Due to prolonged exposure to sun uneven dark patches might appear on your skin.Don’t worry you can treat melasma by using natural home remedies known to mankind since ages.
Melasma is those uneven patches you see on your skin. This is due to uneven distribution of the melanin on your skin.
Melanin decides the color of your skin and even hair. It can happen to any gender, but it is mainly seen in women, especially during pregnancy.
It can appear on your forehead, cheeks, nose, neck, arms, and chin.
- Direct sunlight exposure
- Allergic reaction
- Hormonal imbalances during pregnancy
- Lack of Vitamin D in
- People having thyroid
No matter the reason for melasma, it steals away your beauty. Now, before rushing to a doctor and splurging a lot on medicines, lotions, and creams.
These are some amazing remedies you need to give a try:
Home Remedies For Treating Melasma
We all know how beneficial turmeric is for our body. It is enriched with medicinal properties that help in healing especially when it comes to your skin or skin related problems.
It helps in treating melasma by reducing the pigmentation. It also helps in treating acne and pimples.
- Make a paste by adding five teaspoons of turmeric and ten teaspoons of milk.
- You can also use ass gram flour for consistency.
- Mix this paste well and apply to the affected areas.
- Let it dry. Wash your face with lukewarm water by using your hands in circular motion.
- Repeat this daily.
Lemon juice is one of the best methods for treating your skin conditions. It helps to lighten the melasma and also acts as a bleaching agent.
- You can apply the direct raw lemon juice to the affected areas by massaging it for a couple of seconds.
- Keep it for 10-15 minutes then wash your skin with lukewarm water.
- You can also make a pack by mixing lemon juice and honey in equal quantities.
- Apply it to your affected area.
- Keep it for 15 minutes then rinse.
You can also make a paste using turmeric powder and lemon juice. As both works wonder for treating melasma, it will be beneficial.
Lemon juice can give reaction to sensitive skin. If you apply it and start having a burning sensation, wash your face immediately and apply a cold cream.
Papaya is a very multipurpose fruit. It is popularly used in fruit facial masks because it is so good for treating skin.You can use it for treating melasma.
- Take a few chunks of ripe papaya and mash it to give it a paste-like consistency.
- Add two teaspoon of honey to it. Mix well.
- Apply this to your affected areas.
- Keep it on for about half an hour and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this once every week for some months to get rid of melasma.
Cucumber is widely used for having glowing, hydrated skin and treating dark circles and eye bags.It also helps fight melasma by reducing that pigmentation.
- Slice the cucumber and apply it to the affected regions on your skin.
- Keep it for about half an hour. Wash it off.
- Do this once every day till you get your even skin tone back.
5. Sandalwood Powder And Rose Water
These two products help in giving you a radiant complexion and removing the unnecessary pigmentation of the skin.This two combination is the best remedy to treat melasma.
- Make a paste of sandalwood powder and rose water.
- Mix it well.Apply this paste all over the affected region. Let it dry completely.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- You can also make a paste by combining lemon juice, rose water, whole milk, sandalwood powder, and turmeric.
- Mix it well to get the paste consistency.Apply it to the affected areas, Let it dry.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
6. Banana And Guava
Both of these fruits are great for treating melasma. Banana is widely used for blemishes on the skin while Guava also contains a compound known as lycopene which aids in treating blemishes.
- Mash guava and banana to form a thick consistency paste.
- Apply it to the affected areas. Keep it for 30 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water. Apply it once every day.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera helps in rejuvenation of the skin. It helps in reducing blemishes. It is one of the most popular ingredients in many beauty products.
Try to get fresh aloe vera. The best way to do that is to grow it at your home. It doesn’t take much space and can be easily grown.
- Apply fresh aloe vera on your affected regions before going to bed.
- Wash it off the next morning.
- You can also make a paste by adding aloe vera and half tablespoon of honey.
- Mix it well. Apply it to the affected areas. Keep it for 30 minutes.
- Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Almond is great for exfoliating the skin and removing the dead skin cells.It is quite often used as a scrub. Almonds are also rich in vitamin E. Almond and honey together makes a great pack for treating melasma.
- Crush a handful of almonds to make a coarse paste. Add honey to it and mix the paste well.
- Apply it to the affected areas. Keep it on for 30 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can also try steeping a handful of almonds in water overnight.
- Next day, remove the skin and grind the almonds. Add milk to the paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected areas.
9. Onion Juice And Apple Cider Vinegar
Both of these act against blemishes caused by melasma or acnes. They act as a bleaching agent and provide radiant skin.
- Take juice of both of these in equal quantities.
- Mix it well.
- Now take a cotton ball and use it to apply this solution to your affected areas.
- Let it dry for some time. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply it once every day.
10. Grape Seed Extract
Grapefruit seed extract is extremely helpful in treating melasma as it helps in detoxifying your skin as well as it is antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal.It is also rich in minerals and vitamins like iron, potassium, and calcium. These are also used in many beauty products.
- Apply this extract to your affected areas. Let it dry.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water. Apply it once every day.
- If you feel burning sensation or irritation, immediately wash it off. Do not use it.
- If you have sensitive skin, do not use it as its citric nature may give you reactions.
Oatmeal helps in exfoliation of the skin and getting rid of dead skin cells. It is also nourishing in nature and helps in reducing the melasma.
- Mix oatmeal, milk, and honey to make a thick paste.
- Apply it to your affected areas by gently massaging it.
- Let it dry.
- Wash it off by rubbing it with lukewarm water.
- Apply it once a week.
12.Apricot Kernel Oil
This oil is extracted from apricot seeds which are dried. This oil is rich in Vitamins like A, C, and E along with fatty acids that reduce melasma and nourishes the skin.
- Put a few drops of this oil on a cotton ball. Apply it to the affected areas.
- Do this twice a day.
Avocado is a healthy fruit rich in Vitamin C and fatty acids. It helps in nourishing the skin.
- Mash avocado in a paste-like consistency.
- Add two teaspoon of honey to it. Mix it well.
- Apply it to the affected regions. Keep it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water. Do it daily.
14.Lavender oil And Tea Tree Oil
These essential oils are great for skin marks and providing nourishment.
- Mix these oils in equal quantities.
- Apply it to the affected regions.
- Use it a couple of times a day.
Horseradish is amazing for treating pigmentation, patches, and blemishes on the skin.
- Apply the slices of it directly on the skin.
- You can also make a paste by adding two tablespoons of horseradish powder in 1 cup of sour cream or curd.
- Mix it well.
- Apply it to the melasma affected areas. Keep it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Use it once every week.
Now, after trying these remedies, it is also necessary to take care of some things to control and also prevent melasma.
Tips To Cure Melasma
Direct exposure of skin to the sun is the best way to harm your skin. That is why it is highly recommended that every time you go out, apply sunscreen to the exposing areas especially face.
Buy a good sunscreen with SPF 30 or more that suits your skin type. Apply it periodically. Apply it even on cloudy days and when you are going for a swim.
2. Water Intake
It is very important to drink as much water as your body requires. You might not feel the need to drink water, but your body requires it.It is often said to drink 8-10 glasses a day. It helps in flushing out the toxins in your body and helps in reducing melasma.
3. Nutritious Diet
Eating all the required nutrients and balanced diet helps not only your skin but also your entire body.You should make sure your body is getting all the required minerals, vitamins, proteins, fatty acids, iron, calcium, and everything that makes you a healthy person with spotless skin.
Stress is one of the most important reasons for getting acnes, pimples, hormonal imbalances, and melasma.Stress is inevitable, but you should find ways to fight it. Always stay positive and happy.
Do not get waxed on the melasma affected areas because it can further aggravate the problem.
6.Skin Care Products
Do not use skin care products which are harsh on your skin. Always opt for mild and gentle products.