Tan lines? You have ended up in a correct place. In this article, you will read about ways in which you can avoid and eliminate tan lines using natural remedies.
Walking out in the sun can turn out to be anybody’s worst nightmare when the excess vitamin D flows through your skin.
Excess exposure of skin to the sun can cause stubborn tan lines and even worse sunburns; here we will keep our focus on tan lines.
These dark stubborn lines on the skin not only hamper your skin but also lowers down your self-confidence. Even I feel like shouting and screaming on top of my voice whenever I see a tan line (I seriously go mad).
So to remove them I did some research on the www and nearby people of course and found out some amazing techniques to solve the problem.
You must know if you want to get rid of them then you have to make certain efforts which I will make a bit simpler for you.
So watch out for your favorite dress, get ready to have a perfectly flawless bikini ready skin and say goodbye to tan lines.
Table of Contents
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Tan Lines
Okay, now that you know what you have to so before going out in the sun and how to hide away the tan lines, let us study some ways by which you can remove them.
To understand how this works, you need to understand the meaning of exfoliation. When you exfoliate your skin, you are removing the layer of dead skin cells which accumulate over your skin.
So now it is very clear how it helps to remove the tan lines. Scrubbing not only helps to lighten tan lines but also increase the process of fading.
You can either buy a nice scrub for the same if you have enough money and are fond of chemicals or you can make your own at home.
If You Want To Make Your Scrub, The Following Are Some Recipes
- Just mix a cup of brown sugar in 1 tablespoon olive oil.Your natural scrub is ready!! Rub this mixture gently over your skin and wash it with normal water. You can also add lemon juice to this mixture; it works as a natural bleaching agent.
- Another one is, take two tsp of crushed rice and add a half cup of coconut oil to it. This scrub is used after you bathe, i.e. when the skin is still wet. Massage it gently over your skin. Wash off with warm water and then pour cold water over it, it helps to close the pores.
- Another one, in this you would need almonds. Mix 1 tsp lemon juice with two tsp honey and three tsp ground almonds. These are the main ingredients; along with this add 1 or 1 and a half spoon of almond oil, which makes a paste. Now that the scrub is ready, you know what to do.
Here is advice, whenever you use a scrub, wash it with warm water and then pour cold water over the skin. This helps to close the pores and increases the benefits of scrubbing.
Exfoliation can also be done before applying any sunscreen. I prefer doing that because it helps to remove the dark layer of skin, and the sunscreen then protects the new layer.
2. Baking Soda
You can call this ‘The Magic Ingredient’ when it comes to removing tan lines. All you need to do is mix baking soda with water to form a paste-like structure. Apply this over your skin and let it work for 10-15 minutes depending on your skin type.
Sensitive skin holders may keep for 10 minutes while the ones with normal skin for 15 minutes and then don’t forget to drop your reviews.
3. Lemon Juice
How can we forget about nature’s best bleaching agent while removing any skin darkening?
Of course not, mix fresh lemon juice with honey and apply it over the tanned area for 20-25 minutes.
Honey is added for the purpose of moisturization. Avoid this therapy in case of any kinds of cuts or burns.
4. Aloe-Vera Gel
As baking soda is the magic ingredient for tan lines, Aloe-vera is the magic ingredient for the skin.
It contains certain antioxidants which help to repair damaged skin and also help in skin lightening. You will need fresh aloe-vera gel for the same as fresh is the best!!
So get some fresh aloe vera gel (you can get that by breaking the green portion of the aloe-vera plant) and apply it over the affected area, let it stay for 10-15 minutes.
The best part about aloe-vera is, it does not have any side effect on any skin.
Lemon works well because of the excess vitamin C they have, but they have to be mixed with honey for moisture content.
Cucumber contains vitamin C along with moisture that means no requirement for any additional component. Also, Cucumber has a cooling effect, so it also provides rejuvenation to the damaged skin cells.
Grate cucumber and then rub the grated portion over the affected area, or you can even squeeze the grated cucumber and rub the juice over the affected area and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
6. Gram Flour
This is one of the quickest ways to get rid of tan lines. Mix gram flour with rose water and rub it on the affected area.
After you rub if for about 4-5 minutes, let it work for 10-15 minutes and then wash if with water. If you have sensitive skin, then be soft with the rubbing part.
This is another very beneficial product for the removal of tan lines. It even works well with skin burns. It not only removes the tan lines but also makes your skin glowing and shiny. Mix
Mix milk cream with turmeric and make a paste like structure. Apply this paste over the affected area and let it be there for about 10-15 minutes. It is best for the sensitive and non-oily skin.
Even potatoes can work well for the removal of tan lines, but they are preferred for removing the white patches on the skin that means to even out the skin tone.
Now the procedure to use potatoes is same as that of cucumber. Grate them and apply. This makes your skin glowing.
9. Black Tea
Contrary to its name black tea helps in the removal of black tan lines on the skin. This method is extra beneficial in case of burns; in the case of just tan lines, you might like to prefer any of the above methods.
To use black tea, make a cup of black tea and add ice to it, to make black tea, boil tea in water and let it cool, add ice to make it chilled.
Then put this solution in a spray can. Then spray it over the affected area after you bathe, it obviously helps to fade out tan lines and also soothes the skin.
But before you begin I must tell you; it takes time for tan lines to heal so you will need patience.
General Guidelines For Tan Lines
1. Hide And Show Your Skin At The Same Time
The summer dresses are irresistible, but they are an evil in disguise if we talk about tan lines. Now I will tell you some smart tricks where you can wear these summer dresses and show your beautiful skin without tanning it.
Prefer crop tops over off-shoulder tops, want to wear shorts? Wear transparent or skin colored stockings along and same goes along with skirts.
Do not forget to use an efficient sunscreen 30 minutes before stepping out into the sun.
Be careful while selecting the type of sunscreen because it strictly depends on your skin type. So this way you can hide and show your skin at the same time.
2. Stay Covered
Well, this is very obvious, whenever you are not supposed to be very fashionable or even when you are heading towards any event try to keep yourself covered.
You can use a scarf and gloves and don’t worry about hair and make-up; you can always go for a touch-up. Because precaution is always better than cure, it is best to avoid tan lines.
3. Hide Them
If you have to wear a particular dress which is exposing your tan lines, then there is a temporary alternative you can try. Try make-up; you can use a combination of foundation along with a bronzer to hide the tan lines.
Before you apply makeup to make sure that you clean the area properly and apply a neat layer of moisturizer or preferably a sunscreen.
Apply foundation over the area, but be very careful while selecting the color of foundation. Spread it evenly and over that apply concealer (in less quantity) to match your skin color, this is mostly used in case of fairer skin.
Finally, you need a pinkish shade bronzer to apply over the base you just made, this gives you a tan look, that is going to appear normal and not like makeup covered. Wait for a minute so that the bronzer dries.
If you want this makeup to stay long, then mix talcum along with your liquid foundation.
While applying makeup, be careful as your dress can spoil due to spots, so keep minimum contacts with the dress.
I don’t always suggest this makeup thing, but it always works well in case of urgency.
Tips To Reduce Tan Lines
These were the ways to remove tan lines; here are some tips which will help you to treat them better.
- You need to be very careful while selecting makeup products. There are specific products depending on the type of tanning you have. If I tell you about concealers and foundation, you should choose a yellow-based concealer or foundation if your skin is reddish after the tan and otherwise a red based.
- If your skin has turned reddish and is more of a burn, then you should not exfoliate because that can damage the skin even more. It is best to leave it like that and let it heal itself. For cooling effect you can use aloe vera gel, it rejuvenates the skin.
- Never forget to use your sunscreen before stepping out in the sun. And give at least 30 minutes for the sunscreen to settle. I am stressing on this point again and again because this is very essential. And just like make-up, you should select sunscreen depending on your skin type especially people with oily skin because application of many sunscreens causes excess oil on the face.
- If you are using a self-tanner (which I will not suggest because I prefer using natural remedies) then don’t forget to remove it using a toner.
- If the tanning persists, after all, the efforts or the sun burns are severe then I would strongly suggest you to visit a dermatologist because these burns may become permanent if not taken care of.
- Exfoliation should be done once a week or if you have oily skin then twice. Too much scrubbing is not good for the skin.
- As I mentioned earlier, tan lines need time to heal. It will require at least two weeks for them to get back to normal. So you need to be patient.
- You can always use artificial products like exfoliants, but it is best to use natural products because they do not have any side effects. It is best to always do a patch test even with natural products because you never know what can cause allergy.
- Avoid going into the sun between 11 am to 3 pm because that is the hottest time of the day.
- Another crazy way of avoiding tan lines is to get your whole body tanned. Making myself clearer, try for nude beaches. This may sound crazy, but people practice this in the USA. But experts say that this may harm your sensitive parts so take care.
- Also, if you have enough time and money you can always go to a parlor and save all the time and effort but as I always say, homemade is the best made.
This is all the information I have for covering and removing your tan lines. They worked for me and many others.
I hope it works for you too; your reviews are always welcomed and appreciated.