Triphala Guggulu is a mixture that has a very well-balanced of two most effective herbs as described in Ayurveda.
While Triphala is very effective in cleaning bowel, on the other hand, Guggulu works as defense agent for the body. This mixture has been in use in India since 3000 years for curative purposes.
Triphala means three fruits and is a combination of Ayurvedic fruits such as Chebulic Myrobalan (other name harad or haritaki), Indian Gooseberry (Amalaki or Amla) and Belleric Myrobalan (Vibhitaki, Bibhitak or Bahera).
It helps in enhancing absorption of nutrients. It helps in cleaning the channels and is absorbed by the body easily and .quickly. It balances dosha.
It helps in the purification of toxins, by enhancing absorption of food. It increases digestion without producing heat. Strengthens and stimulates the liver. It Provides relief from constipation. It is rich in vitamin c making it a great antioxidant.
It is ideal for pacifying Kapha and Pitta and cleanses nutritive fluid, blood, muscle and fat tissue.
Guggulu has high quality and pure extract that is extracted from the wild crafted medicinal plant.
Benefits And Uses Of Triphala Guggulu
a. Triphala Guggulu For Weight Loss
The mixture of Triphala and Guggulu helps in producing a very effective medicine that helps in detoxification of the body. This helps in maintaining metabolism and also for constipation which occurs during old age.
Triphala Guggulu is appreciated to manage weight as it releases extra water from the body and helps in maintaining healthy cholesterol levels in the body. So it functions in controlling and maintain weight problems and obesity due to indigestion by improving metabolism.
b. Removes Toxins
Triphala Guggulu helps in removing deep-seated toxins from the body’s soft tissues. When the toxins get accumulated in and around joints, it causes arthritis, joint pain, muscle aches and rheumatism.
Triphala Guggulu components bind these toxins and remove them from the blood stream. So this process of removing toxins from body’s major joints helps in reduction of joint inflammation, swelling which causes pain or discomfort.
c. Maintaining Healthy Cholesterol Level
Triphala Guggulu has been reported as of great help in maintaining both good and bad cholesterol levels. It has been reported that high and unbalanced cholesterol level increases the risk of developing heart disease.
With regular usage of this herbal extract, you can increase high-density lipoprotein or good cholesterol. With the usage of this supplement low-density, lipoprotein or bad cholesterol gets decreased. So this helps in lowering blood pressure and hypertension thus reducing the risk of heart disease.
d. Maintain Digestion And Absorption
For centuries, Triphala Guggulu has been used as a digestive aid in India. Resin extract compounds strengthen the digestive system by increasing hydrochloric acid amount and all such other enzymes that are helpful in breaking down of food in the stomach.
It acts on the enzymes found in the intestinal tract in order to improve nutrient absorption. So increasing the ability of the digestive system in absorption of nutrients has many benefits which include the increase in the delivery of nutrient to the body system and improving the performance of the overall digestive system.
e. Overall Benefits And Uses Of Triphala Guggulu
- Guggul has been in use since 3,000 years and all the classical Ayurvedic texts which also include the Sushruta Samhita where it is described in (3rd to 4th centuries) is recommended especially for treating rheumatic pains and obesity.
- This herbal tonic or rasayan of Ayurveda has great importance and its features has been described as little warming, dry, pungent-flavored and aromatic with lot of nutritious, lubricating, stimulating and enhancing digestion properties.
- Shusrusta has recommended Guggulu for reducing obesity. Currently as per research this rasayan benefits in the treatment of elevated blood lipids and also atherosclerosis that is a coronary and arterial plaque. Now a day’s standardized guggul extracts have been approved for reducing elevated serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels in India.
- Traditionally Guggulu contained the properties which were demulcent, antispasmodic, emmenagogue and aperients. To the mucous membrane, it served as an astringent and antiseptic. It has bitter principles that internally stimulate appetite and relief from gas and bloating.
- Its oleoresins are excreted through the mucous membranes, skin, and the urinary system, disinfecting and stimulating their secretions. It is also used to stimulate uterine, to make it useful for regulating menstruation, but it is suggested not to use during pregnancy.
- Warming circulatory Guggulu properties serves as a potent aphrodisiac. Since it has warming properties it stimulates metabolism and that’s the reason why it has been used in treating hypothyroid conditions.
- It also helps to decrease fever by serving as antipyretic and also decreases secretions from diseased body surfaces.
- Provides Benefit in malabsorption, fatigue, diabetes, low metabolism, high cholesterol, sinusitis, sinus congestion, high blood pressure, allergies, rheumatism, hemorrhoids, hyperglycemia, toxemia, general debility, flatulence, dullness in the skin, myopia, headaches.
- It helps in maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.
- It controls and reduces obesity along with appropriate diet and proper exercise
Sustains healthy digestion and absorption.
- It cleanses and tones the gastrointestinal tract eliminates fecal material from the body by stimulating the intestines and colon walls.
- it is useful in various kinds of heart-related disorders such as excessive heart palpitation.
- It helpful in improving blood circulation and also lowering high blood pressure and anxiety levels.
- It is a great anti-depressant.
- Also improves the functioning of the liver.
- It also helps to control brittle nails problems.
- It is an herbal remedy best for joint pain, weight loss and piles. It helps in removing of toxins which can lead to joint pain, rheumatism, muscle aches, and arthritis conditions.
- It is useful for treating arthritis because it balances air and water between the joints and maintains it natural cushioning.
- It is also is useful for those patients suffering from fistula.
- It has anti microbial properties and also has anti-inflammatory properties that is known to provide benefit in various types of inflammation.
- This is also useful to remove out the toxins from the tissues.
It is useful for patients suffering from allergy.
- Helps in increasing metabolism.
- It contains certain anti-cancer properties.
- It has a rich source of anti oxidants.
- Very useful supplement in old age.
- It is a non-habit forming laxative Guggulu and is safe to use.
Triphala Guggulu Dosage
Normally you can take 1-2 capsules or teaspoons for 2-3 times a day with Luke warm or hot water. It should be taken after 1 hour of taking the meal. You can even replace water with milk.
Avoid taking it with cold water, as this will not give you the result. It should be take in with warm water as warm water helps ease fat abrading action.
Though Triphala Guggulu has many advantages it should be taken with care as it is not free from side effects.
Side Effects Of Triphala Guggulu
It should not be taken with certain food items such as eggs, types of meat, sea food, black gram, curd, alcohol, tobacco, rice, canned food, ice creams, etc. So try to avoid them.
Instead, you can try taking in this with food items like wheat, lady’s finger, green and leafy vegetables, bitter gourd, ridge gourd, bottle gourd, snake gourd, low salt food, fresh fenugreek leaves and spinach and tomato, etc.
Guggulu is the promoter in discharging menstruation and stimulated urine; you should not take this in during pregnancy.
Actually it is suggested that this medicine be taken in the supervision of a doctor. If you intake a high amount of his medicine then you may have stomach irritation.
Despite all the benefits of this herbal product, there were certain drawbacks reported by using this remedy which included diarrhea, anorexia, abdominal pain, and skin rashes. Some users did experience mild gastrointestinal discomfort, but it did not necessitate discontinuation.
Some of the users have found guggul as too warming and stimulating due to which one of the side effects that has been seen is a mild rash that disappears as soon as the dose is either discontinued or lowered.
People suffering from liver disease or inflammatory bowel disease and also diarrhea should be very cautious while using Guggul.
Guggulu might compete with some of the medicines that reduces cholesterol, so such medication must consult a doctor before taking in Guggulu.
Also, those who are taking thyroid supplementation should consult the doctor and must ensure to monitor free t3 and t4 hormone level.
FAQ And Reviews About Triphala Guggulu
a. What Are The Forms In Which Triphala Is Available?
Traditionally it was available in churn or powdered form but now a days it is available in capsules, tablets and also syrup form. All of which is very effective.
b. What Are The Various Types Of Triphala Preparations?
There are various types of Triphala formulations such as Triphala Guggulu, Triphaladi Ghrita, Chandraprabha Vati, Arogyavardhani Vati, Saptamrta Lauh, and Triphaladi Kwatha etc.
c. What Are The Side Effects Of Using Triphala?
Since it is natural preparation, it does not have any kind of side effects. It can be consumed by anyone even children above 3 yrs can consume this. But yes there are certain restrictions and all the precautionary measures must be followed.
It has been over 15 years since I have used Guggulu clinically and have not come across any kind of reported incidence of adverse reactions mentioned above.
I would recommend using daily with weekly or periodic breaks from taking it of approximately one day a week. If the results are not so clear, one can safely try to increase the dose, by doubling the quantity if necessary. If taken cautiously on a regular or occasional basis, it should be considered very safe.
1.Hyaluronidase and collagenase inhibitory activities of the herbal formulation Triphala guggulu: NIH
2.Pharmaceutical and analytical evaluation of triphalaguggulkalpa tablets : NIH
3.Management of rheumatoid arthritis (Aamavata) using symbiohealth healthcare system : NIH
4.A novel high-performance liquid chromatography-electron spray ionization-mass spectrometry method for simultaneous determination of guggulsterones, piperine and gallic acid in Triphala Guggulu: NIH