Jatamanshi is known to be useful in strengthening the nervous system, preventing greying of hair, boosting memory, eliminating intestinal worms, improves the function of the liver and many more.
Since centuries, Jatamansi has been used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat various diseases like hysteria, convulsions, and epilepsy.
Its rhizomes have been used as a tonic. The root has been used since ages to treat insomnia and blood, circulatory, and mental disorders.
Jatamansi has also been used In the Unani system of medicine. It has been used as a heptatonic, cardiotonic, analgesic, and diuretic. The plant is of great economic value and has been used to produce perfumes and dyes.
Let’s get to know the life-saving herb – Jatamanshi
Table of Contents
What Is Jatamansi
Jatamansi as a plant has a great history of medicinal use. It has been valued for centuries in Ayurvedic which is the Indian medicine system and also in Unani that is the ancient Greco-Arab system of medicine.
Jatamansi is a supposedly calming herb from Ayurveda that has been used for anticonvulsive, antiepileptic and various beneficial properties.It is known to enhance memory & learning in youth. It is known to be protective against pancreatitis.
The plant helps in maintain a cool and healthy mind. It is one of the best rejuvenating tonics for the mind. It promotes comfortable and restful sleep to those who have a stressful routine.It also helps in maintaining healthy hair and promotes hair growth. It helps in strengthening the human body.
Jatamansi is known to be a natural tonic for the brain. It is also used as a memory enhancer. The tonic prepared from Jatamansi helps in calming, relaxing and providing peace to the mind.It is an endangered ayurvedic medical herb. In the market, it is available in the form of root, oil, and powder. It is one of the excellent herbs to treat epilepsy.
Jatamansi is derived from two words: Jata, which means dreadlocks and Manasi indicate towards human beings.
Health Benefits Of Jatamansi
1. Hair Growth
The extract of jatamansi oil is helpful in the growth of hair. The medicated jacamars oil has proven to be very beneficial.You should use it if you desire of smooth, silky and healthy hair. It is used to impart a black color to hair and prevents graying of hair.
2. Beneficial To Skin
Use Jatamansi if you want to lighten and improve your complexion. Using the herb and ensures glowing and shining looks to the body. To improve your skin texture, do the following:
- Mix the root of the herb in water
- Make a paste out of it
- Apply on your skin
- It will promote improvement in your skin texture.
3. Cardiac Health
Using Jatamansi ensures good cardiac condition and health.
4. Memory And Learning
This medicinal plant is known to enhance greatly the functions of the brain. Jatamansi contains various properties that fight many mental problems.Thus, it imparts calmness and peace to the mind.
5. Strengthens The Nervous System
It helps to provide vitality, vigor, and strength to the body which is good for the nervous system.
6. Stress Buster
The plant is known to balance biochemical reactions in the body. It possesses the power of reducing stress, anxiety, and tension.It acts as one of the finest mind rejuvenator tonic.
It works to facilitate a sound sleep and reduces stress. It is a well-known brain tonic worldwide.Using Jatamansi provides a sense of calm and peace to mind. The oil helps to relax and calm the body and mind.
It is also used to attain relief from a headache and migraine.
7. Skin Infection
Jatamansi has the power to subsidize the burning sensation of skin and inflammation. To subsidized burning sensation and inflammation, do the following:
- Mix Jatamansi in cold water
- Form a paste out of it
- Apply the decoction of Jatamansi procured
- It reduces burning sensation, inflammation, pain and improves skin texture.
8. Liver Problems
It shows hepatoprotective effects along with Momordica charantia and formula asafetida. It prevents enlargement of the liver. It also prevents you from jaundice.
The extracts of jatamansi show anti-depressant features. The powder made out of the herb helps in the treatment of various problems.It helps in getting rid of mental retardation and mental disorders. It regularizes respiratory tract and is used to get rid of general body weakness.
The essential oil made out of Jatamanshi acts against various fungus. Jatamansi is known to be an antiseptic.The decoction of the root is applied to the affected areas on the skin and fights many skin problems. Also prevents skin infections caused by bacteria.
11. Prevents Body Odor
Since it is fragrant, jatamamsi powder is used as a deodorant in the case of excessive sweating. The underground stem of the herb is used to prepare powerful aromatic essential oil.
It is also used in making of perfumes and dyes.
12. Useful For Women
- Since it exerts a cleansing effect on the uterus, it is used in the treatment of menstrual ailments.
- It is used to treat dysmenorrhea and inflammation of the uterus.
- The root of the plant is used in making of oil to birth-related problems.
- It is helpful for women as it possesses anti-spasmodic, diuretic and emmenagogue (that which promotes the flow of blood in females) properties.
13. Improves Digestion
It improves digestion. It is also known to prevent problems associated with the digestive tract, lack of appetite, poor digestion, flatulence, and constipation.
Other Benefits Of Jatamansi
- Jatamamsi is known to be used both internally as well as externally. Jatamansi is said to be of therapeutic usefulness.
- The decoction made out of the herb is poured into the affected areas. It is applied directly to ailments.
- Jatamamsi is useful in curing urine-related problems and for maintaining the circulatory system.
- The herb is known to increase appetite.
- It provides relief in the phlegm in a cough and asthma.
- It is proven to be useful in hepatitis and treats enlargement of the liver.
- Jatamansi herb is used to treat problems like sexual debility and impotence.
- Jatamansi herb prevents the formation of fermentation and gas in the stomach.
- Jatamansi is considered as one of the best herbs for treating epilepsy.
- It reduces hyperactivity in children. It also helps improve the behavior of restless and aggressive children.
- It is therapeutically very important. Use the herb to get rid of pain and swellings.
- It is used as analgesic and diuretic in Unani.
- The root of the powder is used to treat intestinal worms.
- Jatamansi being rejuvenator breathes new life into the nervous system of the body.
- Increases strength of the body.
It is used in many ayurvedic herbs due to its numerous herbal properties.
The various Ayurvedic properties of the plant are as follows:
- Taste (Rasa): bitter, astringent and sweet
- Characteristics (Guna): light
- Potency (Virya): Cool & calm
- Digestive effect (Vipaka): pungent
- Humor (Effects on Tridoshas): cools all the three doshas: Vata, Pitta, and Kapha
According to Ayurveda, Jatamansi is described as a combination of three tastes i.e. bitter, astringent and sweet.Jatamansi is known as the most effective herb for putting an end to Vata imbalance.
Side Effects Of Jatamansi
Let’s list down some of the side effects before we move on to the dosage and consumption part.
- People who are suffering from hypersensitivity should avoid using the herb.
- If you consume an excess of jatamansi then you may suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Therefore, pay attention to the dosage prescribed.
- Consuming Jatamansi in excess can lead to many urinary problems.
- One can also suffer from problems like Nausea and colic if heavy doses are given.
- Pregnant, as well as lactating mothers, should avoid using it.
Avoid use during pregnancy and lactation because of the lack of clinical studies.
- There can be various reactions of a herb on the human body. Therefore, don’t forget to consult your doctor before you start using it.
- Please be careful that you take the herb only according to the prescribed dosage. Excess of less of the intake can cause harm.
- If you’re pregnant or lactating, avoid using the herb as it may affect the health of your newborn child.
- Always check for the expiry date of the product before consuming it.
- If you suffer from any allergies or are prone to any kinds of allergies, then do not use the herb.
- If you’re already under certain medication, then do not consume the herb.
Recommended dosage, active amounts, other details
According to Studies following is an estimated human dose of Jatamansi:
- For a person weighing 50-60 kg: 2,700-5,400mg
- For a person weighing 80-90 kg: 3,600-7,200mg
- For a person weighing 100-150 kg: 4,500-9,000mg
These are estimated human dosages based on various studies.
Jatamansi Root Powder: Calming Tonic
The High-quality powder is made out of wildcrafted herbs taken from its natural habitat without the use of any chemicals, fertilizer & pesticides.
Usage Of Jatamansi
For a Healthy state of mind: According to Ayurveda, several herbs can be used to fulfill this purpose. Jatamansi is one of the recommended Ayurveda herbs for a healthy mind and soul.
People who stay tensed or worked up should use this mixture of four Ayurvedic herbal powders:
- Shatavari – 5 teaspoons
- Brahmi – 3 teaspoons
- Guduchi – 5 teaspoons
- Jatamansi – 3 teaspoons
- Mix all four of these Powders
- Add half cup of water to about one-fourth of mixture
- Mix it well
- Drink it three times a day.
- To reduce burning sensation, prepare the paste using cold water.
- The jatamansi powder can also be used as a deodorant during excessive sweating.
To treat skin infections decoction of the prepared Jatamansi Powder is frequently poured on the affected area.
SCIENTIFIC NAME of the herb: Nardostachys jatamansi.
PLANT FAMILY to which Jatamansi belongs: Valerianaceae
COMMON NAME:Jatamansi, Samuel lateeb, Sumbul-ul-teeb, balchar
OTHER NAMES:Spikenard, Muskroot, Nardostachys grandiflora.
Seeds, Fruits, Roots, etc.The seeds and fruits of the plant Jatamansi are used as herbal remedies. Oil procured from Jatamansi is used to treat palpitations of the heart.
The herb has many anti-arrhythmic properties. The oil procured from the roots of the herb is called Nard Oil. It is used in the making products like perfumes, incense, cosmetics, and deodorants.
HABITAT:Jatamansi is found in India, Nepal and Bhutan.
Its chemical composition consists of a volatile oil and two alkaloids, besides an acid which is known as jatamansic acid.
Jatamansi works instantly and has proven to provide good results.Whether it is to fight stress or to relieve insomnia, to treat a cough or fever, or to get relief from respiratory, urinary, digestive, or skin problems, Jatamansi comes to your rescue.Let the root restore the balance and health of your life forces and restore a good lifestyle for you.