You might be familiar with Sunburn Blisters but you don’t know it can also occur on lips. It is one of a common problem that happens in summers. Sunburned lip blisters heal by itself but the process of healing can speed up or delayed.
Discover few effective home remedies which fasten the process of healing of sun burnt lips blister.
Fair skinners are likely to have more susceptible than darker skin because of melanin. It’s last for approx 10 days.
What Are Sunburn Lip Blisters?
All the sunburn leads to irritation, redness, and swallowing of skin. In the same way, when lips are burnt, they swell up and cause irritation and mild pain.
When sunburned skin is not cooled down or treated, blisters occur on it. Blisters are small sores that cause pain, burning or itching.
Cause of Sunburned Lip Blisters
The excessive exposing of lips to the sun without any protection or use of moisture cause can damage to lips. The ultraviolet rays of the sun damage the upper skin of lips and drain the moisture from it. We call this situation as ‘sunburn’.
Blisters occur because of virus Herpes simplex virus. The virus lies inactive in the body and becomes active due to sunburn, stress or fever.
Types Of Herpes Simplex Virus
1. Herpes simplex virus type- 1
2. Herpes simplex virus type-2
Herpes simplex virus type -1 is a cause of lip blisters. Children often carry this virus from infected parents or another infected person. They can carry this virus for rest of their lives. It spreads generally from physical contact like eating from the same utensil, kissing or using lip balms.
It is possible to have herpes simplex virus type 2 from type-1 if a person performs sexual activities. Also, it is believed that with age lip blister stop appearing because body creates antibodies for it.
Symptoms Of Sunburn Lip Blisters
i) Burning sensation on lips
ii) Lips turn into pinkish or light red shade.
iii) Mild pain if touched
iv) Dryness due to burn
vi) The Bleeding from splits
How To Get Rid Of Sun burnt Lips Blisters Naturally
1. Cold compress
It is necessary to cool down the sunburned lip to ease the pain and swallowing. Take a clean and soft towel and soak it in cold ice water. Keep the wet towel on lips until it warms up. Do it for 4-5 minutes or until its pain lesser.
2. Aloe Vera
The most efficient and organic gel to ease the pain. If you own an aloe Vera plant just cut it one leaf. Keep it in a fridge for few minute to cool it down. Squeeze it and apply its gel on lips.
3. Coconut oil
There many benefits of coconut oil and among its hydrating property. It reached in the skin and help in healing it.
4. Cucumber slices
Cucumber slices work as the cool compressor. It also fights dark spots on lips created due to sunburn.
Tomato has lycopene which fights against the effect of ultraviolet rays of the sun. It keeps us protected from sunburn and also heals the skin if it is sunburnt. Take one mashed tomato mixed it with ice and apply on the sunburnt lips.
Potato has property to lighten the lip complexion and it heals the sunburn quickly. Cut 1 potato and blend it in mixer applies the paste on affected area.
Apple cider vinegar and white vinegar both are helpful in treating sunburn. Take 1 cup of ice cold water and add 1 cup of vinegar of your choice in it. Dip a soft towel in it and use it on sunburn area. It will absorb pain and relieve pain.
Oatmeal soothes redness of skin and heals blisters. Take oatmeal in a muslin cloth and make it as a pouch. Boil it in water for 2-3 minutes and cool it down. Now use it as a sponge and dip it in cold water, apply on sunburn.
Turmeric has antiseptic property ahelpselp in alleviating pain and swallowing. Take 2 tablespoon turmeric in 1 tablespoon yoghurt and apply on affected area.
10. Baking soda
Baking soda is an alkaline and has antiseptic properties it relieves from itching of blisters. Take 1 tablespoon baking soda with few drops of icy water and apply on lips.
It is one of famous sunburn reliever. It fights against further consequences of sunburn and relieves pain from the sensation. Simply dip chamomile tea bags in water and spray it on lips.
12. Lettuce leaves
This salad component is also beneficial for fighting against pain and provides coolness. You can refrigerate lettuce leaves for few hours and apply on lips.
13. Cold Milk
It soothes the skin and relieves the pain. Dip a cotton ball in cold milk and apply on a blister.
I know it sounds awkward but toothpaste contains Sodium lauryl sulphate which drains the blisters. Simply apply it on blisters until it dry.
15. Egg and yoghurt
Take yoghurt white and mix it with yoghurt and apply on blister for quick healing.
Onion has anti- inflammation property. Take one slice of onion and apply on blister for few minutes.
17. Tea tree oil
The famous tea tree oil is also beneficial for curing lip blisters. Dilute it with enough water and apply on a blister. It prevents from worsening of blisters.
Garlic has antibiotic property. It kills bacteria and prevents from worsening of blisters. Make a paste of 2-3 cloves of garlic and apply on a blister.
Treatment Of Sunburn Lip Blisters
- Drink plenty of water to keep the body hydrated. It also helps in healing of blisters.
- Keep blister alone, don’t touch it with fingers, teeth or tongue. Touching the blister can give new sites to a virus for the occurrence.
- Don’t try to pop it; it causes pain and irritation more.
- Help in draining of blisters by not applying moisturiser or oil over it.
- You can apply antibiotic creams to speed up the process of healing.
- Don’t cover it with any bandage or cloth; blisters heal faster when exposed to air. The healing process of blisters depends on from person to person. Small blisters heal faster than a large one.
- Vitamin E heals the blisters faster due to it skin smoothing property.
- Applying cornstarch and camphor lessen the blister duration.
- Try to use a lemon balm to relieve the pain and lessen the burn dark spots.
- You can have ibuprofen if it causes excessive pain.
How To Avoid Sun Burn Lips Blister
- Drink plenty of water and juices to keep the body hydrated. It will heal the sunburned lips and avoid blister formation.
- You need to apply SPF-containing lotions and lip balms half an hour before going out. Creams and balms need time to absorb.
- Avoid excessive exposure of lip to the sun. Use hats and caps to avoid direct exposure on your skin and lips.
- Don’t drink too hot beverages and avoid taking hot showers or steam bath.
- Make a habit of not using anyone else skin products. Don’t apply someone balms or lipsticks.
- Apply Moisturiser to keep the lip smooth and protected from ultraviolet sun rays.
- Keep distances from the person who is having a blister. Blisters are contagious; avoid shaking hands and sitting too close to the person.
- Avoid going out in day time or excessive sunlight. Choose the day – a when, when sun rays are not intense i.e. 10, m – 4 pm.
- Change your toothbrush once blisters are disappeared for a further occurrence.
Common Question Related To Lip Blisters
1. Cold sores and sunburned lip blisters are the same things?
Yes, they both cause due to the herpes virus. Herpes virus becomes active with sunburn, fever and cold. Cold sores and sunburned lip blisters have the same kind of treatment and precautions.
2. Are lip blisters contagious?
Yes, lip blister virus can spread and can remain in person for rest of their lives. Lip blister virus spread before its time of bursting. It can also cause genital herpes in some cases.
3. Is there any permanent cure?
No, there is no permanent cure. The virus can remain inactive in nerves cell of person. Precaution should be taken to stop occurring of blisters.
4. Is herpes hereditary?
No, parents transmit this virus not genetically but from physical touch after the birth of a baby. A parent having lip blister touches kissed or eat from the same utensil can spread this virus.
5. What if remain it remains more 10 days?
You need to consult a doctor. More or less 10 days are considered enough time for the herpes virus course. In some cases when the situation of blisters is worsened, it remains for 15 days or more.
6. Can I use hot water to clean the blisters?
No, Hot water should be avoided. It can worsen the blister condition. Moreover, it can increase the size of the blister. Even the blister occurs due to cold, using hot water is a bad idea. Use room temperature or cold water to clean blisters.
7. Sunburn rash and lip blisters are the same things?
No, sunburn lip blisters occur due to virus herpes but sunburn rash on lips occur only because of harmful ultra violet rays of the sun. Sunburn rash can cause lip blisters if you have an inactive herpes virus.