Can’t eat that spicy dish? Having trouble eating food spiced up with herbs? Well, ulcers are responsible for your discomfort. These sores can appear in your mouth out of nowhere, and make your life difficult. So it is necessary that you look into this problem and find ways to solve it.
Mouth Ulcers can be easily treated at home by using some of the age-old home remedies.
Discovre those home remedies in this article.
What Are Mouth Ulcers?
Mouth ulcers are also known as canker sores. They occur when the delicate tissue layer inside the mouth erodes. These sores are painful and sometimes give a burning sensation. They are usually whitish in color with a red outline.
They can occur on all the inner parts of the mouth, including the tongue, lips, cheeks, gums and also below the lower lip. They are not harmful but then to reappear.
In general cases of minor ulcers, it takes about 10 days for the sores to heal.
Cause Of Mouth Ulcers
- Mechanical injury, like biting your cheek by accident
- Food allergies
- Vitamin B12, Vitamin C and iron deficiency
- Herpes simplex infections
- Bad oral hygiene
- Hormonal imbalance
- Stool diseases
- Hereditary factors
- Overdose of medicines
12 Home Remedies For Mouth Ulcers
1. Coconut Milk
Coconut milk is known for its soothing power. It reduces the pain caused by the ulcers.
- Take some coconut milk and rinse your mouth with it. You can also take coconut milk on your fingers and massage it on the ulcers.
- Take 1 tablespoon of coconut milk and mix a little honey in it. Massage the sores with this mixture 3-4 times daily.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda neutralizes the acidity in the mouth and hence is very effective in treating the ulcers caused by soda or acidic food items. It may cause a little tingling at first, but it has anti-inflammatory properties. It also reduces the germs and bacteria present in the mouth.
- Put some baking soda directly on the mouth ulcers.
- Make a thin paste by mixing 1 tsp. of baking soda with a few drops of water. Apply this mixture on the ulcers. Repeat 2-3 times daily.
3. Licorice Root
Licorice is a herb that has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It acts as a demulcent and has neuroprotective agents. It soothes the sores by forming a protective layer on the inner membrane of the mouth.
- Crush licorice root and soak it in 1 tablespoon of water in two cups for about 2-3 hours. Use this mixture as a mouthwash a few times daily.
- You can also take licorice available in tablet or capsule form.
4. Corinder Seeds
Coriander has been used since ancient times in Ayurvedic practices. It has anti-inflammatory properties and provides a soothing sensation.
- Take 1 tsp. coriander seeds and boil it in a cup of water. Strain this mixture and let it cool down. Then rinse your mouth with it after swishing it in the mouth for a few minutes. Repeat this 2-3 times daily.
Honey has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. It quickens the healing process and soothes the ulcers.
- Apply honey directly on the ulcers with the help of a cotton ball or fingers.
- Use manuka honey for the ulcers caused due to radiation.
- Vitamin E oil and glycerin can also be used in the same way.
This is the simplest and the easiest home remedy. Ice can numb the pain caused due to the mouth ulcers. It can reduce the burning sensation.
- Take an ice cube and put it inside your mouth and suck.
- Massage the sores with the ice cube.
- You can also eat ice candies.
7. Aloe Vera
It has medicinal properties as it is antiviral, antimicrobial and antifungal. It acts as an antiseptic agent and reduces the pain. It also quickens the healing of the sores.
- Apply Aloe Vera juice directly on the ulcers and leave for some time. Repeat this a few times daily.
- You can also use Aloe Vera gel.
Basil is an effective remedy for ulcers as it has antimicrobial properties. It makes the healing process much faster.
- Take 4-5 basil leaves and wash them properly. Chew them and then drink a little water afterward. Do this 2-3 times every day.
9. Htdrogen Peroxide And Sea Salt
Both these items are anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. They have disinfectant properties.
- Make a mixture by adding 2 tsp. of sea salt and 3% hydrogen peroxide by adding them in a glass of lukewarm water. Use it as a mouthwash. Do not swallow it.
Celery has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. It can sooth the ulcers and provide relief. It also eliminates bad breath.
- Chew a fresh celery stalk and keep the pulp on the affected area for 10 minutes.
11. Fenugreek Leaves
Fenugreek is an effective way to treat all sorts of mouth problems. It reduces the pain and the soreness of the ulcers.
- Boil a cup of fenugreek leaves in 2 cups of water. Strain this solution and let it cool down. Rinse your mouth 2-3 times daily with it.
Tomatoes can help in soothing the mouth ulcers and relieve you from the tingling sensation.
- Consume raw tomatoes 2-3 times a day.
- Take tomato juice and rinse and gargle 2-3 times a day with it.
- Avoid spicy or acidic food items.
- Avoid soda and soft-drinks.
- Use a tooth brush with soft bristles.
- Avoid beverages that are hard like tea and coffee.
- Avoid consuming alcohol and tobacco.
- Use a straw while drinking water and cool juices.
- Drink a cup of cranberry juice with every meal.
- Eat yogurt, ice cream and custard as they will comfort you.
- Eat salad with many onions. They will help your ulcers disappear faster.
These remedies and tips will surely help you get rid of the mouth ulcers, and you will go back to eating all the tasty dishes in no time!