If you are one of those who suffer from a pineapple allergy, consumption of pineapples may lead to severe problems. It may lead to an itchy tongue or even stomach aches.
While food allergies overall are common, yet, allergy to pineapples is quite rare. Nevertheless, if you do have an allergy, it is advised not to ignore it. You should immediately consult a doctor.
This article deals extensively with the details of pineapple allergy. Further, it attempts to make you aware of the causes, symptoms, and remedies for the same.
Table of Contents
How To Get Rid Of Pineapple Allergy?
It is mandated that many people attempt to get rid of the pineapple allergy. However, it is stated that nobody can get rid of the allergy a person has. This is because the allergy is caused due to a deficiency n the body or hormonal imbalance in the body.
It may also be caused due to a genetic reason or some other problem which has not been detected by the physician.
Therefore, attempts can surely be made as to how to prevent the symptoms of pineapple allergy and how to treat this allergy, but, one may not be able to get rid of this allergy at all.
Home Remedies To Prevent Pineapple Allergy
Fortunately, on the positive side, this allergy can be scaled down by using some homemade remedies mentioned fore with. There are certain methods and ways which suggest as to how to treat the pineapple allergy and its symptoms.
Some of them are mentioned herewith:
1. Saline Solution
You may use some salt water along with some warm water. This will help to clear off the antioxidants in your body and will thus provide relief to you. This is because saline water is helpful in flushing out allergens from the body quickly.
2. Apple Cidar Vinegar
You can also add some drops of apple cider vinegar to warm water and sip the drink throughout the day. This will help to alleviate helps the symptoms of this particular allergy. It is important to continue this until the time the symptoms subside.
Garlic is considered one of the best remedies for allergic reactions. You may either consume a garlic clove early in the morning along with water or may have crushed garlic flakes alone. Garlic supplements are also available in many chemist shops.
4. Vitamin C Products
You should also increase the consumption of vitamin C rich food products. This will help you fight the antioxidants in the body.
Vitamin C rich products are the best detoxifier in the body. Thus they will help to reduce the allergy of a person. Further, it is mandated that 2000mg of vitamin C is the recommended dosage.
You may also add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm water and consume it daily for relief.
6. Essential Oils
Essential oils are also known to be beneficial in relieving skin allergies. Start by pouring few drops of either basil or lavender essential oil into a handkerchief and start smelling it. It will provide a huge amount of relief as it eases you out.
Quercetin is known to be the best natural allergy. This is because it serves as natural anti-histamine. It is present in foods such as onions, parsley, and apples. Other products which also have this are dark berries, olive oil, and grapes.
You may even take quercetin supplements in the form of pills which are readily available in a chemist store. Further, these supplements contain bromelain which has anti-inflammatory properties.
Honey also helps to reduce the symptoms of the allergy greatly. Honey contains pollen that triggers allergies. Thus, by taking small amounts of honey, it aids to immunize the body against the trigger. You may consume 2-3 tablespoons of honey daily.
9. Poppy Seeds
Poppy seeds are also believed to be effective in treating allergies. Start taking one tablespoon of poppy seeds along with a little water to form a paste. You may also add one teaspoon of lime juice in it. Apply this paste regularly until the symptoms disappear.
10. Castor Oil
Castor oil is also helpful in treating food allergies. You may consume a teaspoon of castor oil every day. The only thing to be kept in mind is that it should be consumed on an empty stomach. It is very helpful as it helps to reduce the inflammation caused in the body and reduces irritation.
11. Vitamin E
Vitamin E acts as a natural anti-allergen. Thus, is thus beneficial for those who are suffering from this particular allergy. Try to take Vitamin E rich food or Vitamin E supplements which are readily available in the market.
Pineapple Allergy Affecting A Baby
It is stated that as adults are vulnerable to this pineapple allergy, so are the babies. Usually, babies or toddlers are not given high doses of pineapple rich food items but they may feel discomfort or spike up an allergic reaction after consumption of pineapple. This is because babies are more vulnerable to the harmful enzymes in pineapple leading to:
- Swelling of the mouth region
Therefore, it is imperative for you to monitor the baby r the toddler in a very pedantic manner when they consume pineapples. This is because both the baby and the toddler are equally vulnerable to pineapple allergy.
Food To Avoid If You Have Pineapple Allergy
These were some of the natural home remedies which you may use to reduce the symptoms of a pineapple allergy.
However, to be more cautious it is mandated that there are certain food products which you should stay away from when you are suffering from this allergy.
Some of the food products are mentioned below:
- Freshly cut or canned pineapple
- Pineapple juice in case of pineapple sensitivity
- Pineapple jam
- Pineapple cocktail
- Pineapple fruit salad
- Pineapple Rum
- Pineapple soda
- Pineapple salsa
- Pineapple candies
- Pineapple fruit cake
- Pina Colada and other such tropical beverages which may have pineapple in them.
- Face wash or creams containing pineapple extract or enzymes may also be harmful for the skin.
When the problem of pineapple allergy runs in your family then it is quite obvious that you are at an increased risk for a pineapple allergy. Family basically means close relatives including parents, siblings, and grandparents.
Further, your baby may also have an allergic reaction on the consumption of pineapple if this allergic reaction runs in your family.
Further, it is mandated that if you are allergic to pineapple, you may also be allergic to the latex present inside the pineapple. Therefore, you should stay away from those products which are made up of latex.
Some of them are:
- hospital gloves
- adhesive bandages
- sanitary napkins
- blood-pressure monitoring cuffs
- rubber-grip utensils
- rubber toys
Above-mentioned are some risks involved when you have pineapple allergy or are at a verge of getting one. It is advised to stay away from pineapple and its products to save you from this allergy.
Causes Of Pineapple Allergy
There are various causes of this particular problem. Even though it is difficult to decipher the causes of pineapple allergy some of the most common ones have been mentioned below:
1. If any of your close relatives suffer from pineapple allergy then you may also start experiencing the same. This process is called genetic sensitivity. Thus, if you feel you have a problem eating pineapple you should stop consuming it.
2. Bromelain, an enzyme which is found in pineapples may be allergic. This enzyme affects the ability of blood to stop clotting. Further, if you are pregnant, diabetic or have been diagnosed with hemophilia then try to avoid this fruit.
3. This may also be a reaction of your immune system towards certain proteins. Researchers are still researching that why the immune system considers certain proteins as dangerous for the body. It is mandated that people who suffer from this allergy experience the proteins overreacting in their body.
Due to this overreaction, the immune system starts to release antibodies into the bloodstream. Thus, these antibodies result in the various symptoms of this allergy.
4. There is latex which is present in pineapple. Some people tend to get an allergy towards this latex. This is also called the latex-fruit syndrome. Thus, if you are allergic to latex then you should avoid the consumption of such fruits.
5.Some people also have an allergy from citrus fruits or Vitamin C. Thus, they should stay away from fruits like pineapple, lemon, grapes, oranges etc.
6. Another cause of this allergy is if you have an oral allergy. This is called the oral allergy syndrome. It is usually caused by airborne pollen proteins from plants like birch, grass, worms, and ragweed.
Further, these proteins are also contained in some fruits and vegetables like pineapple, bananas, kiwis, avocados, and peaches.
Below-mentioned is certain symptoms of this syndrome:
a) Itchiness of the tongue and parts of the mouth
b) Tingling sensation
d) Tightness in the throat
10 Symptoms Of Pineapple Allergy
Above-mentioned are some of the major causes of this allergy. Yet, it is useless to know the causes until and unless we are not aware of the symptoms of this problem. You may have the symptoms of this allergy either immediately on consumption or it could take several hours to show.
Following are some symptoms which may be experienced by people who are suffering from a pineapple allergy:
1. Rashes are the first symptom which occurs as a result of pineapple allergy. People may experience red skin rashes on the body immediately after consuming pineapple. The rash may further cause swelling, itching, and hives on the skin. These symptoms may even last for about 2-3 weeks after consumption.
2. Adding on to the previous symptom, you may also experience some rashes near the mouth after eating a pineapple. This is because; your skin also becomes allergic to pineapple at times.
When you eat, the pineapple touches your mouth region making it either red or swell up. The swelling and inflammation lead to a rash near the mouth.
3. After the consumption of pineapple, the person allergic to it may also experience hives on his body. Hives are basically swollen red bumps or wheels on the body which arise due to an allergy. They usually cause itchiness and redness on the skin.
4. Individuals suffering from pineapple allergy may also experience some respiratory abnormalities. It may cause swelling of the face, tongue or throat.
Thus, this leads to difficulty in breathing. It is advised that if you feel any difficulty in breathing you should contact your physician immediately.
5. People may also experience cramping. It is usually seen that a person with hypersensitivity to pineapple does experience some cramping in the lower abdomen.
6. On consumption of pineapple, it may also lead to severe chest pain to the person who is allergic to pineapple. This is because, on consumption of the pineapple the person’s mouth, tongue, throat, and lips start to swell up. This causes extreme difficulty in breathing.
When one is not able to breathe, it leads to severe chest pain as there is a huge pressure which is built into the body. This may also lead to high blood pressure problems and even a heart attack. Therefore, it is mandatory for you to be very careful if this occurs.
7. You may also experience severe stomach ache after consuming pineapple juice or pineapple chunks. This is because pineapple belongs to the cactus family and it contains the enzyme bromelaine. This particular enzyme causes a lot of pain if consumed in excess quantity.
Also, as pineapple may lead to breathing problems it creates a lot of pressure in the abdominal region. This is the reason this is also a very common symptom of pineapple allergy.
8. Anaphylactic shock- It is mandated that according to one study conducted in 1993, 20 out of 32 people who had pineapple allergy went into anaphylactic shock after consumption of the fruit.
It is mandated that individuals may also experience anaphylaxis as a result of pineapple consumption. This is a severe, total body allergic reaction that may result in excessive swelling of the face and throat.
This makes breathing impossible and individuals may start feeling dizzy or may even lose consciousness because of their incapability to breathe. They may also experience a drastic drop in blood pressure.
If treatment is not provided to the person with this problem then there is a great probability of death.
Following are the symptoms of Anaphylaxis:
a) Loss of consciousness
b) Increase rate of heartbeat
c) Difficulty in breathing
d) Extreme swelling of throat, face or lips
e) Blue color around lips and fingernails
9. Digestive disorders like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are also some of the symptoms of pineapple allergy. The body’s immediate response to an unnecessary item or toxin is to get rid of it as rapidly as possible.
Vomiting and diarrhoea are the person’s natural way of eliminating toxins from the body. Yet, it should also be noted that vomiting and diarrhoea may even lead to dehydration at times.
10. Some other symptoms of pineapple allergy also include constipation, sinus infection and metallic taste in the mouth. However, these symptoms depend on the individual to individual.
These were some of the symptoms of pineapple allergy. Thus, if you experience even one of them after the consumption of pineapple you should seek medical help instantly.
When To See The Doctor?
Pineapple allergy is considered to be minor and does not require doctor’s care immediately. However, there have been numerous instances wherein pineapple allergy has lead to such serious implications which have also led to death.
Therefore, even if you suspect that you are allergic to pineapple, you should consult the doctor. They can recommend taking an over-the-counter antihistamine tablet. This would help to alleviate your symptoms.
Further, if you’ve experienced anaphylaxis, your physician may prescribe an EpiPen that you may use. Yet, this can only be used if you have shown severe symptoms of pineapple allergy.
Its also mandated that if your allergy worsens or does not improve then consider it as a medical emergency and immediately rush to the hospital.
It is also important to understand that pineapple as a fruit has many health benefits. As it is rich in Vitamin C it also acts as a very good detoxifier.
Therefore, it is eminent for the people with an allergy to pineapple, to find its substitutes. You can substitute this by consuming the following fruits and beverages:
e) Apple juice
g) Cranberries and raisins
After going through this article it is obvious that you may have certain queries. Some of the frequently asked questions have been supplemented below.
It is hoped that they answer all your doubts:
1. Is Pineapple Allergy Deadly?
In usual cases, pineapple allergy has been considered a serious issue and problem. This is because due to this allergy the tongue, mouth, lips tend to swell up. As they swell up breathing becomes a major problem leading to severe tightness in the chest.
This, if not treated at the right moment may even lead to death. Yet, it is mandated that pineapple allergy is not usually a deadly allergy and can be prevented and treated.
2. How long Dies Pineapple Allergy Last?
There is no specific answer for this. As it is an allergy it may also last a lifetime of the person.
Yet, it has also been observed in certain instances that it may last just a few months. In an expert opinion, pineapple allergy may reduce over time if you keep using the remedies or medications prescribed but it may not vanish completely.
It is hoped that this article would have helped you understand the causes, symptoms, and remedies of pineapple allergy. So, it is advised utilize the points mentioned in this article well and also visit your physician for a professional opinion.