If the symptoms of essential tremors are creating a havoc in your life, then you can try exercises for essential tremors to control them.
The symptoms of essential tremor progress with time especially if left as it is. So, it’s always best to find the most natural way to reduce its symptoms.
One best way is to carry out the exercises for essential tremors. These are more off relax stretches or mild form of exercises that calm down and relaxes the muscles of the entire body.
Exercises engage your mind and body and help you to cope up with the challenges of the essential tremors. There are a series of exercise for curing hand tremors.
A few of the effective ones are given below in detail.
Table of Contents
Exercises For Essential Tremors
In all the exercises you are going to read below form and breathing pattern is the key. Follow the right form so that it can stretch the right muscles and prevent the symptoms of essential tremors.
Additionally, keep a track of your breathing pattern. Inhale deeply while going into a stretch or doing the exercise and exhale deeply when you come back. Appropriate breathing patterns are must when doing exercises for essential tremors as they prevent exhaustion.
So, let’s move on to the most effective exercises for essential tremors:
1. Tightening And Relaxing Hands
This exercise for essential tremors focuses on reducing shaky hands. It relaxes and the stretches the entire muscles of the hands to gain stability and calm the nerves of the hand.
How To Do?
- Sit in an upright position with your back straight.
- Slowly inhale and close your fingers. Make the fist as tight as you can.
- You can close both the fist together or do one by one. Do whichever suit you.
- Remain in the position for fives seconds.
- Exhale and release
- Do it ten times to get relief from hand tremors.
2. Rotating Wrist
This exercise reduces the shaky arms. For few people with essential tremors, the entire arms shake a lot. For them, this exercise reduces the tension in the entire arm. It releases the pressure from the arms and thereby prevents shaking.
How To Do?
- Sit in an upright position with your back straight and clench your fist
- Slowly inhale and rotate your wrist from one direction to the other. Reverse the direction of rotation.
- You can rotate both the fist together or you can do it one by one. Do whichever suit you.
- Rotate for good ten repetitions.
- Do it daily for good results.
3. Rotate Your Shoulders
This exercise for essential tremors provides relief against shaky shoulders and shaky hands. The exercise focuses on both the shoulders and the entire hands.
It releases the pressure from your upper body and reliefs the signs of essential tremors felt in the upper body.
How To Do The Exercise For Essential Tremor?
- Sit with your legs crosses and back straight. Your hand should be on your knees.
- Inhale and slowly start rotating your shoulder in a clockwise direction. After you complete one rep exhale.
- Go as slow as possible without straining yourself. Make sure you rotate both the shoulders together.
- Repeat for five times in clockwise direction.
- Next, start rotating your shoulders in an anti-clockwise direction.
- Do it again five times. Carry this out daily for good results.
4. Neck Stretch
This exercise aims at controlling the nodding head motion. It is a good exercise for essential tremors for people who nod their head when sitting.
It stretches the muscles of the neck and the shoulder blades. This further releases the nerve tension from the shoulder blades and neck muscles and thereby provide relief from nodding head.
How To Do?
- You can do this exercise when standing or sitting in an erect position.
- Inhale and drop your head fully to one side. make sure when you drop both the shoulders are at the same level.
- Be in the position for 10 counts.
- Exhale and slowly come back.
- Repeat the same for the other side.
- Do it five-time each for both sides of your neck.
This is any time a good exercise for the entire body. For the shaky uncontrollable legs though it benefits the most. People with essential tremors find difficult to stand with shaky legs. For them sitting for a long time will never work instead will aggravate the issues.
Walking will strengthen the leg muscles and help you to attain a stable position.
Take the support adult walkers or simply hold a stick. Start walking very slowly step by step. Walk for good 15 minutes. If you wish you can even take the support of a wall. Make sure you wear appropriate footwear while walking.
If you are someone who has completely stopped walking then, prefer doing it under somebody’s supervision to avoid fall.
6. Bicep Curl
This is another effective exercise for essential tremor. It benefits the shoulder, hands, and arms.
It works by relaxing the hands and strengthening the muscles of arms.
How To Do It?
- Stand or sit whichever way is comfortable for you. keep your back straight and your legs should be folded.
- Keep your elbows close to your torso and stretch your arms from the elbow to your finger.
- Inhale and slowly bend your hand inwards. Try to touch your shoulders with your hand.
- Exhale and come back to normal position.
- Do it ten times to increase the upper body strength and for alleviating the signs of essential tremors.
7. Wrist Flexion
The exercise focus on at the wrist which generally becomes very weak with essential tremors. A weak wrist cause shaking of hands and make you difficult to hold things with your hand or to write or to tie.
Wrist flexion work to the strengthen the wrist joint and relaxes the muscles of the hand and wrist.
How To Do?
- Sit on a chair with your back straight or you can even stan erect. Do whatever is comfortable to you.
- Stretch your hand full with the palm facing down.
- Bend the fingers and palm at the wrist level.
- Hold the fingers with the other hand and pull them back and towards your body.
- Remain in the stretch for good 10 seconds.
- Come back to normal and repeat for the other hand.
- Do it five times each for both the hands.
8. Wrist Extension
This exercise for essential tremor is equally good for hand tremors. The focus of it strengthens the entire hand and increase the upper body strength.
How To Do It?
- Sit on a chair with your back straight or you can even stan erect. Do whatever is comfortable for you.
- Stretch your hand full with your palm facing down.
- Now bend the fingers and the palm from your wrist downwards.
- Bend it as much as you can and then start bending the palm and finger from your wrist upwards.
- Next, Come back to normal and repeat for the other hand.
- Do it five times each for both the hands to get maximum relief.
9. Neck Rotation
This is good for the shaky head. People with essential tremor often nod their head from right to left.
For them, this exercise does wonder. It relaxes the shoulders and the muscles of the neck making them more stable and controlled.
How To Do?
- Sit upright with your back straight and your hands on your knees.
- Rotate your head as slowly as you can from left to right. Inhale deeply while rotating. Exhale and come back to normal.
- Next, start rotating it from right to left and do the same like before.
- Do it for 10 repetitions each for good results.
10. Straight Arm
This exercise builds up the arm strength. It will also help you to control your hands and avoid shaking.
How To Do?
- Stand straight with your back erect.
- Inhale and bring both your arms forward perpendicular to your body. Your palm should face downwards.
- Stretch your arm as far as you can. Try not to move your arms keep them straight.
- Remain in the position for good 5 seconds exhale and come back.
- Do it ten times a day for good results.
- Make sure never overdo any of the exercises. Overdoing will exert your body muscles which might cause pain.
- Whenever you do the exercise make sure the form is correct. A wrong form won’t give beneficial results. Additionally, focus on your breathing pattern. Don’t stop breathing instead take deep breaths during the exercise.
- If you feel you can’t do any of it don’t push yourself try out the other exercise.
- Start with as minimum as 2 times for each exercise. Slowly and readily bring it to ten.
Exercise for essential tremors are pretty good they do wonder in no time. If you carry out these exercises on a daily basis, you will start seeing the results in as less as two weeks.
You can do all the exercises easily as they aim to strengthen your muscles and body. None of them are exerting or strenuous. So, you can carry them out all alone without any expert supervisions.