores!
5. Aloe Vera
It is known for its anti-oxidant properties.3 The various minerals, enzymes, and vitamins present are pivotal in removing oil from the hair.
Given below are the steps to use Aloe Vera that’ll help detox your scalp of dirt and oil secretions.
- Take one teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel, and mix it thoroughly with your regular shampoo
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice to the mixture.
- Apply this mixture and let it remain for about 15 minutes, after which, you can wash your hair with lukewarm water.
Another simple way of using Aloe Vera gel is to simply apply the gel to your hair, and wash it off after 15 minutes.
Vinegar is a natural astringent. It can be effectively used to remove coconut oil from your hair and scalp without using a shampoo. The acid in the vinegar aids in the balancing of the pH level of the scalp.
But beware, use only a diluted solution of either apple cider or white vinegar. This helps in reducing the buildup of the oil on your hair and also facilitates soft and shiny hair. Follow the steps given below.
Follow the steps given below.
- Add 2 -3 tablespoons of vinegar in a cup of water.
- Apply this mixture on your hair, and massage it well, so that the mixture reaches the scalp.
- After 10 minutes, wash it off using lukewarm water
7. Use Black Tea
Black tea also, has astringent properties because of the presence of tannic acid. This aids in preventing the build-up of excess oil on the scalp. If you use this remedy twice a week your hair growth would be tremendous.4
- Add 1 teaspoon of black tea leaves in two cups of water.
- After boiling it for about 10 minutes, strain the leaves and allow the decoction to cool down.
- After it reaches the room temperature, apply it generously onto your scalp and hair.
- Allow it to remain for 5 – 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with water.
8. Try Lemon
Lemons are also to remove the coconut oil from your hair. Its juice contains citric acid, which can be used to clean dirt and oil from your hair and skin. It aids to balance the pH level of the scalp.
- Collect juices from two lemons and add it to 2 cups of water.
- For better results, add 3 tablespoons of honey to this mixture.
- Massage this mixture into your scalp and hair, and wash it off after a couple of minutes with lukewarm water.
Lemons are also used to get rid of oily and greased hair.
9. Egg Wash
Eggs have been used to cut through oil and grease. They also have a lot of proteins and vitamins that help to strengthen, thicken and add shine to your hair.
- Beat 1 -2 eggs in a cup and add 2 – 3 tablespoons of water to it.
- Massage this mixture into the hair and scalp, allow it to remain for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse it off. Please keep in mind, Using hot water will coagulate all the proteins present in the egg and will result in a mess.
10. Mint And Rosemary
- Mixing a tablespoon of rosemary sprigs and mint leaves in two cups of boiling water.
- Add lemon juice, from a single lemon into this mixture
- Let is sit on your hair for 10 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
11. Use Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s earth is a clay material that has the property to absorb oils. The minerals present in this also helps in improving the blood circulation in the scalp.
- Make a thick paste using 3 tablespoons of fuller’s earth and water.
- Apply the paste to your hair.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water after 15 – 20 minutes.
The acidic content present in the tomatoes helps to balance the pH level of your scalp. They’ve also proven effective in removing foul odors from your hair, which is commonly associated with coconut oils.
- Take the puree of one tomato, and mix it with one teaspoon of fuller’s earth.
- Apply this mixture on your hair.
- After, half an hour, wash it using cold water,
13. Use Alcohol
Alcohol is a very effective product that you can be used on your hair to get the instant and immediate solution to your oily hair problems. Vodka is the ideal hair tonic for oily hair, and it also aids in balancing the health of scalp.6
- Dilute a cup of vodka with two cups of water.
- Use this alcoholic mixture to rinse off your hair, after shampooing it.
- Allow it to remain for 5 – 10 minutes. Use water to rinse it off.
14. Henna Powder
A smooth paste of henna powder and water can prove to be effective in removing coconut oil from hair. Rinse your hair with water to make your hair clean, soft and shiny. Adding olive oil to the mixture before applying it to the hair, increases its effectiveness.
15. Witch Hazel Oil
Witch Hazel is found to be an effective remedy that works wonders on your hair. It helps you to remove coconut oil from your hair.
- Buy witch hazel oil. Take four drops of the oil, and mix it with two tablespoons of water.
- Soak up this mixture using a cotton ball, and lightly dab it across your hair and scalp.
What’s Wrong With Oily Hair?
Firstly, it looks terrible. It looks unclean, unhealthy and unprofessional to go out with that kind of a hairstyle.
On the other hand, too much oil on your scalp can block all your pores and might result in scratching and itching.
This might further lead to dandruff, hair loss, and follicle breakage. If untreated for a long time, this might result in hair thinning or might even lead to baldness.
So, its advisable to apply coconut oil for about 1 hour and after this wash your thoroughly with shampoo.
Care For Your Hair
You are not advised to wash your hair every day, as it washes up all the oil from the hair, which will lead to drying of hair
Also, whenever you are cleaning/rinsing your hair, it is recommended that you use cold/lukewarm water for the same.
Hot water stimulates the oil-producing glands and will worsen up the situation.7
On the other hand, cold water will not do so, and it will help to close up the hair follicles too.
Lastly, don’t buy any random coconut oil that’s available in the market. Purchase it from a reputed brand only.
Coconut oil is beneficial for hair growth. You should consider oiling your hair once or twice a week for good results.
Removing the oil from hair completely is quite a cumbersome task. But not now, after applying it you have the effective ways above to tackle this problem.
So, go forward and get shiny voluminous hair in a few weeks time.
You Will Also Like Reading:
|↑1||Bouillon C. Shampoos and hair conditioners. Clin Dermatol. 1988;6:83–92.|
|↑2||Abraham LS, Moreira AM, Moura LH, Dias MF. Hair care: A medical overview: Part 1. Surg Cosmet Dermatol. 2009;1:130–6.|
|↑3||Shelton M. Aloe vera, its chemical and therapeutic properties. Int J Dermatol. 1991;30:679–83.|
|↑4||Adeleh Esfandiari and Paul Kelley. The effects of tea polyphenolic compounds on hair loss among rodents. 2005.|
|↑5||Schelz Z., Molnar J., Hohmann J. Antimicrobial and antiplasmid activities of essential oils. Fitoerapia. (2006);77:279–285.|
|↑6||Paul. R. et.al. Influence of alcohol containing and alcohol free cosmetics on FAEE concentrations in hair. A performance evaluation of ethyl palmitate as sole marker, versus the sum of four FAEEs.2018.|
|↑7||Ebling F.J. The hair cycle and its regulation. Clin Dermatol. 1988;6:67–73.|