Bearberry is a likeable fruit for black and grizzly bears and for similar reasons the plant got this name. There are many attributes to this plant and it has various health benefits and uses. This article is all about bearberry and its extract, its uses and advantages.
Table of Contents
About Bearberry Plant
Bearberry is an evergreen shrub found in Canada, Europe, USA and Asia. Its scientific name is Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi. It is known by the nick name kinnikinnik.Bear grapes or mountain cranberry are its few other names.
The plant has leathery dark green leaves and has white pale pink waxy flowers. This plant grows berries which are cherry red in colour which is loved by the bears. The leaves are the part of this plant which is used.
Scientific name: Arctostaphylos uva ursi
Other names: Uva ursi, hog berry, manzanita, kinnikinnik, rock berry, bear grapes.
Part used: Leaves
Uses Of Bearberries (Uva-Ursi)
Bearberries have a lot of medicinal value and help in a many ways medically.
- It helps in the treatment of urinary bladder, irritation of the urinary tracts and inflammations of the urethra. All this is possible because bearberries are high in tannins.
- Bearberries are helpful in the treatment of kidney and gallbladder stones as it has germicide value which helps to prevent infections.
- Bearberry has an astringent property. It helps for female genital apparatus.
- Bearberry has a diuretic property which means it aids to increase the production of urine. This can be beneficial in the treatment of obesity or for liquid retention.
- It is used in the treatment of diarrhea because of the presence of tannins.
- Bearberries helps to cure wounds and improves scars.
- It has been used to fight against E.Coli.
- Bearberry helps to treat high blood pressure.
- The leaves have high tannin content which is beneficial for the skin.
What Is Bearberry Extract?
The only parts useful in this plant are the leaves and the extract of them. It is known as bearberry extract.
It is useful in many ways but there are disadvantages too.The extract of its leaves is used in the form of capsules, liquid, tablets, teas, skin care products, and cosmetics.
Is Bearberry Extract Edible?
The bearberry plant bears red berries which are a favourite food of the bears. The berries are also edible for humans. The extract is made from the leaves and is edible too.
Properties Of Bearberry Extract
Bearberry extract is rich in antioxidants and antibacterial.
Research shows that bearberry extract has skin-lightening properties.
The chief compound found in bearberry is hydroquinone derivate, arbutin which is used as an astringent, antiseptic and diuretic.
The astringent properties help to soothe, tighten and strengthen irritated and inflamed tissues. The diuretic chemicals, including ursolic acid and allantoin, are great for tissue repairing.The extract is also rich in tannins and flavonoids.
Where To Buy Bearberry Extract?
Bearberry extract is sold by major skin care companies in the form of an ointment.You can grow bearberries in your own garden and reap the benefits.
Health Benefits Bearberry Extract
1. Skin Lightening
Bearberry Extract is used in many skin care formulations as it helps to stop the production of free radicals and unstable molecules which lead to the development of wrinkles and age spot. It has high levels of arbutin, which is very helpful.
It helps to treat freckles, hyperpigmentation, melasma and also can help to lighten skin tone to a great extent. Bearberry extract is present in cream and lotions which aid to remove pigmentation and tanning.
Bearberry extract is present in cream and lotions which aid to remove pigmentation and tanning.
2. Guards Against Sun
Bearberry helps to manage the damage provided to the skin by the sun.
3. Decreases The Production Of Free Radicals
Bearberry helps to protect against the production of free radicals because it is an antioxidant. Antioxidants help to protect against skin problems like ageing along with keeping the natural defence system of the skin up to the mark.
4. For Stomach Disorders
Tablets made from bearberry extract are used for the treatment of stomach infections. Since bearberry is a diuretic it increases the production of urine and naturally cleans the system. Also, bearberry extract is good in reducing the risk of diarrhoea because of the presence of tannins in it.
5. In Treatment Of Kidney Inflammation
There is a kidney condition called nephritis, which can be treated with the help of bearberry extract tea or tincture.
Bearberry Extract Side Effects
Bearberries can prove harmful if the doses are not administered or due to prolonged usage.
- If used in excess, this plant can cause irritation in the digestive tract and can lead to vomiting and gastritis.
- If used in an improper way it can harm the liver.
- The hydroquinone in this plant can prove fatal if there is an overdose.
- The plant should not be used during pregnancy as it can result in premature childbirth or deformity in the fetus.
Bearberry can be helpful in treating many diseases, but it should not be used in high doses as it may cause green urine, vomiting, fever, chills, severe back pain, ringing ears, nausea, bluish-grey skin.
Also, it should not be consumed by pregnant and lactating women and by people with kidney disease or stomach irritation. Apart from all this bearberry extract is wonderful for the skin and the body.
You May Also Like Reading: