Many people are suffering from angular cheilitis nowadays. It is an awful skin condition which can cause pain and embarrassment.Feeling a tingling or a burning sensation at either one or both the corners of the mouth is referred to as angular cheilitis.You can get rid of angular cheilitis by using these natural home remedies.
The lips become dry and slowly start cracking and chapping. Eventually, red sores or lesions are also seen in the corners of the mouth.
This skin condition affects only the lips and not any other part of the mouth. You might feel inflammation and soreness if you are suffering from this painful infection.
Causes Of Anguar Cheilitis:
- Bacterial infection
- Fungal infection
- Deficiency of nutrients like Vitamin B12, iron and zinc
- Cold climates
- Old age
- Dentures that don’t fit well
- Poor oral hygiene
Symptoms Of Angular Cheilitis:
Blisters at the corners of the mouth.
- The corners of the mouth become rough and stiff.
- Discomfort while opening the mouth.
- Redness at the corners of the mouth.
- Accumulation of crumbling skin at the mouth corners.
- Chapping and cracking of the lips.
- In severe cases, the person faces uneasiness while eating and even talking.
- Painful sores appear at the corners of the mouth.
- As the severity increases, the mouth’s edges split. This is not easy to heal.
There is no need for any expensive medications. Simple home remedies can help you deal with this problem.
12 Natural Remedies To Cure Angular Cheilitis:
Honey is best known to fight all kinds of skin problems. It has antifungal and antiseptic properties and hence is very effective in dealing with the microorganisms that cause infections.
- Take some honey and apply it on the affected area.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes.
- You can also use cucumber as an alternative.
Aloe Vera has been used since ancient times to treat sores. It reduces the pain and gives a soothing feeling to your lips. Also, it is very easy to grow an Aloe Vera plant at home.
- Keep a leaf of aloe Vera in the refrigerator.
- Take it out whenever you want to use it. This will make the gel inside the leaves cooler.
- Rub the gel from the leaves on your lips and the corners of the mouth.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes. Then wash it off or wipe it with a tissue.
- Do this twice a day.
- You can also use the aloe gel available in the market.
Cocoa butter is known for its moisturising properties. It prevents the dryness of the skin and will cure the chapping of the lips.
- Take some cocoa butter and apply it on the affected area every day before going to bed.
- Apply it 2-3 times during the day.
Lemon has antimicrobial properties and is also a powerful antioxidant. It will also accelerate the healing process of the skin.
- Cut a slice of lemon and rub it on the skin.
- Suck on it a little. You might feel a little tingling but this will heal the wound faster.
Coconut oil is a very good agent for killing the infection-causing microorganisms. It is also a very good moisturiser. Coconut oil will also prevent the infection from occurring again.
- Take some coconut oil and apply it all over your lips and the mouth.
- Let the skin absorb the oil.
- Do this 3-4 times daily.
Petroleum jelly is free from toxins and any other harmful chemical. It is an effective moisturising agent.
It will reduce the pain and soothe the skin. The wound will heal much faster and the chances of the infection occurring again will be lessened.
- Apply Vaseline on the affected area every time you feel your lips and mouth drying up.
- Apply it before going to bed daily.
Baking soda has antifungal, antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It helps to kill the infection causing microbes. Baking soda is a bit harsh but is very helpful in treating angular cheilitis.
- Mix baking soda with some water to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on the lips and the mouth. Do this twice a day.
- Wash it after 5 minutes. Use a soft cloth to dry your skin completely.
- Apply a moisturiser to the affected area.
Olive oil not also is a great antimicrobial agent but also possesses moisturising properties. It is very effective in treating skin problems.
- Warm some olive oil and apply it on the sores.
- Do this twice a day.
- You can also add 2-3 drops of lemon juice to make the method more efficient.
Glycerine is great for treating chapped lips and it can also reduce the pain caused due to the sores. It is easily available in the market.
- Take some glycerine and dab it on the lips and the mouth.
- Do this 3-4 times every day till you see the noticeable change.
Cucumber can be very effective in reducing the pain. It will give your skin a soothing sensation and also moisturise it.
- Keep a cucumber in the refrigerator.
- Cut out a slice and massage it on the affected area.
- Do this twice a day.
10.Eat Nutrient Rich Food:
Angular cheilitis is caused due to vitamin deficiency in most of the people. Your diet should have high contents of Vitamin B12 and iron.
A balanced diet is a key to the cure for this chronic skin disease. The nutrient rich food will strengthen your immunity and help the wounds heal faster.
- Include tomatoes, spinach, carrots and legumes in your diet as they are rich in Vitamin B12.
- Drink tomato soup regularly.
- Drink apple juice on a regular basis.
Stay hydrated at all times of the day. Your lips and mouth become dry due to dehydration that could cause infections like angular cheilitis.
Drinking water will prevent the cracking and chap of your lips.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day.
- You can also suck on ice cubes.
- Drink plenty of water daily.
- Avoid excessive mouth-washing.
- Avoid licking your lips.
- Improve the body’s immunity by eating proper food.
- Take vitamin B, folate and iron supplements to quicken the healing process.
- Visit your dentist to fit the dentures correctly.
So these simple and easy remedies will help you fight angular cheilitis at home. Just remember to get your dentures fixed and visit your dentist regularly.
Stay hydrated and keeps the infections away!