Night sweats were often linked to females as a cause of hormone imbalances, particularly during menopause. But this is a myth.
It occurs in men too. Excessive night sweating in men drenches their clothes and blankets. If you wake up wet in night sweats you have to find out what’s the reason.
It is difficult to distinguish between flushing and true night sweats. Several factors increase night sweats such as panic attacks, numbness in body, stress, and trouble in breathing.
Use of heavy blankets or processes inside your body when you have an infection can increase the chances of night sweats. They leave a feeling of intense heat
Causes Of Night Sweats In Men
1) Malfunctioning Of The Hypothalamus
Malfunctioning of the hypothalamus is the cause of night sweats. Hormonal imbalance is caused by low testosterone levels. Nowadays, this has become very common in men due to sheer pressure.
Due to the hormonal imbalance false signals are sent to the hypothalamus. It receives the false signals and heats up the entire body extensively and thus the body starts to show reactions expelling the heat.
2) Low Testosterone
Testosterone is the most important sex hormone in guys. It is responsible for the development of genitals and changes in characteristics and appearances. Testosterone levels reduce as age increases.
Research shows that after 40 years of living men begins to lose around 1 percent of testosterone per year.
To understand the theory of hormonal imbalance complete idea of the symptoms of low testosterone levels are necessary. It reduces stamina, causes mood swings. Obesity and sexual problems like erectile dysfunction are some symptoms of low testosterone levels.
3) Antidepressants And Pressure
Apart from low testosterone levels which are a possible reason behind the cause of night sweats, there might be few exceptions. Usage of antidepressants can also cause night sweats.
Tension, anxiety and work pressure also plays a huge role in the modern life. Certain bacterial infections may also lead to night sweats. Cancerous tumor, sleep apnea, and HIV-AIDS are some other causes of night sweat.
4) Drugs That Lower The Level Of Sugar In Your Blood
Some of the drugs which reduce the level of sugar are aspirin, betaxolol, and alcohol. Lowering of sugar level results in the increase of sweats during the night.
5) Autonomic Neuropathy
It means damage to your autonomic nerves. This may affect blood pressure, temperature control, digestion, bladder function and even sexual function.
It interferes in the message transfer between brain and sweat glands resulting in the dryness of the skin which causes night sweats.
It is a bacterial infection. Taking precautions when working with animals prevent brucellosis. We should also avoid unpasteurized dairy products. It causes excessive sweating during the night. It also causes frequent fever.
7) Carcinoid Syndrome
It is a syndrome resulting from a certain type of cancerous tumor. It causes difficulty in breathing and increases the heartbeat rate thereby increasing the night sweats.
It is a form of cancer that attacks the lymphatic system. It can cause itchy skin, fatigue and uncontrollable chills. The Epstein-Barr virus can cause infectious mononucleosis, which can leads to night sweats.
9) Excessive Sweating
The condition of sweating excessively, day and night is called hyperhidrosis.It can be embarrassing and distressing.The causes and remedies for night sweat in men over 50 may vary.
How To Prevent Night Sweats In Men?
1) To prevent night sweats, one should take proper care and treatment of the body. Regular bathing, avoiding spicy foods can help reduce heating up of the body.
2) Some men have also been benefited by taking medications called alpha-adrenergic blockers. Doing regular exercise also helps in avoiding stress and improving the testosterone level of the body.
3) Low testosterone levels can be treated with testosterone replacement therapy. In this therapy, testosterone is added to the body by using shots, topical gels, patches and tablets for the gums.
Increasing the testosterone level using therapy can prevent us from night sweats but the therapy has certain risks associated with it. Increasing body weight is a minor side effect linked to the replacement therapy.
Breast enlargement, sleep apnea, and prostate cancer are the major side effects of this testosterone replacement therapy. Prostate cancer can be very disastrous for the victim.
4) But before undergoing any form of treatment, one should take proper advice and consent of the doctor for the treatment of night sweats. The exact reason behind the night sweats and its remedy can be best determined after getting diagnosed by the doctor.
5) Many natural supplements like Astragalus, Schisandra and Sage.
6) Take cool bath before going to bed to avoid night sweats.
7) Avoid doing exercise during evening and increase the intake of water.
When going to bed, it may help to wear light clothing and to cool the bedroom using an air conditioner or fan. Consuming milk half an hour before sleep can make you sleep comfortably.
You can also try herbal remedies to reduce the excessive sweating. These will give your body a cooling effect and prevents sweat glands from producing more sweat.