Sandalwood commonly known as Chandan is a secret beauty ingredient. It was used by our ancestors as an element to nourish and heal the skin.
To know more about this powerful beauty ingredient read the below article.
Table of Contents
What Is Sandalwood?
Sandalwood is a tree (Santalum album) from which the amazing beauty enhancing sandalwood powder is made. The sandalwood tree is heavy, yellow, and fine-grained and unlike other trees can retain its fragrance for years.
The sandalwood powder and sandalwood oil are extracted from the woods of the tree. It is a second most expensive tree in the world.
Both the wood and oil gives a refreshing fragrance that has been valued for centuries. However, the species of this tree are suffering due to over-harvesting in the past years.
Medicinal Properties Of Sandalwood
Sandalwood is a powerhouse of medicinal properties too. Studies suggest it not only beautifies your skin but also heals it from inside.
Some of the amazing medicinal properties of sandalwood are as follows:
Sandalwood powder prevents the growth of disease-causing microorganisms. It has an anti-microbial action which reduces any infection or sepsis from the skin upon application.
It causes coagulation of skin proteins and thus protects the skin from allergies, abrasions, insect bites, and acne.
It kills or inhibits the activity of microorganisms upon application
It reduces the inflammation and speeds up the healing process.
Benefits Of Using Sandalwood Powder On Your Skin
1. Removes Blemishes
Blemishes occur due to clogging of pores with dead skin cells and excessive oil. They can ultimately turn in to acne.
When the pores are clogged the upper layer of epidermis get affected by blackheads and whiteheads too. This ultimately damages the skin. Sandalwood works well on blemishes.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder For Skin Blemishes?
- For the remedy, mix the pure sandalwood powder with rose water. Make a semi-thick paste.
- Don’t mix too much rose water as it would make the paste watery and it won’t stick on your face.
- Apply the paste on your face evenly from forehead till neck. Let it dry for good 10-15 minutes.
- When dried fully, spray a little water on your face. Rub gently and remove the mask.
- The face mask is good for people with normal to oily skin.
- However, if you have dry skin replace the rose water with milk to add extra moisture to your skin. Carry out this remedy thrice a week for best results.
2. Removes Acne
Acne occurs when the hair follicles are clogged with the dead skin cells and the natural oil(sebum) coming from the skin.
They are categorized as blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, oily skin, and scarring. Acne affects the area of skin which has a high number of oil glands.
Sandalwood powder has a soothing effect on the inflamed acne. It will not only clear the acne and pimples present on your face but also will prevent any future occurrence.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder To Remove Acne?
- For the remedy, mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder, one tablespoon of turmeric powder, and rose water to form a paste. Apply the paste to the affected areas.
- Leave it overnight and wash it off next morning with water. Never use soap to wash off the paste as it may agitate your skin.
- Carry out this remedy daily before going to bed to get best results. The remedy starts showing its effects after a week.
3. For Fair Skin
Sandalwood has natural skin lightening agents. It is used in many fairness creams and face packs. It works wonder on the skin when applied in its purest form.
The powder or oil can be used for any skin type. For dry skin, you have to mix milk to prevent excessive dryness of skin.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder For Fair Skin?
- For the remedy, take a tablespoon of sandalwood powder, add few drops of almond oil and rose water.
- Make a paste. This paste is good for people with oil skin.
- People with dry skin use sandalwood oil. Alternatively, they can mix a tablespoon of sandalwood powder along with one tablespoon of milk.
- Apply the paste on your face and let it sit for good 20 minutes.
- Wash of with plain water. Carry out the remedy regularly for getting a glowing fairer complexion.
4. Anti-Aging Agent
Sandalwood has rich antioxidants that alleviate the aging process. It helps to fight against wrinkles, fine lines, and skin damage.
The compounds of sandalwood increase blood circulation and also helps to detoxify the skin. Detoxification prevents the formation of free radicals which ultimately prevents wrinkles. It is the most desired natural anti-aging ingredient.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder For Skin Rejuvenation?
- For the remedy, take an egg yolk, a tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of sandalwood powder.
- Beat the ingredients well to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste evenly on your face. leave it to dry. Once dried wash it with plain water.
- Don’t use soap for washing as it may reduce the effect of the face pack.
- Carry out this remedy twice a week for maximum benefits.
- This remedy is good for people who are in their late 30s and have started developing age-related skin problems.
5. Sun Tan Removal
Sandalwood is a very skin-lightening agent. It has properties to remove the dark patches on the skin. If you have sun-tan d try out this remedy to get rid of it.
- For the remedy, take a tablespoon of sandalwood powder and a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Mix both the ingredients to make a fine paste.
- Appy this paste on your face or any other tanned part of your body.
- let it dry completely. Once dry wash it off with soap. You should carry out the remedy daily for good results.
6. A Good Exfoliater
Exfoliation is must to keep skin healthy and soft. It is a technique to remove the dead skin cells.
When the dead skin cells are not removed from the face or the body, they cause various skin problems blemishes, acne, pimples, scars, blackheads, etc.
The exfoliator prepared using sandalwood powder can effectively remove the dead skin cells, the dirt, and pollutant from the skin. This further protects the skin from damage or any other skin issue.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder For Exfoliating Skin?
- For the remedy, take one tablespoon of sandalwood powder and one tablespoon of gram flour.
- Add little rose water to form a paste. Alternatively, if you have dry skin add replace rose water with milk.
- Make a thick paste out of the ingredients. Apply the paste on your face and neck.
- This face pack takes good 30-40 minutes for drying. So, before starting make sure you have ample amount of time to carry out the remedy.
- Once dry, wash your face with water. You can carry this remedy twice a week to exfoliate your skin from inside.
- Its better than the market bought exfoliators as they are high in chemicals.
7. Fades Scars And Dark Spots
Scars and dark spots are a common problem faced by many of us. They are a result of a suntan, pimple, blemish, or acne. However, the most important cause is Suntan.
The rays of the sun slowly damage the areas of the skin that are exposed to the sun especially the face neck, and arms. The suntan with time results in dark spots.
These dark spots look like scars caused by a pimple, acne, or an injury. Sandalwood can naturally eliminate these dark spots or scar.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder For Removing Dark Spots?
- For the remedy, take a tablespoon of sandalwood powder. To it, add a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Form a cream like consistency. Massage your skin and neck with it. Massage for good 15 minutes so that the paste goes into your skin and pores.
- Not only this, it also gives a glowing skin. Do this daily, before going to bed.
- The remedy starts showing it results after one week of regular use.
- For the bride to be, it’s an excellent remedy to get a pure, soft, and glowing skin.
8. Prevent Pricky Heat
Ging too much in sun means a lot of sweating and itchy skin too. A itchy skin is painful and difficult to deal with.
Sandalwood has anti-microbial properties to deal with the pain and itchiness of the skin. It also has a soothing effect on the skin.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder For Prickly Heat?
- For the remedy, take one tablespoon of sandalwood powder, one tablespoon of turmeric powder, and one tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
- Mix all the three ingredients thoroughly into a fine paste.
- Apply the paste once you come back from the sun to ease the itchiness and pain.
- Let it dry for 10 minutes and then wash it off with plain water. This remedy will give you cool and refreshing effect.
9. Cures Eczema And Abrasions
Eczema and abrasions are skin issues that cause a lot of trouble and discomfort.
They cause a lot of itchiness. Sandalwood has anti-bacterial, soothing, and anti-microbial properties to fight and reduce the symptoms of such skin issues.
Sandalwood use won’t completely eradicates the problem but would relieve the symptoms and reduce its progression to a greater extent.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder To Cure Eczema?
- For the remedy, take one teaspoon of sandalwood powder and one teaspoon of camphor.
- Mix both the ingredients and form a paste. Apply the paste to the affected areas.
- Wash the paste once dried. If you feel any discomfort or an allergic reaction after application, immediately wash the paste and consult the doctor.
10. Removes Blackheads And Whiteheads
Blackhead and whitehead are formed due to clogging of follicles along with the natural skin oil (sebum). They look shabby and sometimes painful too. if not treated can result into an acne. Sandalwood paste can remove them thoroughly.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder To Remove Blackheads & Whiteheads?
- For the remedy, take one teaspoon of sandalwood powder, one teaspoon of egg white, and a pinch of camphor. Mix the three ingredients thoroughly and form a paste.
- Apply this paste with the help of your toothbrush on your nose or to the affected area. Rub it gently with the toothbrush to remove them off.
- Alternatively, you can leave the paste on and let it dry. Once dry, pull it out firmly. Pulling would remove all the whiteheads and blackheads.
- Carry out this remedy once a week or whenever required.
- Your skin will become red once the paste is removed, it’s normal the redness will go off on its own within an hour or so.
11. Oil Control
Many of us suffer from oily skin due to excess sebum production. Oily skin is a risk to many skin related problems. Sandalwood works effectively for oily skin. it works by scrubbing the excess secretion of oil from the skin.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder For Oil Control?
- For the remedy, mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder and one tablespoon of fuller’s earth along with one tablespoon of rose water.
- The amount of rose water should be sufficient to ensure that the paste is neither too thick nor too thin.
- Apply, the past evenly on your face. Leave it for good 30 minutes.
- Next, wash it off with normal water. Apply the pack thrice a week to get a smooth, soft, and non-greasy skin.
12. Reduce Inflammation
People develop an inflammation on the skin with an insect or mosquito bite. This pains and itch a lot.
You can cure such inflammation by sandalwood quickly. Sandalwood has antiseptic, anti-microbial, and soothing properties that help to cure an insect bite.
How To Use Sandalwood Powder To Reduce Inflammation?
- For the remedy, take a teaspoon or sandalwood powder and few drops of lavender oil.
- Form a smooth paste. Apply the paste to the inflamed area. The application shows quick results.
Side-Effects Of Sandalwood
Sandalwood powder or oil is safe to use. It does not show any harmful effect or discomfort upon application. Pure sandalwood is free from side-effects.
However, in the market, there are many impure cheap forms of sandalwood available. These low-quality sandalwood forms are mixed with chemical ingredients.
These ingredients might show an adverse reaction. So, be very careful when buying sandalwood in any form. Always go for the purest form to enjoy its benefits.
Sandalwood And Skin Care
Sandalwood is one of the most trusted and versatile ingredients for skin. It is used in the beauty industry for various skin care treatments.
It is used in powdered as well as oil form for skin benefits. Sandalwood is the key ingredient of many soaps, powders, perfumes, face masks, creams, etc.
It is best to use the sandalwood in the purest form. The store-bought sandalwood based skin care products have chemical ingredients too which might reduce the action of sandalwood. So, it is advised to use the sandalwood in its pure form.
Regular use of sandalwood can give you soft, glowing, and supple skin. Not only this, it can also cure your skin issues if you have any.
Studies also suggest regular use of sandalwood powder can reduce the aging process.
Sandalwood is an excellent ingredient used for ages to beautify skin. It does not have any side effects of its own. But, when mixed with some other ingredients in undesired amounts can lead to an allergic reaction.
Be cautious, when mixing it with other ingredients. Always carry a patch test before using the combination
For doing the patch test, apply a small amount of paste on the inner side of your elbow. Leave it for few minutes. If it works ok for you, you are good to go. For most people the sandalwood work wonder.
Till now there are no such incidences were an adverse effect of sandalwood powder or oil was seen. However, every body’s skin is different and react reacts differently.
If by chance you develop a reaction, allergy, or an unusual sign immediately discontinue the use and consult a doctor. Such cases are very rare.
They occur once in million. Overall, Sandalwood is the most desired ingredient of the beauty industry that has helped millions to get the glowing, soft, and supple skin.