In this article, I am going to teach you about different types of sprouts and amazing health benefits of adding them to your diet.
In the 21st century, every individual wants to stay in shape without a headache. This is what is increasing the annual count of vegetarians every year.
This is true that going vegan can help you to quite an extent. But, will that not be a treat if the results can be accentuated with some types of vegetables?
This is what brings us to today’s article about different types of sprouts. In this article, I will tell you:
- What sprouts are?
- What is their nutritional goodness?
- What all are the health Benefits fetched by them?
- A guide on how you can have them.
- Lastly, the drawbacks and prevention of the sprout
- What Are Sprouts?
- How To Make The Sprouts?
- Nutritional Value of Sprouts
- Different Types Of Sprouts Salad
- Health Benefits Of Eating Sprouts
- How To Eat Sprouts?
- How many Sprouts Should I Eat Day
- Drawbacks And Precautions
- Final Thoughts
What Are Sprouts?
When vegetable seeds, legumes, and grains are germinating, they are called sprouts. Sprouts are the very first shoots of various kinds of seeds.
These shoots are consumable and are an abundant source of nutrition. They are extremely wholesome and tasty at the same time.
Well known for their nutritional value, these shoots are also used in the field of Naturopathy. There are numerous types of sprouts.
Each type has a specific taste and uniqueness. As you keep reading, you will come across all these points.
How To Make The Sprouts?
Let me give you a briefing on how you can sprout your legumes and seeds. Getting those seeds sprouting is easy.
It does not need much effort and also, saves on time. Listed below are the steps of the procedure on how to make sprouts.
- Choose the type of sprouts you want to make.
- Soak the seeds or the grains in a container with water in it. Let it stay overnight.
- Drain the water the next morning and rinse them well.
- Tie the top of the container with a soft and clean cloth.
- Keep those seeds out in the sunlight for a good amount of time. See that the heat is not too much as it might wilt the new shoots.
- On the third or fourth day, you will see new shoots.
- Wash the sprouts once more with clean water. You may eat them right away.
Nutritional Value of Sprouts
Sprouts can also be called the super food when it comes to your health. These germinating seeds play a vital role in maintaining the good shape of your health.
They are supplied in a high percentage of nutrients which can prove to be beneficial for you. You may choose to eat these small powerhouses of health on a daily basis. This is because; researchers have proven that they help you get over the daily ailments of your body.
It also combats against various kinds of diseases. Also, they are easily digested which it makes easier for the nutrients to dissolve into your blood. Thus, the absorption of the nutrients takes place in a much easier way.
Thus, your body can make use of the goodness in overcoming some issues. Apart from all these, the list given below shows how these seeds are a pool of goodness.
Enzymes are those substances which help your body to extract the nutrients from your food at a higher rate. Nutrients like minerals, vitamins or proteins are the building blocks of your body.
It is essential that you have these in abundance for the healthy functioning of your body. It is proven that raw sprouts are bountiful when it comes to enzymes. These small shoots are supplied with an immense percentage of the life-enhancing enzymes.
Rich in fibers
Fibres are the most crucial part of your diet. The presence of these fibers helps you eliminate the unwanted fatty acids and toxins from your system.
They bind with the toxins and the fatty acids before they can get absorbed into the walls of your intestine. And eventually, pulls it out of your system in the form of the bowel.
Sprouts are a rich source of fibers. Thus, regular intake of sprouts can help you stay in shape.
Rich in vitamins
The content of the various vitamins accentuates in sprouts than their normal grain form. Thus, sprouting makes them a storehouse of vitamins.
High percentage of phytonutrients
Sprouts are blessed with the goodness of phytonutrients. Phyto-nutrients are essential as they can help your body stay fit and fine. Also, to that, they play a major role in keeping you free from any diseases.
Different Types Of Sprouts Salad
Now, that I have given you an idea of the nutritional values of the sprouts, let me tell you about their varieties.
Bengal Gram Sprouts
They are free from cholesterol and can be eaten raw as well as cooked. They are abundant in healthy carbohydrates and are a high source of dietary fibers.
Also, these sprouts are a great supply of Vitamin B-6. They are also a very healthy source of thiamine. Apart from these, they are also rich in minerals like iron, magnesium, and copper.
Green Gram sprouts
They are filled with acute quantities of fiber.The essential nutrients found in them are – iron, Vitamin B, C, and K. They have a large percentage of antioxidants.
Bean sprouts are known for their remarkable protein value and low-calorie profile. They too are rich in Vitamin C. On addition to these, these sprouts are also filled with folate.
The importance of folate is discussed in the following section.
Alfalfa sprouts are a great source of calcium and phytoestrogen. Apart from these, they are also enriched with vitamin A, C, and K, iron, magnesium and folate. Also, they hold a lot of saponins.
These sprouts are usually made from hulled seeds and can be eaten raw. You may also lightly roast and add them up to your salads or sandwiches.
Sunflower sprouts are a good source of amino acids. They also provide a lot of vitamins and minerals to your body.
Vitamins like B, D and E and minerals like copper, iron, magnesium and potassium are present in the sprouts. Apart from the mainstream nutrients, they also supply a bulk of folate and phytonutrients in addition to antioxidants.
Radish sprouts are filled with Vitamin A, B, C, E, K and amino acids.
Red lentil sprouts
Red lentils are the best source of proteins. They are extremely low in calories and also, possess the goodness of Vitamin C, folate, and potassium.
They are extremely rich in dietary fiber along with essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals. They are plenty in proteins and are very low in fat.
You just saw that there are so many varieties of sprouts. Thus, this also means that these provide you with numerous health benefits. Let us see what all can these magical sprouts fetch you.
Health Benefits Of Eating Sprouts
Studies have successfully proven that consumption of sprouts can yield you a healthy body. This is because; they provide you with unbeatable therapeutic benefits.
These benefits will prevent you from diseases and thus, help you stay fit. Sprouts are favored worldwide by fitness lovers for their high nutritional content. Let me tell you how these sprouts will help you prevent and fight some issues.
- Takes care of your digestive system. The sprouts are a rich source of fiber. This dietary fiber helps your food to pass easily through all the compartments in the digestive system. Thus, it maintains the health of your digestive system.
- Maintains your blood sugar level.
- Prevents blood pressure and cholesterol.
- The dietary fiber helps to keep a check on your weight.
- Helps your skin and hair. Vitamin C helps to maintain the charm of your skin. Keeps it free of blemishes and maintains the radiance.
- Healthy for your heart. The antioxidants in the sprouts help your heart to stay healthy.
- Keeps stroke at a distance.
- The Vitamin C present in the sprouts helps your body to fight cold.
- Boosts your immune system.
- Develops red blood cells and helps your body to maintain all its functions. Namely, cell repair and maintenance, metabolism, synthesis of DNA, the genesis of leukocytes and erythrocytes etc.
- Helps strengthening of your bones.
- Prevents cancer
Cancer is one of those diseases which not only change the life of the patient alone but also of his/her family.
The sulforaphane present in the sprouts have an unbeatable quality of fighting and preventing cancer. Regular consumption of these small treasures can keep you safe from cancers. Thus, it is a blessing for all of us.
- For healthy muscles: The presence of amino acids will help your muscles to repair.
- Sprouts can also fetch you better vision.
- Controls blood clotting and bone mineralization.
- Improvises liver and gallbladder performance.
- Sprouts can cure jaundice. They do this by removing all the excess bilirubin from the blood.
- Detoxifies blood.
- The alkalinity of your body is balanced by the consumption of sprouts.
- These reduce the threat of osteoporosis. The substance thiamin present in the sprouts takes care of the energy metabolism. And thus, the production of hormones and neurotransmitters is controlled.
- These super grains also help prevent and control diabetes.
- They are also effective in controlling hypertension.
- Sprouts help in relieving issues faced due to of menopause and hot flushes.
- Saponins present the sprouts reduces LDL cholesterol.
- Improves hair growth and maintains hair health
How To Eat Sprouts?
Now, that you know the various benefits of the superfood, let me add some ways by which you can have them.
- Simply stir fry the sprouts or make dishes out of them like stews, soups or curries.
- You may also have them raw by adding them to your salads or sandwiches.
- You can make smoothies out of those fresh raw sprouts and flavor them up with berries.
- Try mixing the sprouts to flavored or plain cheese and use it as a dip. You may also use it as a sandwich spread.
- Mix a spoonful or two to scrambled eggs.
- You can also try them with various rice dishes.
- Add some with your dosa or uttapam and experience a change of taste.
How many Sprouts Should I Eat Day
You should add sprout to your daily diet.Quantity depends on upon your need.One small bowl should be a good option.There is no hard and fast rule on how much one can consume.
The only thing that you should keep in mind that you shouldn’t over eat.Sometimes it is difficult to digest if you eat a lot of sprouts.Start with a small portion; then you can increase accordingly.
Drawbacks And Precautions
Like every other thing on this planet, these germinating sprouts also have a downside. When so many positive points are loaded in these beautiful grains, it is well expected that they also possess negatives.
My opinion is to make sure of all the negativities in any food article before I eat them. Listed below are some of the drawbacks.
- These sprouts may lead to various infections like salmonella and E.coli due to bacteria outbreak in them.
You need to clean the sprouts thoroughly to avoid this. Proper washing will eliminate the bacteria and give you fresh sprouts.
- If you are allergic, then I would advise you not to have them. These are because it can deteriorate your immune system.
- People who have a sensitive immune system are also advised to avoid them as they can be difficult to digest.
- Sprouts can also lead to the reduction in your blood cell count due to the presence of L-Cavanine in them. It is toxic in nature and thus, can be very dangerous for you.
- Make it a note to only buy and eat fresh sprouts. Try to keep them refrigerated so that you can keep a check on the growth of bacteria in it.
Also, try to eat them as soon as you can once they germinate. Else, you will have to face the disadvantages.
Sprouts are the germinating version of greens and seeds which are highly nutritious. The sprouted grains are even tastier and healthier than the usual grains.
They are enriched with the goodness of nature and filled with some nutrients. Also, these nutrients can fetch you remarkable health benefits. However, we should also be well aware of the catch.
If taken wisely, they can help you attain almost everything that you need for a healthy life. I hope, this article has helped you discover and understand what all is a yes or a no when it comes to sprouts.