In your childhood, you might have learned about cereals and different crops. But, in this world of pollution and immense diseases, have you ever gone back in memories and thought which was the best cereal that could grow well and would give great health benefits and the one that could help us to prevent and cure us of diseases?
There is an answer to all your questions in this article? It is the Pearl Millet. Pearl Millet is rich in minerals, proteins, fiber and has a high starch content.
Millets are easily digestible, it can minimize the risk of diabetes, it helps prevent the gallstones, it lowers the blood pressure and reduces the risk of heart attacks; it cures stomach ulcers.
Millets contribute in losing weight and is good for bone health and nervous system. Millets can do wonders, and many recipes can be made from Pearl Millets.
What Is Pearl Millet?
Pearl Millet is a cereal crop. Its biological name is Pennisetum glaucum. Millet in India is called as ‘Bajra.’ It grows in arid and semi-arid tropical regions of the world.
Millet is cultivated in India and Africa. Millet is one of the primary sources of dietary energy. It gives nutritional security to poor farmers and consumers.
Pearl millet is adapted to many growing areas distinguished by drought, low soil fertility, and high temperature. It also grows well in high salinity and low pH soil. It can tolerate difficult growing conditions and can be cultivated well.
Health Benefits Of Pearl Millet
Pearl Millet is an important grain that contributes to the remarkable health benefits.
1. Healthy Digestion
Millet is rich in fiber. It eliminates gastrointestinal disorders like constipation, cramping, and excess gas. It improves the digestion process.
Thus, increases the nutrient retention power of the system. Thereafter, optimizes kidney, liver and boosts the immune system.
2. Treats Stomach Ulcers
Pearl millet is beneficial for treating stomach ulcers. Stomach ulcers are caused due to excessive acidity in the stomach after the intake of food.
Pearl millet turns down the stomach alkaline and prevents the formation of stomach ulcers. In a way, it mitigates the effect of ulcers.
3. Healthy Heart
Millet is rich in magnesium, so it reduces blood pressure and the risk of heart attack strokes. It is a source of potassium, so it stabilizes the blood pressure.
Thus, acts as a vasodilator. Cardiovascular health is automatically maintained when blood pressure is controlled, and the circulatory system is optimized.
Millets have phytonutrients and lignin component, so it acts as an antioxidant that prevents different heart problems.Millet is a grain you should include in your diet to protect your heart.
4. Respiratory System
Millets have the richness of magnesium, so it cures respiratory problems.It helps to treat asthma attacks and reduces the migraine attacks and wheezing.
5. Reduces Cancer Risk
Millets have phytonutrient and lignin, these are good for the human body, lignans fight against hormone-dependent cancers.Pearl Millet also has magnesium and phytate, due to these components it prevents the body from cancers.
Evidence has proved that if you take 35 grams of fiber every day, it reduces the chance of cancer, especially the breast cancer. So, millet is the easiest way to stop the risk of cancer.
6. Pearl Millet Optimizes Cholesterol
Pearl Millet has the richness of fiber, so it is ideal for eliminating bad cholesterol and promoting good cholesterol. Pearl Millet has phytochemical called phytic acid, which increases cholesterol metabolism and optimizes the levels of cholesterol in the human body. So, recommend the diet of pearl millet to the person who is suffering from high cholesterol levels.
7. Pearl Millet Helps For Healthy Bones
Pearl millet has a high content of phosphorus so, it is regarded as suitable for maintaining healthy bones.It also repairs and develops weak bones caused due to some injury.
8. Beneficial In Preventing Gallstones
Millets have a fiber content in them. So, it reduces the risk of gallstone occurrence.An excessive amount of bile secretion in the intestine leads to the condition of gallstones.
The insoluble fiber content in pearl millet reduces the secretion of excessive bile in your system and speeds up the intestinal transit time.Millet also increases insulin sensitivity. So, it prevents the formation of gallstones.
9. Millets And Diabetes
Pearl millet is a wonderful staple crop that controls diabetes.Due to the richness of fiber content, millets digests slowly, so glucose is released into the bloodstream at a prolonged rate.
This maintains a sustainable sugar level in diabetes patients. Pearl millet has an important mineral, magnesium that increases the efficiency of insulin and decreases glucose and triglyceride levels in the body; this prevents you from diabetes.
Researchers have proved that millet has a potential to treat Type 2 diabetes. The latest study, in Sweden, has proved the usefulness of pearl millet for diabetic patients. It was examined in Type 2 diabetic patients for a week.
It was found blood sugar levels were low in the patients who had millets in their diet as compared to other consuming crops as wheat, maize, etc. So, a diabetic patient should take a millet diet to control the sugar level and for lowering the glycemic index.
10. Pearl Millet Helps In Weight Loss
The fiber content of millets aids in healthy weight loss.It helps in controlling the feeling of eating food again and again and in the short period of time.
High fiber content satisfies the hunger for the long time span, in a way it takes time for millet to digest as it needs extended time to move the millet grain from stomach to intestine.
Thus, it helps in lowering the consumption of food. Thus, less consumption, less calorie intake, lessen the weight.So, now if someone in the family, is worried about the weight, ask them to have a millet diet to have a perfect figure.
Pearl Millet Recipes
Pearl Millet has a nutty and crunchy flavor. It is used for making bread and biscuits.Different recipes can be prepared from pearl millet like roti, porridge, cakes, muffins, cookies, etc.
1. Bajra Roti
- Bajra Roti is the best recipe for the weight loss.
- You just have to take millet flour.
- Add warm water, salt and a teaspoon of oil in it.
- Knead the flour into the smooth dough.
- Make balls, roll them and make roti on the hot pan.
- Cook on both sides and serve hot.
2. Pearl Millet Vermicelli
- You can take a pan, heat a tablespoon of ghee and roast pearl millet vermicelli.
- Add a cup of jaggery syrup to it and cook.
- Now for a flavor, you can add saffron, cardamom powder.Stir and Serve warm the sweet millet vermicelli.
3. Pearl Millet Porridge
- Pearl Millet Porridge is one of the healthiest recipes.
- You can take pearl millet in a bowl, now add ¼ cup of water.
- Mix it well and leave it for 5 minutes. Crush them in the blender.
- Take the crushed millet and add water and pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles.
- Cook on the simmer flame for 5 minutes.
- After opening, add salt to the millet and mix well.
- When it is cooled, with your wet hands, shape it into the balls.
- You can put the balls in a bowl, pour some water and leave it in the refrigerator.
- When you need to make the porridge, mash the balls in the water it is soaked.
- Thereafter, add some curd, green chilies and salt to it. Mix it well and pour it into an earthenware pot and serve. So, you make a healthy recipe.
4. Pearl Millet And Green Gram Tikki
- Wash a cup of pearl millet and a half cup of urad dal.
- Now, soak the two with fenugreek seeds separately for 4 hours.
- Grind urad dal to a fine paste and then grind the millet and a cup of a sprouted green gram into a fine paste.
- Mix both the batters and add salt to it.
- Keep the mixture overnight for fermentation.
- Next day, stir the mixture.
- Pour some oil into the pan and heat it.
- Pour a small spoon of the batter,
- Cook on simmer flame,
- Serve with spicy chutneys.
5. Moong Dal And Pearl Millet
- You can take Moong dal flour and Millet flour.
- Add red chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida powder, grated cabbage, salt and a little water.
- Now on the non-stick Tawa pour a little batter and make dosa in a simmer flame.
- Pearl Millet should not be consumed during loose-motions.
- A high consumption of Pearl millet should be avoided in summers, as it may lead to digestive problems.
- People suffering from kidney problems should avoid pearl millet as it may cause an increase in uric acid.
- People were suffering from thyroid and glandular issues should consult a doctor before taking a heavy millet diet on a daily basis.
Before buying millets please, check the moisture effect on it and ensure its maximum freshness.
Pearl millet should be consumed in winter. Millet is also a magnificent source of nutrients like vitamins, minerals and it gives high energy.
So, include the fibrous pearl millet diet into your routine life to lose your weight, keep away health problems and to get rid of diabetes. It would also help with the respiratory system and would keep your heart healthy and young.