Pimples on your face may make you feel unattractive, but pimples inside your nose are much worse. Pimples inside the nose can cause a lot of irritation and uneasiness.
Don’t panic, most of these pimples go away with time and some of them need care and treatment. Read more to find out the causes and treatment of these pimples.
- What Causes Pimples Inside The Nose?
- What Are The Causes Of Pimple Inside The Nose:
- Types of Pimples Inside The Nose:
- Symptoms of pimples inside the nose
- How To Prevent Pimples Inside The Nose
- How To Pop Pimple In Nose
- Treatment of Pimples Inside The Nose
- Home Remedies To Cure Pimples Inside the Nose
What Causes Pimples Inside The Nose?
When the pores inside your nose get infected or inflamed it causes painful pimples. One other reason for pimples is blockage of pores due to foreign objects.
Under the surface of your skin, the pores contain an oil producing gland called the sebaceous gland, also this gland produces oil known as sebum that helps keep the hair and skin inside.
Bacteria that is gram positive cultivates and kills all good bacteria, due to overuse of acne antibiotics and the excess use results in overgrowth of gram-positive bacteria inside the nose. Staphylococcus is another species of bad bacteria that causes pimples inside the nose.
What Are The Causes Of Pimple Inside The Nose:
1. Allergic rhinitis:
When you inhale dust and other pollutants, it causes the mucosa in your nose to swell. This clogs the hair follicles and forms pimples in your nose. Symptoms include red and swollen nose and sensitive to touch.
2. Unhygienic surroundings:
You should clean your nose on a daily basis. If you do not clean your nose regularly then it can lead to the growth of viruses or bacteria inside the nose which eventually turns into pimples. Cleaning your nose too violently can also cause bleeding inside the nose.
3. Cavernous sinus thrombosis:
Is a rare pimple inside the nose. This condition forms when an infected furuncle in your nose creates a blood clot in a large vein located at the base of your skull.
4. Nasal polyps:
Nasal polyp is a pimple that forms inside the nose’s cartilage. They are another common cause of a painful pimple inside the nose. Nasal polyps forms as a result of chronic inflammation of the nose’s mucous membrane.
When the bacteria gets into the pores of your nose, it causes irritation, inflammation, and redness that makes the pimples tender and painful, and can lead to this infection. It can also cause one or more red or white bumps which are seen inside the opening of your nostril. Folliculitis is usually caused due to bacteria called Staphylococcus bacteria. Picking or blowing your nose can cause or further increase the condition.
6. Hair Removal:
If you use scissors to trim your nose hair, tiny pimples can form if the sharp edges scratch the surface. New hair follicles that grow after you trim the hair causes irritation, which causes pimples. To treat these pimples, the hair has to be removed.
7. Blocked nose pores:
The nose is the perfect medium for breeding of bacteria because it is always moist and wet therefore this causes pimples inside the nose. Pimples inside a nose are hard to treat as they are hard to locate and the environment inside cannot be changed.
8. Nose Picking:
Most of you might have the habit of picking your nose. This can cause a lot of problems inside your nose.The nerve endings inside your nose are sensitive and can be damaged by frequently inserting the fingers into your nose. This leads to scratches and broken capillaries in your nose which if left untreated form painful pimples.
9. Environmental irritants:
The climatic conditions in you locale are one of the reasons for pimples. There are a lot of chemicals pollutants and dust debris in the air. These get absorbed by cells in the nose causing pimples that form after hours of exposure.
10. Nasal furuncles:
This bacterial infection that can cause a pimple inside the nose is called nasal furuncles. These infections take a while to disappear after they show up inside the nose. Nasal furuncles are serious since they can cause cellulitis, which is a skin infection that can spread to your bloodstream.
One of the main causes for pimples is an infection. This is caused due to trimming nose hair, blowing your nose too often or picking your nose. At an early stage, the pimple is reddish and firm, but as the infection progresses, it becomes more red and painful and fills with pus. This results in mucosal lesions. These lesions help the bacteria break the natural protection of your body and cause infections.
12. Hormonal disorders:
Hormonal disorders in teenagers and pregnant women are very common causes of the pimple formation inside nostrils.
13. Stress and unhealthy lifestyle:
Unhealthy diet and stress can cause pimples in your nostrils. Eating unhealthy, oil-rich food facilitates the growth of bacteria. High-stress levels disrupt the hormone cycle which aids the formation of pimples inside the nostrils.
Sinusitis is also known to cause bumps inside the nose. It results in inflamed and clogged nose that produces excess mucus. It is caused due to various allergic reactions.
Types of Pimples Inside The Nose:
1. A normal pimple inside the nose
Pimples in the nose are mostly caused due to ingrown hairs. When the hair is trimmed or removed, the new hair gets trapped beneath the surface of the skin which causes irritation and infection. If you do not treat these pimples, they get inflamed and leave a scar.
2. A pimple in Nose with no Head
Pimples that develop under the skin and have no tip are called blind pimples. They are called so because they don’t have a head. These pimples are very painful as they develop deeper into the skin near the nerve. They look like a swollen bump inside the nose.
Digestive system problems like poor absorption of nutrients can cause a pimple to appear inside the nose.
A pimple in the nose can also result from folliculitis. This is infection is caused by Staphylococcus bacteria. Other types of bacteria and pathogenic microorganisms also cause such pimples.
3. A pimple in Nose Swelling
Swollen pimples are caused due to bacterial infections. Symptoms include swelling, inflammation, redness, and sensitivity.
Swelling and inflammations can increase if you take drugs that are not prescribed by your doctors.
Symptoms of pimples inside the nose
Symptoms of pimples inside the nose are:
- High fever
- Inflamed nose
- Red skin
- Swollen nose
- Pain on the affected area
- Itching sensation
- Blocked nose
- Tenderness in the affected area
- Impaired sense of smell
- Discomfort and tiredness
How To Prevent Pimples Inside The Nose
You can prevent getting pimples by accessing your skin type. If you have oily skin, you are more prone to get pimples. Make sure to keep your nose clean as much as possible also, wash your nose and apply some moisturizer or lotion that contains salicylic acid. Use scrubs to clean your nose as they will help to clear clogged pores.
1. Avoid inserting your fingers in your nose or any other object as it may lead to bleeding which results in infection. If you wish to do so, do it with a soaked cotton swab and gently clean your nose.
2. Don’t blow your nose too hard when you want to sneeze. Instead, do so gently.
3. To reduce the pain from poking your nose, apply ice packs in a zip lock bag or towel on the nose. You can do this for 15 – 20 minutes 3 times daily. This will help relieve you of your pain.
4. Try not to block your nose with cotton. The air circulation gets blocked and bacteria and germs cultivate inside your nose.
5. If you get pimples because of allergies or sinusitis, use nasal sprays, nasal decongestants, and antihistamines that are prescribed by your doctor. But if the problem does not go away after 3 days, get yourself checked by a doctor.
6. If you are in the habit of consuming alcohol or are a chain smoker, you are at a higher risk of getting infections.
7. To avoid triggering other allergic reactions, you should refrain from inhaling dust, pollen or other such polluted substances. Use masks made of cotton while travelling to polluted places.
8. Use extra pillows. Put an extra pillow under your head when you sleep. This will drain the mucous from your nose and will allow you to breathe comfortably.
9. If at all, you get pimples in your nose, it is advisable that you do not squeeze the pimples inside the nostrils. This practice can lead to further infection and aggravation of pain
10. To help take care of it, clean your nostrils using a cotton swab that has been dipped in an astringent. This will break down the bacteria that forms in your nose and prevents the formation of newer pimples.
How To Pop Pimple In Nose
- Pimples inside the nose are extremely painful due to their location of a pimple and are difficult to pop it.
- If you do not pop a pimple carefully, it can result in damage to blood capillaries or an infection in the nose.
- Apply a warm compress over a pimple. Then take some cotton and push it on both the sides of a pimple till the pus comes out.
- Wipe off the discharge using a cotton swab. Apply some antibacterial ointment on it to prevent bacterial infections.
Treatment of Pimples Inside The Nose
Making the pimples on your nose disappear can be time-consuming. There are no quick remedies to them but you can try you of these techniques to reduce their visibility in the easiest and healthy way.
1. Clean your nostrils at least two times in a day using warm water. You can use a mild facial cleanser instead of warm water. The water or cleanser will remove oil, bacteria, and dirt from the pores of your nose. The area will become clean and you can avoid recurrence.
2. Do not touch your pimples with your hands. Your hands are a host to various germs and bacteria. Touching the pimples with your hands will pop those pimples. Squeezing and picking the spot will spread the infection in your nostrils, to other places. It might be tempting to touch the pimples or you may have an itching sensation around the area, but refrain from touching it. If you touch other parts of your face after touching the pimple, the bacteria will spread to other parts of the face and increase the number of pimples in your nose.
3. You can use tea tree based products. They remove the dirt from the pores of your nose. They work well when applied on the face daily. It removes dust and bacterial infection and reduces the size of a pimple quickly.
4. Apply ice on the pimple in your nostril as it can help to reduce swelling. Wrap a piece of cloth around the ice instead of applying the ice directly on the pimple may burn it. Repeat it at intervals of thirty minutes using a new piece each time.
5. Homeopathy is a good alternative to antibiotics. Do consult a doctor to access the cause of the pimples inside your nose. Some of the remedies include graphite, sulfur, Lachesis, HEPA sulphurize, and Arsenicum.
6. Using good fatty acids in your diet will reduce inflammation and acne inside your nostrils. Try to include food rich in Omega-3s oil such as flaxseeds and flaxseed oil, fish like salmon, sardines, and mackerel.
7. Probiotics replenish the good bacteria that get destroyed due to excessive intake of antibiotics.Take good quality probiotic supplements from time to time to avoid pimples and acne also, food like kimchi, kefir, and miso help replenishes the good bacteria naturally.
The above-mentioned diseases may not be the reasons for the pimples in your nose. You should also completely give up smoking and drinking alcohol, this can indeed result in the pus in your pimple leaking into your skin or even into the bloodstream, which is much worse. This is followed by re-infection in your nose which spreads all over your face. If you get a pimple in your nose again, you may try to eliminate it with traditional recopies. But do consult a doctor if it gets worse.
Home Remedies To Cure Pimples Inside the Nose
1. Ice Cubes
Ice cubes cause oil organs to contract which pushes out oils and microbes. Blood circulation around the affected area is boosted by ice and hence the skin is purified.
Wrap the ice in a piece of cloth and place it on the area affected for a couple of minutes. Then repeat the process for a few times for better results. In a day to two, the pimple will begin to fade away.
This method works best on pimples which have not fully developed.
2. Use Steam
Steam cleans your pores and flushes out oils, microbes, and bacteria that is present in your pimple. Steam also opens pores of your skin, allowing better air circulation in the affected area.
Fill a container with hot water. Once the water is warm enough, wrap a towel around your face and place yourself over the pot, allowing the steam enter your nostrils. Keep the pot like this for 30 minutes or until the steam disappears. Then rinse your nostrils and face. Dry your face using a soft cloth and wait for 30 minutes before applying an oil-free moisturizer.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has an antibacterial property that helps to fight all microbes in a pimple. It’s a natural oil extract with soothing properties that help in minimizing redness of your pimples, their further growth and eliminates whiteheads and dries out pimples.
i) Soak a piece of cotton in the tea tree oil and dab it on the pimple inside your nostrils. Wait for about 15-20 minutes and then wash it off.
ii) You can also blend tea tree oil with 1 tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel. Apply this solution on the affected area in your nose for 20 minutes and then wash your nostrils thoroughly. It can get rid of the pimples within a day.
Tea tree oil is not recommended if you have sensitive skin.
4. Undiluted Apple Cider Vinegar For Cure Pimples Inside Nose
Apple Cider Vinegar can take care of pimples that do not go away with light treatment. It is a permanent solution and helps in reducing the swelling and inflammation of acne as well as Whitehead or blackheads.
Apple Cider Vinegar can cause some irritation, unlike other remedies. So it is not recommended to try this method if a pimple in your nose can be removed by other methods.
Neem has antifungal, antibacterial and blood purifying properties that aids in getting rid of a pimple and helps avoid recurrence.
5. Neem and turmeric
i) 2 to 3 leaves of neem
ii) Half teaspoon turmeric
Grind 2 to 3 leaves of neem and add a half teaspoon of turmeric in it. Apply the paste on pimple in your nostrils and then rinse off with lukewarm water. You can also chew two leaves of neem with an empty stomach to purify the blood and prevents pimples.
Garlic contains antibacterial, antiviral and cell reinforcement properties that can help heal your pimples. It contains sulfur which promotes mending of your pimples.
i) Cut a fresh garlic clove and rub the garlic on the pimple in your nose. Leave it for 5 minutes and then wash off your nostrils with lukewarm water. Repeat the process during the day for better results. The pimples will soon dry out and your pores will be cleaned.
ii) You can include fresh garlic in your diet each day as it helps in purifying blood also, eating raw garlic can decrease your acne, murky spots and pimples.
Papaya contains a protein that releases antibacterial agents in your body. It is usually used for various skin and hair treatments. It contains compounds that help diminish irritation caused due to a pimple inside your nose, making your skin delicate and smooth.
Make a paste of crushed papaya and apply it over a pimple. Then wait for about 30 minutes before rinsing off with water. Repeat the process once or twice a day quick results.
Include papaya in your diet as it will purify your system and stop pimples from occurring.
Honey is a natural antibiotic that can shrink the size of your pimple and heal it. It plays an important part in preventing bacterial and viral infections.
Dip a cotton swab in honey. Place the soaked swab in a pimple and leave it for 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. You can do this 3 to 5 times a day for maximum results.
ii) Honey and cinnamon
Mix cinnamon and honey together to make a paste and apply the paste on the pimple before going to bed. Wash it off the next morning. Clean your nose with cold water and repeat the process the next day. The swelling and inflammation will reduce the next morning. If a pimple does not go away, it may be because of an underlying skin issue. In this case, it is advisable for you to visit your doctor.
9. Lemon Juice
Lemon contains acidic properties that clean, dry and reduces the size of a pimple within a day or two.
Squeeze out few drops of lemon juice into a bowl. Take a cotton swab and soak it with the lemon juice. Gently apply the swab on the pimple in your nose and leave it for 15 means before you wash it off.
Apply some white toothpaste over the affected area before going to bed. Wash it off the next morning to see some improvement in swelling. Repeat the process the next day for better results. Make sure that the toothpaste remains on the pimple for more than an hour.
Toothpaste gives better results compared to ice. Don’t use gel toothpaste, use only the white toothpaste.
11. Listerine Mouth Wash
Listerine has antibacterial properties which destroy accumulated bacteria in your pimple. It also helps in reducing inflammation and further growth of a pimple.
i) Dip a swab of cotton in a few drops of the solution and dab it on the pimple in your nose. Wash off the paste from your nostrils after 10 minutes.
ii) When using this remedy, use the original Listerine mouthwash as other flavours contain agents which may cause irritation to your skin.
12. Egg Whites
Egg whites can be used as a home remedy for acne and pimples that occur in your nose.
Separate egg whites from the egg yolk, then, take a cotton swab, dip it in the egg whites and place the egg whites and place it on the pimple in your nose. Leave the egg whites on the pimple for about an hour and then rinse off your nostrils.
13. Baking Soda
Baking soda helps exfoliate the skin. It also gets rid of the excess oil, skin, and dirt from your skin.
i) Mix baking soda with lemon juice until you make a thick paste. Apply the paste on the affected area in your nose. Let it dry for a few minutes and then wash your nostrils with warm water after the paste has dried.
ii) You may have to do this twice a day every day for maximum results.
Sandalwood consists of anti- bacterial as well as cooling properties. It also has a cooling effect on your skin and gives relief from inflammation and other sores.
Apply sandalwood paste inside the nose and its cooling effect will give you relief from pain. Rinse off the paste after a few minutes. Repeat the process for a few days until pimples inside your nose disappear.
15. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is used in many pimples reducing cosmetic products due to its pimple clearing properties.
i) Take fresh Aloe Vera gel and apply it on the pimple inside your nose. Repeat this process twice a day for better results.
ii) Aloe Vera not only cures pimples but also prevents them from occurring again.
Pimples have an irritating nature, especially inside the nose. While most of them do not require specific medical attention and can be treated easily at home, some can be a little stubborn. Hopefully, these remedies will ease your pain and help you in any way possible.