Do you suffer frequently from orange oily stools?You don’t need to worry. Here are some effective remedies and causes!
Normal stools vary in shades of brown. Medical Condition which leads to oily stools is known as steatorrhea. Oily stools are greasy, bulky and often floats. Oily stools may cause due to various reasons like presence of fats in feces.
Orange oily stools are the indication of health conditions such as celiac disease, cystic fibrosis and lack of bile acids. Removal of the gallbladder is another reason of this problem as it causes defects in pancreatic juices.
Hence, it leads to this problem. Intake of excess fats in your diet is another cause. However, the main cause is Malabsorption. Malabsorption is the condition in which nutrients do not absorb properly. A stool test is necessary to identify the real reason.
Symptoms Of Orange Oily Stools
1. If orange oily stools are caused due to digestive problems then it may also accompany the problems like gas, diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, smelly stool, and/or abdominal cramps, pain, bloating, distention, and/or swelling.
2. In case it arises due to a problem other than digestive system then it may also cause itchy skin, weight loss, dark urine, yellowing of skin and eyes, coughing, jaundice, and recurrent infections.
3. If it is caused due to some life threatening disease then symptoms like an increase in abdominal inflexibility; palpitations; increased tightness, pain, and pressure in the chest; breathlessness and other respiratory issues; fainting, reduced alertness; high fever; and sharp, severe pain in the abdomen may exhibit.
Causes Of Orange Oily Stools
1. Absorption Problems
Malabsorption syndrome is the medical condition which is the abnormal absorption of fats through intestinal linings and fat transportation through lacteals. This causes the following:
a. Celiac Disease
It is an autoimmune disease. This affects the small intestine. It does not allow the villi in the small intestine to absorb the fats properly as needed by our body. Symptoms of this disease is oily stools accompanied by abdominal cramps.
b. Cystic Fibrosis
It is a congenital disease. This disease affects the digestive tracts and lungs. It is caused due to obstruction of the pancreas from protein product of defective genes that causes mucus production.
Thus, it prevents the enzymes in assisting the pancreas in the absorption of fats. Hence a number of fats present in our body becomes excessive. Symptoms of this disease is oily stools.
c. Crohn’s Disease
This disease mainly affects the small intestine. Hence it prevents the body from absorbing the vitamins and other different nutrients. It affects the thickness of intestine walls and may cause blockage of a digestive matter.
This is the medical condition in which gallstones are present in the bile ducts. A constituent of gallstones is hardened cholesterol. It may result in liver and pancreatic failure. Symptoms of this disease are a pain in the upper abdomen, oily stools along with nausea and vomiting.
2. Supplements And Food Items
i. Orange oily stools may also be caused due to the intake of coloring substances in the supplement.
ii. Other food items that contain artificial coloring substances.
iii. Eating food items rich in vitamin A and beta carotene like carrot, sweet potatoes, spinach may also cause this problem.
iv. Turmeric supplements may also contribute in orange oily stools.
v. Intake of supplements of Vitamin A and antacids is another cause.
3. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
This may be one of the reason if you are suffering from diarrhea, stomach ache, and constipation.
You may also follow some home remedies to treat irritable bowel syndrome.
4. Microscopic Colitis
It is an another cause of orange oily stool in which lining of large colon gets inflamed.
5. Pancreatic Lipase
If you are suffering from Pancreatic lipase problems like pancreatic cancer, cystic fibrosis, pancreatic inflammation, and congenital pancreatic lipase deficiency, then it may result in orange oily stools.
6. CT Scan, Nuclear Meds Study, Or MRIs
If you underwent tests like CT Scan, Nuclear Meds study, or MRIs, then these tests have dye remnants that can cause a change in stool color and texture also.
7. Escolar Fishes
If you are eating escolar fishes, then you can suffer from oily stool problem. Escolar fishes store waxes as it can’t be digested by their bodies. Humans also can’t digest it. Hence it gets eliminated through the wastes produced in our body.
While going through chemotherapy, this problem is caused. You may get exposed to cystoxins and toxins.
Gastro Esophageal Reflux disease is the condition when the bile production gets decreased. This results in Orange Oily stools.
When you have eaten lots of nuts you may find oily stools. Lipids from the nuts are less absorbed by the body.
11. Jojoba Oil
Intake of Jojoba oil is another factor.
Diagnosis And Tests For Orange Oily Stools
- If you feel that it caused due to some abnormalities in pancreas then abdominal X-ray Scans, CT scan, Ultrasound, and ERCP should be done.
2. If the small intestine is suspected as the main cause then D-xylose absorption is done check the small bowel function.The Schilling tests (I and II) and bile acid breath tests are done for assessing the distal small bowel function. The Schilling test with antibiotics (part III) and the bile acid breath test will check for bacterial growth. barium studies and/or biopsy tests the structural abnormalities in the small bowel.
3. Stool Test: This test is for testing the fecal fat.
How To Treat Orange Oily Stools
1. Normal Issues
If orange oily stools are not caused due to serious reasons then it may be treated by following steps:
- Avoid eating the food which contains extra added colored substances.
- Reducing the Beta-carotene intake in your diet.
Note: If your problem does not solve in 4-5 days then you should definitely meet your doctor.
2. Medical Treatments
Pancreatic Enzyme Supplements
These enzymes help the body to recover to a normal state.
These cure itchiness.
It binds the bile in the gastrointestinal tract.
It blocks the acid in the stomach.
It relieves the pain.
3. Pancreatic Problem Treatment
If the main cause relates to pancreas then you should intake the potent enzymes.
Around 30,000 lipases consume through diet. Enzymes should ingest after intake of proper amount of food. This therapy reduces the bulky stools and results in weight gain. Enzymes should be protected from the gastric acids. It can be achieved by secretion of H2 ions with an H2 blocker or by in taking pH-sensitive enteric-coated pancreatic enzymes.
4. Avoid Alcohol
If you have the habit of consuming alcohol, then you should stop it. Sometimes orange oily stools are because of intake of excessive alcohol. You can also follow the home remedies to get rid of alcohol hangover.
5. Maintain Healthy Weight
You should take care of managing the weight.
Hope this article, helps you to manage the orange oily stool problem. If you face any other issue, consult a doctor.
You may also like reading: