Practice these Yoga poses if you want to increase your height.In this article, you are going to discover the yoga poses which can make you taller.
We all desire for a good personality in this modern era, isn’t it? Needless to mention that you are no exception. There are several factors in people`s mind, which defines personality. One of such factor is short height.
But, let us clear one thing first, that being a short height person is not a setback. This matter is subjective. If you are yourself a short person, then you will not be uncomfortable with a short height person. But, one also can’t deny that being tall, has its advantage.
Height growth is mostly dependent on genetic factors and hence you cannot do much about it. Also, height growth is dependent on body growth of a human body. A human body attains its maximum height till the age of 20 and then the growth slows down. At the age of 25, it is believed that the body stops growing further.
Now, if you are facing a situation that you are about 25 or more and are a short height person. And for obvious reasons you are willing to increase your height. What will you do? If you are wondering that nothing much could be done now, then you are wrong.
You must not forget that for almost all health problems, Yoga has the solution. There are various postures in Yoga, which helps in growing the height of the body naturally, even though you are at the age of 25 or more. Let’s read more about it.
How Yoga Helps In Increasing Your Height?
Thinking how could Yoga help in increasing height? If so, then continue reading on. We all are aware that Yoga makes you feel relaxed, and also it releases emotional and mental stress. This leads to the release of the hormone responsible for the growth of a human body. This helps in increasing your height also.
While doing Yoga, you must have realized that Yoga asanas can make your body more flexible. This, in turn, helps you in attaining good and taller posture. Because of this correct posture, yoga asanas also helps in Realigning and straightening of the spinal cord, which may have bent little as a result of the incorrect posture.
Yoga asanas also focus on stretching of the body, which results in elongation of the muscle. Adding to this the impact of gravitational effect, the yoga asanas pulls the body, which results in increasing the height.
Yoga Postures To Increase Height
By now, you must have understood how yoga asanas help in increasing your height. Now let us know about the correct poses or the asanas of yoga for the same.
a. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
Photo By Amy
Bhujangasana or the Cobra pose is one of the very popular asanas of the yoga. It works on your lower back and upper back muscles, ABS and even helps in cutting the bad fat of the stomach.
Following are the steps to perform this pose:
- Position yourself on the floor, lying down on the chest with face down. (This position is known as ‘prone’).
- Stretch your body in such a position that the front of the feet is on the floor and your hands under the shoulder.
- Ensure that your lower body is pressed firmly on the floor.
- Inhale and then lift your chest along with most of the Torso off the floor by straightening your arm. Ensure the pubis doesn’t leave the floor and your back is bending evenly along the spine.
- Also, ensure that the belly button is tucked in, shoulders are rolled back, and the ABS is tight. Bend the neck backward to work on the muscles of the neck.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds and then exhale gradually coming back the prone position.
b. Tadasana (The Mountain Pose)
Photo By Flicker
This is another popular Yoga asana which is very much beneficial and easy to perform. It gives flexibility to your body and also strengthens your legs, spines, and arms. Following are the steps to perform this posture:
- Stand straight and keep your feet together in parallel. Ensure your spine is in erect position and hands are also straight with palms facing the thighs
- Using your fingers clasp both your hands and start inhaling deeply while lengthening your spine. Now stretch your hands above the head with the palms facing the ceiling.
- Now you need to lift your heel and then balance yourself by standing on your toes. Stretch your body as much as you can.
- After this exhale and gradually return to the original position.
c. Hasta-Padasana (Hand To Feet Forward Bend Pose)
Photo By Amy
It is believed to be one of the best Yoga asanas for the purpose of increasing height. It elongates the spines and also stretches the hamstrings. Following are the steps to perform this asana:
- Stand in the same, straight and correct posture as mentioned in Tadasana. Ensure your chest is puffed out, shoulders rolled back; belly button sucked in, and the abdominal muscles are tight.
- Now you shall inhale and gradually extend your arms straight overhead.
- Now Exhale and then bend forward. Try to touch your head with your knees and your palm with the feet.
- Hold this pose for 30 seconds and then return to the original position (standing erect).
d. Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand)
Photo By Barry Silver
This is one of the miraculous asanas with its difficulty level as intermediate. This asana is beneficial to your skin, hair, thyroid, blood, pressure, glaucoma and more. Following are the steps to perform this yoga pose:
- Lie on your back. Ensure that your abs is tight and also shoulders are pressed firmly on the ground.
- Now tighten your legs and lock its muscles. Lift your legs, butt, and back, off the floor in one movement and the air.
- Your shoulders shall take up the weight of your body.
- Your back shall be supported by your hand. Try to keep the body lifted, straight in the air.
- Hold this posture for 40 seconds.
- Now gradually return to original position gradually by lowering your knees first to your forehead and then bring your spine on the back ground, ultimately lying straight on the ground.
e. Dog And Cat Pose
This yoga pose helps in extending your spine in two different directions fully. This ultimately stretches every cartilage disc present in your spinal column. Let’s know about the steps to perform in this asana.
- Come in such a position that both your hands and knees are touching the ground. Make sure that your palms are slightly ahead of the shoulder and knees hips being apart.
- Now inhale gradually and tilt your pelvis up. Adjust yourself to a position that your spine is curved in such manner that the stomach drops toward the ground. Your head should be in upward position.
- Gradually stretch your body fully but also be gentle. Now slowly move into cat position by simply reversing the curve of the spine.
- You shall conclude the exercise with your pelvis down along with your chest and stomach in.
- Move your body fluidly through these movements and repeat the cycle full as much as possible.
f. Adho-Mukha Savasana (Downward Dog Pose)
This Yoga pose is as much popular as the Cobra Pose. It strengthens the muscles of your body. It even stretches the lower body and upper body, thus aiding in increasing the height. Let’s know about steps to do in this asana.
- Make your both palms, both knees and both toes in contact with the ground at the same time.
- Now slowly straighten your knees and simultaneously lift your butts in the air and push your hips up.
- Ensure you are stretched straight, and your hands, shoulders are wide apart.
- Stretch in the way that you are pushing your spine back, which is towards your leg. Try and touch the heel of yours on the ground.
- Hold this pose for 40 seconds and then gradually come back to the original position.
g. Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
This asana strengthens your body and keeps you fit. It not only strengthens the muscles of your arms, legs, and chest but also benefits your joints like knees and ankles. This yoga pose stretches hamstrings, opens the hip, calf the muscles, and opens the chest. This asana even improves the equilibrium of the body and aids in the realignment of the spine.
Following are the steps to perform this asana:
- Stand straight and keep your feet wide apart.
- Now you need to turn to your side, preferably the right one. Now your left foot will point straight, and the right one will point towards the right.
- Now you shall once inhale and exhale. Then bend your body towards the right side with your right foot touched by right hand.
- Keep yourself in such a position that your arm is in a straight line. When you bend your one arm should touch the foot and the other one is stretched straight in the air.
- When you are in this position, make sure that you are not bent forward or backward. Stretch as much as possible and do open up the chest. Ensure your feet are firmly pressed to the ground.
- You shall keep your eyes open and look at the sky.
- Now straighten yourself and come back to the original position.
h. Parivrtta Trikonasana (Revolved Triangle Pose)
This asana, which can also be said as an inverted triangle pose, will strengthen your back and also improves the body balance. Thus, this contributes to the height growth. Following are the steps to perform this Yoga Pose:
- Stand properly in such a position that both of your legs are stretched out towards their respective sides.
- Lift your both hands in a position in which they are in line with your shoulders.
- Turn your torso towards the right and then touch your right foot with the left hand. Now your right hand must be faced upwards with the fingers pointing towards the sky.
- You shall look towards the sky or your fingertips. Hold this position for 30 seconds and then gradually come into normal position.
- Repeat the step mentioned above to the other side.
i. Surya Namaskar
This is the most popular Yoga asana and being practiced for centuries. It involves 12 different postures, and each of them should be performed in a chronological manner. The following are the steps to perform Surya Namaskar:
- Stand erect with the face towards the sun. Your both feet shall touch each other.
- Bring your both hands near the ears and do the Namaskar, i.e. Touch a palm with the other one, little finger to the little finger and index finger to the index finger.
- Now inhale and then raise your arms upwards.
- After that bend backward and stretch your arms in a position where it is above your head.
- Now bend forward and exhale slowly. Then try to touch the ground by putting yourself in such a position that your hands are in parallel with the feet, and your head is touching the knees.
- Now inhale and then slowly move back your right leg without any jerk.
- Position your feet and hands in such a manner that only your toes touch the ground. After that, raise your hands slowly as much you can.
- Now bring your head back to the normal position.
- Push your left leg backward making it in line with the right leg. Ensure only your toes are touching the ground. Exhale when you are doing this step.
- Raise your hips and then align your head with the arms to form an arch. Keep your arm straight during the movement. Now slowly push yourself up.
- Exhale and then lower your body to the ground. Your knees, feet, chest, forehead, and palms all shall touch the ground.
- Now, inhale again and raise your head backward as much as possible.
- Resting on your palms and feet push yourself up as much as you can.
- Inhale and then bend your left leg at your knee slowly. Now bring your feet together and then lift the legs upwards.
- Exhale slowly and keeping your hands on the floor, bring your feet together. Make sure your feet are aligned with the hands. Now, if possible, then touch your head to your knees.
- Raise your arms upwards. Inhale while doing so. Then again bend backward slowly, stretching the arms above your head.
- Then gradually come back into the normal posture.
It will not be a wrong statement if someone says that Sukhasana is the center position from where all other Yoga poses originate. This Yoga posture helps in controlling your breath as well as it tones your hips and lowers back. Following are the steps to perform this asana:
- Sit on the floor with the cross-legged posture. Keep your hands on your knees.
- Focus on controlling your breath. It should be deep and even paced.
- Make sure your spine is perfectly aligned.
- Now push your buttocks to the ground and also gently lower your knees.
- Inhale as you raise your arms upwards and exhale as you as you bring them down.
- Continue the process gently as much as possible.
k. Tree Pose
This posture improves the balance of your body and also strengthens your calf muscles along with your leg. The steps to perform in this asana are as follows:
- Stand properly with your spine erect and hold your hands together stretched over the head. Ensure that your feet are kept together.
- After positioning yourself as mentioned above, lift your right leg and bent it at the knees. Place the sole of the feet on the inner thigh of the opposite (left) leg. By this, the knees of your right leg will be faced outwards.
- Take a breath and then repeat the procedure with the left leg.
l. Chakrasana (Wheel Pose)
This asana makes your body more elastic and more body more flexible. Thus, it helps in increasing your height at any age. In this posture, the body is bent forward or backward. Following are the steps to perform this asana:
- Lie on the ground on your back. Bend your legs at the knee in such a manner that they are placed near the hips.
- Now put your palms on the sides of your head in such a way that the fingers and elbow are bending towards your body.
- Inhale and then raise your body upwards, resting the palms and the feet. This will curve the spine.
- Remain in the position for a few seconds and then come back to the normal position gradually. Increase the duration of holding the above position gradually.
Note: When you are performing any of the above Yoga asanas, you shall not just do it once and leave. You must repeat the same procedure again and again as much possible for best results.
Words Of Caution
- You must have noticed that in almost all of the Yoga asanas your back plays a crucial role. So if you have any back problem, the do NOT perform these physical actions. But still, if you have a desire of doing Yoga, then please consult your physician.
Yoga is amazing, and there is no doubt regarding it. At any age, it works and helps you to remain fit and healthy. Above mentioned Yoga exercises are the ones used to significantly increase your height.
But you must keep in mind that the results from depends on various factors. Your diet, hormonal imbalances, a way of execution of the asanas and the regularity with the asanas are a few major factors impacting results. So perform Yoga on a regular basis and stay fit.