It’s difficult to remove Vaseline from hair.If you are looking for effective way to wash off petroleum jelly from hair then don’t look further than this.
Petroleum jelly or Vaseline (As most people recognize it) can be the worst thing that can get into your hair. Because of the greasy texture, and water insolubility, it does not respond to any soap or shampoo.
Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly in the hair can be the most difficult to get rid off. It further leaves your hair stringy and greasy.
I am not saying that it does not have any advantages. It undoubtedly has certain merits because of which people apply it on their hair/scalp. It is used to suffocate lice, to get rid of a wad of gum and to prevent scars after surgery.
But once it sticks to your hair, get ready to feel a little annoyed. Also, Kids sometimes accidentally put petroleum jelly in the hair and then begins the real trouble.
How To Remove Petroleum Jelly From Hair?
A. Steps Before Beginning The Remedy
1. Clean Out Excess Vaseline
You can start off by running a hair dryer in your hair. This will lead to the liquefying of the Vaseline. Then clean your hair with an absorbent paper towel. Repeat the process and try to remove most of the product with the same.
2. Comb Your Hair Thoroughly
If you have excess Vaseline, run a fine-toothed comb through the affected areas. This will comb out the excess product. After combing, press your hair between an absorbent towel. Repeat the steps. (Make sure that you wipe Vaseline off the comb after every stroke else it might spread all over)
Once you are done with these two easy steps, you can proceed to these remedies.
B.Home Remedies To Remove Vaseline From Hair
1. Massage Your Hair With Natural Oils
- Massage your hair with a nice amount of oil for 10-20 minutes.
- You can use coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, or any other natural oils.
- Once you finish massaging, Wash your hair with warm water.
- Use a clarifying shampoo to wash your hair (Twice).
The Vaseline will eventually come off. The treatment will provide you with a moisturized scalp too!
2. Removing Vaseline From Hair With Cornstarch
- Apply a little cornstarch or cornmeal powder to the affected areas.
- Pat, it through the hair (do not rub) and let it sit for some time (This will give it time to absorb the jelly to the greatest extent)
- Once it sets, Washes it off using a clarifying shampoo and warm water.
- Wash twice to make sure that both the shampoo and the Vaseline come off completely.
- Use a conditioner after washing your hair. It is crucial to the process may leave your hair a little dry.
Cornstarch is highly absorbent and thus binds to the grease-based petroleum jelly.
Cornstarch is also used to rid of coconut oil out of hair.
3. Use Peanut Butter To Get Vaseline Out Of Hair
Peanut butter is also useful in removing this soggy mess.
- Apply peanut butter liberally to your hair, using your hands. (Make sure you apply a good amount of butter in the areas that have more Vaseline)
- Leave it on for 5-10 minutes.
- Keep massaging your hair during this time.
- Once it sets, Uses your hairbrush to remove the peanut butter and Vaseline mixture.
- Rinse your hair with cold water to remove the remaining mixture.
- Follow it by shampooing and conditioning your hair.
NOTE- Don’t forget to clean your comb afterward as It will be full of peanut butter and Vaseline mess. Rinse it with cold water.
4. Baking Soda To Wash Off Vaseline Out Of Hair
- Mix some baking soda with your Shampoo.
- Apply it to your hair entirely or on affected areas only.
- Massage calmly and thoroughly for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process if Vaseline does not come off in the first attempt.
Baking Soda Shampoo is the best natural shampoo that can be used to clean the hair.
5. Use Degreaser Along With Liquid Dish Soap
In this method, use the dish soap like shampoo.
- Apply Dish soap in your hair.
- Massage and rinse off with warm water.
- Follow it by pat drying your hair.
I won’t say this is the best method, but it has worked for many. It is not the best as it leaves your hair dry and skin chippy. You may need to condition your hair following the process to regain the lost moisture.
6. Go For Grease-Removing Products
There are various products that are used to dilute grease. These products are used to remove greasepaint makeup. These are also used by mechanics and engineers to get rid of grease.
- Apply the product, let it work on your hair for some time
- After some time, rinse it off with water.
Though I will suggest going by the instructions given on the product
Note- You have to be careful before and while using these products. Make sure that you use products that are approved for a skin. Keep your eyes, nose, and ears covered while applying it on your hair to prevent dripping.
7. Other Methods
Some other possible removal formulas include
- a beaten egg worked into the Vaseline-smeared hair,
- rinsing several times with apple cider vinegar
- and rinsing with fresh lemon juice.
Never thought that Vaseline could give such trouble right? So Be careful while handling this product or it might lead you to great trouble. However, if something happens accidentally, I have already provided you with the best remedies.
So, be careful and take care!
You May Also Like Reading: