Why Does My Head Hurts When I Cough? What is the reason behind a cough headache and how can you get rid of it.
If you are looking for an answer to these question then you are at the right place. Find out the answer to all your queries in this article.
You might have experienced times when your head hurts when you a cough. It is one of the common problems from which you may suffer especially when you are sick.
This type of a headache is also known by the name “a cough headache.”The aim of this article is to inform you about everything related to a cough headache.
The aim of this article is to inform you about everything related to a cough headache.
Table of Contents
Causes Of A Cough Headache
Any type of a cough can cause a headache whether it may be a common cold or acute pneumonia. More than 100 conditions are associated with a cough headache.
But all the conditions of a cough headache are not harmful to you. At the time of coughing your head gets pressurized which causes a headache.
When you are suffering from cold, the series of coughing increases. As a result, your nasal passages get blocked which causes a headache also.
Blowing down of the head when you are suffering from a severe cough also causes a headache.
Types Of Cough Headaches
On basis of the acuteness and seriousness, a cough headache is categorized into two parts. They are primary and secondary cough headaches. Each category has its causes and symptoms. Let’s know about them in a brief.
1. Primary Headaches
It does not cause any harm. The occurrence is rare and gets cure on their own. They occur immediately after you cough and remain for few minutes.
Pain caused due to these types of headaches is very sharp. It may affect your head and extend up to your back. Gradually it reduces.
2. Secondary Headaches
They are harmful and serious. They may require proper treatment such as surgery. These types of headaches last longer than the previous ones. These may be accompanied by dizziness. Their effect may start from head till your toe.
Symptoms Of Cough Headache
1. A Primary Headache
- A sharp and stabbing headache
- It lasts for a few minutes
- Affects both sides of the head
- Dulls after some short duration of time
2. A Secondary Headache
- Long lasting headache
Causes of A Headache Due To Coughing
If you are a chain smoker or have a habit of smoking, then conditions like bronchitis may prevail. This condition causes you to suffer from headaches like these.
Allergy from smoke, pollen, pollutants, dust particles and chemicals causes the throat infection. Thus it may lead you to suffer from a dry cough. Sometimes, change in weather condition also causes a cough.
Asthma is another cause due to which you can suffer from a cough.
A defect in skull shape is also a cause of a secondary type of a cough headache.
Tumor in the brain is another cause which may prevail this condition.
A defect in the cerebellum may lead you to suffer from a headache. The cerebellum is responsible for controlling the balance.
It occurs when the certain portion of the skull is forced through the opening at the base. At the base of the skull, an only spinal cord is allowed.
Weakness in the blood vessel, known as a cerebral aneurysm in the blood vessels may cause a cough headache.
Cerebrospinal fluid leak spontaneously is another reason for a headache.
Due to these causes, larynx or pharynx may get inflamed. A headache may occur due to this. Causes of inflammation are the bacterial and viral infection, environmental pollution or overuse of vocal cord.
Risk Factors Involved In Cough Headache
A Primary Headache
- Age: It affects the people of age 40 years or more.
- Sex: Men are believed to be more vulnerable to this type of a headache.
A Secondary Headache
People of age 40 years or less get affected by this type of a headache.
Test And Diagnosis Of Cough Headache
a. MRI Scan (Magnetic Resource Imaging)
Magnetic field and radio waves create the structure of the portions of the head during MRI. It helps to detect the problem that may cause a cough headache.
b. CT Scan( Computerized Tomography Scan)
CT Scan is the scanning of your brain with the help of X-Ray unit that rotates around your head.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Cough Headache
1. Specific Diet
Add some specific foods in your diet which can help to alleviate a cough if taken for few days.The foods may include grapes, garlic, mustard oil, eggs, mustard, corn, peanuts, etc.
These foods have the abilities to keep your body warm which may help you to get rid of a cough headache.
You can use garlic in several ways when you have a cough headache. Take some roasted garlic cloves three times in a day. You can massage your feet and palms with a concoction of garlic and mustard oil. A mixture of grape juice and garlic is another home remedy which can help you to deal with a cough.
Honey has the properties to deal with a cough headache.
- Take 1 tsp of honey with the same amount of ginger juice to get a quick relief from a cough. You have to take it twice a day on an empty stomach.
- Take a tsp of honey with a pinch of pepper and blende them with a small quantity of water. Drink this mixture twice a day.
4. Basil Leaves
Basil leaves are full of antioxidants and have natural remedies for many diseases.
- In a cough headache, take 7 basil leaves and extract the juice. Take this juice with the same amount of ginger juice on an empty stomach.
- You may chew the basil leaves only. You must wash them thoroughly before intake.
- Take 7 basil leaves with 7 whole black pepper in the morning on an empty stomach.
Inhalation of several medicinal herbs with warm water works miraculously in a cough headache.
- Take a large bowl with 1 liter of water.
- Add some basil leaves and a pinch of Vicks vapor in it.
- Make the water boil and inhale the smoke from it.
- It will clear all your nasal passages and you will get a great relief.
- You may add some neem leaves also.
Sprinkle some black pepper and salt on the two halves of a lemon. Suck both halves of the lemon to get relief from a cough headache.
Another effective mixture includes some quantity of boiled water, onion juice, one tablespoon of lemon juice, and honey. Drink this mixture thrice in a day. You will surely get relief from a cough and hence the headache.
Gargling is one of the best remedies to cure a cough headache.
- Add 1 tsp of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle.
- It will relieve your swollen larynx due to coughing and will provide you great relief.
- You can add some nutmegs or cloves with a pinch of salt in a glass of warm water to gargle.
8. Herbal Tea
Drinking of Rosemary tea prevents a headache from getting worse. You have to take some rosemary and add them in a glass of water.
- Make the water boil to remain half of the liquid.
- Drink it twice a day.
- You can make the tea of chamomile, bay leaf, cloves, and ginger tea by using the same process as the rosemary tea.
- You may add some sugar to the tea for taste.
9. Add Moisture
- Moisten your upper airway.
- It can help loosen secretions.
- Thus it will relieve pressure and congestion.
If coughs are left untreated, then it may lead to serious conditions like bronchitis or pneumonia.
Why Does My Head Hurts On The Left Side When I Cough?
Headaches can be the indication of serious problems like brain tumors. So if you are suffering from frequent headaches, then you should probably check for the proper treatment.
And if you observe double vision, imbalance or nausea with a headache then go for the proper evaluation.
One more reason apart from the serious ones is sinus congestion. If you have a runny nose, cough or stuffiness, then it may happen that it affects your one side of the head.
Another reason can be a migraine. This can be one of the causes especially when you have headaches very frequently. A classic migraine affects one side of the head. You should consult the doctor to determine the proper cause.
Why Does My Head Hurts On The Right Side, When I Cough?
There can be various reasons for the pain on right side of the head when you a cough. Again it can be the Brain tumor that hurts when you a cough.
One reason can be that congestion on the right side of your nose that is putting pressure on right side of your head.
A migraine is a common problem found among people nowadays. Symptoms differ from person to person.
Common symptoms along with a headache on the right side of the head are as follows:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Pain on one side of the head or entire head
- Blurred vision
- Throbbing or pulsating pain
Medications such as ibuprofen, aspirin, and acetaminophen are taken for a migraine. It recommended taking these only when the doctor prescribes it to you.
When To Meet the Doctor?
If headaches occur rarely, then it is not a topic to worry about. But if the occurrence of a headache is frequent then you should better consult your doctor.
You should immediately run to the doctor if you suffer from double vision, balance problem or a severe headache.
How To Prevent Cough Headache?
- If you are suffering from lung infection, then go for treatment to cure it. Eventually, you will not experience a cough headache.
- Some medications have the side effect which causes coughing. Avoid those types of medicines.
- Avoid bending or heavy lifting for the long duration.
- Stool softeners can be used.
- Get an annual flu shot.