Are those blemishes on your face affecting your confidence?Are you having trouble dealing with those ugly splotches that loom back at you from the mirror?
Keep your worries aside and try these 20 straightforward and easy-to-use natural home remedies for blemishes to make your face shine out.
But before we go on to give you the magic tips, you need to understand what blemishes are and what causes them.
Table of Contents
What Are The Blemishes?
Skin blemishes are discolorations or imperfections of your skin that occur due to a variety of reasons. Acne breakouts due to oil-clogged pores or stress are the most common cause of skin blemishes.
It can also be caused by skin injuries, poor diet, hormonal imbalance, sun exposure, genetics, freckles, and moles or even aging.
Blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and pustules also come under the category of blemishes as these are caused by clogged pores.
Blemishes can appear on any part of the body though they are most commonly spotted on the face, neck, shoulders, and back.
You can always try popular products in the market that claim to remove your dark spots and make away your acnes, but these are not sure freeways. These are highly expensive and are chemical based.
But you can always use natural home remedies that are much more economical and safer instead of these expensive chemicals.
Home Remedies To Remove Blemishes
Now applying the calamine lotion and cooling the blemish affected areas with ice or cold water are natural home remedies that at least a few of us will be acquainted with.
Here we present a few easy to make, organic and natural remedies for skin blemishes.
1. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice, because of its bleaching effect, is highly effective as a skin-lightening natural remedy to reduce hyper-pigmentation and dark spots. It contains a large amount of citric acid which exfoliates the skin, removes any excess oil and smoothens the skin.
- Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected parts. Leave it on for the quarter of an hour. Rinse thoroughly. Follow this daily for a month or until improvement.
- Prepare a mixture of lemon juice and honey, one-quarter teaspoon of each. Add a pinch of turmeric and apply it on the affected areas. Let it rest for 15 -20 minutes and rinse off. Use this remedy a few times a week until improvement.
- Prepare a mixture of equal parts of lemon juice and tomato juice and apply on the affected area. Leave it on for about 15 minutes and then rinse off.
2. Sandalwood Paste
Sandalwood is an ancient remedy for acne and blemishes. It has the added ability to soothe the inflamed areas.Add rosewater and glycerine to sandalwood paste. Apply it on the blemishes. Leave until dry and then rinse off.
Potato contains starch. Starch is a substance that can reduce pigmentation. It is also an effective remedy for dark circles.
- Cut a potato into smaller pieces and rub the moist part on the blemishes and other pigmented areas for about ten minutes two or three times a day to lessen pigmentation.
- Peel a small potato and then finely grate it. Using a fine sieve or clean cloth, extract the juice of the potato.
- Apply it on the affected areas using a cotton ball. Leave it on for a quarter of an hour before rinsing it off. Continue usage daily for a month or until improvement.
Papaya too can reduce pigmentation.
- Mash raw/green papaya. Apply the paste on the face for about fifteen minutes and then rinse off.
- Mix mashed green papaya and un-boiled milk. Massage this paste onto your face. Rinse off after the massage.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera, also known as wonder herb, contains a juicy, moist gel inside rich in polysaccharides. Polysaccharides have the ability to stimulate the growth of new skin cells, thus helping heal scars and blemishes.
- Extract the gel of aloe vera from an aloe leaf. Just apply the gel to the blemish affected areas. Leave it on until it dries completely and then rinses it off. Repeat this daily.
- Mix two tablespoon of aloe vera gel with one teaspoon each of lemon juice and sugar. Rub this mixture onto your skin gently and leave it for fifteen minutes until it’s dry and then rinse it off. Repeat twice or thrice a week for best results.
6. Tomato Juice
Tomato juice is rich in Vitamin C, and antioxidants and hence is brilliant for a glowing, blemish-free skin. It also can shrink pores and cure acne. Tomatoes are also rich in lycopene and are therefore useful for reducing suntan.
Massage your skin with the pulp of tomatoes. Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse with cool water. Make this a routine for a few weeks and experience the difference.Also, include tomatoes on your diet as these help in making your skin healthier.
7. Almond Oil
Almond oil has smoothening properties and is one of the ancient home remedies.Apply almond oil on your afflicted areas. Rinse off when you want to.
8. Orange Peels
Orange peel is rich in citric acid and therefore has a bleaching effect on the skin. It is also rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants, thus when used it gives the skin a youthful glow.
- Grind dried orange peel to powder and mixed it with water to create a face pack. Apply on the face and the affected areas for efficient removal of blemishes.
- Mix one teaspoon each of honey and yogurt to two teaspoons of orange peel powder. Apply this mixture like a face pack. Rinse when it dries and starts flaking. Repeat this twice or thrice a week for glowing skin.
Carrots are rich in antioxidants and thus are helpful in reducing pigmentation. It is a natural remedy and therefore, holds no chemical substance that may cause harm or side effects. Hence, it is a good choice for a beauty care product.
- Blend carrots into a pasty mixture and apply it on the affected areas. Wash it off with milk after fifteen minutes.
- Mash the carrots to extract carrot juice and apply it on the blemishes to make them vanish.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps in lightening dark spots and blemishes because of its alpha hydroxyl acids content.
It also helps in balancing the pH level of the skin, absorbs excess oil and opens up clogged pores of your skin. It can also fight
It can also fight acne breakouts because of its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with water in the ratio 1:3. You can dilute it as per your taste. Dip a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the blemishes. Leave it on for a quarter of an hour to half an hour and then wash it off. Use it twice or thrice daily till blemishes fade.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio 1:8 and rinse your face with this solution once or twice every day for glowing, blemish-free skin.
11. Fullers Earth
Fuller’s Earth also known as Multani Mitti, can exfoliate your skin to remove dead skin cells and remove blemishes. It also has a skin-lightening effect as it absorbs any excess oil in the pores of your skin.
- Add plain water (you can also add rose water, lemon juice, cucumber juice or lemon tea instead) to two tablespoons of fuller’s earth to make a smooth paste. Apply it on your skin, let it sit for the quarter to half an hour, and rinse it off.
- Mix one teaspoon each of tomato juice and sandalwood powder in two teaspoons of fuller’s earth. Spread it evenly on your skin, and leave for about half an hour and rinse it off. Repeat twice a week.
Strawberries are nutritious as well as cute. They are filled with nutrients and antioxidants along with Vitamin C, alpha hydroxyl acids, salicylic acid, and ellagic acid; it helps to maintain a clean and clear skin.
- Mash a few strawberries using a fork. Mix two teaspoons each of plain yogurt and organic honey along with the strawberry pulp.
- Gently rub it on the affected areas and leave it on for ten or fifteen minutes. Wipe it off with a warm cloth. Do this at least twice a week till you achieve desired results.
- You can also use vinegar instead of yogurt and honey and still achieve the desired results.
Cucumber is soothing to the skin. It is also an astringent and therefore, it opens your pores and helps clear scars and blemishes.
It improves the skin texture. It also can decrease inflammation due to its high vitamin C and antioxidant content.
- Take one –half cup of cucumber (peeled and chopped) and blend it into a pulp. Apply the paste on the skin and leave it on for twenty minutes or more before rinsing it off with cool water. Repeat once daily.
- Alternatively, you can also apply fresh juice extracted from a cucumber on your affected skin using a cotton ball. Leave it on for half an hour, and afterward, wash it off with fresh water. Do this daily for a month at least.
14. Banana Peel
Bananas and banana peels have anti-inflammatory properties. This helps to reduce the redness and inflammation of pimples.
Plus, they are filled with potassium and antioxidants which are great for the skin.Rub the inside of a peel of a ripe banana on the affected area for five to 10 minutes.
Leave it on as long as possible; you need not wash it off with water. Repeat three times a day until you get rid of your blemishes.
15. Mint Leaves
Mint can also be used as a natural home remedy to fight the scars of bruises.
Crush a few mint leaves into a fine paste. Apply this paste gently over the skin and leave it for about half an hour. Rinse with cold water.These are the fifteen sure to work remedies that are completely natural and inexpensive.
These remedies do not burn through your pocket or your face. They are gentle and natural, effective and economical remedies for blemish-free skin.
Prevention Of Blemishes
Even though you now have a few ( a lot of!) tricks up your sleeve to make your blemish vanish, it would not be wise to wait for a blemish begin treating it.
As our wise elders said, prevention is better than cure and better nip it in the bud.
There are a few steps that if you take care to follow will help you prevent acne breakouts and clogging of pores that cause skin blemishes.
1. Prevention Is Better Than Cure
Start treating acne, blackheads, and whiteheads as soon as they appear. Do not prick acne/pimples or try to extract the blackheads or whiteheads.
2. A Healthy Diet
Maintain a healthy diet as the major cause of blemishes are excess oil and dead skin cells clogging pores in the skin. Drink 6-10 glasses of water every day and have a diet rich in citrus and fibrous fruits and vegetables. Detoxifying your body is a requisite to prevent an occurrence of acne breakouts and blemishes.
3. Take Good Care Of Your Skin
Wash your face using mild cleansers. Exfoliate using any agent but do take care not to use any harsh scrubs as they will worsen the acne.
Do not use rough towels to dry your face. It is advisable to consult a dermatologist before deciding which scrub to use.
4. Avoid The Sun
Sun irritates acne, and it is advisable not to expose your skin to a lot of sunlight. Use a good sunscreen with at least SPF15 on the exposed skin areas whenever you go out.
5. Moisturize Your Skin
Moisturize your skin with alcohol-free and oil-free moisturizers every day after you rinse your face.
A moisturizer with alpha hydroxy acids is recommended, but it is advisable to consult your dermatologist before trying out anything.
If any irritation or blemish persists even after trying these preventions, then do consult a dermatologist for further advice.
Hope this Article gave you enough information on Home Remedies for blemish removal.
People are suffering out there, please try any remedy and do tell us your experience. We would love to hear from you.