If you or near or dear one’s bone has fractured and you are looking for effective home remedies to treat bone fractures then this is must read the article for you.
If you ever had a bone fracture, you would know the intense pain it gives. Bone fractures take a lot of time to get completely healed.
They can hinder your routine activities until they get healed. The doctor will give you proper medications and stuff to heal the fracture.
Apart from what the doctor gives you to heal it, you can help yourself heal it at home. This will make the healing process of broken bones faster at home. After all, we all like natural home remedies for healing most of our diseases.
In this article, I will tell you about effective home remedies for healing bone fractures, ayurvedic medicines for healing bone fractures, foods that might help in healing and some more details related to this.
Home Remedies For Healing Bone Fractures
1. Applying Ice
This turns out to be one of the most effective home remedies for treating bone fractures. This will help you to reduce pain and swelling. It will also reduce inflammation.
How To Do?
- Take some ice cubes.
- Wrap them in a clean cloth.
- You can apply this on the fractured area for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- You have to repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day for best result.
2. Calcium-Rich Foods
Calcium is important for bone health. It keeps your bones healthy and helps in healing them. You should include calcium-rich foods in your diet for healing the fractured bone faster. Try to drink milk daily till the fractured bone gets completely healed.
Calcium-rich foods are–
- Dairy products like milk, curd, cheese, butter etc.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale etc.
- Oranges and tangerines
- Dry Fruits like dried apricots, almonds etc.
Pineapple will help you a lot in treating bone fractures. This is because it contains an enzyme called as Bromelain. This enzyme will reduce inflammation and swelling in the area which is fractured. Pineapple also contains manganese which helps to heal fractured bones and connective tissues.
How To Consume It?
You should eat half a fresh pineapple daily. Do this until the fractured bone gets completely healed. You can also drink pineapple juice. But, you should avoid processed pineapples. Try to eat fresh pineapples.
Turmeric has a long list of benefits. One of them is helping in healing fractures. It has anti-inflammatory properties. This will help you in reducing inflammation due to bone fractures. Turmeric also acts as a painkiller and reduces swelling.
How To Consume It?
- You should drink milk by adding a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. You have to do this every night before sleeping until the fracture gets healed.
- Take an onion and blend it. Add a teaspoon of mustard oil in it. Now, add another teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. Make a paste of all these ingredients and heat it for some minutes. You should wrap this paste on the fractured area for 1 or 2 days.
- You should include turmeric in your daily meal as much as you can.
5. Vitamin C
Vitamin C will help in forming collagen which will help your body to build bones. You should try to consume Vitamin C daily.
This will help in the faster healing of fractured bones. Also, Vitamin C will fight with the free radicals of your body and so helpful in reducing inflammation.
Vitamin C rich foods are-
- Citrus fruits and juices
- Bell peppers
- Green leafy vegetables
6. Black Caraway Seeds
You might be using these seeds in cooking but they have an amazing property of healing bone fractures too. Black Caraway Seeds have medicinal properties. They contain zinc, phosphorus and some other compounds which are good for your bones. You will start feeling better after you use it.
How To Use?
You can massage the fractured area with black caraway seeds oil. You have to massage it 2-3 times a day for 12-15 days.
7. Avoid Caffeine And Sweetened Beverages
Sweetened Beverages, when taken in larger amount will remove calcium from your body. This will result in weakening of bones rather than healing them.
Caffeine decreases the amount of oxygen that reaches your bone tissues. This affects the bone health in a bad way. You should thus avoid both caffeine and sweetened beverages till your fracture gets healed completely. You should also avoid smoking cigarettes. They may damage the healing process of your bones.
8. Essential Oils
If you treat the fractured area with essential oils, it will fasten the process of healing. They can also help in reducing pain. All the essential oils are used in the same way that is applying them to the affected area and massaging it.
They also help in increasing the blood circulation of the affected area. Some of the essential oils are- Castor Oil, Peppermint Oil, Wintergreen Oil, Helichrysum Oil, Cypress Oil, Lavender Oil etc. You can massage using these oils 2 to 3 times a day until the condition of your fracture improves.
Zinc is important for healing bones. It helps in rebuilding the bones. It repairs the tissue damage related to the fractured bones. You should try to increase the consumption of zinc in daily routine.
Foods rich in zinc are-
- Beef, crab, lobster
- Cereals like bran, whole grain etc.
- Sesame Seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Roasted Peanuts
- Squash Seeds
10. Elevate And Rest
You should keep the affected area elevated and take rest. You can elevate it using pillows. Taking proper rest is important for healing fractures. If you’ll move and continue to use the fractured bone, it will not get healed in time and may increase pain and swelling.
So take proper rest and do not apply much pressure on the fractured part. It is advisable not to move it for some weeks. You have to take proper rest for 3 to 4 weeks.
11. Mustard Oil
It has anti-inflammatory and bone strengthening properties. Slowly and gradually it can heal your bone fracture.
How To Do It?
- Take around 150 ml of mustard oil and warm it.
- Massage in slow circular motions in and around the affected area.
- The heat from the mustard oil will reduce your pain an heal the fracture.
- Prefer doing it quite a few times in a day for good results.
It is known for its medicinal properties for ages. It has several medicinal properties like fast healing, anti-inflammatory, and antiseptic.
The topical regular application can help to heal the bone fractures quickly. However, you need to mix it with a few other herbs and spices for maximum relief.
How To Do It?
- Take a pan in it mash and add5-6 cloves of garlic, 100 ml mustard oil, and 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Warm them up.
- Take a cotton cloth, soak it completely in the prepared mixture.
- Next, tie this cloth in an around the fractured bone.
- Leave it as it for the entire day.
- Repeat the process again before going to bed.
- Additionally, take warm water and crushed garlic to it. Apply the prepared solution 3-5 times a day for quick healing.
Ayurvedic Medicines For Healing Bone Fractures
Ayurveda can give a really effective treatment for your broken bones. It helps you by treating the bones so that they can rejoin and also restore themselves to their original strength and form.
Ayurveda uses herbal medicines in different forms to heal bone fractures. Also, they apply for herbal medicines in the form of pastes which is quite common.
This helps in rejoining the bones. There are some basic principles that Ayurveda uses to heal fractures. They are- Anchana, Peedana, Sankshepana and Bandhana.
This means Traction, manipulation, opposition and stabilization, immobilization respectively. The treatment methods that Ayurveda adopts may include- bone setting, medicines, therapies, splints etc.
Some of the ayurvedic medicines for healing bone fractures are-
- Osteoseal Capsules which help in the better healing of your fracture and also increase bone mineral density.
- Ashwagandha Powder which strengthens the body tissues.
- Lakshadi Guggul which helps in reducing pain in the joints and also in the recovery of fractured bone faster.
- Asthishrunkala which promotes the growth of bones.
- Shankh Bhasam is prepared from the conch shell. It provides calcium and maintains the health of bones.
Healing supplements are also given for faster and proper healing of the fracture. Some of the healing supplements are-
- Calcium and minerals supplements
- Ayurvedic Osteoseal Capsules
- Hadjod Capsules
- Vitamin D supplements
- Omega-3 supplements for bones and also Vitamin-C.
Note: Take an advice before consuming these supplements.
What Foods Help Broken Bones Heal Faster?
1. Calcium-Rich Foods
- Dairy products like milk, yogurt, cheese etc.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli etc.
- Beans and lentils.
- Canned tuna or salmon.
- Fortified cereals or juices.
- Dry Fruits.
2. Protein-Rich Foods
- Milk, yogurt, cheese
- Fish (all the types of fishes)
- Brussels sprouts
- Guavas, avocados, peaches
3. Potassium-Rich Foods
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes
- Dried apricots
- White Beans
4. Vitamin D Foods
- Egg yolks and fatty fish like tuna, salmon etc.
- Fortified milk and cereal
- Beef Liver
5. Vitamin C Foods
- Citrus fruits
- Bell peppers
- Brussels Sprouts
- Tomato Juice
- Melons and pineapples
6. Magnesium-Rich Foods
- Green leafy vegetables
- Seafood like salmon, tuna etc
- Whole grains
- Avocado, banana, raspberries
How Long Does It Take For A Broken Bone To Heal Completely?
Broken bones heal at different rates. This depends on the location of the fracture, type of fracture, the age of the person and also the nutritional status of the patient. Children take less time to heal. Normally, the fracture gets healed in 4 to 10 weeks.
You must always ensure that your treatment is done well and you follow all the instructions as suggested by the doctor. This will help in faster recovery.
Q-What Will Help Broken Bones To Heal At A Faster Pace?
A-Proper rest is really important. You should try to include Vitamin C, Vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, and calcium in your daily routine by using any of the ways you find comfort with. This can help to heal it faster. Also, quit smoking, alcohol, caffeine and excessive salt intake.
Q-What Will Slow Down The Healing Process Of A Fracture?
A-Painkillers can lead to slowing down of the healing process of a fracture. You can use supplements like Vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids instead.
Q-What Does It Feel Like When A Bone Gets Fractured?
A-You may feel intense pain, swelling and bruising of the affected area. The affected part can look deformed and in severe cases, the broken bone can poke out from the skin. You may also feel sick and dizzy.
Even after taking treatment from the doctor, you should always try to make the condition of your fracture better using natural ways.
Home remedies always help and they don’t even have any side effects. Also, proper rest is essential. You should take bed rest for some weeks till the fracture gets healed significantly. Try to avoid colas, red meat, caffeine etc.
You should consult your doctor after every few days to get a check of your progress. If you’ll be patient with the treatment, you’ll be able to heal faster and effectively.