The Bulletproof Diet Theory is based on the fact that high amounts of healthy fats, moderate amounts of high-quality protein, and tonnes of organic vegetables when eaten at the right time, creates unbelievable levels of energy and promotes faster weight loss results.
With the alarming rate of increase of disease per capita these days’ people are obsessed with the diet plan, exercise and do yoga to obtain a healthy life.
Dieting is very common nowadays especially in the young generation as they chase the dream of having the perfect figure.
Dieting not only helps you to lose the extra padding of fat, but a well-balanced diet provides you with all the essential nutrients you need for a healthy living.
A new concept of dieting that is becoming popular nowadays is the bulletproof diet.
What Is The Bulletproof Diet?
It teaches you what to eat and what to avoid. Some foods which claim to be healthy actually provide with some toxin that is not useful but can be very harmful. Hence bulletproof diet eliminates those foods and instead gives you options of a well-balanced nutritional diet.
Cravings are believed a way of your body telling you that you lack important diet. If you have all the nutrients you want, you would crave less and keep the mind occupied with the “fullness of stomach” feeling. Hence bad food eating habits will decrease.
Bulletproof Diet Chart
Bulletproof diet has a simple formula, i.e. eat the calories which you require and not any extra calorie should be loaded into you. Protein intake should be moderate and cut all kinds of carbohydrates from your diet. The main key is to drink 3-4 litres of water. Below I mention a very favourable diet chart for bulletproof diet:
- You should drink one glass of water before going for exercise. If you perform the strenuous exercise you can have one cup of warm milk or an apple.
- One hour after exercising, drink green tea or black coffee. Do not use sugar or any natural sweetener. You have to avoid all sucrose consumption.
- For breakfast eat only protein. You can take protein drinks certified by dieticians or 4-5 egg whites along with milk.
- For mid-afternoon snack, have fruits. Avoid fruits like mangoes and watermelons. Have apples or pears.
- For lunch eat as less starch as possible. Have one small bowl of rice or half to one Indian bread. Do not have both of them together. Eat one big bowl of vegetables cooked with one spoon oil. You can add spices as they aid to weight loss, but oil should be minimal. Also, eat salads and buttermilk if possible.
- Around 4pm have a fruit again.
- For an evening snack, have a snack rich in protein like eggs or preferably sprouts. This meal will ensure that you do not feel hungry for dinner, and end up having a light dinner which is very beneficial for your health.
- At dinner, avoid any kind of starch. Have a bowl of vegetables or chicken stew along with the salad.
Some Common Bulletproof Diet Meal Plans Are
- Breakfast Meal: Milk, egg whites and chicken boiled soup. You can also take some green tea.
- Lunch Meal: Lots and lots of fresh green vegetables cooked in very low oil and cereal and pulses. You can also drink buttermilk.
- Dinner: A lot of vegetables and chicken preferred. Eat salad too.
- You can munch onto almonds in between to keep hunger away.
You have to make sure that you do not feel hungry in between any of your meals because hunger might lead to cravings which are not good for the diet plan.
If you feel hungry, increase the vegetable or chicken intake. Do not increase the starch intake. If you feel overloaded, cut down on the starch portion. Avoid any kind of processed foods and sweetened and carbonated drinks.
Bulletproof Diet Recipes
Chicken stew is fat-free protein rich and a very nutritious meal.
You Will Need
- 300 gm. Chicken.
- Carrots and beans.
- Spices like salt and black pepper.
You need to cut the chicken into small pieces and wash them properly. Then put the chicken along with water in a pressure cooker. Also, cut the carrot and beans, and add in the pressure cooker. Let the water boil, when it starts to add one small spoon of butter and salt. Close the lid and allow the pressure cooker to give out 7-8 steams.
Open the lids and take it in a bowl and garnish with black pepper.
You can also make a vegetable stew the same way, instead of adding chicken; add vegetables of your choice.
- Protein: 200 gm.
- Carb: 50 cals.
- Calorie: 150 cals.
- Fat: 60 gm.
2. Sprouts Salad
This salad is a protein-packed nutritious meal for an evening snack. It is a colourful dish and is also a good source of calcium. This can also be served as a light lunch meal.
You Will Need
- One and a half cup of sprouts.
- One cup of tomatoes.
- One cup of cucumber.
- One orange separated into slices.
- One tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
- One seeded green chilli, chopped.
- Spices like salt, black pepper and roasted cumin seeds.
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- 2 spoons of yoghurt.
- 1 tablespoon of ginger juice.
- 1 tablespoon of olive of and one teaspoon of sugar.
Mix the entire salad dressing ingredient together and set aside. Cook the sprouts with salt and quarter cup of water in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil and cook for 2 more minutes.
Cover the pan for 3-4 minutes and drain off any excess liquid. Let the sprouts cool down to room temperature and add the dressing. In a serving dish arrange the tomatoes, cucumber and oranges. Top it with the sprouts. Garnish with cilantro and green chilli.
To make sprouts grow you need to soak the entire moong for 10-12 hours in four pats of water. Loosely wrap the moong in a muslin cloth and store it in a dark place for one day, until they get sprouted.
- 1 bowl of entire dish gives 210 calories.
- 15-18 gm. of protein.
- Negligible fat.
Tofu is a very healthy protein salad which can be enjoyed as an evening salad. It is a very easy recipe and doesn’t require much cooking.
You Will Need
- Herbal tofu 100 gm.
- 1 tomato.
- Sweet corn 50g.
- 2 small yellow capsicums.
- 50 gm. Of sweet peas.
- Chopped green olives and jalapenos 6-8 pieces.
- Dash of lemon juice.
- One small spoon of extra virgin olive oil.
Cut all the above ingredients. Cook over low-medium heat for 5 minutes and dress them as per the dressing I have mentioned above. You can add other salad dressing as per you the choices like cucumber, beetroot, lettuce or cabbage.
- Protein: 27 gm.
- Calories: 290 calories.
- Micronutrients like sodium and potassium.
- Negligible fat.
4. Eggs On Geis
A full nutritious meal is what your body requires during the days of diet; hence this is a well preferred evening or dinner snack for a bulletproof diet.
You Will Need
- 200 gm. of chopped carrots, beans, cabbage, corn, peas, cauliflower and capsicum. Total weight should be 20 gm.
- One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Spices like salt, chilli powder, cumin seeds, and black pepper.
- 2-3 eggs.
Sautee the vegetables in oil over low heat for 5-6 minutes along with cumin seeds, chilli powder and salt.
When fully heated and cooked, break all the eggs on the vegetables. Turn the heat off after one or two minutes and let it stay undisturbed for 2 more minutes after covering with a lid.
Open the lid and garnish with black pepper.
- Protein: 50-60 gm.
- Calorie: 200.
- Negligible fat.
Side Effects Of Bulletproof Diet
1.Bulletproof diet needs to be proper. There are flaws in bulletproof dieting and if you don’t follow it properly you will lack many important nutrients in your body which can make you weak and you will fall ill very often.
You are totally avoiding carbohydrates and starch will build the emergency reservoirs of your body, hence it is not a good idea to avoid them. Also, totally avoiding saturated fats is not a good idea either. It can make your body become weak.
2.You will experience nausea and acidity if you are too strict on the diet. Gas formation is very commonly seen in people who are following this diet. The products which are taken for bulletproof dieting like bulletproof coffee or bulletproof energy and protein drinks have sometimes shown major side effects like increase in cholesterol.
In this diet, you avoid fruits too. But seasonal fruits are good for health as they provide resistance against various seasonal diseases. This is a major setback of this diet.
3.Then there have been results which showed that as soon as people let go of the diet, there has been high weight gain and stomach disturbances. This is because your body gets used to the simple food and a slightly different meal can cause your body to not function with proper digestion. This is another major setback.
Taking the bulletproof products blindly also can give your body a nutrition imbalance which is not good for your health.
Below I enlist some steps which will help you achieve your diet goals. They are-
1.Eliminate sugar from your food.
2.Replace the calories you get from sugar with healthy fats from the Bulletproof Diet such as grass-fed butter, ghee or coconut oil.
3.Stop eating gluten of any form. This includes foods like bread, cereal, and pasta. Do not make the mistake of shifting to gluten free junk food, which has the same effects.
4.Try to remove grains, grain-derived oils, and vegetable oils such as corn, soy, and canola from your diet. Also remove the unstable polyunsaturated oils such as walnut, flax, and peanut oil.
5.Delete all the synthetic additives, colours, and flavours. This includes aspartame, MSG, dyes, and artificial flavours.
6.Eat small amounts of pastured, fatless meat from big animals such as beef, lamb, and bison. Pair this with fish and eggs.
7.Cancel legumes such as peanuts, beans, and lentils. If you want to have them soak the beans and sprout, and then cook them.
8.Try to remove the entire processed, homogenised, and pasteurised dairy from your diet. High-fat items can be pasteurised, but they should be grass-fed. Full fat, raw, whole dairy from grass-fed cows is manageable for most people.
9.Eat chicken instead of lamb.
10.Change to organic fruits and vegetables.
11.Cook your food in less oil. Add water in your cooking whenever possible and use the low temperature. Do not use a microwave or do not fry your food.
12.Eat fewer fruits, not more than 1-2 servings per day. Try to have low fructose content fruits like orange, lemons and apples.
13.Add spices and other natural flavours. Use herb based spices such as thyme and rosemary over powders. Use high-quality ones, recently opened.
14.Last but not the least do not forget to enjoy your food.
Before you go into this diet remember to consult your dietician and also go for checkups to see if your body is ready for this diet or not. Also, remember to not trust anything blindly. Remember the old age people ate the things we are avoiding to gain goo health goals. It is the lifestyle that matters.
Do not give into cravings and cheat as less as possible. Keep some item like a small size dress or jeans as your motivation and keep going. You will the difference in the mirror soon. Remember water, sleep, and exercise are your best friends and sugar is your biggest enemy. Keep motivating yourself!