Pneumonia is a respiratory illness in which a person suffers inflammation in his lungs due to infections such as bacterial, fungal or viral.
It comes in a mild form and can be cured in two to three weeks. But, it can also become severe and prove to be fatal.
It is specifically harmful to infants, children, elderly (people above 65 years of age), and people with weak immune system or health problems.
Symptoms of pneumonia include shortness of breath, fever, and cough. It can also give you nausea, headache, chest pains, fatigue, vomiting, and sweating.
You should consult your doctor to be properly diagnosed and have proper medications prescribed.
However, there are also these amazing home remedies that you can try as a supplementary to cure your mild pneumonia.
These home remedies are simple, effective, and easily found in your everyday items at home.
Keep on reading to find out more!!!
How To Get Rid Of Pneumonia Naturally
Try these natural home remedies treat pneumonia in childrens and adluts.
It may give you bad breath, but it works wonders in clearing up the congestion. It also helps in bringing down the body temperature.
And, also helps in lowering the phlegm in your lungs and clearing up your lungs and chest.
- Make a garlic paste and rub it on your chest.
- Take 4 cups of water and mix 1 cup of milk in it.
- Add one and a half teaspoon of crushed garlic cloves.
- Boil this mixture until it is reduced to ¼ of the total mixture.
- Drink this thrice a day.
- One more way to use garlic is to 1 teaspoon of garlic and lemon juice and honey.
- Mix it well.
- Consume one teaspoon of this solution thrice a day.
It helps in clearing up the mucus from the respiratory tracts so that you can breathe easily again. It also helps in relieving congestion.
- Fill a container with 250 ml of water. Add one teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of cayenne pepper to the water.
- Stir well. Drink this couple of times a day.
- You can also add a pinch of this pepper in a glass of carrot juice.
- Drink regularly.
Vegetable juices like cucumber, carrot, spinach, and parsnip help in increasing the immunity. They also detoxify your body and decrease the mucus congestion.
Since these vegetables are rich in chlorine and phosphorous, they are also beneficial for your lungs and bronchial system.
- In the ratio of 3:1:1 of carrot, beet, and cucumber juice, drink this juice on an empty stomach.
- In the ratio of 2:3 of spinach and carrot juice, drink this juice daily.
- You can also go for a cup of parsnip juice.
This is also very beneficial in relieving congestion and treating pneumonia.
- Extract the juice of ginger in small quantity.
- Mix it with one teaspoon of honey and a couple of drops of lemon juice.
- Mix well. Have this mixture daily before going to bed.
5.Basil leaves and Black pepper
Both of these, when taken together, does wonders for relieving congestion.
- Extract the juice of 5-6 basil leaves by crushing it. Mix it with grounded black pepper.
- Take this mixture every 6 hours.
As we all know how good turmeric is against infections and bacteria. It helps expelling mucus from the respiratory tract and provides relief.
- Have a warm glass of milk with a teaspoon of turmeric. Having twice a day.
- Have a one-half spoon of turmeric and one-quarter spoon of black pepper in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Mix it well. Drink it every day.
- Mix turmeric powder in warm mustard oil to make a paste.
- Massage this paste on your chest.
It helps in relieving chest pain and makes breathing easier.
- Mix turpentine oil with camphor.
- Massage this mixture on your chest gently for a few minutes.
- Cover yourself with something warm after the massage is done.
During pneumonia, it becomes necessary to take potassium in good amount because of the damage was done to the lungs.
For making a potassium broth, you need:
- 500 ml of water
- 2 radish
- 2 carrot
- Four cloves of garlic
- Two celery stalks
- One teaspoon of parsley herb
- Combine all these ingredients in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Then, lower the heat and let it on simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the stove.
- Eat the broth regularly.
- People suffering from any heart illness should not use this remedy.
Lemon being rich in vitamin C helps to boost the immune system.
- In a warm glass of water, add half a lemon juice with a dash of salt.
- Stir it.
- Have it every day.
Steam helps in improving breathing and relieving congestion.
- Boil water in a container.
- Take it off the stove after it is boiled.
- Add a few drops of any essential oil such as camphor, lavender, etc.
- Inhale this steam while covering your head with a wrap so that the steam only goes inside you.
These seeds are known to be natural expectorant. They help with phlegm and congestion.
- Boil one tablespoon each of sesame and flax seeds in a cup of water.
- After a while, strain this mixture and add one teaspoon of honey and a little salt.
- Mix it. Drink it daily.
Oregano oil being anti bacterial, antiviral, and antifungal helps fight against pneumonia-causing germs.
- You can add 2-3 drops of this oil to a tissue or cotton and place it aside your pillow while sleeping.
- The vapours from this oil will help relieve congestion.
- Or, add two to three drops of this oil in simple water or any juice. Drink it twice or thrice a day.
These seeds help in reducing mucus and lowering a fever by perspiration.
- Make a tea by boiling one teaspoon of these seeds in 500 ml water.
- Strain the mixture.
- Drink this tea a couple of times a day.
- To add a little taste, you can add lemon juice to it.
- In a hot cup of water, add one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds, one teaspoon of ground ginger, 1 ground garlic clove, one teaspoon of honey, and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Let the ingredients soak in for 5 minutes.
- Strain it. Add a little lemon juice. Mix well.
- Drink it 3-4 times a day.
14.Homemade cough syrup
You can also make a cough syrup at home to fight pneumonia.
You will need:
- 120 ml honey
- 120 ml water
- One teaspoon of dried rosemary leaves
- One teaspoon of ground ginger
- One teaspoon of cinnamon
- A dash of cayenne powder
- One teaspoon of dried mullein leaves
- One teaspoon of dried horehound herb
- Combine everything in a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Keep boiling till it becomes half of its original quantity.
- Then take the pot off the stove. Allow it cool.
- Take one teaspoon of this mixture every 2 hours.
- Store the remaining mixture in a clean, airtight container.
It helps fight inflammation of the lungs and itchiness in the throat. It also reduces mucus.
In a cup of boiled, hot water put the dried coltsfoot leaves or flowers. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes. Strain it. Drink this 2-3 times day.
- Do not have it for more than four weeks in a year.
- Do not give this children.
- Do not give this to people who suffer from high blood pressure.
Mustard helps in detoxifying and helps fight pneumonia.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each of mustard powder and white flour with an egg.
- Blend it well to make a paste. Massage this on your chest.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes. Do this twice a week.
Mullein helps clear the respiratory tract and fights phlegm and mucus.
- In boiling water, place two teaspoons of mullein leaves or flowers.
- Reduce the flame and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take the pot off the stove and let the mullein leaves and flowers get soaked in for some time.
- Cover your head with a wrap and inhale the steam. Or drink this once a day.
- Place this herb in a jar. Put boiling water in it. Keep it overnight.
- Depending on your condition, have this 1 to 4 cups a day. You can also add honey for taste.
- Do not use mullein seeds.
- People having liver or kidney illnesses, pregnant women, and children should not consume this.
18.Eucalyptus and Tea tree oils
They both fight against pneumonia causing bacteria.
- Take 20 drops of either of these oils and mix it with one tablespoon of almond or coconut oil.
- Mix this solution.
- Massage it on your chest and neck region gently.
- Leave it overnight.
- Do this daily before going to bed at night.
- Use the quantity as mentioned.
- Do not alter it.
- Take a piece of cotton cloth and moisten it with either a carrier oil or vegetable oil.
- Warm this cloth by putting it in the oven at low temperature.
- Put 20 drops of either of these oils on the warm cloth and rub it to spread the oil evenly on the entire cloth.
- Lie down and put this cloth on your chest for about half and hour.
- Repeat this twice or thrice a day.
Black tea is also beneficial in providing relief from pneumonia.
- Make a cup of black tea.
- Add three teaspoon of fenugreek seed powder.
- You can also add honey or sugar for taste.
- Mix well. Drink it once a day.
As we all know how helpful gargling with salt water is during a cough.
- In a glass of warm water, add salt. Gargle it.
- Do this a couple of times a day.
Now, that you have read about the home remedies, it is time for some Do’s and Don’ts during your pneumonia to help you speed up the recovery.
- Consume as many fluids as you can, be it water or juices, to keep you hydrated
- Take enough Vitamin A and C during pneumonia
- Always cover your mouth with a clean handkerchief while coughing or sneezing.
- Take rest as much as you can
- Also, remember to keep your hands clean all the time. Wash them whenever required.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol.
- Cut down sugary, carbonated or caffeinated products.
- Do not take cough syrup which suppresses your cough instead of helping you expel it out.
These are home remedies for aiding your mild pneumonia; you need to consult your doctor for proper medications.You cannot take pneumonia lightly by just relying on the home remedies.