Jal Neti yoga became one of the oldest methods to cure the nasal passage and respiratory system.
This natural technique can remove all the toxins. It can also provide clearer passage for proper breathing. Not just that, it is widely advised and vouched upon by the yogis.
This has been in practice for centuries now. This is a popular method amongst yoga practitioners.In this article, we will talk more in detail about anything and everything you need to know about Jal Neti.
What Is Jal Neti?
Hata Yoga has almost six purification methods. And one of them is Neti.
It essentially helps in cleaning the impurities caused by sinuses. Secondly, it also clears away the dirt, infections, and inflammation caused by it.
So, by using this method you clean your nostrils and also your respiratory system.Jal Neti purifies your throat and nasal passage using saline water mostly.
How To Do Jal Neti At Home?
The most and the only ingredient here is saline water. And it should be prepared carefully.
Things to do before performing the yoga are:
- Water should be Luke warm, warm enough just like your body temperature.
- Water should never be cold for new users.
- Add a pinch of salt; say 5 tbsp. in half a liter of water.
- Take a Jal Neti pot with a long nozzle but small opening, small enough to fit inside your nostril.
Now that everything is prepared, put the saline water inside the pot. And stay calm.
1. Either you stand with your legs apart, bending in the front.
2. Or sit and perform this to be more steady and calm.
3. Tilt your head to the right and bend your spine too.
4. Put the nozzle in your left nostril slowly and pour in the water.
5. Keep your mouth open; avoid breathing through your nostrils.
6. Water will slowly release out of the other nostril till the pot empties.
7. Adjust the alignment of your head according to the position of the nozzle so that there is an easy flow of water.
8.Repeat the process for the nostril.
Jal Neti Pot
The Jal Neti Pot is used to create a subtle vacuum inside the nostrils for easy flow of the mucus and dirt out of the passage. The water flow should be smooth to release more toxins with no blockage. For this, a special spout needs to be inserted for the right amount of water pressure.
Also, the amount of water should be in small quantity. Hence, the small nozzle is necessary. The water should never overflow from the container neither should the nozzle exert more or less water pressure.
For this, the Jal Neti pot is appropriate for the yoga. Previously, other appliances have been used for this purpose yielding no successful results.This pot is neither difficult to find nor is expensive.
But, do remember few points before using this,
- The volume of the pot should not be over 150oz or 500 ml. It should be able to hold this much of water for the required amount of pressure.
- The spout should have a tempered end to prevent overflowing of water.
What Kind Of Salt Should Be Used In Jal Neti Yoga?
There are lots of salts available in the market. But all of them are not meant for this yoga.
Sea salt is the best option. It neither irritates nor has any other minerals that can harm you. Try using this one only.
Rock salt is very hard crystallized salt particles full of different minerals. Although it is good for cooking, it is never advised to use it for Jal Neti.
Vegetable salt is a mixture of spices, compound mixtures, herbs and other cooking ingredients. It is unsuitable for your nostrils.
Cooking salt has no such harm. But they are not as granulated as sea salts, so try to avoid this too. Otherwise grind the salt further before application.
Kosher salt and Macrobiotic salt can be used in replacement of sea salt.
Can I Use Table Salt For Neti Pot?
Table salt is rich in silicon, aluminum, iodine. It is another form of cooking salt with fewer lumps.
Although there are no harms in using table salts, it is well advised to avoid it. If needed, try one that is finely granulated for even dissolving.
There are few things to remember before and after performing Jal Neti.
First, know why we use salt in the water. Salt helps in equating the osmotic pressure of the body and the water. And this leads to less irritation or disturbance during performing the yoga.
Secondly, the water should never be colder than your body temperature because it can lead to a burning sensation for first time users. Others can use cold water but are highly not recommended.
Third, after doing the yoga see if your nostrils are dry now. If not you might feel irritation or burning sensation. There is nothing to be worried about that.
Fourth, if there is still some moisture left, try doing KapalbhatiPranayam to remove the extra water.Do a child-pose to clear out all the moisture and relax.
Health Benefits Of Jal Neti Yoga
There are many benefits of using this method at home.
- In the first place, it can clear out the dirt and infections present in the mucus of your nostrils.
- Also removes any other blockage to prevent sinuses. It stops hay fever and other nasal allergies.
- As a matter of fact, it helps you in breathing too, by clearing your respiratory system. So, helps in improving breathing problems such as asthma, bronchitis.
- Furthermore, it reduces your chances of having a migraine attack, hysteria, epilepsy temper tantrums and others.
- In the same way, sore throat, dry coughs, inflammation of nostrils can be alleviated.
- It helps in quitting narcotic addiction such as smoking cigarettes and others.
- Not only that, it helps in digestion and other hormonal systems. It helps in proper food digestion.
- It helps in activating olfactory nerves. It makes you smell better and even tastes better.
- Just like most yoga, this too calms your mind, clears your head and gives you a fresh outlook, a positive vibe.
- Not for the nose, it works wonders for your eyes and ears. The tear ducts get flushed out clearing the vision mostly and also giving a sparkle in the eye.
- For ears, it cures tinnitus, middle ear syndrome etc.
- It can also be used for anger management. It works as a cooling mechanism to calm your head and release stress.
Side Effects Of Jal Neti
This method has no serious side effects unless performed properly.
So the very few side effects are:
People who suffer from nose bleeding and use this treatment might worsen the case. The incorrect concentration of the saline water may cause irritation and sensations, leading to more leakage of blood.
2. Nasal Side Effects
When the saline water is warmer than required or has more salt than necessary can make the nostrils disturb with burning sensations, irritations and others. It leads to more sneezing and itchiness.
3. Ear And Eye Infection
When the saline water reaches inside your nostrils and beyond it might cause dizziness and earache. The eyes might dry out more than preferred.
4. Other Health Conditions
People already suffering from a health condition, might have more side effects than anyone else. Patients fighting with cystic fibrosis have complained about throat irritation, coughing, chest tightness and coughing with blood in it.
Precautions For Jal Neti
1.The Jalneti pot should be neat and clean to avoid bacterial infections.
2. Avoid this if you have a severe cold or an earache.
3. People with high blood pressure should be careful with this. It’s advised to perform the yoga while standing for more stability.
4. The nose should be made dry immediately to avoid further infections.
5. It can be used regularly, and not when having a nasal blockage.
But remember, only once a day goes well and don’t overdo it.
6. The best salt used for saline is sea salt and no alternative should be entertained.
7. First-timers should do this under supervision.
Like the many yoga exercises that are out there, treat this one with the same importance. Do not be afraid of this due to its strange requirements. But seize the opportunity to improve your health.
Its benefits are more in number and can have a better impact on your health. It can cure your nasal blockage and other problems such as asthma, addiction, and others. Do this religiously to see the effects.